PDA

View Full Version : Who pays Orton?

blamkin86
11-23-2011, 10:24 AM
OK, I must admit I know nearly nothing about Free Agency. Try as I might this morning, I can't find the answer to my question...

So, we've "waived" Orton - which I understand starts a 24 hour clock. During this 24 hours, teams (in some order) have the right to pick up the rest of Orton's contract (which is just for the end of the year, about $3mil left).

I guess I have two questions:

1) In the unlikely event he gets picked up in the 24 hour window - are the broncos responsible for any shortfall of that $3Mil

2) In the far more likely event that some team waits the 24 hours and signs a contract with Orton, are we on the hook - for anything? Meaning, if no one picks him up (also unlikely) do we have to pay the $3 Mil, or are we free of that debt because the contact is ended?

Thanks for any response.
--Bill

MasterShake
11-23-2011, 10:29 AM
I'm a little confused too. I heard on ESPN this morning on Mike and Mike that if he makes the waiver wire to Chicago, Chicago might just let him slip by (because no other team is showing interest) and once he passes waivers he becomes a free agent. At that point Chicago would be able to sign him at a discount instead of whats left on his contract, so I'm assuming at that point we are still on the hook for the balance.

MOtorboat
11-23-2011, 10:31 AM
I'm a little confused too. I heard on ESPN this morning on Mike and Mike that if he makes the waiver wire to Chicago, Chicago might just let him slip by (because no other team is showing interest) and once he passes waivers he becomes a free agent. At that point Chicago would be able to sign him at a discount instead of whats left on his contract, so I'm assuming at that point we are still on the hook for the balance.

I doubt it. Game checks aren't guaranteed like in other sports and he's not owed any bonuses.

blamkin86
11-23-2011, 10:45 AM
I think I found the answer here:

"That scenario suggests the Bears probably don't need to claim Orton, as NFL analyst Ross Tucker noted via Twitter. It won't impact the end result, and waiting out the waiver process would save the Bears about $2.4 million in cash and salary-cap space by sitting tight. That's the difference between the pro-rated portion of his $7.3 million base salary, which the Broncos would pay if he clears waivers, and what the Bears would owe him in pro-rated minimum salary. "

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcnorth/post/_/id/34761/bears-claim-kyle-orton-or-wait-it-out

BeefStew25
11-23-2011, 10:46 AM
I doubt it. Game checks aren't guaranteed like in other sports and he's not owed any bonuses.

Again, the opposite of what Mo says.

slim
11-23-2011, 10:48 AM
Uh oh....

MOtorboat
11-23-2011, 10:51 AM
They've already paid him that money.

Denver Native (Carol)
11-23-2011, 11:16 AM
That scenario suggests the Bears probably don't need to claim Orton, as NFL analyst Ross Tucker noted via Twitter. It won't impact the end result, and waiting out the waiver process would save the Bears about $2.4 million in cash and salary-cap space by sitting tight. That's the difference between the pro-rated portion of his $7.3 million base salary, which the Broncos would pay if he clears waivers, and what the Bears would owe him in pro-rated minimum salary.

full article - http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcnorth/post/_/id/34761/bears-claim-kyle-orton-or-wait-it-out

This sounds like if Orton clears waivers, and the Bears sign him as a free agent, the Broncos would have to pay Orton 2.4 million - am I correct in thinking that?

chazoe60
11-23-2011, 11:18 AM
I just always assumed our oponents were the ones paying him off.

BroncoNut
11-23-2011, 11:46 AM
You are qualified to collect unemployment if in the FA

blamkin86
11-23-2011, 04:44 PM
OK, if KC really did claim him, the broncos are free and clear of the 2.5mil.

"The Kansas City Chiefs claimed former Broncos quarterback Kyle Orton on waivers Wednesday, an NFL source told ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter.
This means they now will take over his contractual rights for the remainder of this season and the Broncos are free of the $2.5 million they would have owed Orton."

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/7274326/kansas-city-chiefs-claim-qb-kyle-orton-waivers-source-says

Not sure why someone posted that we'd already paid him.:rolleyes: