PDA

View Full Version : Has the High five system made us lazy?

Slick
01-16-2009, 04:28 PM
I recently received a PM regarding a salute I sent to a poster I admire and respect. Basically we talked a little about how impersonal we have become, how we just click high 5 and move along.

I get about 20 high 5's to every one salute. Anyone else notice this, and have we become too impersonal or lazy?

I'm not trying to open a can of worms here, but I am wondering if anyone feels the same way.

broncofaninfla
01-16-2009, 04:33 PM
LOL! Funny you say that. I find myself clicking the high five a lot lately but I do so when I agree with what is being said or show some solidarity with the post. I noticed I high five some members more than others but it is purely out of coincidence as I rarely notice who posts, I concentrate more on the content. It did make me realize that that there are some members that seem to share the same opinions with and others just the opposite.

gnomeflinger
01-16-2009, 04:38 PM
For me, it's more busy than lazy. I have kids to manage, a house to manage, and I come to the computer for breaks in the routine. Sometimes all I can do is skim and high five just to acknowledge I read and approved. Sometimes I don't have anything to add, but approve just the same.

Slick
01-16-2009, 04:48 PM
I get that we're busy, don't have time, whatever(I still think that's a lame excuse, you're not too busy if you spend a few hours here on a daily basis) I'm not saying the high 5 system is a bad thing. It's just that sometimes I feel that we lose that personal touch like we used to have with each other on our old forums.

I try to take the time to at least say something, even if it's a simple "LMAO" when someone cracks me up.

gnomeflinger
01-16-2009, 04:51 PM
I'm not disagreeing with you. I try not to be impersonal. You are right though - if we have time to reply to a post, we have time to give a salute. I shall try to do better.

Slick
01-16-2009, 05:01 PM
hotrod, you smartass. :lol:

I'll give an example. dogfish, a person who I've known as a poster for several years now, started a thread. I'm sure most of us saw that. He poured his heart out. Lost his grandfather, folks got robbed, living in a place he's not really happy.

I high 5-ed the guy. How lame is that?

Magnificent Seven
01-16-2009, 05:04 PM
I recently received a PM regarding a salute I sent to a poster I admire and respect. Basically we talked a little about how impersonal we have become, how we just click high 5 and move along.

I get about 20 high 5's to every one salute. Anyone else notice this, and have we become too impersonal or lazy?

I'm not trying to open a can of worms here, but I am wondering if anyone feels the same way.

high fives are boring. I like Mile High Salute better.

Denver Native (Carol)
01-16-2009, 05:23 PM
One thing I found out, if you give a Hi-5, you can not give a Mile High Salute for the same post, but if you remove your Hi-5, you can then give a Mile High Salute, and also then give a Hi-5. I have done this before, as I have given a Hi-5, and then thought about it, and thought I should have given a Mile High Salute.

Lonestar
01-16-2009, 05:25 PM
I get alot of HI-5's and just a few MHS and for the most part they mean so much more.. One of these day's I'll figure out how to place smilie in them, as it never has worked for me..

I use them alot for letting folks know they misspelled something or use a word out of context.. not as a mean thing but to let them know even if it is a message board perceptions are important..

I also sometime do it to let them Know I do not agree with them. but do not need to state it on the forum..

Now let me add MHS should never be used to attack someone like we have had a few folks do here.. It is the same as taking a shot at someone in any open forum..

IF someone does PLEASE make sure to forward it to a mod or Tned..

gnomeflinger
01-16-2009, 05:29 PM

I'll give an example. dogfish, a person who I've known as a poster for several years now, started a thread. I'm sure most of us saw that. He poured his heart out. Lost his grandfather, folks got robbed, living in a place he's not really happy.

I feel weird about high fiving sucky things. It just seems odd to say kudos for death and illness. KWIM?

Slick
01-16-2009, 05:30 PM
One thing I found out, if you give a Hi-5, you can not give a Mile High Salute for the same post, but if you remove your Hi-5, you can then give a Mile High Salute, and also then give a Hi-5. I have done this before, as I have given a Hi-5, and then thought about it, and thought I should have given a Mile High Salute.

I've done the same thing many times myself Carol, thought to myself, that post deserved more than a high 5.

I get alot of HI-5's and just a few MHS and for the most part they mean so much more.. One of these day's I'll figure out how to place smilie in them, as it never has worked for me..

I use them alot for letting folks know they misspelled something or use a word out of context.. not as a mean thing but to let them know even if it is a message board perceptions are important..

I also sometime do it to let them Know I do not agree with them. but do not need to state it on the forum..

Now let me add MHS should never be used to attack someone like we have had a few folks do here.. It is the same as taking a shot at someone in any open forum..

I can never seem to get the smiley to work either, I've resorted to :) instead.

gnomeflinger
01-16-2009, 05:31 PM

Except for threads like the Negative Salute Thread where nothing in there is personal at all. It's just insults for fun.

Slick
01-16-2009, 05:32 PM
I feel weird about high fiving sucky things. It just seems odd to say kudos for death and illness. KWIM?

It does seem odd. I think we all know it means, we agree, that sucks, or my condolences, but I agree, kind of a strange way to show it.

Dortoh
01-16-2009, 05:36 PM

:lol: I was wondering if anyone would catch that

gnomeflinger
01-16-2009, 05:36 PM
Jrwiz, I sent you a salute regarding your post. ;)

turftoad
01-16-2009, 05:48 PM
I agree. A quick MHS means much more than a hi 5.

Lonestar
01-16-2009, 06:54 PM
Jrwiz, I sent you a salute regarding your post. ;)

so how do you get the :D in the MHS..

gnomeflinger
01-16-2009, 06:56 PM
so how do you get the :D in the MHS..

:uh: The same way you put it here.

Lonestar
01-16-2009, 07:04 PM
:uh: The same way you put it here.

I do not see the smilies when I do the MHS.. do you?

Northman
01-16-2009, 07:08 PM
Pfft, i love the Hi 5 system. Makes less work for me. I let all of you geniuses do all the talking and i just sit in the back of the classroom nodding my head piping in here and there. Hell, some would say the less i talk the better. lol

gnomeflinger
01-16-2009, 07:25 PM
I do not see the smilies when I do the MHS.. do you?

I have... in the past. Maybe they don't work anymore? :whoknows:

West
01-17-2009, 04:35 PM
I think it is kinda lazy. I actually try and give a MHS rather than a Hi-5 cause I like interacting with people. We are on a message board afterall.

bengaaaaals1688
01-17-2009, 04:57 PM
Pfft, i love the Hi 5 system. Makes less work for me. I let all of you geniuses do all the talking and i just sit in the back of the classroom nodding my head piping in here and there. Hell, some would say the less i talk the better. lol

QFT and emphasis... I for one would rather Northman just posted pictures and never spoke.:D

As for the high five thing... It is pure laziness on my part, but, if it is in a thread where I actually feel I want to take part, I usually respond to the post and my feelings are known from there.

gnomeflinger
01-17-2009, 05:04 PM
QFT and emphasis... I for one would rather Northman just posted pictures and never spoke.:D

As for the high five thing... It is pure laziness on my part, but, if it is in a thread where I actually feel I want to take part, I usually respond to the post and my feelings are known from there.

That's how I am too.

gnomeflinger
01-17-2009, 05:16 PM
JON, you're a mega dork. :salute:

NameUsedBefore
01-17-2009, 07:45 PM
Meh, it feels that way sometimes, but whatever. I rarely use 'em because I don't like physical e-contact.

Lonestar
01-20-2009, 05:29 PM
:bump2: for more ideas..

Thnikkaman
01-20-2009, 05:44 PM
I think the Hi-5 has kept us from having many "I Agree" or "Good For You" posts. I like having both the Hi-5 and the MHS.

I don't think its making me lazy since its giving me a chance to acknowledge someone in a way that I would not normally. If there is something that I want to add and make it personal, that is when I feel a MHS is appropriate. Overall, I think the High 5 makes me more willing to read 10 pages of a thread.

gnomeflinger
01-20-2009, 05:48 PM
Acknowledgment is good, personal acknowledgment is better. Not saying we need to respond to every post because that's ridiculous. A personal laugh or Agreed or a side note is nice too. I think for the most part, no one feels ignored by everyone, but like our kids, they know we love them but they like to hear it too.

Jaws
01-20-2009, 06:29 PM
It not only has made me lazy, but it's also caused me to put five pounds on! ;)

Nomad
01-20-2009, 06:54 PM
Why does it matter???? high five or mile high:whoknows:

gnomeflinger
01-20-2009, 07:12 PM
Everything matters. :shocked:

Lonestar
01-20-2009, 07:15 PM
I think the Hi-5 has kept us from having many "I Agree" or "Good For You" posts. I like having both the Hi-5 and the MHS.

I don't think its making me lazy since its giving me a chance to acknowledge someone in a way that I would not normally. If there is something that I want to add and make it personal, that is when I feel a MHS is appropriate. Overall, I think the High 5 makes me more willing to read 10 pages of a thread.

this is indeed the part I like to be able to tell something mostly brief about their post.. 95% of them are positive and funny then there are the ones I send to Top..:laugh::laugh: