PDA

View Full Version : Interview with Joe Collier on the 3-4

topscribe
01-15-2009, 10:19 PM
Joe Collier was a mastermind on the 3-4 with the Broncos during Dan Reeves'
regime. This short but terrific interview is linked off this article (http://www.milehighreport.com/2009/1/15/724729/joe-collier-s-thoughts-on) on Mile High
Report.

BTW, for all your Broncos news, visit Mile High Report (http://www.milehighreport.com/) frequently. It has
become a fantastic site. (I am AZDynamics over there.)

-----

Ziggy
01-16-2009, 12:33 AM
I heard the interview. First of all, let me say that Joe Collier is the brightest defensive mind that has ever graced the Broncos sidelines. The man has a football IQ that is out of this world.

Joe thinks that the Broncos could make the change this season. He thinks that we have some players that would make it work, but we need to bring in a few more that will fit it. He also said that the Broncos should pick thier style of D and stick with it, and build on it. How nice would that be? I'm guessing that it's exactly what the Broncos have in mind.

frenchfan
01-16-2009, 02:03 AM
Very interesting read Tops ! :salute: :beer:

Collier is an expert of the 3-4 so I guess we can trust him...

You're right, MHR seems very interesting ! Be sure I'll take a look there more frequently ;)

:beer:

Fan in Exile
01-16-2009, 08:13 AM
I feel a lot better about going to the 3-4 now that I've heard Collier's interview. Thanks Top.

haroldthebarrel
01-16-2009, 09:07 AM
I have read some with good knowledge of the game say that defense is more based on talent, and offense more based upon schemes and precise formations.

That explains a bit why it is easier to create a good defense in a shorter time.
We have some jokers in Dumervil and Moss that may just fit into a 3-4 defense.
The problem is the NT, but it is possible to find players that can do one thing great as a role player. Outside that there is a shot of Thomas and Powell filling the roles at the ends.
I love the 3-4 defense. The reason I defended the 4-3 was due to personell.
At this time we are at the bottom so the time is ripe for a change on defense.
If we can manage to score consistently upwards of 24 points we only need a 10-17 defense. Something to build upon since we have nearly all the offensive pieces for ten years besides center and rb.

Medford Bronco
01-16-2009, 09:24 AM
I have always liked the 3-4 better if it is run to perfection

Lots of teams over the years have had major success running it.
The Giants of the 80s. The Steelers 70s to present.
The Ravens 2000 to present. The Patriots 1993 to present with
maybe a gap when Carrol was there 1997-1999.

I think it confuses a qB with where the rush is coming from. You have
to have Lbs that can adapt to that style.

I am all for it. :salute:

Thanks Top for the link :beer:

TXBRONC
01-16-2009, 09:26 AM
Collier said something that I have said in the past with kind of linebacker we have we could play a 3-4 defense. That being said is there is at least one that should get the axe. I liked his comment on Dumervil if he can play in space as Collier said he would be "hell on wheels".

TXBRONC
01-16-2009, 09:31 AM
I have read some with good knowledge of the game say that defense is more based on talent, and offense more based upon schemes and precise formations.

That explains a bit why it is easier to create a good defense in a shorter time.
We have some jokers in Dumervil and Moss that may just fit into a 3-4 defense.
The problem is the NT, but it is possible to find players that can do one thing great as a role player. Outside that there is a shot of Thomas and Powell filling the roles at the ends.
I love the 3-4 defense. The reason I defended the 4-3 was due to personnel.
At this time we are at the bottom so the time is ripe for a change on defense.
If we can manage to score consistently upwards of 24 points we only need a 10-17 defense. Something to build upon since we have nearly all the offensive pieces for ten years besides center and rb.

Exactly our biggest problem is finding NT. It is most difficult position on the 3-4 defense to play because he has to be able to do more that just take up space, he has to feared enough to take up at least two blockers.

haroldthebarrel
01-16-2009, 09:39 AM
Exactly our biggest problem is finding NT. It is most difficult position on the 3-4 defense to play because he has to be able to do more that just take up space, he has to feared enough to take up at least two blockers.

I at least hope the next drafts will be filled with front seven talents. I am tired of Shanahan and his love for back seven players. That I really hated about him.

Who beside Raji could be drafted to fill the NT role. I know nothing about the DT prospects in this draft.

Ziggy
01-16-2009, 09:44 AM

Which is one reason that Raji is one of the 3 players on my draft wishlist at #12.

broncofaninfla
01-16-2009, 09:49 AM
I still remember Joe pacing the sidlines with the play book stuffed in his pants. Love that guy!

TXBRONC
01-16-2009, 09:54 AM
Which is one reason that Raji is one of the 3 players on my draft wishlist at #12.

I have heard his name mention on this board before. Now the question becomes if we are switching and he's guy we want, the are we in position to take him at #12?

broncofaninfla
01-16-2009, 10:22 AM
Joe is an expert at the 3/4, he seems to think Doom could have a role in our scheme. I would have thought that but Joe is the man, I trust his take.

I think we could trade down and still get BJ Raji

Ziggy
01-16-2009, 10:31 AM
Joe is an expert at the 3/4, he seems to think Doom could have a role in our scheme. I would have thought that but Joe is the man, I trust his take.

I think we could trade down and still get BJ Raji

He said that Doom could have a role in the 3-4 IF he can move in space. That has yet to be proven.

TXBRONC
01-16-2009, 11:04 AM
He said that Doom could have a role in the 3-4 IF he can move in space. That has yet to be proven.

Absolutely, not every defensive end that comes along is fluid enough to be able to play in space. If we change to the 3-4 then it becomes a matter of wait and see.

Superchop 7
01-16-2009, 09:53 PM
Doom has the arms (long arms)

I don't think Raji is the answer, I think it would be a wasted pick. Nose tackle is too thin this year.....this would equate to a Jarvis Moss situation.

We can get better real quick with Curry or Spikes.

The guy that changes everything is Terrance Cody next year. Get him down to 360 and work his cardio program, he will be a beast.

Ziggy
01-16-2009, 09:58 PM
Doom has the arms (long arms)

I don't think Raji is the answer, I think it would be a wasted pick. Nose tackle is too thin this year.....this would equate to a Jarvis Moss situation.

We can get better real quick with Curry or Spikes.

The guy that changes everything is Terrance Cody next year. Get him down to 360 and work his cardio program, he will be a beast.

Spikes is going back to Florida, and I doubt Curry lasts past 6 or 7.

SmilinAssasSin27
01-17-2009, 09:18 AM
I really think Brace can be the guy and can be had in round 2. Dorrell Scott of Clemson is another name to keep an eye on. He's a day 2 guy, but might be wrth waiting on to fill a hole a NT.

If we stay at #12, we hafta draft Maulagua and then go after Brace in round 2. BJ at 12 isn't value....and if we trade back, I'd much rather have Tyson Jackson to play DE...and still get Brace in round 2 and a Brinkley or Worrell Williams on day 2 to play ILB w/ DJ. We sign Chris Canty at the other DE spot and our defense is almost fixed (at least on paper).

DL-Tyson Jackson, Ron Brace, Chris Canty
LB-Elvis Dumerville, DJ Williams, Jasper Brinkley/Worrell Williams, Jarvis Moss/Spencer Larsen/Boss Bailey
DB-Champ Bailey, Michael Barrett, Wes Woodyard, Dre Bly

I'd b very interested in seeing what that lineup could do.

TXBRONC
01-17-2009, 09:42 AM
I really think Brace can be the guy and can be had in round 2. Dorrell Scott of Clemson is another name to keep an eye on. He's a day 2 guy, but might be wrth waiting on to fill a hole a NT.

If we stay at #12, we hafta draft Maulagua and then go after Brace in round 2. BJ at 12 isn't value....and if we trade back, I'd much rather have Tyson Jackson to play DE...and still get Brace in round 2 and a Brinkley or Worrell Williams on day 2 to play ILB w/ DJ. We sign Chris Canty at the other DE spot and our defense is almost fixed (at least on paper).

DL-Tyson Jackson, Ron Brace, Chris Canty
LB-Elvis Dumerville, DJ Williams, Jasper Brinkley/Worrell Williams, Jarvis Moss/Spencer Larsen/Boss Bailey
DB-Champ Bailey, Michael Barrett, Wes Woodyard, Dre Bly

I'd b very interested in seeing what that lineup could do.

I disagree, linebackers are much easier to find than nose tackles. Raji from Boston College is who I would go after because you can't wait to fill that position its way important for running a 3-4 defense.

SmilinAssasSin27
01-17-2009, 09:59 AM
Raji is also the guy who is reach at #12 and has other concerns suc as lack of effort and punching folks. Brace, who played right alongside him is just as big, just as strong and has none of the baggage. Plus he can be had in round 2. I'm not against a NT as I agree it is crucial. I just think Raji at #12 would be a risk I wouldn't want to see taken.

Nomad
01-17-2009, 10:27 AM
I disagree, linebackers are much easier to find than nose tackles. Raji from Boston College is who I would go after because you can't wait to fill that position its way important for running a 3-4 defense.

I don't have a particular player because I don't research, but I do know finding a great nose tackle is a diamond in the rough!

TXBRONC
01-17-2009, 10:31 AM
Raji is also the guy who is reach at #12 and has other concerns suc as lack of effort and punching folks. Brace, who played right alongside him is just as big, just as strong and has none of the baggage. Plus he can be had in round 2. I'm not against a NT as I agree it is crucial. I just think Raji at #12 would be a risk I wouldn't want to see taken.

From what I'm reading Raji is still the better prospect and Brace still come with big question marks as well. At any rate if we are going to switch to a 3-4 we have to have NT. 3-4 defenses do not work very well unless you have that guy who can consistently take two blockers.