PDA

View Full Version : Rex Ryan: "Its Tough to Stop 11 on 11 Football Like That"

Bullgator
11-20-2011, 02:57 AM
As I have been screaming all year FINALLY someone else admits what a killer this type of football can be.

Spread the ball out. Empty back field. Let Tim decide on the play according to what the Defense is doing! Pass or run... dictated by whatever the they do.. I swear its like a fluid kung fu, what ever they got you counter, run or pass...

I've started threads on this, posted comments, stats, facts ect... and been mocked and laughed at and chased off

but seriously, logically it is the evolution of football and 11 on 11 ball by a hybrid, durable, QB is quite literally unstoppable.

:beer: here is to the coaching staff either getting this scheme in place (For at least all the crucial drives)or hiring me to bang out the details :D

Click the post game video near the bottom to hear Ryan talk about 11 on 11 and he also begrudgingly gives Tim props.

in addition to the 11 on 11 comment he also say this later in the postgame:

"I thought we did a tremendous job on defense, trying to come up with a way to defend their multiple offense and all the things they present," Jets coach Rex Ryan said. "People can laugh about this or whatever. This is a hard offense to defend."

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/tim-tebow-denver-broncos-hand-ny-jets-devastating-17-13-loss-95-yard-drive-last-minute-score-article-1.979507

Trailer Park Casanova
11-20-2011, 03:42 AM
Though the Jets looked like a swarm of circus midgets chasing a giant, for a while there it looked like they had Tebow figured out.

Perhaps Tebow isn't the loose cannon the media portrays him to be. Perhaps also the Broncos coaching staff is training and mentoring him more than the media would like us to think.

If the Jets game set up any thoughts in my pea-sized brain it's that the Broncos have a the potential of a menagerie of offense styles and can expand on it, and most other teams don't and perhaps can't.
And the other teams defenses are still figuring it all out.

As long as the Broncos defense holds up,, Denver is playoff bound.

Broncos may be playin' ugly,, but they ain't playin' stupid.

SoCalImport
11-20-2011, 07:28 AM
Sounds a lot like excuses from Ryan. Not a lot of HCs come out and blame themselves or call out their teams (or QBs) for blowing a winnable game.
But regardless of that. Tebow's Physical running as much as the fact that he runs is what opposing defenses seem to struggle to contain.
After the commentators gushed about Lennord (sp) the Jets safety, Tebow ran through his arm tackle so hard the the poor little guy did a mini helicopter in mid air.

Joel
11-20-2011, 08:00 AM
Leonhard played a pretty solid game; the reason you kept hearing his name was because he kept making plays. Unfortunately for him and his team, he kept making plays because, just as in our case, his offense kept sticking him back out there and forcing him to do so. By the end of the fourth quarter both those offenses were pretty gassed; their D broke before ours, which is a tribute to ours, and to a lesser extent, to Tebow, our line, and our receivers finally deciding to catch what were generally decent passes.

I'm still not seeing the many headed hydra of balanced kung fu offense though, nice as that sounds. It helped immensely that our receivers finally started making catches, but let's not kid ourselves about that that final drive was balanced unpredictable offense.

Denver Broncos at 05:54
1-10-DEN 5 (5:54) Direction Change. (Shotgun) 15-T.Tebow pass short right to 19-E.Royal pushed ob at DEN 13 for 8 yards (24-D.Revis).

2-2-DEN 13 (5:25) 15-T.Tebow right tackle to DEN 28 for 15 yards (33-E.Smith).

1-10-DEN 28 (4:43) (Shotgun) 15-T.Tebow pass short left to 88-D.Thomas pushed ob at DEN 37 for 9 yards (31-A.Cromartie).

2-1-DEN 37 (4:36) (Shotgun) 15-T.Tebow pass incomplete deep left to 88-D.Thomas.

3-1-DEN 37 (4:32) (Shotgun) 15-T.Tebow right guard to DEN 44 for 7 yards (24-D.Revis; 33-E.Smith).

1-10-DEN 44 (3:53) (Shotgun) 15-T.Tebow scrambles right end to NYJ 47 for 9 yards (94-M.Dixon).

2-1-NYJ 47 (3:45) (Shotgun) 15-T.Tebow up the middle to NYJ 44 for 3 yards (53-J.Mauga).

1-10-NYJ 44 (3:02) (Shotgun) 15-T.Tebow pass incomplete short left to 88-D.Thomas.

2-10-NYJ 44 (2:57) (Shotgun) 15-T.Tebow pass deep left to 81-D.Rosario to NYJ 26 for 18 yards (33-E.Smith).

1-10-NYJ 26 (2:31) 35-L.Ball up the middle to NYJ 23 for 3 yards (52-D.Harris).

Two-Minute Warning

2-7-NYJ 23 (2:00) (Shotgun) 15-T.Tebow up the middle to NYJ 20 for 3 yards (91-S.Pouha).

3-4-NYJ 20 (1:06) (Shotgun) 15-T.Tebow left end for 20 yards, TOUCHDOWN.

7 runs, 3 completions and 2 incompletions, and even Ryan admitted they knew the Tebow run was coming on 3rd and 4 (despite it being a called pass;)) they just didn't stop it, and it cost them the game. 57 yards of Tebow rushing, 3 more of Ball rushing and 35 of Tebow passing. That's not balanced "what are they gonna do?" offense, it's "stack 9 in the box and count on Tebow to miss more throws than he hits, like he has in every start this year." I think a fair amount of that was playcalling, and some of it was also drops, but whatever the reason, until we are hitting more than 50% of our passes we can not be balanced, teams have no reason to defend against our passing, and they will stuff our run more often than not because they can sell out on it. The Jets did that most of the game, as all our opponents have since Tebow took over; our defence simply played stellar games against all of them but the Lions so that when Tebow got his one solid drive it was enough to put us over the top.

I like the improvement we've seen from Tebow, consistently better each week, but if this offense were dangerous anywhere but in a Rex Ryan "why it's not our fault" press conference it would have scored more than 10 points on Thursday. It's not pass or run, it's keep or hand off (what's known as "the quarterback option") and it's not a winner in the NFL. I don't think we'll be stuck with it down the road, because I'm largely convinced Tebow is capable of more, but until he both achieves that capability and convinces our coaches he has done so, he won't convince defences either, and we'll be stuck playing Woody Hayes football, which would be fine if this were Ohio St. in 1955, but it is not.

chazoe60
11-20-2011, 08:08 AM
That's pretty much the oposite of what his stupid fat fabio wannabe brother said the other day.

Rob came out and ridiculed our whole team basically especially the offense. Guess he didn't like seeing us end his foot sucking brother's season. :laugh:

Which Ryan is more annoying, Rob or Rex?

nflfan
11-20-2011, 08:14 AM
Save for the 1st Boncos possession, the Jets were extremely successful defending against the Broncos offense with their base defense. On the final drive, they went prevent defense instead. I'm not saying Tebow and the Broncos would surely not have been able to move down the field 95 yards had they stuck to their base defense, but they've been successful throughout most of the game with it, which makes people question why the change?

Still, it's pretty classy of Rex to give credit to the Broncos.

MOtorboat
11-20-2011, 09:08 AM
Yeah, the Jets stifled the Broncos all night, except for one drive. It was like 74 yards between the first drive and the last.

chazoe60
11-20-2011, 09:19 AM
Yeah, the Jets stifled the Broncos all night, except for one drive. It was like 74 yards between the first drive and the last.

And we did the same to their prostyle offense with the highly touted first-round quarterback who everybody loved three years ago

MOtorboat
11-20-2011, 09:42 AM
And we did the same to their prostyle offense with the highly touted first-round quarterback who everybody loved three years ago

We did. The defense is damn good and Miller is the catalyst. Miller was the player of the game Thursday.

Would you say that's somehow a broad sweeping indictment of the pro-style offense?

chazoe60
11-20-2011, 09:57 AM
We did. The defense is damn good and Miller is the catalyst. Miller was the player of the game Thursday.

Would you say that's somehow a broad sweeping indictment of the pro-style offense?

All I'm saying is there's more than one way to win a game and more than one way to lose a Game

MOtorboat
11-20-2011, 10:08 AM
All I'm saying is there's more than one way to win a game and more than one way to lose a Game

The offense needs to sustain more than one drive a game. I guess I'm saying the offense is going to have to play more like it did against Oakland than it did against Kansas City and New York, if Denver wants to win the division.

chazoe60
11-20-2011, 10:13 AM
The offense needs to sustain more than one drive a game. I guess I'm saying the offense is going to have to play more like it did against Oakland than it did against Kansas City and New York, if Denver wants to win the division.

This division is so terrible that we may win it even if we play the rest of season call way we played against the Jets, however you're correct we need to play better offense to have any sort of long-term success specially in the playoffs

I want to see what the next six games gives us and I would like to see what Tebow can do with a full off-season of NFL coaching

MOtorboat
11-20-2011, 10:20 AM
This division is so terrible that we may win it even if we play the rest of season call way we played against the Jets, however you're correct we need to play better offense to have any sort of long-term success specially in the playoffs

I want to see what the next six games gives us and I would like to see what Tebow can do with a full off-season of NFL coaching

I think Tebow has bought himself a little time, and he'll get the offseason to essentially be the starter going into camp.

I think Denver takes a more traditional drop back guy in the second or third round, whereas two or three games ago, I think Denver was hellbent on QB in round one.

Agent of Orange
11-20-2011, 10:28 AM
What people need to realize is that the offense changed what it was doing on the last drive. Before that last drive a number of possessions followed the following seqence: dive play, dive play, pass on third and long.

Before that last drive Tebow had two carries for 9 yards. They started that drive with a high percentage pass to Royal that got us 8 yards. Aside from the very first play of the game, this might have been the only time we passed on first down.

I also think that Tebow is playing to not throw INTs and this is what's behind some of the bad misses. It just seems like when the game is on the line though, he becomes more accurate seemingly because that anxiety goes out the window.

Ziggy
11-20-2011, 10:36 AM
I've started threads on this, posted comments, stats, facts ect... and been mocked and laughed at and chased off

That doesn't have anything to do with our offense. It's because you attack anyone who doesn't agree completely with your opinion. You're not really the victim Gator, you just make yourself out to be.

I think Tebow has earned himself the right to start the rest of the season, and be the #1 going into camp next year. If this overall system continues to win games, the Broncos probably won't trade up for a QB in the draft. He'll still have to show improvement as a passer to keep the job beyond this season though. My guess is that Elway brings in a QB that can both run the option and pass out of the pocket. He'll give Tebow every opportunity to succeed, but he won't leave the team in a position to have to go back to the drawing board completely if Tim gets hurt or doesn't get better as a pocket passer.

Yes, this offense is hard for teams to game plan against, but Elway knows that it's going to take more from that side of the ball to win championships. Hopefully, him and Tebow spend a ton of time together working in the offseason and Tim becomes the type of QB that can run a conventional offense along with the option, and put up 25-30 points a game. Now that would be nearly impossible to stop.

honz
11-20-2011, 10:44 AM
Save for the 1st Boncos possession, the Jets were extremely successful defending against the Broncos offense with their base defense. On the final drive, they went prevent defense instead. I'm not saying Tebow and the Broncos would surely not have been able to move down the field 95 yards had they stuck to their base defense, but they've been successful throughout most of the game with it, which makes people question why the change?

The Jets didn't go prevent defense. We spread the field 4 or 5 wide and forced them to go nickel so they didn't get burned by a deep pass.

claymore
11-20-2011, 11:18 AM
If this Offense is legitimate, I dont see it catching on. They dont make human beings as durable as the position would require. Its different at the collegiate level because the defensive talent talent isnt as good (wont get hit as often or as hard) , and your swapping QBs every 2-4 years anyway.

underrated29
11-20-2011, 12:12 PM
If this Offense is legitimate, I dont see it catching on. They dont make human beings as durable as the position would require. Its different at the collegiate level because the defensive talent talent isnt as good (wont get hit as often or as hard) , and your swapping QBs every 2-4 years anyway.

I agree that the offense wont catch on. And I think as tebow gets better as a QB (remember hes only played 8 games) that it will just be a wrinkle that we use everynow and then. Kinda like LT and the chargers throwing the TD to gates, or NE using their LB Vrabel to catch a TD on goaline, or Pitts using randel el on end around passes and such. We will just use it to catch teams off guard.

However, in all the games that we have been doing it. Tebow has not taken any hard hits in it. Sure he has been tackled on his runs, but I GURANTEE that the sack Sanchez took from Von Miller in the 4th Qtr hurt more and did More damage then ALL of the hits tebow has taken THIS YEAR Combined.

nevcraw
11-20-2011, 01:56 PM
I think the popular assumption here and with the talking heads is that Tebow will not get better at running a pro style offense. He's already shown signs of improving his passing and he's certainly smart enough to run any offense as what he he's been doing now isn't exactly easy..
and when they are not running the read option the play calling is very predictable and not learning qb friendly as the passes are always long bomb types that are low percentage completions passes to begin with..

Bullgator
11-20-2011, 05:23 PM

One it was NOT the prevent.... IT WAS THE NICKLE... they were FORCED into the nickle by us playing 5 WIDE WITH NO BACKFIELD.

YOU CANT PLAY 3-4 BASE WHEN YOU HAVE TO COVER 5 RECEIVERS.

They only time we played 5 wide spread was the fisrt play of the game and the last drive... and as you can see it was most effective...

The rest of the game we handed the ball of and did some undercenter bullshit that allowed them to play their base D.

wayninja
11-20-2011, 08:12 PM
After the commentators gushed about Lennord (sp) the Jets safety, Tebow ran through his arm tackle so hard the the poor little guy did a mini helicopter in mid air.

That wasn't Leonhard, that was Smith. Leonhard was the guy that couldn't put it away by tackling Royal in the endzone to start the drive.

lgenf
11-20-2011, 11:25 PM
Our 5 WR set with empty backfield and Tebow in the shotgun is what Tebow works best in right now, because that is what he ran a lot of at Florida, and it was talked about during the game Thursday that McCoy is learning from Tebow in that set because he doesn't have experience with it, play calling for it and Tebow does, so Tebow has been teaching the coach on that one.

I would just like to see that set come out before that last drive of the game ala Miami and the Jets

If we could run that a little more often our passing would balance out some as well, yes Tebow is a great runner and can take advantage when either the plays break down, there is pressure or no one is open, but with 5 WRs and Tebows ability to extend the play, eventually someone gets open, and with him back in the shotgun already he gets a better read of the defense

I know we can't play from it all day, but more than the last drives PLEASE COACHES???????

nflfan
11-21-2011, 12:31 AM
The Jets didn't go prevent defense. We spread the field 4 or 5 wide and forced them to go nickel so they didn't get burned by a deep pass.

Again, would you want Tebow to beat you with his passing or his running? The Jets have been daring him to throw all game, and save for the 1st drive, it was extremely successful.

getlynched47
11-21-2011, 12:32 AM
When Tim Tebow is on the field, it turns into 22 on 11 football. Kinda like an "Angels in the Outfield" type of situation.

Joel
11-21-2011, 04:55 AM
What people need to realize is that the offense changed what it was doing on the last drive. Before that last drive a number of possessions followed the following seqence: dive play, dive play, pass on third and long.

Before that last drive Tebow had two carries for 9 yards. They started that drive with a high percentage pass to Royal that got us 8 yards. Aside from the very first play of the game, this might have been the only time we passed on first down.

I also think that Tebow is playing to not throw INTs and this is what's behind some of the bad misses. It just seems like when the game is on the line though, he becomes more accurate seemingly because that anxiety goes out the window.
That makes a lot of sense, and helps explain why three of Tebows five starts were wins because the game was close all day and he only needed one solid drive at the end. It's also consistent with the philosophy we've been hearing from Fox, since pre-season, really: Play tough defensive football, pound it out on the ground, keep the game close and win it in the fourth quarter. With that kind of philosophy we're not going to see Tebow, Manning or anyone else putting the ball up for grabs 30 or 40 times a game (which would explain a lot of the playcalling, too.) I can't really criticize Tebow for doing exactly what his coaches are telling him.

Naturally, a lot of that goes out the window in the waning minutes of the fourth quarter, when avoiding high risk/reward plays and expecting your D to give you another chance if you don't score is no longer an option. At that point, it's put up or shut up, and Tebow has mostly done the former so far, but most QBs are more accurate when nine guys are in the box to stop a first down run and receivers are wide open downfield.

It's hard to argue with success, even against mostly poor teams, but I saw the same pattern throughout the game as you did, and I'm sure the Jets did, too, so I'd like to see it changed. Part of why that last drive worked so well is because they expected us to keep doing what we did on every possession except our first, but to maintain long term success we have to not only be accurate with our throws, but throw when we aren't expected to so our chance of accuracy and success increases. Yes, I want Tebow to complete passes on third and long but, if that's the ONLY time he passes, it forces him to fight uphill all game. Meanwhile, he and McGahee are charing into nine defenders every time they run on first and second down because the D knows we won't pass. It's Offense 101: When the D knows what you're doing before the snap, they've already won half the battle.

Our 5 WR set with empty backfield and Tebow in the shotgun is what Tebow works best in right now, because that is what he ran a lot of at Florida, and it was talked about during the game Thursday that McCoy is learning from Tebow in that set because he doesn't have experience with it, play calling for it and Tebow does, so Tebow has been teaching the coach on that one.

I would just like to see that set come out before that last drive of the game ala Miami and the Jets

If we could run that a little more often our passing would balance out some as well, yes Tebow is a great runner and can take advantage when either the plays break down, there is pressure or no one is open, but with 5 WRs and Tebows ability to extend the play, eventually someone gets open, and with him back in the shotgun already he gets a better read of the defense

I know we can't play from it all day, but more than the last drives PLEASE COACHES???????
I heard the announcers saying that, too, and couldn't help thinking, If our sophomore amateur QB is teaching our OC how to call plays, what does that say about the quality of our OC? I'm not saying we should replace McCoy with Urban Meyer, but at this point I'm more impatient with the playcalling than the QB. Tebow's far from a perfect passer, but he's far from awful one; he's not only improved, but improved FURTHER each week. It's unrealistic to expect anyone will continue being better than the last week for an entire season, because setbacks and plateaus are just part of the growing pains of any development (if Tebow DOES get better every week for the next two months, look OUT next year!)

He is, however, good ENOUGH at this point (IMHO) that I want us to do more pro style passing, and not just on third and long when the whole stadium knows it's coming. Predictable repetitive playcalling sets the Broncos up to fail: It tells Tebow and the rest of the team the coaches have no confidence in him and undermines his own confidence when defences consistently stuff what they know is coming. I was an Oilers and Cowboys fan during the legendary arguments between Reeves and Elway (in fact, one of my most bitter memories is Elway scrambling for a first down on 4th and 20 on the final drive against an Oilers team leading Denver during one of our many one and done playoff appearances) but you can't be around Broncos fans very long without learning about them. I can certainly understand why so many long time Broncos fans see eerie and disquieting similarities between then and now. We need to stop saying Tebow is our go to passer, and start acting like it.