Dortoh
01-16-2009, 03:37 PM
Mr. Mike McCoy

:confused:

Lonestar
01-16-2009, 03:41 PM
Mr. Mike McCoy

:confused:

guess that means ricky and Jeremy are history..

dogfish
01-16-2009, 03:43 PM
huh?

Dortoh
01-16-2009, 03:43 PM
Nope Dennison and Turner are both staying. Bates is gone

http://www.rockymountainnews.com/news/2009/jan/16/mcdaniels-keeps-dennison-broncos-staff/

"ENGLEWOOD — Broncos head coach Josh McDaniels has notified longtime assistant Rick Dennison that he will be retained on team's staff.

Dennison, like running backs coach Bobby Turner who also has been retained, was a member of Mike Shanahan's original staff with the Broncos when Shanahan was hired by the team in 1995."

Lonestar
01-16-2009, 03:45 PM
so what is ricky gonna do carry coffee for the new boss.?

Dortoh
01-16-2009, 03:47 PM
http://www.panthers.com/panthers/uploadedImages/Team/Coaches/McCoy-Mike_03Headshot.jpg

QBC of the Panthers

Ricky will still be the Oline coach
Turner RB coach obviously

TXBRONC
01-16-2009, 03:47 PM

How about working with offensive line like has the past few years?

Denver Native (Carol)
01-16-2009, 03:49 PM
http://www.rockymountainnews.com/news/2009/jan/16/mcdaniels-keeps-dennison-broncos-staff/

Dennison to stay with Broncos as offensive line coach

ENGLEWOOD — Broncos head coach Josh McDaniels has notified longtime assistant Rick Dennison that he will be retained on team's staff.

Dennison, like running backs coach Bobby Turner who also has been retained, was a member of Mike Shanahan's original staff with the Broncos when Shanahan was hired by the team in 1995.

Dennison, who had also interviewed with team officials about the head coaching job, met with McDaniels this past Tuesday about remaining on the staff.

Dennison coordinated the team's run game as well as coached the offensive line.

The Broncos have routinely — 12 times in Shanahan's 14 seasons as head coach — finished among the league's top 10 in rushing. The Broncos also allowed just 12 sacks this past season in more than 600 pass attempts, a franchise record for fewest sacks allowed in a season.

Dennison has been the team's line coach for three of the four best seasons in terms of sacks allowed — 12 this past season, 15 in 2004 (the second fewest) and 23 sacks allowed in 2005 (fourth fewest).

Dennison now formally joins Turner and defensive coordinator Mike Nolan on McDaniels' staff. Kansas City's special teams coach Mike Priefer is expected to the Broncos' new special teams coach and veteran coach Dom Capers is expected to join the staff in the coming days.

McDaniels continues to make the rounds in search for assistants to coach linebackers, the defensive line and the secondary. Jedd Fisch, who was the wide receivers coach under Shanahan also has met with McDaniels about remaining on the staff and is expected by many in the league to stay in Denver.

Quarterbacks coach Jeremy Bates, who has three years left on his contract, is a longtime friend of new Lions coach Jim Schwartz. The two worked together on the Titans staff, and Bates certainly will be looked at for a position on Schwartz's staff.

Bates has been cleared to interview with other teams — the Raiders already have received permission to talk to him. With McDaniels slated to call plays in the Broncos offense, Bates' job would change if he were to stay.

NightTrainLayne
01-16-2009, 03:50 PM
This Mike McCoy?

http://www.panthers.com/Team/CoachBio.aspx?id=1934

Mike McCoy
job titleQuarterbacks/Passing Coordinator
Years on Team
Coaching
Mike McCoy received the biggest test of his relatively young coaching career in 2007 as the Panthers started four different quarterbacks and none for more than three consecutive games. In doing so, Carolina became the first team in 10 years to win at least one game with four different starting quarterbacks, and that is a compliment to McCoy.

In his ninth season on the Panthers coaching staff, McCoy has continued to see his role expand with the team's quarterbacks and in the passing game. He has worked closely with quarterback Jake Delhomme, playing a role in a career that has seen Delhomme set numerous team records and go to the Pro Bowl.

While Delhomme's success parallels McCoy's career, the former quarterback's work with Brett Basanez and Matt Mooore is equally impressive. Signed by Carolina as an undrafted rookie free agent, Basanez worked his way from practice squad to the active roster in 2006, while Moore went from being claimed off waivers prior to the start of the regular season to successfully starting the Panthers last three games in 2007 under McCoy's watchful eye.

McCoy has gained a wealth of experience in a very short time, working with four offensive coordinators and two head coaches. On game day McCoy literally is the voice in the quarterback's ear as he relays the play calls to the quarterback. However, his contributions extend throughout the week in quarterback meetings, on the practice field and with game preparation.

Learning his lessons well, the fruits of McCoy's labor can be seen in the production of Delhomme, who ranks first on the team's career passing list in completions, yards and touchdown passes. More importantly, the Panthers rank ninth in the League for most games won since the start of the 2002 season.

In his first six seasons with Carolina, McCoy experienced multiple sides of coaching, working as an offensive assistant, quarterbacks coach and wide receivers coach. Hired as an offensive assistant in 2000, McCoy was thrust into the quarterbacks coaching role after four weeks of the season. As a rookie coach, he worked with quarterback Steve Beuerlein, helping the NFL veteran to one of his best seasons.

A year later, McCoy was named wide receivers coach and did a most commendable job with an injury-riddled corps. He helped veteran Isaac Byrd to his best pro season and assisted in the development of rookie Steve Smith.

With the arrival of head coach John Fox in 2002, McCoy once again served as offensive assistant and oversaw tape breakdown for statistical tendencies, assisted in game plan preparation and worked with the Panthers quarterbacks.

Playing and Personal
McCoy's résumé includes college and professional playing experience. Originally signed as an undrafted free agent in 1995 by the Denver Broncos, he spent the 1995 season on the Green Bay Packers practice squad. In 1997, he saw his first pro playing time as a member of the Amsterdam Admirals of NFL Europe and earned a roster spot with the San Francisco 49ers, serving as the team's third quarterback for one game. In 1998, McCoy went to training camp with the Philadelphia Eagles and completed his playing career with the Calgary Stampeders of the Canadian Football League in 1999.

McCoy's college career took a number of turns but ended in dramatic fashion as he threw a game-winning, five-yard touchdown pass to wide receiver Kevin Dyson in the final minute to give Utah a 16-13 win over Arizona in the Freedom Bowl. He started his college career at Long Beach State, where he played for legendary head coach George Allen. A native of Novato, CA, McCoy and his wife, Kellie, have a daughter, Olivia, and a son, Luke, and live in Charlotte.

History
Quarterback Long Beach State 1990-91, Utah 1992-94. Pro quarterback: Amsterdam Admirals (NFLE) 1997, Calgary Stampeders (CFL) 1999. Pro coach: joined Panthers in 20

topscribe
01-16-2009, 03:50 PM

It is a sign that McD probably is going to retain at least some of the ZBS.

Which is smart. Nothing has been more effective . . .

-----

dogfish
01-16-2009, 03:52 PM
i'm really glad they're keeping dennison and turner-- smart move, and it makes me feel good about the direction doogie is taking so far. . . losing bates is a bit of a disappointment IMO (i know not everyone agrees), but it's not unexpected-- i thought retaining the other two was the top priority, so it's good to see that happen. . .

i don't think i've ever heard of mccoy before. . . .

dogfish
01-16-2009, 03:54 PM
so should we expect a division of labor where mccoy is largely responsible for the passing game, dennison for the running game and doogie calling plays?

NightTrainLayne
01-16-2009, 03:56 PM
so should we expect a division of labor where mccoy is largely responsible for the passing game, dennison for the running game and doogie calling plays?

Sounds reasonable I guess. Dennison and Turner at least work well together.

broncofaninfla
01-16-2009, 03:58 PM
I'm glad to see Dennison and Turner staying, gives me faith in our running game and pass protection. Don't know much on McCoy though. With McD saying he is going to call the plays, what exactly will McCoy do?

Benetto
01-16-2009, 03:59 PM
Bates called some stupid plays last year...3rd and 13 and the mofo calls a screen. Yeah that works when the other team hasn't watched any of your film....Dude couldn't call a play to catch the defense with their pants down, if his job depended on it...He was too predictable and called ridiculous plays left and right.

Sure he hit a bulls eye every now and then, but my little nephew does the same when he plays madden.

If you ask me, Bates was a average coordinator with a great set of players...And still couldn't get the job done..How many turnovers did we have? Was ball protection stressed enough for the players? Did they study enough film so we can avoid certain plays against un-seen defensive formations?

Jay is gonna have to grow up and realize he can make buddies with other coordinators. Other coordinators and coaches will base the offense on 11 different players and mix it up (TO AVOID TURNOVERS) rather than call plays Jay is comfortable with.

Dortoh
01-16-2009, 04:00 PM
Although he was just a QBC in Carolina atleast it is promising the Panthers liked to pound the rock......

WTE
01-16-2009, 04:02 PM

:laugh: Doogie :laugh:

Dortoh
01-16-2009, 04:07 PM
McDaniels
McCoy
McDermott - maybe

Weird

dogfish
01-16-2009, 04:08 PM
McDeadly!

silkamilkamonico
01-16-2009, 04:33 PM
McDermott would be a great get, but the more I think about it, the more I don't see him coming here.

He's the top assistant under Jimmy Johnson, and his next step would be a defensive coordinator position somewhere with a 4-3.

Coming to Denver would most likely be a step down for him.

Requiem / The Dagda
01-16-2009, 04:34 PM
McDaniels, McCoy -- who are we? THE IRA?

broncofaninfla
01-16-2009, 04:35 PM

:lol:

tomjonesrocks
01-16-2009, 04:42 PM
Sweet! Also:

...and veteran coach Dom Capers is expected to join the staff in the coming days.

Is exciting...

Get it done!

Dortoh
01-16-2009, 04:45 PM
Talking to someone else this makes sense to me now. What high profile guy was going to come here with McD already saying it will be his offense and he will be calling the plays.

Medford Bronco
01-16-2009, 04:48 PM
:laugh: Doogie :laugh:

I hope he does not end up this this Doogie :lol:

http://bestuff.com/images/images_of_stuff/210x600/doogie-howser-36227.jpg?1173505731

tomjonesrocks
01-16-2009, 05:06 PM
We can stop calling our head coach "Doogie" anytime, IMO...

topscribe
01-16-2009, 05:07 PM
Bates called some stupid plays last year...3rd and 13 and the mofo calls a screen. Yeah that works when the other team hasn't watched any of your film....Dude couldn't call a play to catch the defense with their pants down, if his job depended on it...He was too predictable and called ridiculous plays left and right.

Sure he hit a bulls eye every now and then, but my little nephew does the same when he plays madden.

If you ask me, Bates was a average coordinator with a great set of players...And still couldn't get the job done..How many turnovers did we have? Was ball protection stressed enough for the players? Did they study enough film so we can avoid certain plays against un-seen defensive formations?

Jay is gonna have to grow up and realize he can make buddies with other coordinators. Other coordinators and coaches will base the offense on 11 different players and mix it up (TO AVOID TURNOVERS) rather than call plays Jay is comfortable with.

I have to agree regarding Bates' play calling, especially after those half-dozen
or so bubble screens in the last game, all which failed.

I still don't get this "grow up" thing about Cutler, though. People keep saying
that, but I haven't seen any detailed examples. In my opinion, Jay has
handled himself very well in face of all he has gone through. But, listening to
some of this stuff, one would think he's nothing but a screaming, tantrum
throwing, spoiled brat. :tsk:

-----

Nomad
01-16-2009, 05:11 PM
We can stop calling our head coach "Doogie" anytime, IMO...

True! You gotta take the couch qbs with a grain of salt because they think their much smarter than actual NFL coaches. Other than that, Cutler should be happy with McCoy, he'll be able to unload his cannon atleast 50 times a game!

Benetto
01-16-2009, 05:11 PM
I have to agree regarding Bates' play calling, especially after those half-dozen
or so bubble screens in the last game, all which failed.

I still don't get this "grow up" thing about Cutler, though. People keep saying
that, but I haven't seen any detailed examples. In my opinion, Jay has
handled himself very well in face of all he has gone through. But, listening to
some of this stuff, one would think he's nothing but a screaming, tantrum
throwing, spoiled brat. :tsk:

-----
Its just the way he presents himself after mistakes. I am as much a Jay Cutler fan as anone else, but I see it how it is and am not afraid to point it out when the dude is replicating a 13 year old.... after he makes a mistake or his teammate drops a ball.

topscribe
01-16-2009, 05:13 PM
McDaniels
McCoy
McDermott - maybe

Weird

The Mac Attack!! :ridinghorse::fight: :laser:

-----

underrated29
01-16-2009, 05:18 PM
Hopefully we can add McCapers to the list also....

And maybe in the draft lesean Mccoy--Why the F not.

bcbronc
01-16-2009, 06:09 PM
It is a sign that McD probably is going to retain at least some of the ZBS.

Which is smart. Nothing has been more effective . . .

-----

so Shanny's running system couple with the Patriots passing attack?

meh, it'll do I guess.

turftoad
01-16-2009, 06:12 PM
Hopefully we can add McCapers to the list also....

And maybe in the draft lesean Mccoy--Why the F not.

Pre game meals are going to be McDonalds. ;)

broncobryce
01-16-2009, 06:46 PM
Better Doogie than Kevorkian.........:D

Lonestar
01-16-2009, 06:52 PM

not if Mc romo is hired..

underrated29
01-16-2009, 07:01 PM
not if Mc romo is hired..

That was Mcfunny.

But true

Superchop 7
01-16-2009, 09:16 PM
McDaniels did a very smart thing, I tip my cap.

Seriously, Jay is just speaking his mind, he "is" the man and if his head is right....we win.....if it isn't.....we lose. He can breach his contract anytime he wants, imo, the Broncos better start listening.

Den21vsBal19
01-16-2009, 09:21 PM
That's Brandon on IR for the year :lol:

broncosinindy
01-16-2009, 09:27 PM

No there not communists.

omac
01-16-2009, 09:39 PM
What concerns me is that though I think that Jake Delhomme, for the most part, is a great pressure player, I've never been that impressed with Carolina's passing attack. For the majority of years, it's all been Steve Smith. In Jay's first 5 games of his career, it seems he's spread the ball around much more than Delhomme ever does. Maybe McD only needs him to relay the plays in.

His experience does give him versatility, so that's always a plus. Hopefully, he pans out real well here.

Scarface
01-16-2009, 10:05 PM

To be fair he was handcuffed with play calling since we never really had a healthy RB. The crap at the end of the season can't be pinned on Bates' play calling because we couldn't do anything but pass effectively.The offense looked stellar early in the season when we did have healthy RBs and the threat of running the ball.

gregbroncs
01-17-2009, 01:53 PM

I have but not since he left college as the quarterback of my Utes.

hamrob
01-18-2009, 11:26 AM
Mike McCoy -

I knew this name rang a bell. As it turns out...he was a undrafted FA who Shanny signed to a contract back in 1995. He participated in training camp with the Broncos back in 95. Interesting.

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_11481146

Tned
01-18-2009, 12:01 PM
i'm really glad they're keeping dennison and turner-- smart move, and it makes me feel good about the direction doogie is taking so far. . . losing bates is a bit of a disappointment IMO (i know not everyone agrees), but it's not unexpected-- i thought retaining the other two was the top priority, so it's good to see that happen. . .

Since McDaniels will be calling the plays, and presumably creating the primary game plans, the Bates loss isn't as big as Turner and Dennison will be. I would have liked to see Bates move into an OC type position, working with/under McDaniels and then down the road, taking play calling back over, using McD's philosiphy, which I think would have led to a nice blend of what the Broncos were doing well and what McD brings to the table.

However, I am very happy about Dennison and Turner. This will be very good for our young O-line (The Ryan twins and Kuper), and probably mean that the ZBS and one cut and go running game will stay (assuming we can find a RB to run in it.

Seems like the closest thing to the best of both worlds, bring a little more consistency and creativity to the pass game, while maintaining much of the blocking/run game.

Den21vsBal19
01-18-2009, 12:38 PM
However, I am very happy about Dennison and Turner. This will be very good for our young O-line (The Ryan twins and Kuper), and probably mean that the ZBS and one cut and go running game will stay (assuming we can find a RB to run in it, and keep him fit)

Editted for accuracy ;)

I've got to admit that I really like this decision by McDaniels.......................why bring in his own guy when he's already got one of the best in the business (Turner) to hand, and a guy who's done a great job on a line line that's 80% rebuilt from last year (Dennison)

Hobe
01-18-2009, 12:46 PM

Well that would be one way to bulk up the linemen!

:D

elsid13
01-18-2009, 01:35 PM
The only thing that means is that some version of ZBS is staying. Carolina went to last year. Interesting article

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/traini...len&id=2961153

Tned
01-18-2009, 02:20 PM
The only thing that means is that some version of ZBS is staying. Carolina went to last year. Interesting article

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/traini...len&id=2961153

File not found on that link.

elsid13
01-18-2009, 03:16 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/trainingcamp07/columns/story?columnist=pasquarelli_len&id=2961153

Saturday, August 4, 2007
Updated: August 5, 11:12 PM ET
Zone-blocking scheme just one idea to get Panthers in end zone

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
By Len Pasquarelli
ESPN.com

SPARTANBURG, S.C. -- Leaning back in his office chair, his feet planted on the edge of his desk after a crisp Thursday afternoon practice -- punctuated by a goal-line drill in which the Carolina Panthers' defense dominated -- coach John Fox insisted that he and his staff are "not trying to reinvent the wheel" in 2007.

But in attempting to re-energize an offense that ranked 24th in the league in 2006, didn't knock many opponents off the line of scrimmage and averaged 7.6 points per game fewer than it had in the previous season, Fox has overhauled his staff dramatically and tweaked some philosophies.

Gone is legendary offensive coordinator Dan Henning, who had been calling the shots on that side of the ball since Fox landed the Carolina gig in 2002. Also out is offensive line coach Mike Maser, who had served in that capacity for all but one season of Fox's tenure. In is new coordinator Jeff Davidson and, with him, a zone-blocking scheme the Panthers brass feels is a better fit for the talents of the Carolina offensive linemen and running backs.

Unlike the Denver Broncos, the Panthers won't buy in totally to a design in which the blockers "cut" the defenders, particularly on the backside of a play. Davidson has retained some of the power-based and man-to-man blocking techniques and has kept portions of the gap- and counter-style blocking Carolina used in the past.

Still, there is a pretty big dose of cut-blocking being installed here with the hopes that if the Panthers can get into a zone, they'll get into the end zone more often in 2007.

"People have made a lot out of it, probably more than it deserves, but really, we just feel it fits better with our linemen and with their strengths," Fox said. "It's not like we're doing it on every play, like some of the teams that live and die with it and don't know anything but zone-blocking. We're not being [fanatical] with it. But [Davidson] knows it, it's what he likes and he believes in it."

Although the transition to the zone-blocking package is very much a work in progress, Carolina players are beginning to believe in it, too.

"Backs like it because it gives you a lot more options for reading the hole and finding the 'mesh point.' Linemen seem to like it because, if the back does what he's supposed to do, the offensive linemen always look right, and the defense often looks [silly]," said second-year tailback DeAngelo Williams, the 2006 first-rounder who played in a zone-blocking scheme at the University of Memphis, a system that made him the fourth-leading rusher in NCAA history. "So, yeah, if we do it right, it will help us a lot."

Coming off a 2006 campaign in which the offense was sporadic, and finished in the bottom half of the league's statistical rankings for a second straight year, the Panthers seem to need some help to get back on track.

Last season clearly was an enigmatic and confusing one. The Panthers had exactly the same number of first downs (278) as they did in 2005, and their total offensive output in terms of yardage was just 27 fewer yards than in the previous season. They averaged 3.9 yards per run, a half-yard improvement over 2005. But the offense registered 64 fewer rushing plays than in 2005, and the ground attack managed only an anemic 1,079 yards, nearly 600 fewer yards than in the 2005 season.

Part of the disparity can be attributed to game situations because the Panthers often played from behind and were forced to throw the ball. Fox, though, isn't using that as an alibi for the shortcomings of his offense.

"We just didn't run the ball enough," he said. "And when we did run it, we didn't run it efficiently enough."

For the Carolina offense to succeed, Fox and general manager Marty Hurney emphasized, it's imperative the running game get into high gear. Quarterback Jake Delhomme is most effective when bolstered by a strong ground attack. Wide receiver Steve Smith's potential for big, vertical plays is enhanced by a running game the opposition defense is forced to honor. And there is simply a natural rhythm to the way this team likes to use its personnel that flows better when the ground game is in concert.

Thus the implementation of the zone-blocking scheme, which can be a demanding one to assimilate. The basic zone-blocking tenets force the linemen to work more in tandem on blocks, emphasize getting out to the second level to block linebackers and stress the need to seal off the backside so runners can cut back into the void.

Standout right tackle Jordan Gross said the changes in the Carolina system have forced the linemen to study harder, take more notes and review considerable video of other zone-blocking teams in the league. But the benefits, he said, are beginning to show, even early in camp.

"As a lineman, it allows you to come off the ball hard, full-tilt all the way," Gross said. "And the bootlegs and play-action stuff all looks more real because it spins off the running game, so that makes pass protection a little easier."

Certainly there also are ancillary benefits of the zone-blocking package. Defensive linemen in the league universally detest the blocking design because its emphasis on cut-blocking and chopping players on the backside of plays imperils their knees. So there is a natural tentativeness on the part of defenders when they play zone-blocking offenses.

There has been no hesitancy from Panthers blockers and runners, though, in buying into the new design. Davidson has sold it well, and as the Panthers continue to work out the kinks in camp, it is growing on them.

"Myself, I believe in an 'adapt and adopt' philosophy, you know?" said Williams, who rushed for 501 yards in his debut season and expects more while playing in the time-sharing arrangement with starter DeShaun Foster. "We're adapting pretty well to the changes, and I think guys are really embracing it as something we can be good at, really."

Len Pasquarelli is a senior writer for ESPN.com.