PDA

View Full Version : Coach Gradishar: Great Idea (Article DP)

Dirk
01-15-2009, 08:01 AM
http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_11456639

Coach Gradishar great idea
By Mark Kiszla
The Denver Post
Posted: 01/15/2009 12:30:00 AM MST
Updated: 01/15/2009 01:02:00 AM MST

Randy Gradishar (Post file)Any way you look at it, the defense of the Broncos stinks. A fine tradition crushed. From the gaudy points hung by foes on the scoreboard to the rock bottom of the NFL statistics, the Orange ain't what it used to be.

Where have you gone, Randy Gradishar?

But there is reason for hope.

Although only 32 years old, new Broncos coach Josh McDaniels has arrived from New England with a little magic dust from the Orange Crush on his fingertips.

"When I see the Patriots play defense, I see a lot of us. It's the same defense. It's the same 3-4 defense," said Billy Thompson, a safety on the 1977 Orange Crush that began the franchise's Super Bowl tradition.

So why not bring that sense of history to life?

McDaniels was hired to think outside the box.

The rookie coach could put the Crush back in the Orange by finding a place on his staff for Gradishar.

"Why am I not a Broncos coach?" said Gradishar, startled by the question. "Well, I've never been asked."

Gradishar doesn't need a job. And, it's true: He has never coached in the NFL. If the Broncos are sincerely interested in reinstalling the 3-4 defense, how- ever, they might as well hire the linebacker who made it ferocious and famous in Denver more than 30 years ago, when McDaniels was still in diapers.

Think Gradishar could teach D.J. Williams or Wesley Woodyard a trick or two?

So I humbly propose that Broncos owner Pat Bowlen do what I did Wednesday: Pick up the telephone, punch up Gradishar's digits and measure the Ring of Fame inductee's interest in returning to the football field to help Denver get back to the Super Bowl.

"Have Mr. Bowlen give me a call," said Gradishar, his modesty unable to conceal the passion for the game that burns within him. "I would consider it a great opportunity to even broach the subject of being considered to be the linebackers coach."

Since buying the franchise 25 years ago, Bowlen has done a wonderful job of honoring the football traditions in a city where many Broncomaniacs believe orange sunsets over the Rocky Mountains are proof of what's truly important in our little corner of the universe.

But, from Gradishar to John Elway, the team should take more advantage of its storied alums' talent.

Especially now, when the baby-faced McDaniels could use a few wise heads on his coaching staff, and Gradishar could be a link to the 3-4 techniques of former Broncos defensive guru Joe Collier so evident in the Super Bowl triumphs by New England that have allowed Patriots assistants to win high-paying jobs throughout the league.

"The 3-4 defense allows so many variations where you can send people, blitz or put pressure on the quarterback that an offense has to constantly check and challenge it. That's the same now as it was 30 years ago," said Gradishar, who at age 56 looks as if he could still hit harder than any QB really wants to know.

Somewhere, there's a frayed legal pad or a slick PDA with a list of names McDaniels compiled as a dream team of assistant coaches when he landed his first NFL gig as a head coach. Mike Nolan already has been hired as defensive coordinator.

Although McDaniels was raised in an Ohio football family, the new Broncos coach wasn't born until three years after Gradishar finished sixth in the 1973 Heisman Trophy voting and Buckeyes coach Woody Hayes declared him "the best linebacker I ever coached."

True-blue Broncos roots count for plenty in Colorado. Here's a way for McDaniels

With the commitment of coaches and players, the Denver defense will rise again, Gradishar insists. And it should not take forever to fix what's wrong.

"From changing coaches to schemes to injuries, the defense is kind of unstable and has been for years," Gradishar said. "But I don't think it takes years to move the needle and improve from the bottom third of the league. I don't see the Broncos getting worse. I see them getting better."

What's required first is for the Broncos to believe a strong "D" need not be an impossible dream. Add the team chemistry born of sweat on the practice field and coaches who can communicate the techniques to reach lofty goals. Trust the age-old and time-tested principles that a young Broncos staffer named Bill Belichick cribbed from Collier.

And hiring a linebacker as fierce as Gradishar wouldn't hurt.

When you want to tackle problems on defense, who you gonna call?

Start with No. 53, Randy Gradishar.

Dirk
01-15-2009, 08:02 AM
Without any coaching experience, I can't see this ever happening. But again, gotta love the love for our Vets! :salute:

broncofaninfla
01-15-2009, 10:38 AM
He was one of the best LB's in league history in the 3/4. The guy is a Bronco and one of the best Broncos ever. With a team that seems to have lost some of it’s identity throughout the years, I'd love to see him have some sort of advisory role with this team. That would be beneficial to the team and maybe that get him some more exposure so he can finally get the HOF nomination he so rightfully deserves.

FanInAZ
01-15-2009, 10:51 AM
Without any coaching experience, I can't see this ever happening. But again, gotta love the love for our Vets! :salute:

I take it that your less then 30 years old and don't know who Randy Gradishar was. The quickest way to explane this would be 10 years as a pro - straight 9 Pro Bowls. He made or assisted on 2/3 of Denver's tackles. His last years as a pro (1983), he had more then twice as many tackles and anybody in the league. That would include now Hall of Famer Lawerance Taylor! If Gradishar would have played for the Giants, he would be in the HOF as well. How it is that no one has ever asked him to coach our LBs is as mind boggling to me as his absence from the HOF.

NightTrainLayne
01-15-2009, 10:55 AM
Gradishar's great, and one of my all time favorites, but this isn't going to happen.

I really wish the writers and media in Denver would have at least given McDaniels a week before they started undermining him on every decision. It's really pathetic.

FanInAZ
01-15-2009, 11:13 AM
Here is a link to a site dedicated to getting him in the HOF

http://www.gradishar4hof.com/home.aspx

FanInAZ
01-15-2009, 11:18 AM
Oh, and thanks a lot to NFL.com for thinking that no one wants to read his full stats. If you read the stat sheat that they provide, you would think that he didn't make a single tackle during his 10 years.

broncofaninfla
01-15-2009, 11:40 AM
Here is a link to a site dedicated to getting him in the HOF

http://www.gradishar4hof.com/home.aspx

Thanks for the site! I didn't even know this was out there. This should be a sticky on EVERY Broncos forum until he is finally selected into the HOF.

Lonestar
01-15-2009, 12:01 PM
I take it that your less then 30 years old and don't know who Randy Gradishar was. The quickest way to explane this would be 10 years as a pro - straight 9 Pro Bowls. He made or assisted on 2/3 of Denver's tackles. His last years as a pro (1983), he had more then twice as many tackles and anybody in the league. That would include now Hall of Famer Lawerance Taylor! If Gradishar would have played for the Giants, he would be in the HOF as well. How it is that no one has ever asked him to coach our LBs is as mind boggling to me as his absence from the HOF.

At the time there was some talk about the his tackles being somewhat over inflated and one of the reasons that the NFL now has an official source counting statistics.. so local teams and numbers would be consistent around the league.. It used to be Elias sports bureau not sure if they still do it..

But the guy was a hell of a LB one of if not the best I've ever seen.. Even if he is brought on board for a year or two or as an assistant or consultant the PR value would be enormous.. I suspect that Mc Kid would be more comfortable with someone he has worked with as his choice..

But Randy as a paid consultant can't hurt the new group with local credibility..

Medford Bronco
01-15-2009, 04:49 PM
I think this is a good article imho http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_11456639

Gradishar was one of the best LBs that this team (and the NFL) has ever seen :salute:

Randy Gradishar (Post file)Any way you look at it, the defense of the Broncos stinks. A fine tradition crushed. From the gaudy points hung by foes on the scoreboard to the rock bottom of the NFL statistics, the Orange ain't what it used to be.

Where have you gone, Randy Gradishar?

But there is reason for hope.

Although only 32 years old, new Broncos coach Josh McDaniels has arrived from New England with a little magic dust from the Orange Crush on his fingertips.

"When I see the Patriots play defense, I see a lot of us. It's the same defense. It's the same 3-4 defense," said Billy Thompson, a safety on the 1977 Orange Crush that began the franchise's Super Bowl tradition.

So why not bring that sense of history to life?

McDaniels was hired to think outside the box.

The rookie coach could put the Crush back in the Orange by finding a place on his staff for Gradishar.

"Why am I not a Broncos coach?" said Gradishar, startled by the question. "Well, I've never been asked."

Gradishar doesn't need a job. And, it's true: He has never coached in the NFL. If the Broncos are sincerely interested in reinstalling the 3-4 defense, how- ever, they might as well hire the linebacker who made it ferocious and famous in Denver more than 30 years ago, when McDaniels was still in diapers.

Think Gradishar could teach D.J. Williams or Wesley Woodyard a trick or two?

So I humbly propose that Broncos owner Pat Bowlen do what I did Wednesday: Pick up the telephone, punch up Gradishar's digits and measure the Ring of Fame inductee's interest in returning to the football field to help Denver get back to the Super Bowl.

"Have Mr. Bowlen give me a call," said Gradishar, his modesty unable to conceal the passion for the game that burns within him. "I would consider it a great opportunity to even broach the subject of being considered to be the linebackers coach."

Since buying the franchise 25 years ago, Bowlen has done a wonderful job of honoring the football traditions in a city where many Broncomaniacs believe orange sunsets over the Rocky Mountains are proof of what's truly important in our little corner of the universe.

But, from Gradishar to John Elway, the team should take more advantage of its storied alums' talent.

Especially now, when the baby-faced McDaniels could use a few wise heads on his coaching staff, and Gradishar could be a link to the 3-4 techniques of former Broncos defensive guru Joe Collier so evident in the Super Bowl triumphs by New England that have allowed Patriots assistants to win high-paying jobs throughout the league.

"The 3-4 defense allows so many variations where you can send people, blitz or put pressure on the quarterback that an offense has to constantly check and challenge it. That's the same now as it was 30 years ago," said Gradishar, who at age 56 looks as if he could still hit harder than any QB really wants to know.

Somewhere, there's a frayed legal pad or a slick PDA with a list of names McDaniels compiled as a dream team of assistant coaches when he landed his first NFL gig as a head coach. Mike Nolan already has been hired as defensive coordinator.

Although McDaniels was raised in an Ohio football family, the new Broncos coach wasn't born until three years after Gradishar finished sixth in the 1973 Heisman Trophy voting and Buckeyes coach Woody Hayes declared him "the best linebacker I ever coached."

True-blue Broncos roots count for plenty in Colorado. Here's a way for McDaniels

Share Your Analysis

Post sports columnist Mark Kiszla fields your feedback. Look for it in Kickin' It With Kiz every Saturday.
to tap into the tradition.
With the commitment of coaches and players, the Denver defense will rise again, Gradishar insists. And it should not take forever to fix what's wrong.

"From changing coaches to schemes to injuries, the defense is kind of unstable and has been for years," Gradishar said. "But I don't think it takes years to move the needle and improve from the bottom third of the league. I don't see the Broncos getting worse. I see them getting better."

What's required first is for the Broncos to believe a strong "D" need not be an impossible dream. Add the team chemistry born of sweat on the practice field and coaches who can communicate the techniques to reach lofty goals. Trust the age-old and time-tested principles that a young Broncos staffer named Bill Belichick cribbed from Collier.

And hiring a linebacker as fierce as Gradishar wouldn't hurt.

When you want to tackle problems on defense, who you gonna call?

Start with No. 53, Randy Gradishar.

Mark Kiszla: 303-954-1053 or mkiszla@denverpost.com

Medford Bronco
01-15-2009, 04:57 PM
Sorry that this was posted before, Did not look hard enough :lol:

LordTrychon
01-15-2009, 05:06 PM
Sorry that this was posted before, Did not look hard enough :lol:

newbb

ikillz0mbies
01-15-2009, 05:15 PM
So....who would you guys rather have on the staff: Gradishar or Romanowski.

Just curious.

Medford Bronco
01-15-2009, 05:27 PM

Just curious.

Either would bring an attitude to the defense.

I personally like Gradishar better because of his consistency
throughout his career and played his whole career in Denver as well

Nomad
01-15-2009, 05:29 PM

Just curious.

I will not pretend to know alot about Gradishar because I really didn't follow the BRONCOS until the late 80s and I'm 35 yrs old. I would trust the ones who really watched the guy and know what he was like every Sunday, not just stats. We need a guy to bring intensity to these LBs and can he relate to the young guys or will they look at him as some old timer. What I saw from Romo is what this team needs but doesn't mean he is the one to coach either. I read at BM Romo was going to be the Head Nutritionist;)

broncosinindy
01-15-2009, 06:19 PM
i was 7 when randy hung it up. i was a big fan of Mecklemburg. if he was better tehn the snow goose then he was a great LB

Lonestar
01-15-2009, 06:26 PM
i was 7 when randy hung it up. i was a big fan of Mecklemburg. if he was better tehn the snow goose then he was a great LB

I'm not quite sure what Meck played he was so all over the field he was scary..

But Randy IMHO is one of the best I ever saw.. a lean mean tackling machine.. No KILL shots just flat tackle them into the ground.. and he always wrapped up when he was burying them....

Slick
01-15-2009, 06:26 PM

I'd say Randy was, but Karl played almost every position on the front 7 at times. It must be hard for those guys to watch this Denver defense.

I have to agree with what NTL said. The writers in Denver need to quit living in the past and let the new coach handle his business.

Lonestar
01-15-2009, 06:33 PM
I'd say Randy was, but Karl played almost every position on the front 7 at times. It must be hard for those guys to watch this Denver defense.

I have to agree with what NTL said. The writers in Denver need to quit living in the past and let the new coach handle his business.

don't ever remember him at NT, but the snow goose was everywhere else..

RunYouOver
01-15-2009, 10:58 PM
I feel like he'd be an outstanding defensive coach...I don't know how willing I'd be to let him start off without any experience, but it could work out down the road...

Shazam!
01-15-2009, 11:19 PM
I think legendary ex-Broncos would make great position Coaches. I've been saying this for some time.

Superchop 7
01-15-2009, 11:30 PM
He goes to church, takes pride in his family and his community.

He and Butkus are the best linebackers I have ever seen.

He can teach football, toughness, and how to be a Bronco. (Not to mention how to be a human being)

Joe Collier took the 3-4 from here to the Patriots, damn right he recognizes it.

Think Rod Smith back in the day.

Probably the first sensible thing Kizla has written in 2 years.

FanInAZ
01-16-2009, 01:16 AM

Just curious.

:confused: Gradishar never took performance inhancers, but excelled on drive and tallent. He was not a dirty player, he never spit in the face of an opponant and never assulted a teammate in practice. Gradishar was a Bronco, Romanowski was a hired gun. :confused:

:defense: No contest! I want RG! :defense:

ikillz0mbies
01-16-2009, 01:29 AM
I can't really say which one I would rather have. Being 19 and became a fan of the Broncos in the mid-90's, I watched Romanowski play and he was one vicious hitter. But from what I'm reading here, I would say Gradishar would be more beneficial to the current state of the team. If the 3-4 will be employed, then Gradishar sure has the knowledge to share with the Denver defense.

I do question Romanowski's incidents with former teammates and players and such. But hey that was the past and I do like how he has all these ideas for the team such as nutrition and training regimen as long as it doesn't involved performance enhancers.

FanInAZ
01-16-2009, 02:08 AM
I can't really say which one I would rather have. Being 19 and became a fan of the Broncos in the mid-90's, I watched Romanowski play and he was one vicious hitter. But from what I'm reading here, I would say Gradishar would be more beneficial to the current state of the team. If the 3-4 will be employed, then Gradishar sure has the knowledge to share with the Denver defense.

I do question Romanowski's incidents with former teammates and players and such. But hey that was the past and I do like how he has all these ideas for the team such as nutrition and training regimen as long as it doesn't involved performance enhancers.

I do believe that people can change their ways. No just because my Bible says so, but I have also witnessed it first hand in my life and as well as others. I also know from personal experiance that such change only comes to those who acknowledge their need for such change and a willing to take what ever steps are neccissary to bring about such change. The unfortunate reality is that few people will admit to themselves that they really do need such change. Fewer still are willing to take the steps neccissary for change.

I don't buy into any attemp to blame "roid rage" for Romanowski choosing to spit in Jerry Rice's face. He did what he did because it was consistant with his charactor. Blaming everything on "roid rage" is also a great way to avoid looking at the possiblity that he may have had anger issues before he started using performance enhancers. If so, he may still have them. I don't know Romanowski personally nor what he may or may not have done to improve his charator, but it is a valid question to ask before giving him that second chance. I'm not being judgemental, I am using wise judgement in realizing the problems that he could cause if there has been no change.

Cheez Whiz
01-16-2009, 05:41 AM
I would love to bring him and Romanowski in to this defense. I wouldnt make them coaches, but more as LB consultants. Let them come in, help train and motivate our linebackers.

Dirk
01-16-2009, 08:07 AM

No wrong. I am 45. I watched him play. My point was, without any experience, I am sure that McKid won't even think about him.

I would love his inspiration and knowleage to be passed on into the Broncos now. But just saying, without any coaching experience, I don't see it happening.

FanInAZ
01-16-2009, 09:58 AM
No wrong. I am 45. I watched him play. My point was, without any experience, I am sure that McKid won't even think about him.

I would love his inspiration and knowleage to be passed on into the Broncos now. But just saying, without any coaching experience, I don't see it happening.

My apology for underestamating your age.

A possition coach is the bottom of the rung in the terms of coaching duties. Your experiance as a player is the experiance you need for the job. It is unusual to be out of the game for 26 years before getting your first job coaching the position you played. Most players going into it right after they retire as a player.

Never-the-less, if you still believe that he needs prior coaching experiance before being a coach at the position that he spent 10 years playing, then what job should he take first in order to get that experiance?