PDA

View Full Version : See ya Dewayne we hardly even knew ya

Dortoh
01-15-2009, 06:11 PM
http://www.rockymountainnews.com/news/2008/dec/28/broncos-might-be-looking-at-a-defensive-redo/

"The club also could look to re- work the contract of defensive tackle Dewayne Robertson, who's owed a $17 million roster bonus, $10 million of which is guaranteed and can be converted to a signing bonus that is apportioned over several years"

broncosinindy
01-15-2009, 06:24 PM
http://www.rockymountainnews.com/news/2008/dec/28/broncos-might-be-looking-at-a-defensive-redo/

"The club also could look to re- work the contract of defensive tackle Dewayne Robertson, who's owed a $17 million roster bonus, $10 million of which is guaranteed and can be converted to a signing bonus that is apportioned over several years"

I doubt we see him next year. he didnt fit the mold in NY and i know he wont again. I know its a little overboard but i am for fixing the line first. and i would go out on a limb here and offer 1.BJ 2. Tyson Jackson 3. Ron brace

Fan in Exile
01-15-2009, 06:28 PM
I'm pretty sure that the 17 million dollar number is misleading. That would be the bonus if he played 60% of the snaps, which he didn't so we don't owe him anywhere near as much.

Did anyone else read that too?

Slick
01-15-2009, 06:32 PM
I'm pretty sure that the 17 million dollar number is misleading. That would be the bonus if he played 60% of the snaps, which he didn't so we don't owe him anywhere near as much.

I thought the 60% of the snaps clause had to do with what draft pick we have to send to the Jets, nothing to do with his bonus, but I'm not sure.

Dortoh
01-15-2009, 06:33 PM

I certainly hope so because if not he is gone and were short 10mil. He wont rework a contract for a team going to the 3-4.

Dortoh
01-15-2009, 06:34 PM
I thought the 60% of the snaps clause had to do with what draft pick we have to send to the Jets, nothing to do with his bonus, but I'm not sure.

I think your correct and this sucks.

Some heads should roll for making a contract like this. Oh wait they are already gone.

McD cant be at all happy with this :mad:

underrated29
01-15-2009, 06:38 PM
ITS part of his initial rookie contract. There was no way to get around it when we picked him up....

But yes to get the full 17 mil he had to play also in like 60 % or something. He did not and thus will get a much lower figure. And yes thats also similiar to what he had to play for us to give up a pick to the jets.

SmilinAssasSin27
01-15-2009, 06:42 PM
I doubt we see him next year. he didnt fit the mold in NY and i know he wont again. I know its a little overboard but i am for fixing the line first. and i would go out on a limb here and offer 1.BJ 2. Tyson Jackson 3. Ron brace

I woldn't complain, but I don't think Jackson and Brace would be there at those spot.

Northman
01-15-2009, 06:43 PM
Some Mocks have Bmore taking Jackson in the second. But that might have been before Bmore's run in the playoffs.

Lonestar
01-15-2009, 07:00 PM
ITS part of his initial rookie contract. There was no way to get around it when we picked him up....

But yes to get the full 17 mil he had to play also in like 60 % or something. He did not and thus will get a much lower figure. And yes thats also similiar to what he had to play for us to give up a pick to the jets.

I think not, most rookie contracts last 4 years last tyear was his sixth..

63 Dewayne Robertson, Defensive Tackle

Height: 6' 1"
Weight: 308 lbs.
College: Kentucky
Born: in Memphis, Tenn.
Acquired: Trade (New York Jets), 2008
Pro Year: 6th
Year with Broncos: 1st
NFL Games Played/Started: 92/90
Postseason: 3/3

IIRC they rewrote in last year when he came here..

Lonestar
01-15-2009, 07:02 PM
I think your correct and this sucks.

Some heads should roll for making a contract like this. Oh wait they are already gone.
McD cant be at all happy with this :mad:

Ted really screwed the pooch on this one.. glad mikey fired him..:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh: :laugh:

TXBRONC
01-15-2009, 07:11 PM

Yes, it had to do with draft picks.

G_Money
01-15-2009, 08:45 PM
We're not firing him. That would mean a 10 million dollar cap hit.

We're gonna give him a 4 year extension to spread out that 10 million dollar guarantee via the signing bonus they're talking about.

Robertson will be around.

~G

broncofaninfla
01-15-2009, 09:46 PM
Yhe way I understand it, Robertson didn't play the 60% which is why we don't owe the Jets squat. I think he'll be gone

MOtorboat
01-15-2009, 09:49 PM
Yhe way I understand it, Robertson didn't play the 60% which is why we don't owe the Jets squat. I think he'll be gone

But he's owed a massive roster bonus at the beginning of next season. That's the issue.

G_Money
01-15-2009, 09:54 PM
We don't owe the Jets anything, but we traded for a guy with 10 mil guaranteed next season.

That's okay - we can re-negotiate his base, spread the 10 mil out in a signing bonus over the next 3-5 years. We could pay him a few mill a year for 4 years, no big.

But if we cut him, our giant number of millions under the cap gets cut down by 10 million dollars, instantly. As far as I can tell he's owed that money.

So no way do we cut him.

We don't owe the Jets, but we do owe Robertson.

So we're gonna pay him - but in smaller yearly increments.

~G

DenverBronkHoes
01-15-2009, 10:13 PM
Shanny's brilliant VP skills at work.....................

Benetto
01-15-2009, 10:20 PM
blah blah blah

I called you back after I missed your call..Why no answer?

Fan in Exile
01-15-2009, 10:27 PM
We don't owe the Jets anything, but we traded for a guy with 10 mil guaranteed next season.

That's okay - we can re-negotiate his base, spread the 10 mil out in a signing bonus over the next 3-5 years. We could pay him a few mill a year for 4 years, no big.

But if we cut him, our giant number of millions under the cap gets cut down by 10 million dollars, instantly. As far as I can tell he's owed that money.

So no way do we cut him.

We don't owe the Jets, but we do owe Robertson.

So we're gonna pay him - but in smaller yearly increments.

~G

4/23/2008: Signed a six-year, $24 million contract. 2008: $900,000 (+ $3.1 million roster bonus), 2009: $900,000 (+ $17 million roster bonus?), 2010-2013: Under Contract, 2014: Free Agent. Cap charge: $4 million (2008)

This is what Rotoworld (http://www.rotoworld.com/Content/playerpages/player_contract.aspx?sport=NFl&id=925) had for him. If indeed it's true, then he would be an easy cut if they switch to the 3-4.

It's not really accurate, since 10 million is guaranteed like G said. That just stinks

RunYouOver
01-15-2009, 10:57 PM
Well...at least he didn't cost us any draft picks.

Ziggy
01-16-2009, 12:00 AM
I'll have to do some checking, but I thought that he was owed that roster bonus only if he made the roster in 2009.

lex
01-16-2009, 12:27 AM
Shanny's brilliant VP skills at work.....................

Yeah, and what about DJs contract also?

Lonestar
01-16-2009, 12:29 AM
I'll have to do some checking, but I thought that he was owed that roster bonus only if he made the roster in 2009.

that is the normal sequence of a roster bonus.. but with Ted :laugh: making those contracts who the hell knows..:laugh::laugh:

Broncos Mtnman
01-16-2009, 01:02 AM

I think you're right.

The way I recall his new contract when he came here is that he only gets a signing bonus if he makes the roster. The part that is being called a guarantee is the minimum he would get in the bonus.

In other words, he's guaranteed a minimum of 10 million if he gets the bonus, not that he's guaranteed 10 million under any conditions.

I think that's what we'll find out.

Simple Jaded
01-16-2009, 01:21 AM
Who in their right freakin mind gives 10 million guaranteed to player with two shit knees? It's a typo.......

Lonestar
01-16-2009, 03:41 AM
Who in their right freakin mind gives 10 million guaranteed to player with two shit knees? It's a typo.......

mikey or ted? you choose..

broncophan
01-16-2009, 07:17 AM
Isn't it kind of nuts that we root for for all these multi-million dollar players....

speaking of myself........but I think they should root for ME......I am trying to raise a family....and with this economy......get by........oh well......back to topic.........

See ya Dewayne....

GO BRONCOS......

broncofaninfla
01-16-2009, 09:44 AM
But he's owed a massive roster bonus at the beginning of next season. That's the issue.

In March right?

rcsodak
01-16-2009, 09:49 AM

He's had "shit knees" for ever, and it hasn't stopped him from playing in the league.

The roster bonus was setup as a way to only have to pay him if he was able to play - genius, if you ask me.

broncofaninfla
01-16-2009, 10:20 AM
With all of the medical issues with Robertson, I'm hoping there is some sort of clause in there that can help void some of this money. Denver Post and RMN both seem to indicate that Robertson is gone, hopefully we don't take the cap hit G mentioned.

DenverBronkHoes
01-16-2009, 10:32 AM
Yeah, and what about DJs contract also?

and darryle gardner

and koukavadies

i can go on

DenverBronkHoes
01-16-2009, 10:32 AM
I called you back after I missed your call..Why no answer?

didnt notice squid...... u need to be more persistant

Simple Jaded
01-16-2009, 04:58 PM
He's had "shit knees" for ever, and it hasn't stopped him from playing in the league.

The roster bonus was setup as a way to only have to pay him if he was able to play - genius, if you ask me.

He's on borrowed time, it's a minor miracle he's played as long as he has, so if you're right.......it's only less stupid. But if 10 million of that is his no matter what, then it's just plain stupid.

He was already under contract when the GM brought him in so he never should have been offered that kind of money, even if he'll never see it.

Typo or not, this shouldn't even be an issue.......

Lonestar
01-16-2009, 04:59 PM
He's on borrowed time, it's a minor miracle he's played as long as he has, so if you're right.......it's only less stupid. But if 10 million of that is his no matter what, then it's just plain stupid.

He was already under contract when the GM brought him in so he never should have been offered that kind of money, even if he'll never see it.

he would not come under that exsiting contract therefore TED :laugh: or mikey re-did it to get him here..

BIG MISTAKE IMHO

Simple Jaded
01-16-2009, 05:02 PM
he would not come under that exsiting contract therefore TED :laugh: or mikey re-did it to get him here..

BIG MISTAKE IMHO

Why? What am I missing? He's failed every physical, he's lucky to have a job.

He was in no position to make demands, I must be forgetting something.......

Lonestar
01-16-2009, 05:07 PM
Why? What am I missing? He's failed every physical, he's lucky to have a job.

He was in no position to make demands, I must be forgetting something.......

mikey thought he'd save his bacon.. therefore he justified it to Pat..

After Pat had laid down the law about build through the draft and NO to high priced FA's.. BIG MISTAKE

TXBRONC
01-16-2009, 07:23 PM

I agree Robertson is on borrowed time. If stay in 4-3 we might be able to two seasons out him but I don't see him having any chance to stay if we switch to a 3-4.

Superchop 7
01-16-2009, 08:44 PM
Cut him after June 1, spread the bonus over 2 years, done deal.

SmilinAssasSin27
01-17-2009, 08:45 AM
I don't know why we'd wanna get rid of him. Who we gonna replace him with...and how much will HE get paid? Robertson can contribute and although he's not a 3-4 guy, there is no evidence we are moving full force to a 3-4 defense in 2009, if ever. Even if ya don't love him as a starter, he'd be one of the best backups/rotational players in the league in a 4-3. Sure the bonus, may be big, but it's moot if we redo it to keep him around. He plays out a new deal and we don't even notice the bonus.

TXBRONC
01-17-2009, 10:54 AM
I don't know why we'd wanna get rid of him. Who we gonna replace him with...and how much will HE get paid? Robertson can contribute and although he's not a 3-4 guy, there is no evidence we are moving full force to a 3-4 defense in 2009, if ever. Even if ya don't love him as a starter, he'd be one of the best backups/rotational players in the league in a 4-3. Sure the bonus, may be big, but it's moot if we redo it to keep him around. He plays out a new deal and we don't even notice the bonus.

Why do we want to keep a one legged defensive tackle around? Spreading the out differently (if he'll even go for that) doesn't change the basic facts. One, he's would still be starter money regardless of how you spread it out. Two, if he's not a starter then paying like one doesn't make good business sense.

BroncoJoe
01-17-2009, 11:54 AM
That bonus only applies if he is kept on the roster. We don't even have to wait until June to let him go. It has not kicked in yet.

He'll be one of the first cuts by our new admin. or he'll restructure it completely.

SmilinAssasSin27
01-17-2009, 12:35 PM
Why do we want to keep a one legged defensive tackle around? Spreading the out differently (if he'll even go for that) doesn't change the basic facts. One, he's would still be starter money regardless of how you spread it out. Two, if he's not a starter then paying like one doesn't make good business sense.

but handing him 10 mil and showing him the door is?

TXBRONC
01-17-2009, 12:58 PM
but handing him 10 mil and showing him the door is?

And having him take up roster spot when he wont contribute that much if at all is?

SmilinAssasSin27
01-17-2009, 01:04 PM
who says he won't contribute? You sayhe's 1 legged, but hasnever really missed any time. Nothing has been said for sure about a 3-4. It's all been speculation. Even if we do go 3-4 and he's not a great fit, he's still CURRENTLY an able body w/ experince in a 3-4, whetherhe enjoyed it or not.

That being said, if the team decides to take a year off of Free Agency spending and use all the extra 2009 cap room to pay guys to leave in order to start from fresh (financially speaking) in 2010, I could sign on for that. I think there is enough young talent and draft picks to still improve the defense even if we bought out everyone w/ a bad contract. I'd be all for doing tht if it will help solidify the financial future of this team.

SmilinAssasSin27
01-17-2009, 01:05 PM
BTW, sorry for the missed letters and lack of spaces lately. My keyboard is going on 10 years old and looks to finally be failing me.

TXBRONC
01-17-2009, 01:53 PM
who says he won't contribute? You sayhe's 1 legged, but hasnever really missed any time. Nothing has been said for sure about a 3-4. It's all been speculation. Even if we do go 3-4 and he's not a great fit, he's still CURRENTLY an able body w/ experince in a 3-4, whetherhe enjoyed it or not.

That being said, if the team decides to take a year off of Free Agency spending and use all the extra 2009 cap room to pay guys to leave in order to start from fresh (financially speaking) in 2010, I could sign on for that. I think there is enough young talent and draft picks to still improve the defense even if we bought out everyone w/ a bad contract. I'd be all for doing tht if it will help solidify the financial future of this team.

I don't care that he hasn't missed any time. He still has knee condition that will never get any better and that doesn't allow for him to play 60% of the defensive snaps. And considering how poorly this defense did which was supposedly was better suited to his talents that tells me he doesn't contribute nearly enough to call him an able body. So what he experience in 3-4 it doesn't mean worth a damn playing in it.

TXBRONC
01-17-2009, 01:54 PM
BTW, sorry for the missed letters and lack of spaces lately. My keyboard is going on 10 years old and looks to finally be failing me.

No big deal.