PDA

View Full Version : If the season ended today....

RebelRocker
11-21-2011, 01:04 AM
Here's the link to the NFL.com playoff picture standings.

It was updated not too long ago.

http://www.nfl.com/playoffs/playoff-picture?module=HP11_content_stream

We're the top team "in the hunt" right now. If we can't catch Oakland for the division, we can still get the last wildcard spot.

Cincinnati has Houston, Pittsburgh, Baltimore, Arizona, St. Louis and Cleveland left to play.

We have San Diego, Minnesota, Chicago, New England, Buffalo and Kansas city left to play.

All we have to do is tie Cincy at the end of the season with W-L record in the regular season and/or in the conference. In that scenario, the tiebreaker comes down to who won the matchup between the two teams. If we can tie Cincy, we'll get the last seed in the AFC.

We've seen how Cincy plays against play off caliber teams the last few weeks. They're competitive, but I could easily see them lose 3 to 4 of their last 6 games.

As for us, Minnesota, Chicago and KC look like our most winnable games left. Chicago has played well, but rumor has it that Cutler has a busted thumb on his throwing hand and may miss the rest of the regular season. Chicago becomes very beatable without Cutler.

Buffalo is a winnable game, but we have to go across the country to play them. NE at home is a tricky one to pick, as is SD on the road.

The key to our playoff run, If we can't win the division, is to win atleast 3 more games and hope Cincy stumbles into a tiebreaker situation with us.

Now granted, there are a few teams below us that could make a run. I think it's pretty unlikely that one of the teams behind us wins 4 or 5 more games and beats us and/or Cincy out for the last spot.

bcbronc
11-21-2011, 01:38 AM
coming into the season my hope was that we'd be improved enough that games 14, 15, 16 of the season would mean something. At this point it's looking pretty likely the young pups on our roster will be experiencing their first playoff race. We've got some winnable games on the schedule and our play has been trending in the right direction...should be a fun last six weeks.

RebelRocker
11-21-2011, 02:43 AM
coming into the season my hope was that we'd be improved enough that games 14, 15, 16 of the season would mean something. At this point it's looking pretty likely the young pups on our roster will be experiencing their first playoff race. We've got some winnable games on the schedule and our play has been trending in the right direction...should be a fun last six weeks.

I felt the same way. I initially predicted us to win 6-7 games this year. Now that we have shot to make the playoffs, anything short of that will be a tad disappointing.

At the very least, we definitely look like a team on the rise. Once the QB situation is settled, we will definitely have the look and swagger of a super bowl contending team.

Some may say the way we play football is boring, but I personally love it. One thing I've always wished the Broncos would become is a smash mouth, take no BS type team. It certainly looks like we're falling under that philosophy with the new regime and I couldn't have gotten a better seat on that bandwagon:cool:

I'll take boring super bowl wins over "exciting" 7 win seasons any day. GO BRONCOS!!!

chazoe60
11-21-2011, 08:06 AM
And once you get into the playoffs anything can happen. Think about the AFC, there is no juggernaut in this conference. I don't even know who the best team in the AFC is, do you.

All the teams are flawed badly.

NE- Defense is terrible
Bal- Offense is terrible and the defense is old as dirt
Pit- they are so inconsistent
Those are the top three and the rest is a hodge-podge of horrible to okay teams, us included. We're on the okay side of things at least.

If we can get into the playoffs I think we can make some noise there. I think if our defense keeps playing like they have been we will be a team that other teams don't want to see in the playoffs. From Von crushing QBs to our unconventional offense, we create headaches for oposing coaches.

Tned
11-21-2011, 08:22 AM
And once you get into the playoffs anything can happen. Think about the AFC, there is no juggernaut in this conference. I don't even know who the best team in the AFC is, do you.

All the teams are flawed badly.

NE- Defense is terrible
Bal- Offense is terrible and the defense is old as dirt
Pit- they are so inconsistent
Those are the top three and the rest is a hodge-podge of horrible to okay teams, us included. We're on the okay side of things at least.

If we can get into the playoffs I think we can make some noise there. I think if our defense keeps playing like they have been we will be a team that other teams don't want to see in the playoffs. From Von crushing QBs to our unconventional offense, we create headaches for oposing coaches.

There were reports yesterday that Ray Lewis could miss the rest of the season. That's a big blow to Baltimore if that turns out to be true.

chazoe60
11-21-2011, 08:35 AM
There were reports yesterday that Ray Lewis could miss the rest of the season. That's a big blow to Baltimore if that turns out to be true.

Jeez, the AFC really is wide open.

Tned
11-21-2011, 08:38 AM

Really the whole NFL. Outside of GB, and I can't believe I am saying this, SF, there aren't many teams that have proven to be dominant.

Tned
11-21-2011, 08:41 AM

This is funny. I don't have time to upload it and post it normally, so posting it as an attachment. Check out the NFC East standings on ESPN this morning. They must be really frustrated with their NFL Football Giants at Bristol.

chazoe60
11-21-2011, 08:50 AM
It's not fair that Washington gets 3 times as many chances as everyone else.

CoachChaz
11-21-2011, 09:29 AM
Really the whole NFL. Outside of GB, and I can't believe I am saying this, SF, there aren't many teams that have proven to be dominant.

SF hasnt proven anything yet. I want to see them beat a top team before I call them dominant

honz
11-21-2011, 09:47 AM
This is funny. I don't have time to upload it and post it normally, so posting it as an attachment. Check out the NFC East standings on ESPN this morning. They must be really frustrated with their NFL Football Giants at Bristol.
It's almost as if Washington is beating itself this year.

MasterShake
11-21-2011, 10:57 AM
SF hasnt proven anything yet. I want to see them beat a top team before I call them dominant

The 2011 49ers remind me of the 2005 Broncos. They will get smacked in the mouth at some point in the playoffs.

Nomad
11-21-2011, 11:37 AM
The 2011 49ers remind me of the 2005 Broncos. They will get smacked in the mouth at some point in the playoffs.

9ers have Baltimore (I know they are jekyl and hyde) and Pittsburgh coming up.

Shazam!
11-21-2011, 12:06 PM
Hell if they finish 9-7 I'd be ecstatic.

dogfish
11-21-2011, 01:02 PM
http://img805.imageshack.us/img805/7215/89913960.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/805/89913960.jpg/)

Tned
11-22-2011, 08:55 AM

I looked at their schedule yesterday and they've only played about three tough teams, one of which was the Cowboys who they lost to.