PDA

View Full Version : Baltimore vs Philly Super Bowl? (Meds Predictions)

Medford Bronco
01-15-2009, 05:41 PM
Philly vs Baltimore Super Bowl on the way?

http://images.sportsline.com/u/photos/football/nfl/img9890167.jpg http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/2005/02/01/sports/01westbrook.jpg
The Pitt vs Baltimore game on Sunday has all the makings of a backyard brawl
between two familiar combatants. These teams generally do not like each other and for the viewers like most of us are, that are not attached to either team toomuch, makes for better theater.

I look forward to Ray Lewis, Bart Scott or Terrell Suggs smashing Big Ben
hard to cause some turnovers. I also think that James Harrsion will probably
do the same to Joe Flacco. Whomever is less apt to turn it over will win this
game. I am banking on Balimore to continue their defensive dominance, kind
of like in 2000
and wreak havoc on the Pittsburgh offense. Rothisberger is a good QB that is prone to throwing picks at the wrong time when pressured. I think the stout Baltimore defense will continue this tread. I also feel that Flacco will staycomposed, along with McGahee and McClain to play some ball control, and also their other viable options like Dereck Mason on offense to score some points. Pittsburgh is a tough place to play but as history has shown us, (January 1995, 1998, 2002, 2005) that it is not
impossible to win there. Baltimore lost two very tough games to Pitt this seasonbut I feel with their being battle tested will help them immensely. It is very hardto beat a team 3 times in one season, especially a rival like Baltimore. My pick in this game is Baltimore 16 Pittsburgh 13 in an real tight defensive battle.What would you expect here.

As for the NFC Championship game I know that there is a lot of sentiment for
the Arizona Cardinals this week. I can understand that a lot of people want a team that has basically sucked for the better part of 30 years to taste success. I would not mind seeing them win, but I think their flaws are too big to overcome. Also from a trend standpoint, the only team that went 9-7 during the regular season since 1978 when the 16 game season was introduced, that went to the Super Bowl was the 1979 LA Rams. So the probability of this happening is not that great. Yes Philly also only
won 9 games but their 9-6-1 record is a bit better. It is really amazing that Philly even made the playoffs when they had to depend on Tampa Bay losing a home to Oakland and Chicago losing at Houston as well.

As for the game, I feel this will be a high scoring somewhat close game. Ever since Donvan McNabb was benched ironically vs the Ravens, he has played lights out for the most part. He had a field day vs this same Arizona team on Thanksgiving Night in Philly. With him and Westbrook leading the way, I feel that the Eagles will score their 30 pts again vs Arizona. The Cards do look good on offense and did a masterful job led by Kurt Warner and Larry Fitzgerald at Carolina last week. They will put up their share of points as well but I think the better defense in the Eagles with super coordinator Jim Johnson leading the way, will slow down Warner and Co with enough
pressure to cause at least a turnover or two to help them win the game. My final score prediction is Philly 31 Arizona 27 in a very entertaining game to watch.

BroncoAV06
01-15-2009, 08:27 PM
Well Med I have PIT 16 BAL 13.

The Ravens defense has indeed been out of this world but I just think that Big Ben gets overlooked and people forget that the Steelers did win a Super Bowl. I think the Ravens backs will continue to pound it but just won't be enough as how much do they have left in the tank? Don't expect much out of Parker either but I will go with Ben-Holmes-Ward making a few more palys to set up points then Flacco-Mason-Clayton.

Medford Bronco
01-15-2009, 09:24 PM
Well Med I have PIT 16 BAL 13.

The Ravens defense has indeed been out of this world but I just think that Big Ben gets overlooked and people forget that the Steelers did win a Super Bowl. I think the Ravens backs will continue to pound it but just won't be enough as how much do they have left in the tank? Don't expect much out of Parker either but I will go with Ben-Holmes-Ward making a fewe more palys to set up points them Flacco-Mason-Clayton.

great assessment broncoav, I think that could happen as well.

I am just rooting for Baltimore so I put what I want to happen.

Its a toss up really.

the other game would shock me if AZ won though.

frenchfan
01-16-2009, 02:11 AM
I'm not enough of an expert to predict the winner...
But I'm sure we'll see a good ol' school football game... which is good...
May be our Broncos should watch the game and learn how to play D.

IMO, it will be a sad day for RB :D

Some thoughts :
- What Pitt's OL will do against the Ravens D? Big Ben could be killed in that game :D
- How Flaco lack of experience will affect Ravens O?

PS :
Personnally, I'd love to see a Steelers vs Cards SB...

broncogirl7
01-16-2009, 02:13 AM
I am going with Steelers vs Cardinals for the superbowl.

FanInAZ
01-16-2009, 02:22 AM
As hard as I am on the local team, I am a big fan of the underdog. I would lile to see AZ go all the way, but I am expecting them to start living down to my expectation of them at any time.

A "Pennsylvania Bowl" would be intreaging to me. If so, I think Phily could pull it off and get their first SB championship.

BroncoBJ
01-16-2009, 02:24 AM
:flame: :coffee:

:lol: Jay-Kay'n Med. :elefant:

I think it will be Baltimore vs Philly as well. Though I want Baltimore vs Arizona.
Anyone but Pitt. :fight:

CoachChaz
01-16-2009, 08:38 AM
I'm intrigued at how the consensus here feels that Arizona doesnt belong in the playoffs at all one day...and 2 weeks later, they are expected to go to the Super Bowl.

ARIZONA IS NOT A VERY GOOD TEAM. They are likable and it's easy to be enamopred by the underdog and the Cinderella story, but at some point reality has to step in.

I'm not overly impressed by their defense in the playoffs because they've faced a rookie QB and a vet that had a horrible game. I guess I just find it hard to ignore the way a team plays over a 16 game stretch simply because they pulled off a win in a close game and then an upset.

EastCoastBronco
01-16-2009, 08:51 AM
I'd kind of like to see McNabb get a ring. He's got sort of an Elway syndrome going on there in Philly...albeit on the NFC Championship level...;-)
Personally I think Philly vs either one of those AFC teams will be a great game. I think AZ is going to run out of luck this weekend.

Nomad
01-16-2009, 09:01 AM
I believe the Eagles defense will smother the AZ run game making Warner beat them and the pass rush will get the best of Warner as well! Eagles win this game easily!!

Steelers/Ravens will be a classic, if you like to see a smashmouth, hard hitting, defensive game! It's either teams game, but I believe the Steelers have an experienced QB that will get them over the edge and win the game!

These are some great games to watch and Philly playing Steelers/or Ravens in the SB will make for a great game, if you like defense and hard hitting.

omac
01-18-2009, 12:22 PM
I think the better QBs win; Leinart over McNabb, and Roethlisberger over Flacco.

atwater27
01-18-2009, 12:50 PM
Eagles win because they have a great defense and a good offense.

Pittsburgh wins because Rothleisberger is better and tougher than Flacco.

Eagles go to and win the Super Bowl because they are the best all around team. McNabb gets his Super Bowl ring, deservedly.

OrangeHoof
01-18-2009, 01:38 PM
Bird Bowl I: Cardinals over Falcons
Bird Bowl II: Eagles over Cardinals
Bird Bowl III: Eagles vs. Ravens?

Nope. I think it will be Eagles vs. Pittsburgh in an all-Keystone battle.

Then again, the Steelers haven't been that strong a home playoff team in the past 10-15 years, particularly at Hines Ward Field. Still, I'm going to go with the thugs in yellow over the thugs in purple.

topscribe
01-18-2009, 03:00 PM
I think the better QBs win; Leinart over McNabb, and Roethlisberger over Flacco.

Leinart? :confused:

-----

broncogirl7
01-18-2009, 04:52 PM
Eagles not looking too good. Cardinals are looking phenomenal (sp)!

BroncoBJ
01-18-2009, 04:56 PM
Leinart? :confused:

-----

:lol: Leinart looks like he will make it to a Superbowl before Jay. :fight:

I have a friend who is pretty much IN LOVE with Leinart. Shes a USC fan. And I texted her and was like " Leinart is doing pretty good today, I never thought he'd make it to the superbowl before Jay" :elefant:

Medford Bronco
01-18-2009, 08:57 PM
Good win for Arizona today. They almost choked it away but did a great job regrouping.

thank God I dont pick for a living, I suck :lol:

Nomad
01-18-2009, 09:03 PM
Good win for AZ! AZ did everything I thought the Eagles would do! Should be a good SB regardless!!

Northman
01-18-2009, 10:21 PM
Well Med, you were the kiss of death. Az vs Pitt. Ought to be a good one.

broncogirl7
01-18-2009, 11:51 PM
Congrats to the Cardinals and Steelers. Well-played.

BroncoBJ
01-19-2009, 12:29 AM
:lol: Med.. I swear that you jinx every team. I always remember the "quiet" 9-3 Bucs thread. :lol:
But it seems like each week your picks are way off.

You bet your sweet ass I'ma flame you :flame:

ANd that sounded gay :lol:

But good stuff Med. Please Pick Pitt to win the SB :fight:

omac
01-19-2009, 03:53 AM
Good win for Arizona today. They almost choked it away but did a great job regrouping.

thank God I dont pick for a living, I suck :lol:

I don't think Arizona choked at all in the 2nd half; the Eagles just started mixing it up on defense and getting more pressure on Warner. McNabb and the Eagles' offense also started playing much better.

Medford Bronco
01-19-2009, 09:58 AM
Well Med, you were the kiss of death. Az vs Pitt. Ought to be a good one.

LOL I suck at picking :lol:

Flacco looked lost yesterday unfortunately.

I was happy for Az though I was not rooting against them.

I like Pitt in my early feeling, so bet the house on AZ:lol:

Medford Bronco
01-19-2009, 09:59 AM
I don't think Arizona choked at all in the 2nd half; the Eagles just started mixing it up on defense and getting more pressure on Warner. McNabb and the Eagles' offense also started playing much better.

If they lost with a 18 pt lead, that is choking, sorry I thought only our defense played that bad in those situations.

KCL
01-19-2009, 10:17 AM

They had me wondering if they were going to be able to come back for the win
(AZ that is).

Med...you do suck at predictions.This SB is totally opposite than what you thought we'd see...:lol:

I like these 2 teams in the SB...I like Pittsburgh but would love to see the Cards win it all.:beer:

LRtagger
01-19-2009, 10:43 AM
thread failure :D

Poet
01-19-2009, 10:54 AM
Baltimore was overrated all year. Their defense is stout, but at the end of the day Ed Reed can't beat you if you don't throw the ball like a moron.

They lucked out against Tenn, and should never have gotten to the AFCCG. Yes, they got there, but this game proved that they got their off of luck, not by being the superior team.

How you win is just as important as if you win.

bengaaaaals1688
01-19-2009, 12:18 PM
I hate this SB. The Cardinals were one of the few teams left I could tout Bengals history on, and the Steelers are the Steelers... I don't want either team to win.:tsk:

Poet
01-19-2009, 12:19 PM
I hate this SB. The Cardinals were one of the few teams left I could tout Bengals history on, and the Steelers are the Steelers... I don't want either team to win.:tsk:

Cardinals are going to get hurt in this game. The Steelers are going to get six rings, and be the best franchise of all time in the NFL.

Weak.

omac
01-19-2009, 01:24 PM
If they lost with a 18 pt lead, that is choking, sorry I thought only our defense played that bad in those situations.

I disagree.

Philadelphia came out in the 2nd half and played even better defense, and started making plays on offense. The Cardinals weren't making stupid mistakes on offense or defense to let the Eagles come back. The Eagles were just outplaying them for that stretch.

An example, on defense, Rogers-Cromartie was step in step with Jackson with extremely good coverage, but the pass was perfect, so it's not like there was a breakdown on defense that allowed for the TD to happen. It was just perfect execution.

The Eagles' defense was getting even better pressure on Warner and forcing him to move around, or get rid of the pass before he wanted to. Still, Warner never made any costly errors. Because of this, the Cardinals were forced to run the ball more in order to relieve pressure off of Warner, and that's what the Eagles wanted, since the Cardinals rushing offense this season hasn't been all that great.

In order to choke, you'd have to have not played to the best of your ability. If you are playing as good as you can play, but the other team is just that much better, then it isn't a choke.

Coming into this game, I picked the Cardinals to win on this thread, but most believed that the Eagles were easily the better team. For that stretch in the 2nd half, they were. They just couldn't keep that going for the whole game.

Medford Bronco
01-19-2009, 01:55 PM
I disagree.

Philadelphia came out in the 2nd half and played even better defense, and started making plays on offense. The Cardinals weren't making stupid mistakes on offense or defense to let the Eagles come back. The Eagles were just outplaying them for that stretch.

An example, on defense, Rogers-Cromartie was step in step with Jackson with extremely good coverage, but the pass was perfect, so it's not like there was a breakdown on defense that allowed for the TD to happen. It was just perfect execution.

The Eagles' defense was getting even better pressure on Warner and forcing him to move around, or get rid of the pass before he wanted to. Still, Warner never made any costly errors. Because of this, the Cardinals were forced to run the ball more in order to relieve pressure off of Warner, and that's what the Eagles wanted, since the Cardinals rushing offense this season hasn't been all that great.

In order to choke, you'd have to have not played to the best of your ability. If you are playing as good as you can play, but the other team is just that much better, then it isn't a choke.

Coming into this game, I picked the Cardinals to win on this thread, but most believed that the Eagles were easily the better team. For that stretch in the 2nd half, they were. They just couldn't keep that going for the whole game.

Good argument but I agree to disagree :beer:

Jaws
01-19-2009, 01:57 PM
Can you predict Squealers to win the SB please.
I'm liking your reverse psychology ;)

omac
01-20-2009, 01:57 AM
Good argument but I agree to disagree :beer:

Hehehe, agree to disagree is good. :cheers: