PDA

View Full Version : Elway, Xanders scouting Oklahoma-Baylor game

Denver Native (Carol)
11-20-2011, 04:56 PM
Need to read the whole article - and just not jump to conclusions from title of article:

from article:

Easy now, Tim Tebow Nation.

full article - http://blogs.denverpost.com/broncos/2011/11/19/elway-xanders-scouting-oklahoma-baylor-game/10747/

Nomad
11-20-2011, 04:58 PM
They had to come away impressed with RGIII.

Denver Native (Carol)
11-20-2011, 05:00 PM
One thing I like - they are out scouting players in actual games.

atwater27
11-20-2011, 05:10 PM
They had to come away impressed with RGIII.

would be a smart pick.... If we change our offense to a running quarterback favorable offense, he could either be a solid backup at worst, or take over the starting position if it turns out he can pass the ball better than Tebow. RGIII is definitely a baller, and a clutch one at that.

Agent of Orange
11-20-2011, 05:15 PM
Are they scouting any potential first round players who aren't QBs?

Denver Native (Carol)
11-20-2011, 05:18 PM
Are they scouting any potential first round players who aren't QBs?

The article mentions other players - did you read the article?

Agent of Orange
11-20-2011, 05:28 PM

Yes, I did Carol and my comment was addressing potential first round picks. The people you're referring to arent that.

OrangeHoof
11-20-2011, 05:34 PM
IIRC, somebody in our front office is close to Stoops isn't he?

I'll say this about RGIII. If we design an offense for Tebow, it's smart to have a backup who can run the same offense if Tebow gets hurt. However, a backup QB is not worth a first-rounder.

Nomad
11-20-2011, 05:34 PM
would be a smart pick.... If we change our offense to a running quarterback favorable offense, he could either be a solid backup at worst, or take over the starting position if it turns out he can pass the ball better than Tebow. RGIII is definitely a baller, and a clutch one at that.

Yeah, his stock rose last night with that win against OU.

Ziggy
11-20-2011, 06:04 PM
RG3 would require our first round pick if he comes out, and may not be there even then.

vhatever
11-20-2011, 06:12 PM
Only teams that draft backup QBs are teams who feel they have everything else covered on their team already. Or there is the off chance of picking up a highly undervalued QB late in the draft.

It is pretty awkward for the head guys to be out there scouting, though. Very strange from a PR perspective. I can't even remember the last time the head guys in any front office attended non-bowl game.

MOtorboat
11-20-2011, 06:32 PM
Only teams that draft backup QBs are teams who feel they have everything else covered on their team already. Or there is the off chance of picking up a highly undervalued QB late in the draft.

It is pretty awkward for the head guys to be out there scouting, though. Very strange from a PR perspective. I can't even remember the last time the head guys in any front office attended non-bowl game.

What?

NFL GMs attend tons of college games.

And if they draft one of those quarterbacks, he won't be coming in as a backup, no matter how much you want that to be true.

Denver Native (Carol)
11-20-2011, 07:10 PM
It has been talked about locally that if TT progresses, with both Orton and Quinn expected to be gone, or at least Orton for sure, that the Broncos will look to draft a backup QB, which is not expected to be in the first round.

spikerman
11-20-2011, 07:20 PM
I wonder what they think of Weber. If he shows some promise they could just bring in a vet to be the backup and try to develop Weber as the long term backup.

BeefStew25
11-20-2011, 07:39 PM
Yes, I did Carol and my comment was addressing potential first round picks. The people you're referring to arent that.

Don't type to her like that.

vhatever
11-20-2011, 08:28 PM
What?

NFL GMs attend tons of college games.

And if they draft one of those quarterbacks, he won't be coming in as a backup, no matter how much you want that to be true.

You obviously know very little about football. It's incredibly rare for head honcho types from the front office to go to college games unless it's bowl season. Did you just starting watching football this year or something?

And ya, they are gonna draft a pathetic versions of Tebow to replace him with. Haha.

Shazam!
11-20-2011, 08:42 PM
I swear to God if they sabotage Tebow I dont know how I will take it.

No top round QB is drafted as a backup.

They did everything possible to run our last TWO QBs out of town. They better not sabotage Tebow.

Tebow needs time and an entire offseason to develop and improve his mechanics. Bringing in another top draft pick prospect could hamper him.

He is the ONLY THING that has kept Denver relevant nationally and brought us back to playoff contention in a year that looked hopeless. If they repay him like that, I swear I dont know what I will think.

This may be premature or paranoia, but I cant help it. I firmly believe our QB of the future is here and Tim Tebow is the leader and face of the franchise.

TXBRONC
11-20-2011, 08:50 PM

If Denver is in a position to take either one of those quarterbacks and indeed does I don't think that's good news for Tebow.

TXBRONC
11-20-2011, 08:54 PM

They did everything possible to run our last TWO QBs out of town. They better not sabotage Tebow.

Tebow needs time and an entire offseason to develop and improve his mechanics. Bringing in another top draft pick prospect could hamper him.

He is the ONLY THING that has kept Denver relevant nationally and brought us back to playoff contention in a year that looked hopeless. If they repay him like that, I swear I dont know what I will think.

This may be premature or paranoia, but I cant help it. I firmly believe our QB of the future is here and Tim Tebow is the leader and face of the franchise.

Who ran our last two quarterbacks out of town?

TXBRONC
11-20-2011, 09:00 PM

We have no idea if they scouting those other players. They could laid an eyeball on those other guys but the two players that were going most attention were Griffin and Jones.

catfish
11-20-2011, 09:11 PM
No big deal, they need to have a plan B in case Tebow shits the bed the last 6 weeks of the year. don't want college ball to be over and all the sudden you have 0 QB's and haven't looked at any all year

Denver Native (Carol)
11-20-2011, 09:25 PM
You obviously know very little about football. It's incredibly rare for head honcho types from the front office to go to college games unless it's bowl season. Did you just starting watching football this year or something?

And ya, they are gonna draft a pathetic versions of Tebow to replace him with. Haha.

Xanders has been scouting college pro prospects two or three days a week since the season started and Elway is joining him as part of his first-year apprentice work as a front-office executive.

http://blogs.denverpost.com/broncos/2011/11/03/elway-xanders-watch-cal-practice-today/10551/

jayqeezy
11-20-2011, 10:11 PM
I think we can get Russel Wilson in the second and get a corner in the first.

vettesplus
11-20-2011, 10:24 PM

:lol:

MOtorboat
11-20-2011, 10:54 PM
http://blogs.denverpost.com/broncos/2011/11/03/elway-xanders-watch-cal-practice-today/10551/

It's very typical that NFL GMs will either scout games close to where their team plays Sunday on Saturday night, or to take in games on bye weeks and odd-scheduled weeks like Thursday night football.

Yes, it's a little odd that the Vice President of Football Operations does it, but as we've already seen, Elway is pretty hands on and somewhat atypical.

That said, Elway is being more closely monitored than many other VPs in the league, simply because of who he is.

It's quite comical that someone would suggest that GMs don't scout players until the bowls.

dunk7
11-20-2011, 11:43 PM

Don't understand what the harm is in drafting a QB as insurance in case Tebow doesn't learn how to throw spirals this offseason. Frankly I'm not sure how many offseasons that will take. Get over the paranoia. If they had it in for Timmy, Orton would have started after the Detroit game.