PDA

View Full Version : @jamesmerilatt of Mile High Sports Radio debates me on the @BrandonSpano show

Tned
11-23-2011, 01:34 AM
Hey guys, in case you're interested.

Earlier tonight, James Merilatt (@jamesmerilatt), President of Mile High Sports Radio, and I were having a spirited debate on Twitter about Elway, the criticism he's receiving and specifically some of the moves made from the offseason to now. Brandon Spano was seeing the Tweets while doing his radio show and mentioned them a few times, and finally told us to call in and finish the debate on air.

So, if you're interested, here's the final segment of tonight's Brandon Spano show, which is James Merilatt and I debating Elway, the failed Orton trade, the Lloyd trade and a few other things.

Go to the link below and click on "James Merillat vs. Broncos Forums" in the podcast player towards the bottom of the page.

http://www.milehighsports.com/?page_id=7209

sneakers
11-23-2011, 01:36 AM
Kick his ass seabass!

Northman
11-23-2011, 01:39 AM
Well done Tned.

DenBronx
11-23-2011, 05:32 AM
Good job Tned.

I do agree that EFX should have tried harder to shop Llyod and Orton before the season started though. We might be better than 5-5 with better compensation for those guys.

But, I do see why they thought they should make a push at winning the division.

Just wish Elway would have a little more tact when talking about TT.

Joel
11-23-2011, 06:43 AM
Y'know what they say, Tned: The only things in the middle of the road are yellow lines and dead armadillos. :tongue: Yet I can kinda see both sides in ya'lls debate, too, 'cos it sounded like James Merilatt mostly criticized the timing of decisions, which dictated their nature, and your response was essentially that the timing resulted from the teams competitive dynamic changing over the seasons first couple months. I can see the logic of both views; it is easy to look back in November and say we should've been shopping Lloyd in preseason and pushing harder for a deal on Orton (though, like you, I cannot see whence that would have come) but that is the advantage of hindsight that none of us had THEN any more than Elway and Xanders did.

The same applies to trading Gaffney then rather than now; going into this season, I think our defence, and our front seven specifically, was the biggest question mark for most people, even bigger than QB. Trading an expensive receiver fairly low on the depth chart (much lower than I would have preferred him then, but that is a seperate debate) for a player expected to greatly improve that defence makes good sense in that situation. Obviously, had we known all the other changes on defence were going to metamorphosize it into a powerhouse and our best receiver was headed to Miami halfway through the season, the Gaffney trade would not look nearly as good, but if Elway and the rest of the FO had possessed a crystal ball that good a lot of things would probably be different now.

If Elways greatest fault is lack of precognition he's no worse than any other team executive, but still brings to the table all the winning experience most of them lack.

Tned
11-23-2011, 01:48 PM
James through up a few curve balls on the radio, that I hadn't been discussing with him via Twitter, like simply the mistake of waiving Orton, when the most likely team to get him would be the Bears who we play in three weeks.

My main issue discussed on Twitter, before we went on air to finish up, was that it was hard to blame Elway for not being able to trade Orton before the season, because all reports were that Miami was the only team interested in trading for him, with his stats, $9 million salary & free agent after the season.

vandammage13
11-23-2011, 02:43 PM
I thought both sides presented their cases well...

I tend to agree with the other guy that Elway has made mistakes along the way, but as far as the Orton trade debacle, Tned was right when he said that there wasn't a long list of teams wanting Orton.

vandammage13
11-23-2011, 02:51 PM
How is Castle anyway?...never seen it, but I'm looking for a new show to get into ever since Lost and 24 ended.

HammeredOut
11-23-2011, 02:52 PM
Good job Tned.

I do agree that EFX should have tried harder to shop Llyod and Orton before the season started though. We might be better than 5-5 with better compensation for those guys.

But, I do see why they thought they should make a push at winning the division.

Just wish Elway would have a little more tact when talking about TT.

I told you so at the start of the season. Start the season with Tebow, and trade Lloyd, and Orton.

We could get the extra 4th, 5th rounder that could be traded down for a 3rd, which might have helped us to trade up and select Andrew Luck. Now we missed out on the Orton window.

I was content with starting the season with Tebow, Decker as the number 1 options, to not only shut up fans, but give John Elway an easy way out to say, "I told you so, and also the fans have seen what Tebow about".

Although, Tebow has slipped us up out of the top 10. Whos to say, a team like Jacksonville, Miami, or even Seattle isn't willing to send a 2nd rounder for Tim, as his high winning percentage could be the crucial part of the negotiating process. If the cards are right for Denver, and during the Draft.

I am betting that since Elway played his way to a 1-4 record with Orton, that Elway knew in the back of his mind, somehow Tebow could do the same because he knew Tebow was not a complete product. The plan I think, back fired on him.

If Elway only knew how good Cam Newton was going to be, im sure it wouldn't have mattered much, and the cost wouldn't have been as high as its going to be this up and coming draft for a QB. Although, we did select a HOF in the making.

Either way-- Elway was a day late, and a nickel short

Superchop 7
11-23-2011, 02:57 PM
Nice Job.....no matter what....this forum has respect.

Superchop 7
11-23-2011, 03:45 PM
What I enjoyed the most was that it was an intelligent debate.

If they had any sense......you would be a regular on the program.

Tned
11-23-2011, 04:35 PM
What I enjoyed the most was that it was an intelligent debate.

If they had any sense......you would be a regular on the program.

Thanks.

I think it's the fourth time I've been on. Anywhere from a few minutes to a full segment like last night. Always fun.

How is Castle anyway?...never seen it, but I'm looking for a new show to get into ever since Lost and 24 ended.

It's good. Not my favorite show, but enjoyable. Nothing like the action that 24 had.

BORDERLINE
11-23-2011, 05:07 PM
GREAT JOB TNED!!!!

liked the debate, you held your own. You should do this more often.

Tned
11-23-2011, 09:45 PM
GREAT JOB TNED!!!!

liked the debate, you held your own. You should do this more often.

I don't know, I tend to shy away from heated discussions/debates these days.

I didn't even manage to three-pete as "most likely to win an argument" in the BF awards this year...

Oh yea, now I remember, that's only because we didn't have a vote!!!

TXBRONC
11-23-2011, 10:05 PM
Way to hold your ground Tned. :beer:

wayninja
11-23-2011, 10:37 PM
Nice job, good to see some action with the passion.

nflfan
11-23-2011, 10:45 PM
Great job, Tned.

I hate it when it's your turn in the debate, then James rudely jumps in and interrupts. It shows a lack of discipline, and smells of desperation.

Your reasoning for keeping Lloyd earlier, why the Broncos released him later, and why limited teams were that interested in Orton were valid, objective points. James' reasoning against it was really just jumbled up rhetoric, trying to save his situation.

You were also absolutely right on calling him out on John Fox. He clearly stated that it was one of Elway's correct moves, then he later criticized the Broncos' coach evaluation process. James doubled back and said, "of the pool of candidates", just so he could support his statement of the flawed evaluation process.

It's funny that James kept insisting he was in the middle, and being objective. He sounded anything but. You know a person's not being objective when he can't acknowledge good points, and instead tries to attack every point .... then you know, he's just trying to win a debate. Objectivity has nothing to do with it.

You won that one by a landslide, and you did it while keeping your composure, and waiting your turn to speak.

Excellent job.

wayninja
11-23-2011, 10:48 PM
Tned:

I'm just someone who doesn't like extreme positions.

Awesomesauce.

I love how the guy thinks that if he points out some good things it totally negates his radically negative views.

Slick
11-25-2011, 01:07 PM
If I wasn't at the dive shop I would be masturbating to the sound of Tned's voice.

DenBronx
11-25-2011, 01:30 PM
If I wasn't at the dive shop I would be masturbating to the sound of Tned's voice.

But he likes poodles and that nullifies his manly voice.