PDA

View Full Version : Who's better?

Northman
11-20-2011, 09:08 PM
So, Missy and are having this little debate (nothing serious as its all about taste but..) about who the better overall band is. Rush or Led Zeppelin. Clearly both have extensive catalogs and hit singles to their names but we were on opposite sides of who we prefer to listen too the most and who is probably the most talented of the two. So, we've agreed to put it up to a poll on different sites that we are a part of to get a consensus from fans a like.

Poll to come.

chazoe60
11-20-2011, 09:11 PM
I voted for Zeplin. I never got into Rush and am just a casual fan of Zeplin, so I'm probably not the best person to vote.

Northman
11-20-2011, 09:12 PM
Doesnt matter, i still want to people vote regardless.

SR
11-20-2011, 09:15 PM
I voted Zeppelin. They are my favorite band ever and because of songs like Stairway to Heaven, Achilles Last Stand, When the Levee Breaks, Babe I'm Gonna Leave You, etc, I voted for them. Rush has a solid stance because they're a three man band, they're Canadian (that factors in, trust me), and they have the best drummer to ever pick up a set of sticks. I think Led Zeppelin revolutionized rock music just as much as the Beatles did with songs like the ones I listed, because of their versatility, and because of their huge range.

chazoe60
11-20-2011, 09:16 PM
There are some plagarism concerns with Zeplin though. I never heard of these plagarism accusations until about 2 years ago but while on a long drive I listened to a radio show that did about a two hour segment on Zeplin songs that they claimed were stolen.

They played a bunch of the "originals" and then the Zeplin "rip-off" and the evidence was actually pretty convincing. Not sure if you guys know anythig about this?

atwater27
11-20-2011, 09:20 PM
Rush is good and their drummer is a badass. Zeppelin has more epic songs, though both of the lead singers had their balls kicked in during pre-adolescence. Lord. Sing like a man or don't sing at all.

SR
11-20-2011, 09:20 PM
Rush is good and their drummer is a badass. Zeppelin has more epic songs, though both of the lead singers had their balls kicked in during pre-adolescence. Lord. Sing like a man or don't sing at all.

In all fairness, we are talking about a Brit and a Canadian here...

atwater27
11-20-2011, 09:30 PM
My fave Zep songs. Best 2 are Thank you and Over the hills and Far away.

Ramble on, Your time is gonna come, Dyer Maker, Kashmir, fool in the rain and all of my love are all top notch. I bought their box set and was surprised at how many songs were (to me) unlistenable cheesy tavern rock. But they are still one of the greats. Not as good as Pink Floyd though.

Northman
11-20-2011, 09:31 PM
There are some plagarism concerns with Zeplin though. I never heard of these plagarism accusations until about 2 years ago but while on a long drive I listened to a radio show that did about a two hour segment on Zeplin songs that they claimed were stolen.

They played a bunch of the "originals" and then the Zeplin "rip-off" and the evidence was actually pretty convincing. Not sure if you guys know anythig about this?

Thats the first that ive heard of that but if you can find anything on it post it i would be curious about it. I know later on Kingdom Come had some issues as they sounded too much like Zep but outside of that i never heard those accusations before.

For the record, i enjoy both bands but think Rush is by far the most talented of the two. I think Zep has more songs i like but im just not sure i would consider them better by any means. But good posts gentlemen and keep them coming. Missy's winning so far. lol

atwater27
11-20-2011, 09:35 PM
I feel like Rush could have been better if they focused on their drummer more. As awesome as Neil Peart is, he sure took a back seat to everyone else. the mixing should have turned him up a bit more. I guess Led Zeppelin beat them because their sound ended up better. so talent only matters if you get your sound right. Does that makes sense?

Northman
11-20-2011, 09:46 PM
I feel like Rush could have been better if they focused on their drummer more. As awesome as Neil Peart is, he sure took a back seat to everyone else. the mixing should have turned him up a bit more. I guess Led Zeppelin beat them because their sound ended up better. so talent only matters if you get your sound right. Does that makes sense?

Yes and no.

Production does have an importance as well as getting the most out of the band itself. But when i listen to Moving Pictures i can hear Pert just fine so i dont know if your talking just about certain albums or as a whole.

SR
11-20-2011, 10:25 PM
Rush bothers me sometimes. Their lyrics get a little too hippyish for my flavor. Most of the time I judge how well I like a band by if I can pop in a CD and listen to it all without hitting the "next" button. I can't do that with Rush.

aberdien
11-21-2011, 03:24 PM

Peart wrote most of the lyrics, so he was pretty vital to the band (and the source of hate from many). He's kindof the outsider though as he came in after the band had already formed while Lifeson and Geddy grew up together. I think the sound is excellent.

I'm going to take the best era of Rush, from 1974-1981, and say that I like it better than the best era of Zeppelin, 1969-1975.

If I take my favorite albums from each band (2112 and Led Zep III), I have to say that I like 2112 better. Which makes sense, cause 2112 is in my top 10favorite albums ever. I just love Rush. So Rush wins, cause it's for nerdy dudes like me. Rush: Beyond the Lighted Stage is an excellent documentary that I would recommend for anybody, not just Rush fans.

Led Zeppelin has unequivically more commercial appeal and is much more easily accessible, so most people would choose them. Especially women. But I like Rush better.

chazoe60
11-21-2011, 03:29 PM
Thats the first that ive heard of that but if you can find anything on it post it i would be curious about it. I know later on Kingdom Come had some issues as they sounded too much like Zep but outside of that i never heard those accusations before.

For the record, i enjoy both bands but think Rush is by far the most talented of the two. I think Zep has more songs i like but im just not sure i would consider them better by any means. But good posts gentlemen and keep them coming. Missy's winning so far. lol
Here's something I found http://www.listropolis.com/2008/06/led-zeppelin-innovators-or-plagiarists-audio-of-8-songs-proving-they-might-be-the-best-cover-band-of-all-time/

Take it with a grain of salt. I'm not saying they are or they are not but it does seem to be a concern with at least a little bit of merit.

aberdien
11-21-2011, 03:31 PM
^That's another reason why Rush is better. Even though their best songs are the ones that they didn't "rip off" or whatever you want to call it.

Talent wise, I don't know how this is even debateable. Rush owns in the musicianship department.

chazoe60
11-21-2011, 03:31 PM
If you put Led Zeppelin plagarists in a google search quite a bit of stuff comes up.

aberdien
11-21-2011, 03:35 PM
This is relevant to Led Zeppelin

http://www.cracked.com/article_18500_the-5-most-famous-musicians-who-are-thieving-********.html

Dazed And Confused is a shitty song though. I can get past them "stealing" songs if they sound good.

BigDaddyBronco
11-21-2011, 03:35 PM
I like how every Rush fan says "they are amazing musicians". Yea, they must be to have lasted more than 30 minutes. Geddy Lee has to have the worst singing voice ever and has a terrible mullet.

aberdien
11-21-2011, 03:36 PM
Replace the asterisks with bas-tards

aberdien
11-21-2011, 03:37 PM
I like how every Rush fan says "they are amazing musicians". Yea, they must be to have lasted more than 30 minutes. Geddy Lee has to have the worst singing voice ever and has a terrible mullet.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_pG1RoKRCf78/SH6Zq8YpxoI/AAAAAAAABFs/eMBUvh8mfO8/s320/geddy+lee+(2).jpg

haters gon' hate

BigDaddyBronco
11-21-2011, 03:39 PM
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_pG1RoKRCf78/SH6Zq8YpxoI/AAAAAAAABFs/eMBUvh8mfO8/s320/geddy+lee+(2).jpg

haters gon' hate

Thank God he doesn't have that mullet anymore. He is so skinny, I thought he had full blown AIDS.

NorCalBronco7
11-21-2011, 03:40 PM
Zeppelin is a better band imo, but I like Rush more.....a lot more. Ive played drums for about six years now, and everytime I hear Neil, I cream my pants. By far my favorite drummer of all time.

BroncoNut
11-21-2011, 03:47 PM

I like Geddy's voice. it's raspy and weird, well suited for the music. Bob dylan is far worse imo.

aberdien
11-21-2011, 03:54 PM
I don't like his voice as of late, but from 74-81 it's excellent, IMO. His screams are awesome, like in Fly By Night.

And hating on Bob Dylan, how dare you?

Thnikkaman
11-21-2011, 03:56 PM
I voted Rush because I don't like Paige.

MOtorboat
11-21-2011, 04:21 PM
Zappelin, hands down, imo. I can't past Geddy's voice. Love the music. I've seen a lot of the sheet music and it's very well written and extremely technical, so I know they were great musicians, just couldn't get past Geddy's voice.

I checked the link out about Zep I being plagiarized, and I'd known where the influences came from, and knew they ripped a lot of basic blues riff, but I'll have to actually listen to some of those links later.

Paige was noted for sloppy electric solos, not fundamental or crisp, but his acoustic work is/was just amazing. And they have so many anthemic songs. Stairway, Over the Hills, Kashmir, Babe, Ramble On, That's the Way, Dyer Maker...

BroncoNut
11-22-2011, 07:52 AM
I don't like his voice as of late, but from 74-81 it's excellent, IMO. His screams are awesome, like in Fly By Night.

And hating on Bob Dylan, how dare you?

love Bobby D. Grew up listening to him. I was tangled up in blues early in life. He's a great writer, not a classically nice singing voice. which adds character imo

SR
11-22-2011, 01:27 PM
I've gathered 11 votes for Led Zeppelin and three for Rush while getting numerous people to agree that Rush is a more technical band musically.