PDA

View Full Version : Should we try to trade Decker for Harvin?

Agent of Orange
11-20-2011, 12:27 PM
Would Harvin be better utilized in Denver's offense? It just seems that there would be more connections with Harvin on deep balls and also, there's just more that you can do with Harvin on short routes getting him in space. Additionally, Decker is from Minnesota so that might enhance his cachet with the Vikings.

Dapper Dan
11-20-2011, 12:33 PM
I don't want to lose Decker. He loves Denver. Denver loves him. I think he's a better blocker. He's bigger. We can't have 2 Eddie Royals.

Agent of Orange
11-20-2011, 12:34 PM
I don't want to lose Decker. He loves Denver. Denver loves him. I think he's a better blocker. He's bigger. We can't have 2 Eddie Royals.

Royal is probably gone after this year. Also, Harvin is probably a better version of what Royal is.

BTW, I'm not saying that we should do it but I wonder if we'd be better off with Harvin. I don't know though.

honz
11-20-2011, 12:36 PM
Some sort of Royal plus a late, late draft pick for Harvin would make a lot more sense IMO. But I love both Royal and Decker so I would hate to see either of them go. There's no denying that Tebow would likely have a better rapport with Harvin than he does Decker, though.

catfish
11-20-2011, 12:37 PM
Some sort of Royal plus a late, late draft pick for Harvin would make a lot more sense IMO. But I love both Royal and Decker so I would hate to see either of them go. There's no denying that Tebow would likely have a better rapport with Harvin than he does Decker, though.

I wouldn't count on that, I don't know how much Harvin and Tebow actually like each other

Northman
11-20-2011, 12:38 PM
No.

Decker is just fine.

Agent of Orange
11-20-2011, 12:39 PM
No.

Decker is just fine.

Fine in a homo way?

John Bad Elk
11-20-2011, 12:39 PM
Percy Harvin is awesome, I wish the Bronco's could pickup Harvin, he does have the migrane problems though. We need to keep Decker in Denver.

honz
11-20-2011, 12:40 PM
Royal is probably gone after this year. Also, Harvin is probably a better version of what Royal is.

BTW, I'm not saying that we should do it but I wonder if we'd be better off with Harvin. I don't know though.

Why do you say Royal is gone after this year? He hasn't really done jack since his rookie season with Cutler and Shanny so he's not gonna get a big time contract I wouldn't think. Plus, he can do so many things - return kicks, run reverses, play the slot, play out wide, motion into the backfield and run the option, and we've even seen him show off his arm on fake reverses on occasion - that he could be an extremly valuable piece in our offense if we decide to keep going forward with The Tebow.

Northman
11-20-2011, 12:41 PM
Fine in a homo way?

Lol, no. Fine as a player. I leave it up to Gem to get all googly eyed over his looks.

Agent of Orange
Percy Harvin is awesome, I wish the Bronco's could pickup Harvin, he does have the migrane problems though. We need to keep Decker in Denver.

Do you think we could get him for a draft pick? Or do you think they'd take Mary Thomas?

honz
I wouldn't count on that, I don't know how much Harvin and Tebow actually like each other
Why do you say that? I have never heard that they don't like each other.

Agent of Orange
Why do you say Royal is gone after this year? He hasn't really done jack since his rookie season with Cutler and Shanny so he's not gonna get a big time contract I wouldn't think. Plus, he can do so many things - return kicks, run reverses, play the slot, play out wide, motion into the backfield and run the option, and we've even seen him show off his arm on fake reverses on occasion - that he could be an extremly valuable piece in our offense if we decide to keep going forward with The Tebow.

Didn't he request to be traded?

weazel
11-20-2011, 12:42 PM
Decker is one of the few bright spots in our last few drafts. Harvin looks like he barely cares about the game

honz
11-20-2011, 12:42 PM
Lol, no. Fine as a player. I leave it up to Gem to get all googly eyed over his looks.
His legs are pretty finely toned. No homo.

honz
11-20-2011, 12:43 PM
Didn't he request to be traded?
Yeah, cause he was barely a part of the offense. That seems to have changed with Tebow at the helm.

catfish
11-20-2011, 12:44 PM
Why do you say that? I have never heard that they don't like each other.

Just a vibe I got when they played together at Florida, Tebow got all the love and Percy got no props despite the fact that he was ridiculous good and made Tebow look good. I think it led to a little bit of resentment...nothing official just the tone of answers when he was asked about Tebow...call it a gut feeling

catfish
11-20-2011, 12:49 PM
if we are throwing out wishes I would prefer Aaron Hernandez

honz
11-20-2011, 12:50 PM
Harvin got no credit? That's not how I remember it. I'm pretty sure he got plenty of attention. Tebow is a Heisman QB that won two National Championships so of course he is gonna get the most attention of anyone on that team, but Harvin is a douche-a-louche if that makes him resent his QB.

BroncoStud
11-20-2011, 12:51 PM
Decker is perfect for our downfield passing game. How stupid it would be to get rid of him. Harvin can't even stay healthy anyway. Hell no, major downgrade. Just take a speedy WR in the draft.

Northman
11-20-2011, 12:53 PM
if we are throwing out wishes I would prefer Aaron Hernandez

I second that.

I was pining for Hernandez in the draft and was pissed when NE got him. I knew he would be a force. He is in the same mold as Shannon Sharpe and i would LOVE to have him as a Bronco.

jhildebrand
11-20-2011, 12:54 PM
Do you think we could get him for a draft pick? Or do you think they'd take Mary Thomas?

Are you calling Marcus Thomas Mary? :confused: The guy is coming into his own. With a Fox scheme, I expect the guy to be huge.

I like the discussion but, in the end, I don't think anyone will need to trade for Harvin. I think he will be out of MN soon anyway. Decker is far too valuable and you don't want to give away value when you aren't absolutely certain that this Tebow scheme will work long term.

Dapper Dan
11-20-2011, 12:57 PM
Are you calling Marcus Thomas Mary? :confused: The guy is coming into his own. With a Fox scheme, I expect the guy to be huge.

I like the discussion but, in the end, I don't think anyone will need to trade for Harvin. I think he will be out of MN soon anyway. Decker is far too valuable and you don't want to give away value when you aren't absolutely certain that this Tebow scheme will work long term.

Probably DeMARYius Thomas.

vhatever
11-20-2011, 01:00 PM
Not a big fan of trading off players until we have seem them develop for a fear years, unless they have shown they can't do their job at all. We aren't going to get harvin for decker anyway cause harvin/allen/peterson are the only key players they have on their entire team right now.

catfish
11-20-2011, 01:00 PM
Harvin got no credit? That's not how I remember it. I'm pretty sure he got plenty of attention. Tebow is a Heisman QB that won two National Championships so of course he is gonna get the most attention of anyone on that team, but Harvin is a douche-a-louche if that makes him resent his QB.

It could be argued that Harvin contributed more to the 2006 Championship than Tebow did, and he was a vital part of the offense in 2007(as a heisman contender) and the 2008 championship run, however every article seemed to be about Tim, (I was in school at UF at the time). I can see why he could have been jealous

SR
11-20-2011, 01:06 PM
That's a horrible idea. With Tebow being the starting QB, it's pointless to go waste money on big name receivers that won't be able to put up any kind of numbers.

Agent of Orange
11-20-2011, 01:07 PM

We were talking about WRs, were we not? Why would you assume that Im talking about Marcus Thomas instead of DeMary(ius) Thomas?

Edit-- Sorry for being snarky and I agree with you about Marcus Thomas.

Agent of Orange
11-20-2011, 01:10 PM
Decker is perfect for our downfield passing game. How stupid it would be to get rid of him. Harvin can't even stay healthy anyway. Hell no, major downgrade. Just take a speedy WR in the draft.

Its not just about being fast. Its about scheming getting the ball in someone's hands in space on short stuff. With Harvin, you can run that option shovel pass. He's also really good at other shorter routes that can play off the option.

honz
11-20-2011, 01:11 PM
That's a horrible idea. With Tebow being the starting QB, it's pointless to go waste money on big name receivers that won't be able to put up any kind of numbers.

He lined up as a RB a lot at Florida and likely knows how to run the spread option better than anyone currently on our roster. I'm not sure I want to give up what we'd need to to get him, but it's certainly not a horrible idea.

GEM
11-20-2011, 01:26 PM
Hell no!!!

Slick
11-20-2011, 01:28 PM
I wouldn't trade Decker for him. We need at least one WR on the roster with some size. If we traded Decker we'd be left with Thomas and a bunch of smurfs.

Mobile Post via http://Mobile.BroncosForums.com/forums

broncobryce
11-20-2011, 01:53 PM
I think Harvin is a free agent soon. I would just wait and try to sign him when that happens. Decker drops a lot of balls though.

broncobryce
11-20-2011, 01:54 PM
What I don't understand is why they don't throw half or all those deep balls to Demaryius Thomas. He can make acrobat catches that Decker can't. Decker is probably a better route runner though.

Agent of Orange
11-20-2011, 01:57 PM
What I don't understand is why they don't throw half or all those deep balls to Demaryius Thomas. He can make acrobat catches that Decker can't. Decker is probably a better route runner though.

Ive thought the same thing. It's like Tebow misses Decker by a step a lot. Decker has good speed but Thomas and Royal have better speed and wouldnt be limited at closing in on the deep balls. There have been a lot of near misses on the deep balls to Decker. It's like he doesnt have that extra gear.

nevcraw
11-20-2011, 02:01 PM
Just a vibe I got when they played together at Florida, Tebow got all the love and Percy got no props despite the fact that he was ridiculous good and made Tebow look good. I think it led to a little bit of resentment...nothing official just the tone of answers when he was asked about Tebow...call it a gut feeling

i'm sorry I thought this was a man's game??

DenBronx
11-20-2011, 02:06 PM
Decker for headache Harvin?

Helllllzz no!

Eddie Royal is simular to Harvin and we are using Eddie alot more in the option/returns. So they can keep Harvin for all I care.

DenBronx
11-20-2011, 02:09 PM
I would love it if we signed Marques Colston in the offseason.

Not sure how many WRs would like to come here though. We might just have to draft them.

And to think we could have had Dez Bryant. :coffee:

catfish
11-20-2011, 02:59 PM
i'm sorry I thought this was a man's game??

I'm not saying they wouldn't play together, just that assuming Harvin and Tebow would have better chemistry than Decker and Tebow might be a false assumption

hamrob
11-20-2011, 03:06 PM
Would Harvin be better utilized in Denver's offense? It just seems that there would be more connections with Harvin on deep balls and also, there's just more that you can do with Harvin on short routes getting him in space. Additionally, Decker is from Minnesota so that might enhance his cachet with the Vikings.Hell no! If Decker had played at Florida, he would have been the best WR in College Football!

He and Tebow are just getting used to each other and have already connected on multiple plays. I like our WR's alot. Wait until Thomas starts getting more time on the field...he and Decker are going to be special. Royal in the slot is pudding on the cake. We are set at WR!

Tebow needs time to build confidence in the passing game....it will come!!!

broncobryce
11-20-2011, 03:10 PM
Tebow looked much better with Gaffney and Lloyd. He definitely could use someone he can trust at WR. But I agree it will come the longer they all work together.

DenBronx
11-20-2011, 03:42 PM
Tebow looked much better with Gaffney and Lloyd. He definitely could use someone he can trust at WR. But I agree it will come the longer they all work together.

Yeah and we gave those guys away for basically nothing.

Too bad Llyod was a little girl about the situation and decided to go to a sucky ass team.

Locnar
11-20-2011, 04:57 PM
I think we should draft Marvin Mcnutt in the second round if he slips that far. There has been a lot of talent coming out of Iowa the last few years, and he has the ability to be a great receiver. He can make those circus catches like Lloyd, and he can run after the catch like Marshall. Whether we stick with Tebow or not, he could be a great contribution to our offense.

TXBRONC
11-20-2011, 09:24 PM
No we shouldn't.

Poet
11-20-2011, 09:28 PM
Eric Decker is a better WR than Harvin is.

Agent of Orange
11-20-2011, 09:40 PM
I'm not saying they wouldn't play together, just that assuming Harvin and Tebow would have better chemistry than Decker and Tebow might be a false assumption

Im not necessarily even talking about that. Harvin is a guy you can throw a 3 yard pass to and watch it go for 20. He's better in space than Decker is, not to mention the deep ball.

DenBronx
11-20-2011, 09:45 PM
Eric Decker is a better WR than Harvin is.

And we need a tall target like Decker to remain here in Denver. Decker is still very young and will only get better and he has what 8 TDs on the year so far? IMO, Decker is also a threat in the return game and we have Royal, who isnt as good but simular to Harvin.

Saying that, Harvin did have a decent day today but his health is always in question.

tomjonesrocks
11-20-2011, 10:25 PM
Decker's been a good team guy with a QB that can't throw the ball. He's actually unselfish, probably because he was unheralded. Can we say Harvin would be as cool with Tebow's struggles? I'd rather lose Royal.

catfish
11-20-2011, 10:25 PM
Im not necessarily even talking about that. Harvin is a guy you can throw a 3 yard pass to and watch it go for 20. He's better in space than Decker is, not to mention the deep ball.

I think Harvin has better speed and is better in YAC(I havne't looked it up) but he is a shitty blocking WR, and has a high opinion of himself, Decker appears to be a team player with above average speed and isn't afraid to block...wish his hands were a little better but you can't have everything. Given my choice I would pick a stud pass catching TE and a RB with good hands over any wide receiver right now

Agent of Orange
11-20-2011, 10:28 PM
I think Harvin has better speed and is better in YAC(I havne't looked it up) but he is a shitty blocking WR, and has a high opinion of himself, Decker appears to be a team player with above average speed and isn't afraid to block...wish his hands were a little better but you can't have everything. Given my choice I would pick a stud pass catching TE and a RB with good hands over any wide receiver right now

Yeah, I would take Richardson in the draft right now.

getlynched47
11-21-2011, 12:36 AM
Hell no.

Let's trade for Riley Cooper. Him and Decker on the outside would be phenomenal.

Agent of Orange
11-21-2011, 12:38 AM
Hell no.

Let's trade for Riley Cooper. Him and Decker on the outside would be phenomenal.

Why would you like this? Is it because they're two white dudes or because they're ex-baseball players? Or do you think they're hot?

dogfish
11-21-2011, 03:59 AM
**** no!

sneakers
11-21-2011, 05:03 AM
You know that Starvin' Harvin is a few years older, and is injury prone, right? Oh yeah, and salary will be greater too.

sneakers
11-21-2011, 05:03 AM
**** no!

I think you meant:

oKI-tD0L18A

Joel
11-21-2011, 06:10 AM
Would Harvin be better utilized in Denver's offense? It just seems that there would be more connections with Harvin on deep balls and also, there's just more that you can do with Harvin on short routes getting him in space. Additionally, Decker is from Minnesota so that might enhance his cachet with the Vikings.
I don't see why. I like Decker a lot; he's about the only receiver we have worthy of the name apart from Royal, and I don't think the Vikings would let Harvin go easily (if Peterson is gone very long the Vikings are about to be pointedly reminded of Harvins versatile value to them.) I think we'd have to give the Vikings a lot in addition to Decker, and all we'd get for it would be Harvin. I'd love to have the guy on our team, but not as much as I love having Decker and the draft picks it would cost to get him. Also, Tebows eyes aren't good enough to lock onto a guy in Minnesota every week. :tongue:

MileHighCrew
11-21-2011, 07:31 AM
No.

Agent of Orange
11-21-2011, 08:48 AM
I don't see why. I like Decker a lot; he's about the only receiver we have worthy of the name apart from Royal, and I don't think the Vikings would let Harvin go easily (if Peterson is gone very long the Vikings are about to be pointedly reminded of Harvins versatile value to them.) I think we'd have to give the Vikings a lot in addition to Decker, and all we'd get for it would be Harvin. I'd love to have the guy on our team, but not as much as I love having Decker and the draft picks it would cost to get him. Also, Tebows eyes aren't good enough to lock onto a guy in Minnesota every week. :tongue:

This wouldn't be for this year. The trade deadline was wk 6.

hotcarl
11-21-2011, 11:00 AM
great thread! good insight! great idea!

for a clown to have

at the circus

vandammage13
11-21-2011, 01:56 PM
You know that Starvin' Harvin is a few years older, and is injury prone, right? Oh yeah, and salary will be greater too.

For the record, Harvin is 23 and Decker is 24...

You are probably right about the last 2 points though.

Dreadnought
11-21-2011, 02:04 PM
Hell no. Its hard enough as it is to flush all of the douche WR's from a roster. We now have done so, so why bring in a new douche?

NightTerror218
11-21-2011, 02:35 PM
I would rather trade Royal or DT for Harvin rather then Decker.

vandammage13
11-21-2011, 03:23 PM
I would rather trade Royal or DT for Harvin rather then Decker.

Don't think the Vikings would give up Harvin for any of them.

...It would probably take one of those guys plus a mid round draft pick, which I don't think would be worth it.

Joel
11-21-2011, 03:32 PM
This wouldn't be for this year. The trade deadline was wk 6.
I meant that Petersons absence is likely to underscore Harvins long term importance to the Vikings, so even in the off season (more so, in fact) they would want a lot more than I'd want to give for him.

NightTerror218
11-21-2011, 03:40 PM
Don't think the Vikings would give up Harvin for any of them.

...It would probably take one of those guys plus a mid round draft pick, which I don't think would be worth it.

Depends on what EFX, they dude has some great chemistry with Tebow and he is good. DT for him could be the right price. Since both were 1st round picks. Both have injury issues.

vandammage13
11-21-2011, 03:51 PM
Depends on what EFX, they dude has some great chemistry with Tebow and he is good. DT for him could be the right price. Since both were 1st round picks. Both have injury issues.

Both do have injury issues, but DT's are way worse than Harvin's.

DT's on field production doesn't come close to Harvin's either, so I don't see what the Vikes would be getting out of the trade.

Looked up the numbers:

Harvin has 12 Rec TD's, 2 Rush TD's, 4 Return TD's, 2,117 Rec Yds, 466 Rush Yds.

DT has 3 Rec TD's, 0 Rush TD's, 0 Return TD's, 386 Rec Yds, 1 Rush Yard.

Also Harvin has only missed 3 games in his career, so it's not like he's as injury prone as you might think.

If the Vikes made this trade it would be one of the worst ever in terms of statistical comparison.

Maybe you have Harvin confused with someone else, because DT isn't close to the player he is at this point.

Traveler
11-22-2011, 06:12 AM

You assume Tebow will be the starting QB. Makes no sense to try to get Harvin if Tebow isn't in the teams long term plans. Besides, we are fine with Decker, Thomas, and Royal, if he doesn't leave in FA.

sneakers
11-22-2011, 06:21 AM
You assume Tebow will be the starting QB. Makes no sense to try to get Harvin if Tebow isn't in the teams long term plans. Besides, we are fine with Decker, Thomas, and Royal, if he doesn't leave in FA.

Don't forget about Quon Crosby.

Joel
11-27-2011, 11:01 PM
DEFINITELY not. For folks who missed the Vikings game, Harvin singlehandedly kept them in it. DESPITE play like Decker had today, getting Harvin would take at least next years 2nd and 3rd. Harvin is not worth THAT.

DenBronx
11-27-2011, 11:03 PM
What??? Decker did a fine job today.

I do like Harvin but only if it didnt cost any draft picks.

Don't forget, the offseason will be LOADED with free agent WRs.

dogfish
11-28-2011, 01:56 AM
the whole idea is silly. . .

i believe decker was second in the league in receiving TDs a few weeks ago, and without looking it up i'm sure he's still in that range. . . why trade a player like that? he's big, fast and athletic enough, hardnosed, and a kick-ass blocker. . . no need to trade him for some florida championship team reuinion. . .

i've got news for ya. . . if elway thinks we're still going to be running the option in a year or two, he's going to draft a pocket passer this year-- not collect option weapons. . .

besides which, who trades a healthy wideout for one with inherent health concerns?

:noidea:

furthermore, i'd say we really don't need to make any major move at wide receiver. . . i wish to hell we'd just kept gaffney, we'd be in good shape. . . as it is, i'd love to see us re-sign royal at the right price, and maybe bring in one competent vet in the mold of gaff or stokley-- someone that's not going to be expensive, or complain about playing time if thomas breaks out and sends them to the bench. . . a player that can push DT for snaps outside if he's loafing, or operate out of the slot as a reliable 3rd down option. . . beyond that, i'd rather devote our high picks and the majority of our FA dollars to the lines, and cornerback-- and at least one more RB, if not one each in the draft and FA. . . deal with our biggest priorities, and let our young talent at WR develop for another year. . . those guys all have two years or more with the same base EP, and have now put in some time with tebow. . . if we keep those same primary elements in place for another year, hopefully we'll see some of the same type of progress that the O-line is experiencing right now. . .

Joel
11-28-2011, 02:00 AM
If the Vikes made this trade it would be one of the worst ever in terms of statistical comparison.
So, like, bottom five for Minnesota.... :rolleyes: I like 'em, but they don't make it easy. :tsk:

CrazyHorse
11-28-2011, 04:27 AM
Are you high?

Flex040679
11-28-2011, 04:48 AM
Dumb post

dogfish
11-28-2011, 05:02 AM
Are you high?

frankly, the suggestion that being high would produce such a dumb idea is a little insulting to millions of perfectly rational stoners around the world. . . :laugh:

Timmy!
11-28-2011, 07:06 AM
pretty much what dogtard said. our current wr corp is servicable, and decker is a stud. run blocking wr`s are at a premium for us i think, and decker is great. hope dt gets better, willis has shown flashes. sign a solid vet on the cheap and we are good. put the money into the dl, cb, and get another legit rb. im all about getting big, mean and nasty.

Mobile Post via http://Mobile.BroncosForums.com/forums

CrazyHorse
11-28-2011, 07:10 AM
frankly, the suggestion that being high would produce such a dumb idea is a little insulting to millions of perfectly rational stoners around the world. . . :laugh:

It could be crack or meth. You never know.