PDA

View Full Version : The Official Computer Thread

topscribe
01-15-2009, 04:23 PM
I don't know whether this is going to fly, but we are all on here through the
use of computers. And computers mean problems, at least eventually.

From the thread OB420 started, we have a few people here who posses
substantial knowledge in computers. So, if anyone with a computer problem
will post it here, and if these guys will check it regularly, we may be able to
pick their brains and sometimes solve some problems instead of having to go
solo or pay big bucks to a technician.

Or maybe you don't presently have any problems, but would just like to do
some computer talk. That would be great, too. I know I, for one, would love
browsing this thread for all your knowledge.

What'ya think?

I think I'll also merge OB's thread into this one, too, unless I get any objections
in the near future.

-----

gnomeflinger
01-15-2009, 04:30 PM
My friend's computer has a "video card error" message. It doesn't stay on long enough to diagnose the cause of the error so she's just going to replace it. What does she need? Where is it generally located in the CPU?

BroncoJoe
01-31-2009, 12:19 PM
Alright, geniuses, new problem. Daughter's laptop was suffering from a "corrupted or missing system file, \windows\system32\config\system".

I was able to correct that issue and the system is now booting to the windows welcome screen. From there, the screen goes black and a window appears that says the following:

System error: Lsass.exe
When trying to update a password the return status indicates that the value provided as the current password is not correct.

I've never had a password on this machine, and have searched the web to try and find a fix. I've tried going back into the recovery console, but that also requires a password. Simply hitting enter does not work.

Any thoughts?

BroncoJoe
01-31-2009, 12:41 PM
* Bump *

Anyone?

BeefStew25
01-31-2009, 12:43 PM
System restore Joe. My work laptop does that like once a month.

BroncoJoe
01-31-2009, 12:45 PM
That would be an option, if I could get into windows! I'm locked out.

gnomeflinger
01-31-2009, 12:50 PM
My desktop did something weird a couple of weeks ago. I hit the system restore on the start up page, and was about to continue when it got me into windows and I was able to cancel the restore.

I probably didn't help, but I think it's F12 on the start up.

claymore
01-31-2009, 12:54 PM
That would be an option, if I could get into windows! I'm locked out.

There is a program you can download for free to reset the Username and password to null, or change it to whatever. You have to burn it to disc, and make it bootable (the disc). Its real easy to use, I will post a link in a minute.

Slick
01-31-2009, 12:54 PM
The day I stopped using Windows was the happiest day in my computing life.

Joe, did you ever get Ubuntu working on that old laptop of yours?

BroncoJoe
01-31-2009, 12:57 PM
The day I stopped using Windows was the happiest day in my computing life.

Joe, did you ever get Ubuntu working on that old laptop of yours?

I never tried it - may have to now!

claymore
01-31-2009, 12:58 PM
Im not sure if this will fix your issues Joe, but it will let you modiy the username and password to gain access to the CPU...

Information page
http://home.eunet.no/~pnordahl/ntpasswd/bootdisk.html

Bootable cd download.
http://home.eunet.no/~pnordahl/ntpasswd/cd080802.zip

Bootable floppy download.
http://home.eunet.no/~pnordahl/ntpasswd/cd080526.zip

Ive used the cd version before. It took me five minutes from download, to logging in to the troubled machine.

BroncoJoe
01-31-2009, 12:59 PM
Thanks, Clay. I'll give that a shot.

BroncoJoe
01-31-2009, 01:09 PM
So, double clicking on the .iso file doesn't give me the option to burn to CD.

claymore
01-31-2009, 01:21 PM
So, double clicking on the .iso file doesn't give me the option to burn to CD.

You have to create a cd with the Iso image. Do you use nero, easy cd creator or the default software that comes with xp/vista?

BroncoJoe
01-31-2009, 01:36 PM
I have Sonic -

BroncoJoe
01-31-2009, 01:36 PM
Should we go into the chat area? I was able to burn a CD, but it won't boot from it.

Slick
01-31-2009, 01:46 PM
http://www.ubuntu.com/

I have to run and have a busy weekend, but I still say your life would be easier if you could run this, or at least set up a dual boot, Joe. Keep windows for the times you absolutely need it, but use Ubuntu for internet, photos, music, open office, videos. Everything is there in the free download.

I'll try to check back in when I can.

Desktop edition will work on any laptop as well.

BroncoJoe
01-31-2009, 02:09 PM
Does it work with iPods and iTunes?

claymore
01-31-2009, 02:15 PM
Should we go into the chat area? I was able to burn a CD, but it won't boot from it.

I PM'ed you my number. I dont know if your bios is set to boot the CD drive before the HD.....

Im not familiar with sonic, but when you create the cd there should be an option to "create cd from an image".

Or.... the Iso image just doesnt contain the dos drivers for your laptop.....

So it might be easier to go with the floppy if you have one.

spikerman
01-31-2009, 05:10 PM
Joe,

Are you not able to boot to "safe mode"?

Slick
01-31-2009, 06:11 PM
Does it work with iPods and iTunes?

I sync my Ipod with it, but there is no Itunes program for Linux.

Some people are afraid of Linux. So I don't fault you if you're skeptical. I will convert someone someday.

But on the Itunes thing, when I switched to linux, there is a program included in the install called rhythmbox. You can drag all the music from your Ipod directly in there. If you download or purchase new music you simply drag it to your library, plug your Ipod in, and drag it to the device. It's different for sure, but it's more user friendly than it has ever been.

It also comes with Firefox, no need to configure routers, run set-up wizards, none of that, just install and enjoy.

I basically use my computer for only a few things. Music, movies, photos, and internet. You don't need adblockers, spyware, anti-virus...none of that. If anyone uses their computers in the same way, I highly recommend it.

Rick
01-31-2009, 08:07 PM
http://www.ntfs.com/iso-burning.htm thats an iso burner i have used in the past, its free.

As far as linux goes, i don't use it much as all of my programming training is in .net but if I were to chose a linux distro it would be open suse. i have tried ubuntu as well but opensuse just feels cleaner and it actually ran my laptop wireless right away whereas back when I finnaly gave up on ubuntu I never had been able to on it.

BroncoJoe
02-01-2009, 01:32 AM
Joe,

Are you not able to boot to "safe mode"?

Unfortunately not. Get the same system error message. Can't even get into the recovery console either.

BeefStew25
02-01-2009, 01:57 AM
Joe, burn your house down and claim the laptop on your homeowners.

spikerman
02-01-2009, 01:05 PM
Unfortunately not. Get the same system error message. Can't even get into the recovery console either.

Ok, let me do a little research.

Rick
02-01-2009, 06:34 PM
What about putting in windows disk and booting from it, when it comes to asking what you want to do with it select repair? perhaps it will find something to fix.

Been a while since I have done that but it corrected an issue then.