PDA

View Full Version : Mike Priefer Special Teams Coach?

TXBRONC
01-14-2009, 04:24 PM
I don't know much about him other than the fact he was apparently coaching special teams for the Chiefs this last season.

http://www.rockymountainnews.com/news/2009/jan/14/priefer-in-line-to-become-broncos-special-teams/

Priefer in line to become Broncos' special-teams coach
By Jeff Legwold, Rocky Mountain News (Contact)
Published January 14, 2009 at 2:14 p.m.

ENGEWOOD -- Newly hired Broncos coach Josh McDaniels continues to make the rounds in search of assistants to fill out his staff.

And the Broncos are expected to make Mike Priefer their special-teams coach if the two sides hit no unexpected snags. He has been the Chiefs' special-teams coach since 2006.

The Broncos took a look at Patriots special-teams coach Brad Seely, whom McDaniels had worked with at New England, but Seely is now expected to join Eric Mangini's staff in Cleveland.

Mangini is another former Patriots assistant. And Seely has been on the Patriots staff for a decade, long enough to be the only holdover from Pete Carroll's time as New England head coach.

Former Broncos special-teams coordinator Scott O'Brien was not retained when Mike Shanahan was fired - O'Brien will replace Seely with the Patriots - so McDaniels has a significant opening to fill.

Priefer has a year left on his current contract in Kansas City, but the Broncos are expected to give him the title of special-teams coordinator, so the move would be a promotion and, thus, one Priefer would be able to make.

The Chiefs have given Priefer permission to talk with both Green Bay and the Broncos, but he is expected to end up at the Broncos' Dove Valley complex.

Priefer, a graduate of the U.S. Naval Academy, flew helicopters for five years before starting his coaching career. His father, Chuck, is a longtime NFL special-teams coach who spent the past 10 years as the Lions' special-teams coordinator.

legwoldj@RockyMountainNews.com

Lonestar
01-14-2009, 04:49 PM
Hmmmmm O'Brien going to NE, perhaps he was not as bad as we all thought..

SmilinAssasSin27
01-14-2009, 05:37 PM
special teams hve coaches? huh. whodathunkit?

MileHighWrath
01-14-2009, 06:04 PM
They could have made Kermit the Frog the new ST coach and we would notice an improvement.

jlarsiii
01-14-2009, 06:04 PM
Hmmmmm O'Brien going to NE, perhaps he was not as bad as we all thought..

I guess we will find out.

At some point we can't blame the scheme anymore. That is when you have to look at the talent, or lack thereof, and say that definitely plays a role in our ST suckitude.

Cheez Whiz
01-14-2009, 06:38 PM
Another interesting tibit from Michael Lombardi,

"I know the Broncos want to talk to linebackers coach Don Martindale, whose Raiders contract expired Tuesday, and are scheduled to interview him some time today. Martindale has a few options available to him."

Here is his Bio.

Don Martindale, a 23-year coaching veteran with experience as a college defensive coordinator and a coach on a Division 1-AA National Championship team, is in his fifth year as the Raiders linebackers coach. In 2007, Martindale’s unit included players who ranked first and second while totaling 10 interceptions. Thomas Howard led the AFC in interception return yards and was tied for fifth in the NFL with six interceptions, while Kirk Morrison had four. In addition, linebackers ranked first (Morrison), second (Howard) and fourth (Robert Thomas) in tackles.

In 2006, Martindale’s unit helped the Raiders finish first in the NFL in pass defense and third in the league in total defense. He tutored a corps that included Kirk Morrison, who finished 11th in the NFL in tackles and Thomas Howard, who placed second in the NFL among rookies in tackles.

In 2005, Martindale coached a linebacking unit that included Kirk Morrison, who led all NFL rookies in tackles. Morrison and Danny Clark each had more than 100 tackles in 2005, to rank among the league leaders and only four other teams had two linebackers in the top-25 in tackles. Under the tutelage of Martindale, Clark also finished eighth in the NFL in total stops in 2004.

Martindale spent three seasons at Western Kentucky, serving as the Hilltoppers inside linebackers coach and special teams coordinator. He also helped produce a group of linebackers that were considered among I-AA's best. In 2003 he was defensive coordinator at Western Kentucky when they ranked sixth in the nation in total defense. In 2002, his unit played a key role in helping Western Kentucky capture the NCAA Division 1 AA National Championship.

Martindale entered the coaching ranks as an assistant at his alma mater, Defiance College, in 1986. In 1987, he was defensive coordinator at Defiance and then spent the next six years coaching at the Ohio high school level.

The Dayton, Ohio native was a defensive assistant at Notre Dame from 1994-1995, helping the Irish earn a berth in the 1995 Fiesta Bowl and the 1996 Orange Bowl. Martindale then coached defensive ends at the University of Cincinnati in 1996 before spending the 1997 and 1998 seasons as the Bearcats linebackers coach and special teams coordinator.

He helped Cincinnati appear in the 1997 Humanitarian Bowl as the defense was in the top five nationally both against the run and in forced turnovers. In addition, special teams topped the conference in at least one category in both seasons he mentored the group. In addition, his special teams units topped the conference in at least one category during his tenure.

In 1999, Martindale was defensive coordinator and linebackers coach at Western Illinois where they were in second in the nation in total defense. His family includes wife Laura, daughter Cassie and son Ty.

ikillz0mbies
01-14-2009, 06:52 PM
I really wouldn't mind the Raiders linebackers coach. He's coached one hell of a LB unit there in Oakland with Morrison and Howard. I'd love to see what he can do in Denver.

broncos4life88
01-14-2009, 07:37 PM
That tid-bit bout him at Cincy sounds pretty good, in the top 5 nationally against the run and in turnovers. Sounds exactly like what we need. Our run stoppage is at a all-time low right now.

TXBRONC
01-14-2009, 11:06 PM
I don't care who McDaniels hires for his coaching staff as he puts together a quality staff that can get this team working correctly in all three phases of the game.

Bozo Jr.
01-15-2009, 12:02 AM
I don't know much about the guy either, but any improvement will be
a breath of fresh mile high air. Does anyone know where KC ranked
on ST last season?

TXBRONC
01-15-2009, 12:23 AM
I don't know much about the guy either, but any improvement will be
a breath of fresh mile high air. Does anyone know where KC ranked
on ST last season?

I'm glad you asked because I've been wondering the same thing. :salute:

Bozo Jr.
01-15-2009, 12:39 AM
I'm glad you asked because I've been wondering the same thing. :salute:

Well here we go......

Kicking - 32nd Yikes!
Kick Returns - 26th Meh!
Punting - 9th This I can handle.
Punt Returns - 29th Eek!

Not what I would call a step in the right direction. :tsk:

TXBRONC
01-15-2009, 01:22 AM
Well here we go......

Kicking - 32nd Yikes!
Kick Returns - 26th Meh!
Punting - 9th This I can handle.
Punt Returns - 29th Eek!

Not what I would call a step in the right direction. :tsk:

Could have something to do with their personnel.

broncos4life88
01-15-2009, 03:31 PM
Could have something to do with their personnel.

Very true!!! It sounds like he overall has some good credentials.

Broncospsycho77
01-15-2009, 04:00 PM
We sucked at special teams last year. Flat out. Eddie and the mustered what they could, but there just wasn't any cohesiveness to it, like the players out there only saw special teams as the transition of the ball from one team to the other. It should be seen as an opportunity to score and the quickest way to turn the tides of a game... punt blocks, long field goals, punt returns, trapping a punt inside the 10. We never seemed to have the tenacity to do any of that under O'Brien.

broncos4life88
01-15-2009, 04:13 PM
We sucked at special teams last year... like the players out there only saw special teams as the transition of the ball from one team to the other... We never seemed to have the tenacity to do any of that under O'Brien.

LMAO the very most truthful statement I have heard about the Broncos in a long time.