PDA

View Full Version : Cutler and McDaniels Talk

Dirk
01-15-2009, 08:04 AM
http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_11457713

After a couple of missed connections and a game of phone tag, new Broncos head coach Josh McDaniels finally got to speak with quarterback Jay Cutler on Wednesday.

McDaniels told KCNC-4 that the two had "a great back-and-forth" conversation as they discussed what type of offense McDaniels is going to have Cutler run next season.

"We had a great conversation about where we're going, what we're going to do and some of the things we've done in New England in the past and some of the things they did here," McDaniels told KCNC-4. "We had a very, very lively conversation. I can't wait to meet him."

Cutler left Denver for vacation just hours after the team returned from San Diego on Dec. 29 and has not been back in town or spoken publicly since McDaniels was hired.

The distance — not to mention McDaniels' hectic schedule during his first days on the job — meant the two had to exchange messages for a bit before finally connecting.

McDaniels told reporters Monday that establishing a relationship with Cutler will be important to him, and that he intends to work closely with the quarterbacks.

Perhaps the strongest part of McDaniels' resume is his track record with quarterbacks in New England — first with star Tom Brady, especially in 2007 when McDaniels choreographed the Patriots' record-setting offense; and then this season, when he helped Brady's backup, Matt Cassel, win 11 games despite not starting since high school.

"I think that's just time spent and effort put in on his part, my part, the quarterback coach's part, whoever it is that is working with him at that particular time," said McDaniels, who replaced Mike Shanahan. "We're going to work hard to get (Cutler) just as comfortable with my system and this system as he was in Mike's system."

TXBRONC
01-15-2009, 08:13 AM
Thanks SWM!

First of all I'm glad they finally had a chance to talk and that it was productive conversation.

It also seems that those who were saying Jay was being unprofessional and that they using common sense jumping to conclusion without any facts.

Nomad
01-15-2009, 08:53 AM
This is a good first step for Cutler. Him and McDaniels need to build a good relationship during the off season and Jay needs to soak up what he learned from Bates and what he will learn from McDaniels.

atwater27
01-15-2009, 09:19 AM
Jay Cutler has better raw skills and a better arm than Brady or Cassell. I will watch with pure enjoyment as McDaniels molds Cutler into the most productive QB in the league for a decade. I see Cutler averaging 35 TD passes a year.

Thnikkaman
01-15-2009, 09:31 AM
I expect that Cutler will make everyone forget about Favre with McDaniels as coach. I will eat crow if this fails to happen.

Tned
01-15-2009, 09:47 AM
Jay Cutler has better raw skills and a better arm than Brady or Cassell. I will watch with pure enjoyment as McDaniels molds Cutler into the most productive QB in the league for a decade. I see Cutler averaging 35 TD passes a year.

I expect that Cutler will make everyone forget about Favre with McDaniels as coach. I will eat crow if this fails to happen.

I hope, and think, that you guys are right. Some forget this was only his third year, second full year starting. Forget that "The Drive" didn't happen for Elway until his 4th year, that Manning didn't really start playing lights out until his fifth or even sixth year. Very few QB's, especially those asked to pass it 30+ times a game, turn in stellar performances from year one.

On the other hand, Cutler has a lot of maturing at QB still to do. He makes a lot of bad decisions, AND bad throws. Often he might make the right decision, but makes a bad throw (lots of throws behind receivers, not to mention high or low).

I'm still chalking that up to being a third year QB, but in the next year or so, those bad decisions and bad throws are going to have to drastically improve, or he is going be known as a guy with a rocket arm and lots of physical talent, but not a good QB.

BroncoWave
01-15-2009, 09:51 AM
Nice call, those of you who accused Jay of being a brat for not talking to McD! :rolleyes:

Way to jump to baseless conclusions! :salute:

G_Money
01-15-2009, 10:08 AM
Nice call, those of you who accused Jay of being a brat for not talking to McD! :rolleyes:

Way to jump to baseless conclusions! :salute:

What do you think this means?

McDaniels told KCNC-4 that the two had "a great back-and-forth" conversation as they discussed what type of offense McDaniels is going to have Cutler run next season.

"We had a great conversation about where we're going, what we're going to do and some of the things we've done in New England in the past and some of the things they did here," McDaniels told KCNC-4. "We had a very, very lively conversation. I can't wait to meet him."

That’s coach speak for “we yelled, he told me what he thought, I told him what I thought, and we’ll both get around to working this thing out eventually.”

Nowhere in there was, “Jay’s excited for this change” or “Jay’s looking forward to getting back.” It was a very, VERY lively, back and forth conversation. Most arguments are.

Don’t worry, Jay will get a chance to adjust to the idea. It’s a long offseason.

~G

Italianmobstr7
01-15-2009, 10:12 AM
I'm glad that they've talked. I think that Jay can't help but get excited.

jrelway
01-15-2009, 11:20 AM
they were gonna talk sooner or later. why all the worries lol.

Lonestar
01-15-2009, 01:05 PM

That’s coach speak for “we yelled, he told me what he thought, I told him what I thought, and we’ll both get around to working this thing out eventually.”

Nowhere in there was, “Jay’s excited for this change” or “Jay’s looking forward to getting back.” It was a very, VERY lively, back and forth conversation. Most arguments are.

Don’t worry, Jay will get a chance to adjust to the idea. It’s a long offseason.

~G

the lively conversation caught my eye also..

lets hope Jay comes off his high horse and realizes that this Coach can be a great mentor for him..

He needs to hair up and realize while talented and a great arm he has to have it between the ears also or he is just another coach killer as a younger Jeff George..

Glad to know that not everyone on this forum drinks only the koolade and has their Orange and Blue classes on all the time..

Italianmobstr7
01-15-2009, 01:12 PM
Why do people think because they said "lively conversation" that there was an argument of some sort? None of us know ANYTHING about what was said. People seem to be down on Cutler saying that he's pouting and he's unhappy. The ONLY thing that Cutler has said this offseason is that firing Shanahan was a mistake. That's it. That's when it first happened too. Cutler is a professional, and I'm sure that everything will be fine. It's ridiculous how most Broncos fans criticize the quarterback so fast into his tenure. The guy has been a starter for 2 full seasons. Give him the benefit of the doubt...

honz
01-15-2009, 01:32 PM
LMAO. Since when did a lively, back and forth conversation mean that they were yelling or having an argument? Shanny has always said that Jay is very coachable...which leads me to think that Jay has always respected his coaches. It appears that Jay was trying to get in touch with his new coach and I highly doubt it was because he couldn't wait to bitch him out. Why would Cutler be mad at McDaniels anyways? He's not the one that fired Shanny. C'mon people.

dogfish
01-15-2009, 01:35 PM
geez, does this mean we don't have to trade him now?

:coffee: :coffee:

:rolleyes:

or he is going be known as a guy with a rocket arm and lots of physical talent, but not a good QB.

i'm going to go ahead and say that he's already beyond being known as "not a good QB". . . maybe you can say he's not a great QB yet, but in a season where he had an inconsistent running game, poor special teams and a flat-out atrocious defense, and way too many dropped balls, he still managed to make the pro bowl and set franchise single-season records for two of the top three categories they keep QB stats for, including over 4,500 passing yards. . . he's a good QB! can he get better? sure, and i believe he will-- there's always room for improvement, especially with young players. . . . yea, he did throw too many picks-- but let's not discount that he was one of only two QBs to attempt over 600 passes this season. . . . if 4,700+ total yards, 27 total TDs and 62.3% completion rate doesn't qualify as a "good QB" then i think we need to bump the s[polied broncos fans thread again. . . .

Lonestar
01-15-2009, 01:36 PM
LMAO. Since when did a lively, back and forth conversation mean that they were yelling or having an argument? Shanny has always said that Jay is very coachable...which leads me to think that Jay has always respected his coaches. It appears that Jay was trying to get in touch with his new coach and I highly doubt it was because he couldn't wait to bitch him out. Why would Cutler be mad at McDaniels anyways? He's not the one that fired Shanny. C'mon people.

what would you expect mikey to say his jewel was a douche bag?

dogfish
01-15-2009, 01:37 PM

yep-- let's not read too much into doogie's choice of words. . . . maybe a "lively conversation" meant that jay was hyped up and had a lot of ideas about the offense going forward. . . . we don't know, we weren't there. . . .

underrated29
01-15-2009, 01:45 PM
yep-- let's not read too much into doogie's choice of words. . . . maybe a "lively conversation" meant that jay was hyped up and had a lot of ideas about the offense going forward. . . . we don't know, we weren't there. . . .

thats what i was thinking too.

Lonestar
01-15-2009, 01:48 PM

thats what i was thinking too.

lets hope this was the spirit instead of the pouting on the sideline Jay we are used to seeing..

topscribe
01-15-2009, 01:55 PM
Why do people think because they said "lively conversation" that there was an argument of some sort? None of us know ANYTHING about what was said. People seem to be down on Cutler saying that he's pouting and he's unhappy. The ONLY thing that Cutler has said this offseason is that firing Shanahan was a mistake. That's it. That's when it first happened too. Cutler is a professional, and I'm sure that everything will be fine. It's ridiculous how most Broncos fans criticize the quarterback so fast into his tenure. The guy has been a starter for 2 full seasons. Give him the benefit of the doubt...

Thank you. You said largely what I was going to say.

Elway went through that, too. A lot of people wanted him out of town on the
first train . . . and he came near to granting their wish.

One thing I'm tiring of is this developing comparison between Cutler and Jeff
George. I don't get it. Cutler has an 87.1 passer rating his first two full years
on the field. George was five years into his career before he managed a
passer rating above 80.

Cutler passed for 3,497 yards his first full year on the field and broke the
Broncos' record for 4,526 yards in his second, whereas George never managed
more than 3,000 yards until his 5th year. Cutler has a 62.5% average
completion ratio so far, yet only once did George get his above 60% in his first
four years, and that was barely above at 60.2% in his second year. Moreover,
George threw more INTs than TDs in his second and third years, something
that cannot be said about Cutler.

Cutler in no way is showing any of the traits or tendencies that Jeff George
did, so let's get that out of our silly little heads.

-----

LordTrychon
01-15-2009, 01:56 PM
McDaniels is clearly covering for Cutler, who snuck out the window to be with Marshall in rebellion against his Father, Mr. Bowlen.

Being the new stepmom, McDaniels thinks he can earn Cutler's trust this way, but in reality, Cutler needs to be grounded to learn his boundaries.

Lonestar
01-15-2009, 01:59 PM
Thank you. You said largely what I was going to say.

Elway went through that, too. A lot of people wanted him out of town on the
first train . . . and he came near to granting their wish.

One thing I'm tiring of is this developing comparison between Cutler and Jeff
George. I don't get it. Cutler has an 87.1 passer rating his first two full years
on the field. George was five years into his career before he managed a
passer rating above 80.

Cutler passed for 3,497 yards his first full year on the field and broke the
Broncos' record for 4,526 yards in his second, whereas George never managed
more than 3,000 yards until his 5th year. Cutler has a 62.5% average
completion ratio so far, yet only once did George get his above 60% in his first
four years, and that was barely above at 60.2% in his second year. Moreover,
George threw more INTs than TDs in his second and third years, something
that cannot be said about Cutler.

Cutler in no way is showing any of the traits or tendencies that Jeff George
did, so let's get that out of our silly little heads.

-----

I use the Jeff George thingy because of his uber string arm, he was a coach killer and last but not least he did not want to listen.. was a pouty kid that never got it.. thought his strong arm was going to get him by..

I'm not saying Jay is Jeff George but he could be if he does not grow up..

IIRC Jeff was not on a decent team till later in his career.. so ratings do not mean all that much, especially after throwing a bunch of picks they go in the toilet..

Lonestar
01-15-2009, 02:01 PM
McDaniels is clearly covering for Cutler, who snuck out the window to be with Marshall in rebellion against his Father, Mr. Bowlen.

Being the new stepmom, McDaniels thinks he can earn Cutler's trust this way, but in reality, Cutler needs to be grounded to learn his boundaries.

suppose he will have the car taken away from him or given a chance to earn carrots for good behavior?

honz
01-15-2009, 02:01 PM
Shanny has always made it pretty clear who he likes and who he doesn't. He clearly liked Cutler more than any QB we've had since Elway...and it's not even close really.

Whoops, I meant to quote you JR, but it looks like you already read this.

LordTrychon
01-15-2009, 02:03 PM
suppose he will have the car taken away from him or given a chance to earn carrots for good behavior?

He's not going to be allowed to hang out with his friend Brandon anymore because he's a bad influence.

Instead, the only friend he'll be able to play with will be that new smart kid Eddie that just moved in down the street, and that will only be to study for the test.

Better than nothing. He's a good kid, really. Just needs to stop acting out. It's a phase.

topscribe
01-15-2009, 02:18 PM
I use the Jeff George thingy because of his uber string arm, he was a coach killer and last but not least he did not want to listen.. was a pouty kid that never got it.. thought his strong arm was going to get him by..

I'm not saying Jay is Jeff George but he could be if he does not grow up..

IIRC Jeff was not on a decent team till later in his career.. so ratings do not mean all that much, especially after throwing a bunch of picks they go in the toilet..

I also don't get this "grow up" business.

Because he doesn't conduct himself according to our standards?

I have seen great maturity out of him: how calm and poised the players say
he is in the huddle, no matter the situation, how he takes all the blame for
his own mistakes, how he manages the press instead of their managing him.
I have heard about his "pouting" on the sideline, where all I see is his sitting
there in the bench. I noticed Peyton Manning assuming the same pose in his
last game, BTW . . . I took note of that because of the remarks about Cutler.

Of course, Cutler has to mature. He's 25 years old. We all had maturing to do
at that point. But I don't go along with the "spoiled brat" image he has seemed
to assume with some people.

BTW, would you explain "string arm"? Is that anything like a rag arm? :laugh:

-----

Lonestar
01-15-2009, 02:28 PM

I have heard about his "pouting" on the sideline, where all I see is his sitting

-----

Well we will have to agree to disagree about the growing up part..

was supposed to be strong arm.. with I and the O being next to each other on the keyboard and well spell check did not catch it either..

I guess one can take the teacher out of the class room but they will never stop correcting papers will they..

silkamilkamonico
01-15-2009, 02:32 PM
When do the first mini camps start?

I can't wait to see how these guys develop working together. McDaniels gets nothing but praise from Cassel and Brady and has great relationships with the players he works with. I think Jay will love McDaniels scheme, and the spread IMHO is a perfect fit because it's going to allow Cutler to use every facet of the field, and I think we're going to see number similiar to Cutler this year, although I don't think we'll throw as much.

jrelway
01-15-2009, 02:35 PM
maybe cutler wishes he'd never been broiled.

fcspikeit
01-15-2009, 04:05 PM

~G

G, your feeding the fire here... Having a lively conversation could mean a lot of things.

IMO it means it was an excited conversation, It also could mean, Cutler isn't a push over. He has an opinion. He isn't afraid of telling anyone how he feels, even the new coach. IMO McDaniels has to earn the respect of the players, in turn the players have to earn the respect of the coach. I bet McDaniels can respect Cutler for having an opinion.

If McDaniels were a push over, I doubt Cutler could respect him. Look at Phillips, he calls a punt and Romo sends them back off the field.

My point is, there is no reason to assume him saying a lively conversation is a bad thing. Hell, if I got a new boss I wouldn't just say, "yes ser no ser" I might do as he said but that doesn't mean I believe he knows what hes talking about, just because he said so. That could only come from him proving himself with his performance. As long as Cutler is giving him a fair chance to do that, I have no Problem with Cutler having an opinion or even questioning some of what he says..

TXBRONC
01-15-2009, 05:15 PM
G, your feeding the fire here... Having a lively conversation could mean a lot of things.

IMO it means it was an excited conversation, It also could mean, Cutler isn't a push over. He has an opinion. He isn't afraid of telling anyone how he feels, even the new coach. IMO McDaniels has to earn the respect of the players, in turn the players have to earn the respect of the coach. I bet McDaniels can respect Cutler for having an opinion.

If McDaniels were a push over, I doubt Cutler could respect him. Look at Phillips, he calls a punt and Romo sends them back off the field.

My point is, there is no reason to assume him saying a lively conversation is a bad thing. Hell, if I got a new boss I wouldn't just say, "yes ser no ser" I might do as he said but that doesn't mean I believe he knows what hes talking about, just because he said so. That could only come from him proving himself with his performance. As long as Cutler is giving him a fair chance to do that, I have no Problem with Cutler having an opinion or even questioning some of what he says..

Exactly, "a lively conversation" can mean several things. As much anything else it could very easily mean that Cutler was excited the new offense and what his role would be in it. In my opinion its wrong to assume that it was a bad thing.

Lonestar
01-15-2009, 05:59 PM
Exactly, "a lively conversation" can mean several things. As much anything else it could very easily mean that Cutler was excited the new offense and what his role would be in it. In my opinion its wrong to assume that it was a bad thing.

I would guess if he was excited about it MC D would have said he seemed to be excited about learning new system..

and will be cutting his vacation short to get back to camp :laugh::laugh::laugh:

But since I was not there, so I'm speculating.

But when I hear "lively conversation" I get question marks running through my mind.. maybe I'm old school or that is coach speak from NE..

Nomad
01-15-2009, 06:04 PM
I would guess if he was excited about it MC D would have said he seemed to be excited about learning new system..

and will be cutting his vacation short to get back to camp :laugh::laugh::laugh:

But since I was not there, so I'm speculating.

But when I hear "lively conversation" I get question marks running through my mind.. maybe I'm old school or that is coach speak from NE..

Marshall has come out publicly stating that he's excited and anxious to begin with his new HC and has been very positive, more than once!!:coffee:

Lonestar
01-15-2009, 06:07 PM
Marshall has come out publicly stating that he's excited and anxious to begin with his new HC and has been very positive, more than once!!:coffee:

Glad to hear it I only wished that Jay would have been more positive about it up front..

fcspikeit
01-15-2009, 06:29 PM
Glad to hear it I only wished that Jay would have been more positive about it up front..

He was out of the country Jr... You don't know that he isn't positive about the McDaniels hiring. Him being upset Shanahan got let go isn't the same thing as him being upset McDaniels got hired... McDaniels could have been his top choice of new coach. Who knows. Lets see what happens before we assume the worst.

Northman
01-15-2009, 06:31 PM
Thanks SWM!

First of all I'm glad they finally had a chance to talk and that it was productive conversation.

It also seems that those who were saying Jay was being unprofessional and that they using common sense jumping to conclusion without any facts.

End thread.

Lonestar
01-15-2009, 06:32 PM
He didn't have to say anything at all Jr. :rolleyes:

He was out of the country Jr... You don't know that he isn't positive about the McDaniels hiring. Him being upset Shanahan got let go isn't the same thing as him being upset McDaniels got hired... McDaniels could have been his top choice of new coach. Who knows. Lets see what happens before we assume the worst.

Ok I give up have it your way..

TXBRONC
01-15-2009, 06:35 PM
Ok I give up have it your way..

It's about time. :coffee:

Northman
01-15-2009, 06:37 PM

-----

In the past ive seen John hang his head when losing also. What was the quote from one of the 49er players in the SB? Something to the effect like "i always hated John Elway but that day i felt sorry for him. He looked like a guy beaten down". When you lose its never a great feeling especially when your a young player. I would rather a player be hurt or bummed about a loss than laughing his ass off on the sideline.

TXBRONC
01-15-2009, 06:39 PM

Some people are unable to make that distinction.

Slick
01-15-2009, 06:40 PM
I'm glad the two finally caught each other. I'm not even going to try to speculate on how the conversation went.

I think Jay would be crazy not to be receptive to his new coach, and I don't think that will be a problem.

It would be nice to see Jay throw for over 4000 yards and 30+ touchdowns for years to come, but a part of me doesn't want that. Usually a QB that puts up those kind of numbers doesn't end up playing for all the marbles at the end of the season. He'll need the balance of the running game to be successful, it's what John needed, and I think it's why Marino never won.

omac
01-15-2009, 06:40 PM
There's a lot of speculations, but a lot are basically saying that Jay needs to grow up and move on, right? Whether unfounded or not, I'd say that's pretty good advice for everyone.

omac
01-15-2009, 06:44 PM
In the past ive seen John hang his head when losing also. What was the quote from one of the 49er players in the SB? Something to the effect like "i always hated John Elway but that day i felt sorry for him. He looked like a guy beaten down". When you lose its never a great feeling especially when your a young player. I would rather a player be hurt or bummed about a loss than laughing his ass off on the sideline.

Yeah, that was one of the striking comments made by Nnandi against his Raider teammates after a game.

Nomad
01-15-2009, 06:45 PM
There's a lot of speculations, but a lot are basically saying that Jay needs to grow up and move on, right? Whether unfounded or not, I'd say that's pretty good advice for everyone.

:deadhorse:everybody's right here, in their own mind!!:lol: We'll find out as the year progresses.

TXBRONC
01-15-2009, 06:45 PM

I remember that as clear as day and that wasn't the only time John had ever hung his head after a loss.

dogfish
01-15-2009, 06:47 PM

no, no. . .

i think he needs to take out a full page ad in the rocky mtn news and rent a billboard down in lodo to announce to the world how delighted he is that they hired doogie. . . .

:ranger:

TXBRONC
01-15-2009, 06:56 PM
no, no. . .

i think he needs to take out a full page ad in the rocky mtn news and rent a billboard down in lodo to announce to the world how delighted he is that they hired doogie. . . .

Maybe he should also do that in the Denver Post, the Wall Street Journal, and USA Today.

Lonestar
01-15-2009, 06:56 PM
no, no. . .

your starting to sound like NB now big guy.. be carefull..

fcspikeit
01-15-2009, 11:39 PM
McDaniels talks a bit about his conversation with Cutler..

Click on the link to the right.. :salute:

http://cbs4denver.com/broncos

Scarface
01-15-2009, 11:58 PM
I find it amusing how people are picking apart McD's choice of words and twisting it to sound like it was a negative conversation. I can't wait for Halloween so we can hear what Cutler was passing out to trick or treaters with his first season of not having Shanny as his coach. "Ohhh he's passing out Tootsie Pops and not Snickers. Clearly he doesn't like McD and is being a spoiled brat." Give me a break.

Scarface
01-16-2009, 12:02 AM

Thanks for sharing the link. My perception from actually hearing McD talk about his conversation is that he is pumped to work with a QB like Cutler. His face lit up when Cutler's name was brought up. I think he knows the type of QB he has here in Denver and knows this is the kind of QB that can lead this franchise to some Super Bowls.

Lonestar
01-16-2009, 12:33 AM

thanks for the link... Still seemed to me like there is more to the "lively" comment than Y'all did..

Anyone else notice it seemed he had a hoody on..

fcspikeit
01-16-2009, 12:51 AM
thanks for the link... Still seemed to me like there is more to the "lively" comment than Y'all did..

Anyone else notice it seemed he had a hoody on..

You caught the hoodie too huh.. LOL

Well McDaniels did look to the right when he was asked about Cutler.. I think right means your telling the truth while looking left means your lying, but I'm not sure about that...

You could tell he was choosing his words carefully, It's interesting that he chose the words he did... Either way, he seemed like the over all impression he received from the conversation was good.. Maybe he didn't want to come across as not being excited, as to why he used the description he did?

Heck, if there really was a problem there and he wanted to cover it up, he could of done a much better job just by using a different choice of words.

We'll just have to see how it all plays out.

Shazam!
01-16-2009, 01:38 AM
Comparing Cutler to Jeff George? I may have a problem with SOME aspects of Cutler, but this is REALLY stretching it a little bit...

I was a little concerned that Cut didn't speak to Coach McDaniels, but I feel better. He'll be fine once he gets to know Coach this offseason. He's younger and may be more personal IMO.

We could be witnessing the beginning of Elway/Shanahan Part II.

Gamechanger
01-16-2009, 02:08 AM
for the record...and some may think differently, but being a Colts fan, theres no reason to compare a budding star in Jay Cutler to a turd in Jeff George, they may have similar "punk-ish" attitudes, but Cutler takes accountability for his mess-ups, something Jeff George never and I mean NEVER did

Shazam!
01-16-2009, 02:15 AM
Fact- Nobody on earth can hate Jeff George as much as a Colts fan.

TXBRONC
01-16-2009, 08:28 AM

McDaniels had a good conversation with Jay (his words not mine) I guess that could be construed as coach speak for we had knockdown drag out argument. :rolleyes:

Nomad
01-16-2009, 08:43 AM
McDaniels had a good conversation with Jay (his words not mine) I guess that could be construed as coach speak for we had knockdown drag argument.

:deadhorse:Why keep dragging this on?? Until Jay comes out and speaks publicly and not behind a coach or reporter, then we don't know his view or demeanor about the whole thing! Or do you have to prove that you and all the others are right and won't stop until you all can say "I told you so, all you negative ******** were wrong"??:whoknows:

TXBRONC
01-16-2009, 09:02 AM
:deadhorse:Why keep dragging this on?? Until Jay comes out and speaks publicly and not behind a coach or reporter, then we don't know his view or demeanor about the whole thing! Or do you have to prove that you and all the others are right and won't stop until you all can say "I told you so, all you negative ******** were wrong"??:whoknows:

I'm with you. My post is meant to be a little sarcastic towards those posts that have leaped frogged to negative conclusions. McDaniels say he and Jay had good conversation since I wasn't privy to it I'm not going to jump to conclusions that McDaniels is try blow smoke up my ass.

haroldthebarrel
01-16-2009, 09:31 AM
Being a little hobby psychologist I would guess that Cutler and a lot of others are still in denial. Nobody expected Bowlen to sack Shanahan.
Acceptance will come later. Cutler wants to be a great qb, and eventually he will have to accept that the new path to superstardom is through McDaniels.

And as far as my opinion on Cutlers skills are. Bear in mind he was a pro bowler his third year, with a lot on his shoulders. And the guy can be a lot better with his mental approach. That is scary.
With a new system like McDaniels used in NE, it wouldnt surprise me Cutler make a run for Marinos record season. We will be a passing team, and with Turner we hopefully keep the zone blocking.

I have accepted Shanahan is gone, but it was hard. Lost a lot of feelings for the Broncos that I had through Shanahan and the his Broncos.
Still I wanted Nolan, I really enjoy the new defensive approach and McD will run a great offense. We will have to wait a couple years for coach to mature but with Shanahan keeping Slowik that would have happened anyway.
Here's to a new emphasis on the three games of football; offense, defense and special teams, and I hope we use the next three drafts to draft defense.

dogfish
01-20-2009, 08:32 PM
Broncos' Bates makes off to coach at USC

Cutler tutor saw role diminishing under McDaniels
By Jeff Legwold, Rocky Mountain News (Contact)
Published January 19, 2009 at 5:11 p.m.

Broncos quarterback Jay Cutler said he wanted Jeremy Bates back.

And Broncos officials, including owner Pat Bowlen, had recommended Bates be one of four offensive coaches retained on the team's new staff.

But in the end, with Bates' job description shrinking almost by the day, the 32-year-old chose to move on.

Bates has informed team officials he has accepted a job as assistant head coach/offense and quarterbacks coach on Pete Carroll's staff at Southern California.

Had Bates returned to the Broncos, his role in game-

planning and on game day would have been significantly diminished from this season, when he called the plays and coached the quarterbacks.

New coach Josh McDaniels will call plays, and McDaniels has hired Mike McCoy as the team's offensive coordinator.

Bates had three years left on his Broncos contract - the team will be responsible only for the difference in Bates' salary at USC and what he was making with the Broncos - and was given permission to talk with the Oakland Raiders.

Newly hired Detroit Lions coach Jim Schwartz also was considering Bates to be the team's offensive coordinator.

It will be Bates' first foray into college coaching. The former Tennessee and Rice quarterback had been with the Broncos since the start of the 2006 season, with the New York Jets in 2005 and with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers from 2002 to 2004.

He had a brief stint on the Tennessee Titans coaching staff, in an administrative role, before going to the Buccaneers.

Bates and McDaniels could not be reached for comment.

Cutler this season set a single- season franchise record in passing yards (4,526) and earned his first Pro Bowl trip. His 25 touchdown passes also tied for the third-highest season total in franchise history.

Bates was instrumental, former Broncos coach Mike Shanahan has said, in the team's far more liberal use of the shotgun this season out of a spread formation.

Shanahan and Bates said they had looked at what the New England Patriots did in 2007 when Tom Brady won the league's Most Valuable Player award with a record 50 touchdown passes, with McDaniels calling plays, before adapting it to the Broncos offense.

Cutler had been outspoken - he said he was "not happy at all" when Shanahan was fired - that he hoped the offensive staff would stay.

But the quarterback since has spoken with McDaniels about the offensive plans and many with the team have said in recent days Cutler was pleased with what he heard.

Bates' departure means running backs coach Bobby Turner and offensive line coach Rick Dennison are the only holdovers from Shanahan's staff.

Also late Sunday, Dom Capers - who was being considered for a spot on the Broncos defensive staff, according to several players - accepted the defensive coordinator's job in Green Bay.

Capers worked with McDaniels in New England and had been given permission by Patriots coach Bill Belichick to pursue jobs elsewhere despite having a year left on his deal.

but. . . but. . . but how can i manage to spin this into a tirade about what an immature jerk jay is??! damn it! it must be lies, damned lies and media fabrications. . . .

http://www.rockymountainnews.com/news/2009/jan/19/bates-leaves-broncos-usc/?partner=RSS

TXBRONC
01-20-2009, 09:23 PM
Broncos' Bates makes off to coach at USC

Cutler tutor saw role diminishing under McDaniels
By Jeff Legwold, Rocky Mountain News (Contact)
Published January 19, 2009 at 5:11 p.m.

Broncos quarterback Jay Cutler said he wanted Jeremy Bates back.

And Broncos officials, including owner Pat Bowlen, had recommended Bates be one of four offensive coaches retained on the team's new staff.

But in the end, with Bates' job description shrinking almost by the day, the 32-year-old chose to move on.

Bates has informed team officials he has accepted a job as assistant head coach/offense and quarterbacks coach on Pete Carroll's staff at Southern California.

Had Bates returned to the Broncos, his role in game-

planning and on game day would have been significantly diminished from this season, when he called the plays and coached the quarterbacks.

New coach Josh McDaniels will call plays, and McDaniels has hired Mike McCoy as the team's offensive coordinator.

Bates had three years left on his Broncos contract - the team will be responsible only for the difference in Bates' salary at USC and what he was making with the Broncos - and was given permission to talk with the Oakland Raiders.

Newly hired Detroit Lions coach Jim Schwartz also was considering Bates to be the team's offensive coordinator.

It will be Bates' first foray into college coaching. The former Tennessee and Rice quarterback had been with the Broncos since the start of the 2006 season, with the New York Jets in 2005 and with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers from 2002 to 2004.

He had a brief stint on the Tennessee Titans coaching staff, in an administrative role, before going to the Buccaneers.

Bates and McDaniels could not be reached for comment.

Cutler this season set a single- season franchise record in passing yards (4,526) and earned his first Pro Bowl trip. His 25 touchdown passes also tied for the third-highest season total in franchise history.

Bates was instrumental, former Broncos coach Mike Shanahan has said, in the team's far more liberal use of the shotgun this season out of a spread formation.

Shanahan and Bates said they had looked at what the New England Patriots did in 2007 when Tom Brady won the league's Most Valuable Player award with a record 50 touchdown passes, with McDaniels calling plays, before adapting it to the Broncos offense.

Cutler had been outspoken - he said he was "not happy at all" when Shanahan was fired - that he hoped the offensive staff would stay.

But the quarterback since has spoken with McDaniels about the offensive plans and many with the team have said in recent days Cutler was pleased with what he heard.

Bates' departure means running backs coach Bobby Turner and offensive line coach Rick Dennison are the only holdovers from Shanahan's staff.

Also late Sunday, Dom Capers - who was being considered for a spot on the Broncos defensive staff, according to several players - accepted the defensive coordinator's job in Green Bay.

Capers worked with McDaniels in New England and had been given permission by Patriots coach Bill Belichick to pursue jobs elsewhere despite having a year left on his deal.

but. . . but. . . but how can i manage to spin this into a tirade about what an immature jerk jay is??! damn it! it must be lies, damned lies and media fabrications. . . .

http://www.rockymountainnews.com/news/2009/jan/19/bates-leaves-broncos-usc/?partner=RSS

You know its like the old saying "Don't confuse me facts.":rolleyes: