PDA

View Full Version : Friday a.m. notes: Lions want Bates?

Denver Native (Carol)
01-16-2009, 03:32 PM
http://blogs.denverpost.com/broncos/2009/01/16/friday-am-notes-lions-want-bates/

Friday a.m. notes: Lions want Bates?

An ESPN report says that new Lions head coach Jim Schwartz has Broncos’ quarterbacks coach Jeremy Bates on his short list of candidates to become his offensive coordinator.

ESPN’s Chris Mortensen writes that the other leading candidate to call plays for Schwartz is Jets’ OC Brian Schottenheimer.

Bates — as well as all of Mike Shanahan’s assistants — were given permission by the Broncos to seek other jobs after Shanahan was fired, despite still being under contract in Denver. The team had already given Bates permission to talk to the Raiders about a job (likely to be offensive coordinator) there. Surely Bates will be free to talk to Schwartz, too.

It would make sense for Bates to want to leave, especially with Josh McDaniels set to call the plays next year. But Detroit? Oakland? As opposed to working with Jay Cutler and Brandon Marshall and that young, talented offensive line here? Bates might have something to think about.

The Santa Rosa Press-Democrat is reporting today that the 49ers have offered their offensive coordinator job to former Rams head coach Scott Linehan. Rick Dennison, the Broncos’ offensive coordinator and line coach under Shanahan, also interviewed for the job.

If the report is true, and if Linehan accepts, don’t be surprised to see Dennison back at Dove Valley.

broncofaninfla
01-16-2009, 04:08 PM
Wow, I almost feel sorry for Bates. From one of the top offenses in football to the Lions. Good thing for him is if he shine there, he will make a name for himself.

Lonestar
01-16-2009, 04:54 PM
do not let the door hit him in the butt on the way out..

Other than Jays security blanket no loss..

Wish him well in DET:salute:

Watchthemiddle
01-16-2009, 07:14 PM

Im sure Jay will be just fine. Maybe getting rid of a security blanket would do him some good.

And getting rid of Bates as far as our overall offense is not a bad thing. Our offense was not that great...but I look for great things to come.

omac
01-16-2009, 08:51 PM

Jay doesn't need a security blanket. Heck, he's had no OL and no weapons on offense in Vandy until his senior season when they got a frosh WR, yet he's helped built that program into respectability, and garnered offensive player of the year honors in one of the best conferences in the nation. :coffee:

omac
01-16-2009, 08:57 PM
Wow, I almost feel sorry for Bates. From one of the top offenses in football to the Lions. Good thing for him is if he shine there, he will make a name for himself.

I think he'll do fine. I'd rather he go to the Lions, so I could root for their success, unlike if he went to a divisional rival. This could be a good fit, as the Lions might look to drafting a QB, and he could be a good mentor.

TXBRONC
01-16-2009, 08:58 PM
Jay doesn't need a security blanket. Heck, he's had no OL and no weapons on offense in Vandy until his senior season when they got a frosh WR, yet he's helped built that program into respectability, and garnered offensive player of the year honors in one of the best conferences in the nation. :coffee:

Jay has a security blanket his name is Tony Scheffler and he plays tight end. :D

Den21vsBal19
01-16-2009, 09:14 PM
Jay has a security blanket his name Tony Scheffler and plays tight end. :D
When he's not riding the treatment couch :tsk:

TXBRONC
01-16-2009, 10:15 PM
When he's not riding the treatment couch :tsk:

True he has difficulty staying healthy enough not to miss games, but when he's out there he's very productive.