PDA

View Full Version : Donatell To be Broncos New Secondary Coach?

Ziggy
01-16-2009, 09:14 AM
By The Denver Post

New Broncos coach Josh McDaniels is continuing to pursue coaches to join his staff.

On Thursday, Ed Donatell emerged as a leading candidate to coach the team's defensive backs, according to an NFL source. It is unclear if Donatell has had a formal interview with McDaniels and new defensive coordinator Mike Nolan.

It would be a return engagement for Donatell, who coached the Broncos' defensive backs from 1995-99. He also has twice been a defensive coordinator in the NFL, first for the Green Bay Packers from 2000-03, then for the Atlanta Falcons from 2004-06.

Most recently, he was the defensive coordinator at the University of Washington but was fired along with the rest of the staff after a winless season in 2008.

In an interesting twist, Donatell was succeeded as defensive coordinator in Green Bay by Bob Slowik, Mike Shana- han's final coordinator in Denver. Slowik and the rest of Shanahan's defensive staff were not retained by McDaniels.

Denver's defensive backs struggled in 2008, giving up an average of 279.4 passing yards per game and making only five interceptions while star cornerback Champ Bailey missed seven games with a groin injury. The team started six players at the safety positions.

If Donatell ends up joining McDaniels' staff, it will continue a trend of McDaniels hiring coaches with Ohio roots. New special-teams coach Mike Priefer is a native of Cleveland and spent two years on current Ohio State coach Jim Tressel's staff at Youngstown State. Donatell is a native of Stow, Ohio.

I'd love to see this move made. Donatell is a solid Dbacks coach with defensive coordinator experience. Bringing in guys who have been Dcoordinators in the past tells me that coach McD is more interested in bringing in good defensive minds to coach this D than anything else. I wonder if Capers is next.

Nomad
01-16-2009, 09:21 AM
I asked the question last night hoping the gurus around here knew the inside info! He did a great job here in the 90s but with the DBs he had any coach would have looked good. UW's defense was awful, so hopefully it was the personnel and not the coach!

broncofaninfla
01-16-2009, 09:38 AM
I'm still waiting to see what capacity Capers will have when/if we bring him in. RMN is still reporting Capers is expected to join the staff.

Ziggy
01-16-2009, 09:42 AM
Ed Donatell's NFL defenses (while he was Dcoordinator)

Green Bay 2000- 15th overall, 14 points
Green Bay 2001- 12th overall, 5th points
Green Bay 2002- 12th overall, 12th points
Green Bay 2003- 17th overall, 11th points
Atlanta 2004- 14th overall, 14th points
Atlanta 2005- 22nd overall, 18th points
Atlanta 2006- 22nd overall, 16th points

MOtorboat
01-16-2009, 09:45 AM
Ed Donatell's NFL defenses (while he was Dcoordinator)

Green Bay 2000- 15th overall, 14 points
Green Bay 2001- 12th overall, 5th points
Green Bay 2002- 12th overall, 12th points
Green Bay 2003- 17th overall, 11th points
Atlanta 2004- 14th overall, 14th points
Atlanta 2005- 22nd overall, 18th points
Atlanta 2006- 22nd overall, 16th points

Pass Defense in Denver:
1999: 8th
1998: 26th
1997: 5th
1996: 10th

broncofaninfla
01-16-2009, 09:47 AM
He has had some success since leaving Denver, I'm hopefull he will help us turn of defensive problems around.

Ziggy
01-16-2009, 09:53 AM
Pass Defense in Denver:
1999: 8th
1998: 26th
1997: 5th
1996: 10th

He had Atwater, Smith, and 2 average at best corners most of the time that he was here.

FanInAZ
01-16-2009, 10:31 AM
He had Atwater, Smith, and 2 average at best corners most of the time that he was here.

I just looked the two up on NFL.com (Players-Historical)

Smith retired after the '94 season.

Atwater left to play one season for the Jets in '99 and then retired.

G_Money
01-16-2009, 10:35 AM
Crockett was terminally under-rated as a CB.

But I wouldn’t mind seeing our corners play more physical ball as he did – and was coached to do.

~G

lex
01-16-2009, 10:38 AM
Crockett was terminally under-rated as a CB.

But I wouldn’t mind seeing our corners play more physical ball as he did – and was coached to do.

~G

I think both Crockett and Gordon were better than Bly.

SoCalImport
01-16-2009, 11:54 AM
I think both Crockett and Gordon were better than Bly.

Crockett: absolutely, but Gordon??

I guess the waters will be ever muddied by the differance in talent surrounding each player.

Put Bly on those championship Denver defenses and I feel that he'd have help over the top more often and less need to cover his guy for days.

opposing teams couldn't pick on him with double moves or pump fakes, cuz their QB'd be on his back before the play developes.

blah, blah.

Crockett>Bly>Gordon. (not factoring Gordons ST contribution)

Ziggy
01-16-2009, 12:54 PM

I guess the waters will be ever muddied by the differance in talent surrounding each player.

Put Bly on those championship Denver defenses and I feel that he'd have help over the top more often and less need to cover his guy for days.

opposing teams couldn't pick on him with double moves or pump fakes, cuz their QB'd be on his back before the play developes.

blah, blah.

Those championship defenses also had Neil Smith and Alfred Williams rushing the passer, and they had a good D Coordinator.

honz
01-16-2009, 02:26 PM
I didn't know that the Ninja Turtles coached football.

Dortoh
01-16-2009, 02:49 PM
My $ is still on McDermott

Ziggy
01-16-2009, 02:52 PM
Mcdermott is under contract with Philly for another year, so they would have to give him a promotion to bring him on the Broncos staff.

broncofaninfla
01-16-2009, 02:56 PM
Mcdermott is under contract with Philly for another year, so they would have to give him a promotion to bring him on the Broncos staff.

I didn't see his name mentioned today. Not sure if they are still making a run at him or not. Capers however is still being mentioned. I still think he might be an assistant head coach. Being Nolan is the DC it's the only way I see Capers fitting in PLUS it's a promotion.

Kaylore
01-16-2009, 02:56 PM
Yay! We'll have a secondary that intercepts the ball again!

lex
01-16-2009, 02:58 PM

blah, blah.

Yes. Bly is big time overrated and, yes, I am even taking into account that he was misused this past year. He gambles too much and cant tackle.

Kaylore
01-16-2009, 03:04 PM
Yes. Bly is big time overrated and, yes, I am even taking into account that he was misused this past year. He gambles too much and cant tackle.

He's "rated" as a second corner. Those deficiencies are not out of sorts for a second corner. How is he overrated? What is he being "rated" that is above his production?

Dortoh
01-16-2009, 03:09 PM

If they want him they will make it happen.

As far as the Bly discussion I dont see him as overrated at all. He is what he is an agressive 2nd corner who is A) being used wrong B) a second tier corner on a team with zero pass rush and a horrible scheme.

broncofaninfla
01-16-2009, 03:11 PM
I see Bly as over paid

Kaylore
01-16-2009, 03:15 PM
I see Bly as over paid

Definitely.

dogfish
01-16-2009, 03:48 PM

it's not written instone that teams have to block lateral moves, but i imagine they probably would. . . .

Superchop 7
01-16-2009, 09:34 PM
Give McDermott the position of "grand poobah" hell, I don't care, just hire him. We win next year with this guy.

Donatell would be a sweet hire, "as good as you can get" kind of hire for the secondary.

broncosinindy
01-16-2009, 09:40 PM
Definitely.

I aggree Bly as a 2nd corner is not bad.. with a couple of safties that have any ball skills would truely help him there as well. but he is vastly over paid.

Rick
01-16-2009, 09:41 PM
More important to me than whether the Eagles would let him leave on a lateral move is why McDermott would want to make that move?

He is on a superbowl contender with a great defense, why leave for the same position to a team in defensive disarray that has not made the playoffs in 3 years?

Unless he likes a challange.

omac
01-16-2009, 10:07 PM
http://www.pocosin.com/pictures/res4.jpg

TXBRONC
01-16-2009, 10:10 PM
I a hunch that McDaniels probably he can't take the chance and wait until McDermott are done with their playoff run. Should the Eagles get to the Super Bowl that's three weeks (that includes this week)before he can even be offered the job. Then what if he said no? That's three weeks wasted.

LRtagger
01-16-2009, 10:16 PM
YES! I have been asking for Donatell all season to replace Slowlick. Having him on staff would be a blessing.

LRtagger
01-16-2009, 10:17 PM
I see Bly as over paid

he just took a pay cut.

dogfish
01-16-2009, 10:53 PM
he just took a pay cut.

how much? i can't find any info on it. . . .

Dean
01-17-2009, 12:20 AM
It's good to here that we are pursuing experienced coaches, but as we are all aware with out replacement of half the defensive starters we are still screwed. You can't make chicken salad out of . . . well, you know.

dogfish
01-17-2009, 01:29 AM
It's good to here that we are pursuing experienced coaches, but as we are all aware with out replacement of half the defensive starters we are still screwed. You can't make chicken salad out of . . . well, you know.

absolutely true. . . however, i'm not convinced that slowick and burney could make chicken salad out of chicken-- i'm glad to see someone else get a shot. . . as bad as things have gotten on that side of the ball, i don't think anyone is expecting us to transform into a top five D over one offseason, but at this point any improvement would be welcome. . . with a solid chunk of money for free agency and nine draft picks, i don't see why we can't come away with improved talent at half a dozen positions on defense-- with some quality coaching, that should certainly be enough to see at least some results. . .