PDA

View Full Version : Help - I need to get info off my computer and other computer questions

OB
01-14-2009, 01:28 PM
I did a desk cleanup, and a disk defrag about a month or so ago. I also removed all programs that I haven't used in at least 4 months.

Here is my system info:

The computer is a Dell Dimension 2350

Processor: x86 Family 15 Model 2 Stepping 4 GenuineIntel 2192 Mhz

BIOS Version date: 3/24/03

Total Physical Memory: 256MB (this is where my problem lies - I could probably get away with adding to this and the computer would work better)
Available Physical Memory: 22.77 MB (I had Outlook and WordPerfect running at the time)

Virtual Memory: 880.24 MB
Available Virtual Memory: 254.59 MB

Page File Space: 625.76 MB

Modem: 56k

C Drive: 27.91 GB
Available: 10.14 GB

Obviously i am having issues with the speed of my computer....my problem is this

My boss is sending over the wife friday to do a disk defrag and such - although ive already told him that i did this and what I think is the problem - (my phys. mem space - :der: ) but anywho he is pissing me off and sending the wife

I need to:

A. Get rid of my cookies, etc - i dont want her to be able to see how much i come here :D or how much time i spend on the interweb

B. I would like to stop some of the things that start up automatically when i turn on my computer

C. Is there any way to put some things of mine that are private in a folder she cant access - like pics etc?

Anyone??????????

Plus I got like 3000 emails to get rid of - all his, but i dont want her to see my laziness :shocked:

topscribe
01-14-2009, 01:31 PM
What operating system do you have? Vista? XP? 2000?

-----

gnomeflinger
01-14-2009, 01:33 PM
On your internet home page, go to "tools/internet options" and there you will be able to delete temp files and cookies. You can also clear the history on your browser.

The auto programs you have to go into each program's tools and unselect that option.

I don't know about passwords for files. You might be able to do that, but I don't know. If you can't, just save all those files on a blank CD and delete them, then reinstall them after she leaves.

NightTrainLayne

-----

Certainly not Vista with that little RAM.

OB

-----

XP..............

OB
01-14-2009, 01:36 PM
On your internet home page, go to "tools/internet options" and there you will be able to delete temp files and cookies. You can also clear the history on your browser.

The auto programs you have to go into each program's tools and unselect that option.

I don't know about passwords for files. You might be able to do that, but I don't know. If you can't, just save all those files on a blank CD and delete them, then reinstall them after she leaves.

Well the internet options - i wasnt sure they took them off the hard drive too....i thought there was a file in the systems folder you could go to -

I will have to put my pics on my flash drive thingy i guess -

God this pisses me off

I hate when he thinks i dont know what im doing or talking about

I know there are only 2 solutions to my problems

Upgrade my RAM or get a new computer - he acts like his wife will be able to come in and perform some modern miracle and get my computer to run faster - HELLLO its five years old - ughhhhh

Thnikkaman
01-14-2009, 01:37 PM
For the internet, Gnomey knows what she is talking about.

For startup items, click Start -> Run
in the field type
msconfig

and hit enter.
There will be a startup tab (should be the last one on the right)
Uncheck everything in there.

Also, on your c: drive, go to documents and settings/all users/start menu/programs/startup

Delete all shortcuts in this folder and reboot.

As far as e-mails that you need to delete, need a little bit more information on that. What program do you use for e-mail?

Thnikkaman
01-14-2009, 01:38 PM
Your computer might also be due for a re-install.

I recommend a new computer first and foremost. A modern processor starts to slow down after 4 years of regular use. I don't know the physics of it that well, I just know that this happens.

OB
01-14-2009, 01:40 PM

in the field type
msconfig

and hit enter.

Also, on your c: drive, go to documents and settings/all users/start menu/programs/startup

As far as e-mails that you need to delete, need a little bit more information on that. What program do you use for e-mail?

Startup - what about McAfee - i want that to start when i start

I use Microsoft Outlook

I know how to delete them it will just be time consuming i did like 1500 already today

So the internet options thing wipes everything off the hard drive too? - there are no traces that she can find?

Cause part of me thinks boss man is trying to do some checking up on me :D

NightTrainLayne
01-14-2009, 01:42 PM

I recommend a new computer first and foremost. A modern processor starts to slow down after 4 years of regular use. I don't know the physics of it that well, I just know that this happens.

Looks like the hard drive is getting pretty packed too.

Upgrade that 'puter OB. I bet a defrag takes all day.

Thnikkaman

I use Microsoft Outlook

I know how to delete them it will just be time consuming i did like 1500 already today

So the internet options thing wipes everything off the hard drive too? - there are no traces that she can find?

Find the mcaffe item in msconfig, and leave it checked. As far as the internet options thing goes, it takes everything off. Don't forget about histories.

If I were you, I would start using firefox or google chrome.

E-mail, you are just going to have to take the time to delete everything.

You may be able to search for everything that has a certain keyword , and then do a Ctrl+a and hit delete to do mass deletions.

OB

It started happening about a year ago - so thats about right - i wish the mf'r would just listen to me

2 weeks ago he was all about me picking out a computer - now all of a sudden he is pulling this crap - me thinks the wife has something to do with this decision - (they are in the process of re-doing their kitchen and i think im gonna pay in the long run :mad: )

BroncoJoe

in the field type
msconfig

and hit enter.

You might want to be a bit more specific here, Thnik...

NightTrainLayne

I use Microsoft Outlook

McAfee eats up a bunch of RAM too. There's some better anti-virus programs out there.

gnomeflinger
Well the internet options - i wasnt sure they took them off the hard drive too....i thought there was a file in the systems folder you could go to -

I will have to put my pics on my flash drive thingy i guess -

God this pisses me off

I hate when he thinks i dont know what im doing or talking about

I know there are only 2 solutions to my problems

Upgrade my RAM or get a new computer - he acts like his wife will be able to come in and perform some modern miracle and get my computer to run faster - HELLLO its five years old - ughhhhh

If she has the magic touch, send her to my house and perhaps my laptop will magically come alive.

topscribe
01-14-2009, 01:43 PM
XP..............

First, you need to upgrade your RAM. 256 is way deficient for XP. Optimal is
at 1GB or more. You will notice a TREMENDOUS difference in speed, once you
do that.

You can delete your cookies through your browser. How you do it depends on
what browser you use:

In Internet Explorer, go through Tools -> Internet Options, and you will see
where you can delete your cookies.

In Firefox, go to Tools -> Options, and select the "Privacy" tab at the top of
the popup box. When in there, you will see a "Clear Now" radio button toward
the bottom.

To eliminate startup programs, go to your Start button at the extreme lower
left of your desktop screen, then select "Run". Type "msconfig" in the box,
and you will see a System Configuration popup. Select the "Startup" tab.
In there, you will see the programs to uncheck to make them stop running.
But BE CAREFUL . . . it is very easy to stop something that SHOULD be
running. If you don't know what you are doing, then the best thing to do in
there is nothing.

Hope that helps.

-----

Thnikkaman
01-14-2009, 01:44 PM
You might want to be a bit more specific here, Thnik...

Unlike 98, there is nothing that is needed to be checked. She can go back and find the antivirus one and re-check it. Or she can manually start mcaffe, and it will re-enable that for her.

gnomeflinger
01-14-2009, 01:45 PM
Email, hit ctrl on the last email, hold it down, and click the top email. It should highlight them all and you'll be able to do a one-click delete. Or if that doesn't work, create an email rules folder, send them all to that folder, then delete the folder.

BroncoJoe
Unlike 98, there is nothing that is needed to be checked. She can go back and find the antivirus one and re-check it. Or she can manually start mcaffe, and it will re-enable that for her.

No shyte? I didn't realize that was the case with XP.

Cool.

Thnikkaman
First, you need to upgrade your RAM. 256 is way deficient for XP. Optimal is
at 1GB or more.

You can delete your cookies through your browser. How you do it depends on
what browser you use:

In Internet Explorer, go through Tools -> Internet Options, and you will see
where you can delete your cookies.

In Firefox, go to Tools -> Options, and select the "Privacy" tab at the top of
the popup box. When in there, you will see a "Clear Now" radio button toward
the bottom.

To eliminate startup programs, go to your Start button at the extreme lower
left of your desktop screen, then select "Run". Type "msconfig" in the box,
and you will see a System Configuration popup. Select the "Startup" tab.
In there, you will see the programs to uncheck to make them stop running.
But BE CAREFUL . . . it is very easy to stop something that SHOULD be
running. If you don't know what you are doing, then the best thing to do in
there is nothing.

Hope that helps.

-----

If she screws something up, we can run her through a system restore. I am confident that I can talk her through any problems that she might have with XP. If she needs to, I will pm her my number and talk her through it.

frauschieze
01-14-2009, 01:49 PM
Email, hit ctrl on the last email, hold it down, and click the top email. It should highlight them all and you'll be able to do a one-click delete. Or if that doesn't work, create an email rules folder, send them all to that folder, then delete the folder.

Brilliance. I used both options when deleting four years worth of personal email history on my work computer when I quit. :D

shank
01-14-2009, 01:49 PM
not sure how to hide your files in a private folder... i'm sure there is a way to password protect a folder or something, but i don't know it.

you could put all your stuff in a folder and then go to the folder's properties and mark it as hidden, then the lady won't be able to see the folder.

when you want it back, go to folder options under the tools menu and you can check the box that says to show hidden folders and then you can see it to uncheck the hide box under the properties.

topscribe
01-14-2009, 01:50 PM
If she screws something up, we can run her through a system restore. I am confident that I can talk her through any problems that she might have with XP. If she needs to, I will pm her my number and talk her through it.

It would be best if she didn't have to use Restore. And there is an outside
chance Restore has been shut off. I am just very reticent to have lay people
do too much by themselves, having run a small computer shop myself.

If you have someone do much more than the very fundamental stuff, it is best
indeed to talk them through it.

-----

frauschieze
01-14-2009, 01:51 PM
not sure how to hide your files in a private folder... i'm sure there is a way to password protect a folder or something, but i don't know it.

you could put all your stuff in a folder and then go to the folder's properties and mark it as hidden, then the lady won't be able to see the folder.

when you want it back, go to folder options under the tools menu and you can check the box that says to show hidden folders and then you can see it to uncheck the hide box under the properties.

I thought admin could see hidden folders. I might be wrong......

Thnikkaman
01-14-2009, 01:53 PM
I don't feel as bad about walking someone through instructions since it was my job for about 3 years. I'm not as confidant with Vista, but I still know enough to be more help than a hindrance.

OB, youshould also tell your boss that he could upgrade the ram in your computer for under $50 at this point.

Tned
01-14-2009, 01:53 PM
Ok, likely a multi-step process.

For pics:
About your only real option is to copy them to a thumb drive (you can get them pretty cheap at wal-mart these days, but make sure you get one big enough).

Alternatively, you could create a folder someplace she is unlikely to look, say c:\program files\Peachtree Accounting\docs\ and then copy your pics in there. If she did a computer search for images, she would still find them, but a casual glance likely wouldn't find them.

Or, you can download software called truecrypt (http://www.truecrypt.org/) and create an encrypted file, which you can mount anytime you want as drive. Nobody will know what's in the file, but if she searched for large files to free up space, she could find it and then delete it and poof goes your pics.

Best bet, copy them to a USB thumb drive.

Startup Programs:
The fastest way to address the startup programs is to click start, then run, and type msconfig and click ok. It will start a program, and go to the "Startup" tab. There, you can uncheck items you don't want to start up when windows starts.

Alternatively, you can go to the options or settings for each individual program and there should be some setting that is something along the lines of "Automatically start when windows starts" and disable that option.

Clearing (and saving) your IE favorites:

Assuming you are using IE, and have saved sites like this in your favorites, then you probably want to export your favorites, before deleting them. To do this in IE, click the file menu, then import/export, then a wizard will appear and click next, then highlight export favorites, then next, give it a location (preferably USB thumb drive) and click next or finish.

Do the same thing for your cookies, by following the steps above and highlighting "export cookies".

Then delete cookies (steps shown in next section) and delete favorites. To delete favorites, click the "Favorites menu" then Organize Favorites, then select folders/favorites and click delete.

Or, if you have a lot, and need a faster deletion, open windows explorer and go to C:\Documents and Settings\{username}\Favorites (replace username with the username you log on the computer with) and then highlight all the favorites/folders you want to delete and then press the delete key.

When you are ready to get your favorites and cookies back, go back to the File, Import/Export wizard and this time choose import favorites and point it to the file (bookmarks.htm) that was created when you exported them prior to deleting, and do the same with cookies.

Cleaning up history and cookies:

You would opent Internet Explorer and click on the tools menu, and then Internet options.

From there, it depends on your version of IE. If it is IE7, then there will be a Delete button and when you click it, it will let you choose what you want to delete. You will want to delete your temporty internet files, history and probably cookies. Might also want to delete your form data (if that is an option), because that will be the auto-complete stuff when you are typing in a search box or other box and it guesses what you are trying to type.

Finally:

Don't forget your recent documents list that shows up in XP and Vista (assuming you are on one of theses).

Open Windows Explorer. Go to (replace urername with what you log on to the computer with):

C:\Documents and Settings\{username}\Recent

Select all files (CTRL+A), press Delete key.

That will cover most of your tracks. Since I haven't actually had to do this, I am going by memory as to what you might want to cover/delete. But, I think that covers most of it.

Good luck.

Thnikkaman
01-14-2009, 01:54 PM
I thought admin could see hidden folders. I might be wrong......

There is a setting the admin needs to turn on to see hidden folders.

OB
01-14-2009, 01:54 PM
McAfee eats up a bunch of RAM too. There's some better anti-virus programs out there.

Its paid for through July - so I will take suggestions for the future but for now its McAfee

Yeah see there in lies the problem - i know about this BUT some emails i have to keep - even though they may be 2/3 years old - cause of the nature of our business - so i really have no choice but to go through them all- right now im picking "senders" and finding all of their emails and deleting in bulk (by using Ctrl + A ) that way - i think thats my quickest route in my situation

I just need to get my ass in gear and do that on a monthly basis

OB
01-14-2009, 01:55 PM
And thanks everyone for all the help - you all rock!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I will have NTL send you all calendars since me n nj didnt get one - he is sure to have a few left over :coffee:

OB
01-14-2009, 01:58 PM
I don't feel as bad about walking someone through instructions since it was my job for about 3 years. I'm not as confidant with Vista, but I still know enough to be more help than a hindrance.

OB, youshould also tell your boss that he could upgrade the ram in your computer for under $50 at this point.

I did tell him - but Im not sure if i can do it or if we need to have someone else do it - although if i have instructions im pretty competent with stuff like that

Also, about 2/3 years ago - i got an install update for windows - the service pack 2.0 or something like that - so i installed it (it was marked critical) well when i did that my computer got all screwed up - my WordPerfect didnt run right, my internet wouldnt connect - so i did a restore back to the prior version and everything has been OK ever since - it prompts me every once in a while to install that update but i dont

Also the last time i tried to restore (forgot why) i couldnt find a restore point that worked - it kept giving my some error message, regardless of which day i chose

shank
01-14-2009, 02:00 PM
all you have to do with ram is stick it in the slot.

dream would need help with that concept...

topscribe
01-14-2009, 02:02 PM
I did tell him - but Im not sure if i can do it or if we need to have someone else do it - although if i have instructions im pretty competent with stuff like that

Also, about 2/3 years ago - i got an install update for windows - the service pack 2.0 or something like that - so i installed it (it was marked critical) well when i did that my computer got all screwed up - my WordPerfect didnt run right, my internet wouldnt connect - so i did a restore back to the prior version and everything has been OK ever since - it prompts me every once in a while to install that update but i dont

Also the last time i tried to restore (forgot why) i couldnt find a restore point that worked - it kept giving my some error message, regardless of which day i chose

Go to http://www.crucial.com . They have a feature there where they can
detect your computer and then show the memory that is compatible with
your computer. Either that, or you can enter the model number to your
computer, and it will do the same thing.

Crucial's memory is reasonably priced, shipping is free, and they have a
sterling reputation in the industry for quality.

-----

NightTrainLayne
01-14-2009, 02:03 PM
And thanks everyone for all the help - you all rock!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I will have NTL send you all calendars since me n nj didnt get one - he is sure to have a few left over :coffee:

Um. .. they already got calendars. . .sorry.

:lol:

OB
01-14-2009, 02:05 PM
Um. .. they already got calendars. . .sorry.

:lol:

I wanna swear at you but im not in the lounge :tsk:

OB
01-14-2009, 02:06 PM
all you have to do with ram is stick it in the slot.

dream would need help with that concept...

Hmm ive had plenty of practice with that - sounds easy enough :D

OB
01-14-2009, 02:07 PM
Go to http://www.crucial.com . They have a feature there where they can
detect your computer and then show the memory that is compatible with
your computer. Either that, or you can enter the model number to your
computer, and it will do the same thing.

Crucial's memory is reasonably priced, shipping is free, and they have a
sterling reputation in the industry for quality.

-----

I will do that - that way when she gets here i will already have a solution to the problem

:eviltongue: @ my boss n wife

deacon
01-14-2009, 02:43 PM
For your email stuff: If you want to save them do this:

Start Outlook Express, click tools then options

On the Maintenance tab click Store Folder

In the Store Location dialogue box copy the store location by highlighting the address and press Cntrl+C.

Click cancel then cancel again to close the window.

Now you need to copy the contents of the store folder:

Click Start, Run, then press Cntrl+V -- then click OK

On the edit menu click Select All.

On the Edit menu click Copy then close the window

Now create a backup folder.

Right click any empty area of your desktop and click New then click Folder

Name the folder whatever you like then double click on it to open it.

Right click inside the folder and click Paste

You can copy this folder to a disk or wherever then delete the emails in outlook express by going to Edit, Select All, and delete. If you only want to delete selected emails you're stuck doing them one at a time.

(I forgot to tell you how to re-install the emails after the wife does her thing on your computer. PM me when you're ready and I can give you instructions.)

You may have spyware and a lot of junk files on your computer that will slow it down. If you don't have a good anti-spyware program go to http://www.superantispyware.com/download.html You can download a trial copy to clean up your HD. To clean up all the junk files go to http://www.ccleaner.com and download that program. CCleaner is short for crap cleaner and will delete all the temp files, history, cookies you don't want. You can select what you want deleted.

OB
01-14-2009, 02:49 PM
OK - Im gonna have to print all of this - you guys really helped me out - i knew i could count on my fellow forumers

gnomeflinger
01-14-2009, 02:50 PM
The icing will be having it all fixed before your boss' wife comes. :laugh:

Tned
01-14-2009, 02:51 PM
The icing will be having it all fixed before your boss' wife comes. :laugh:

I wonder if she's cute?

OB, is she cute? If so, can you take a few pics of the two of you? :D

Thnikkaman
01-14-2009, 03:16 PM
OB. You should completely update the computer. If these steps don't help with getting it running up to snuff, your computer might be compromised from an old exploit. I don't want to scare you, but you need to keep your computer up to date.

OB
01-14-2009, 03:38 PM
I wonder if she's cute?

OB, is she cute? If so, can you take a few pics of the two of you? :D

No - she's not fugly either but i dont think she is cute - but she is way out of my bosses league - so i dont know what happened there :lol:

OB. You should completely update the computer. If these steps don't help with getting it running up to snuff, your computer might be compromised from an old exploit. I don't want to scare you, but you need to keep your computer up to date.

well im hoping for a new one - thats my goal ;) - so i will do some tweaking and hopefully his wife will be like - "she just needs a new computer" :whoknows:

I have to get off these damn board though - i aint gettin nuttin done :tsk::tsk:

Zweems56
01-14-2009, 03:43 PM
OB, here is your memory solution

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820141172

Buy one and pop it in. I'll show you an image of what you need to do to get it out

http://images.tomshardware.com/2007/10/17/parallel_processing/ram-single-channel.jpg

Thats what your memory slots look like. Pop the clips and it should fall right out. Line up the slot on the ram and pop in. It might take some force but if it takes TOO much force, you probably have it the wrong way. Best way to get it in is to start out by fitting one side into the slot and then lining up the other side from there.

A gig should get you running as fast as you can go. If its processor, You're looking at replacing your computer for the most part.

Here's a malware protection and scan site

http://www.malwarebytes.org/

and her'es the best free antivirus you can get

http://www.avast.com/

If you want to shop for ram elsewhere, your'e looking for pc2100, but newegg is a really good place to get comp parts. Otherwise, everyone else told you how to do the stuff you originally asked. But definately check out the startup folder and delete, and do the msconfig in run and check the startup checkboxes. Don't uncheck something unless you KNOW WHAT IT IS.

Here's an example. qttask.exe opens up a quicktime taskbar icon. You can tell what they are for the most part. Make sure when the box comes up after you're done you check it as don't tell me that I changed anythign next time, because if you don't its going to keep bugging you.

If you need any more help, pm me, I'm a comp tech and enthusiast.

Zweems56
01-14-2009, 03:50 PM
Oh, and if you want to create a secure folder, make one and change the icon to white. There should be a plain white icon. Next, when you go to change the name, hold alt and use the number pad to type in 0160. When you save it, the name should be blank. When you look in my documents for example, you wont even be able to see the thing exists

Zweems56
01-14-2009, 03:51 PM
Oh and for the reference, the max amount of memory your motherboard recognizes is a gig, so don't buy two just because you have 2 slots. Its an old comp

OB
01-14-2009, 03:52 PM
Thanks Zweems - I will let you all know by the end of business tomorrow how things went - if you dont here from me - i prolly screwed up royally :lol:

Zweems56
01-14-2009, 03:57 PM
Thanks Zweems - I will let you all know by the end of business tomorrow how things went - if you dont here from me - i prolly screwed up royally :lol:

You should definately try out the invisible folder thing though, its cool as hell.
Don't be too worried about the ram. if you can manage to check your oil, you can manage to pop out your ram. Its two clips on either side, and when you push the new stick in, if you do it right, the clips close on their own when the ram goes in. And make sure you do windows updates when you get it all back up and running. Dont rely on that bullshit automatic updates, go to IE, tools, windows update and get everything the express choice throws at you.

The best solution though is to just take the disks you got with the computer and reinstall windows completely to wipe the thing clean, or to just get a new computer. Let us know how you do. I'll be checking in tonight and tomorrow to see if i can help you out anymore, if you ever run into anythign else, shoot me a pm and i'll do my best.

Tned
01-14-2009, 04:02 PM
You should definately try out the invisible folder thing though, its cool as hell.
Don't be too worried about the ram. if you can manage to check your oil, you can manage to pop out your ram. Its two clips on either side, and when you push the new stick in, if you do it right, the clips close on their own when the ram goes in. And make sure you do windows updates when you get it all back up and running. Dont rely on that bullshit automatic updates, go to IE, tools, windows update and get everything the express choice throws at you.

The best solution though is to just take the disks you got with the computer and reinstall windows completely to wipe the thing clean, or to just get a new computer. Let us know how you do. I'll be checking in tonight and tomorrow to see if i can help you out anymore, if you ever run into anythign else, shoot me a pm and i'll do my best.

Just as long as she remembers to turn off the computer (from the power supply, not front switch, as power continues to ATX motherboards in the 'soft' off state). :D

horsesense
01-14-2009, 04:06 PM
I can solve both your problems with one "ooops I forgot to set the alarm".

Sheesh:rolleyes: For being computer geeks some of you nerds sure are stooopid.;)

Zweems56
01-14-2009, 04:20 PM
Just as long as she remembers to turn off the computer (from the power supply, not front switch, as power continues to ATX motherboards in the 'soft' off state). :D

LMAO! Well played. I guess that would be the equivalent of telling someone to check their oil and since its pure rhetoric to you, you forgot to tell them that the car needs to be off to get an accurate reading.

OB
01-14-2009, 04:45 PM

Geez thanks guys - i prolly would have been zapped into next week :rofl:

Nah - Im a freak when it comes to electricity - i hate being electrified - so to speak - i always unplug anything before i start taking it apart

When i was a kid i grabbed an electric fence - full grasp - cause i was told that it was off - not a fun experience :tsk:

Thnikkaman
01-14-2009, 04:46 PM
Geez thanks guys - i prolly would have been zapped into next week :rofl:

Nah - Im a freak when it comes to electricity - i hate being electrified - so to speak - i always unplug anything before i start taking it apart

When i was a kid i grabbed an electric fence - full grasp - cause i was told that it was off - not a fun experience :tsk:

You would do more damage to the PC than yourself. Those Ram Chips operate on about 1.5 Volts. It takes a lot more than that to get past your skin.

OB
01-14-2009, 04:49 PM
You would do more damage to the PC than yourself. Those Ram Chips operate on about 1.5 Volts. It takes a lot more than that to get past your skin.

I take no chances ;) - I wont even lick a battery :D

FanInAZ
01-15-2009, 02:56 AM
I've had a problem for the last 2 months. Some how a my computer got infected by, virusresponse2009. It keeps causing a bubble to pop-up every 5 minutes or so warning me that my computer is infected with a number of spy-ware applications.

I already googled about it and learned that it is a fraudulent program claiming to be a virus scanner, but do nothing but generate false data. It shows you a list of supposed infections on your computer and then directs you to a site (which is no longer active) were you pay money for their supposed program that is suppose to remove them. The program is a fake.

I have tried to follow the instructions that several "solution" links provided during that google search, but none of them have worked. Any ideas?

OB
01-15-2009, 01:35 PM
OMFG guys - this thing is pissin me off

OK - I went to the system config deal and unchecked only the programs i knew FOR SURE were not part of anything important - like google, realtime crap, my scanner program, adobe

After unchecking all of those i get a message

"An access denied error was returned while attempting to change a service you may need. Log on as Admin to make specific changes"

I am the Admin???

So i restarted the computer and none of those programs start - yeah - BUT WAIT

I get this dialog box

"You have used the Sys Config Utility (SCU) to make changes to the way Windows starts.

The SCU is currently in Diagnotstic or Selective Start Up Mode causing this message to be displayed and the utility to run everytime Windows starts.

Chose the normal setup mode on the General tab To start Windows normally and undo the changes you made using SCU"

Well then I couldnt get online - so I did a System Restore and started from scratch

I didnt do anything after that but tried getting online to get your guys' help

Well it wouldnt let me get online - i was rcvng info but it was sending any out - Firefox would start but would just hang there waiting on www."homepage" to start

Finally after three restarts I am here

What the Hell - i need help

BroncoJoe
01-15-2009, 01:43 PM
You're running XP, right?

OB
01-15-2009, 01:51 PM
You're running XP, right?

Yes -

Im just glad i could get back online - i was freakin

BroncoJoe
01-15-2009, 01:54 PM
Are you still getting the message on start-up?

Thnikkaman
01-15-2009, 01:55 PM
OMFG guys - this thing is pissin me off

OK - I went to the system config deal and unchecked only the programs i knew FOR SURE were not part of anything important - like google, realtime crap, my scanner program, adobe

After unchecking all of those i get a message

"An access denied error was returned while attempting to change a service you may need. Log on as Admin to make specific changes"

I am the Admin???

So i restarted the computer and none of those programs start - yeah - BUT WAIT

I get this dialog box

"You have used the Sys Config Utility (SCU) to make changes to the way Windows starts.

The SCU is currently in Diagnotstic or Selective Start Up Mode causing this message to be displayed and the utility to run everytime Windows starts.

Chose the normal setup mode on the General tab To start Windows normally and undo the changes you made using SCU"

Well then I couldnt get online - so I did a System Restore and started from scratch

I didnt do anything after that but tried getting online to get your guys' help

Well it wouldnt let me get online - i was rcvng info but it was sending any out - Firefox would start but would just hang there waiting on www."homepage" to start

Finally after three restarts I am here

What the Hell - i need help

Sorry, should have warned you about that message. That popps up every time you use msconfig. Check the don't show this at startup box.

OB
01-15-2009, 01:56 PM
Are you still getting the message on start-up?

No cause i did a system restore -

I tried just unchecking like one program - it was a gaming application - i got the same message about being Admin and under the General tab as soon as i make changes to the startup items it goes into Selective Start Up Mode, automatically, then if i check normal - all the startup programs get re-checked :confused:

OB
01-15-2009, 01:57 PM
Sorry, should have warned you about that message. That popps up every time you use msconfig. Check the don't show this at startup box.

Yeah but wont i be running under "Selective Mode" and it seemed to have f'd up my internet connection - does that sound normal?

BroncoJoe
01-15-2009, 02:00 PM
Thnik to the rescue!

OB, why don't you let us know what programs you don't want starting. It might be easier to uninstall them, then reinstall them once you're boss' wife is through.

OB
01-15-2009, 02:13 PM
Thnik to the rescue!

OB, why don't you let us know what programs you don't want starting. It might be easier to uninstall them, then reinstall them once you're boss' wife is through.

Im not gonna reinstall anything but my games - which i can do - so thats not an issue - i just know that with all the start up programs she will comment about them like i didnt know thats a reason my comp takes so long to start :rolleyes:

What they dont seem to get is that my only REAL problem is lack of RAM - which i have explained over n over n over but they must think im clueless - i can do all the deleting and cleaning and defragging in the world - its not gonna change the fact that i dont have enough RAM to run my programs

Im just trying to eliminate BS that she might bring up as "reasons" my comp is running slow - IMO she doesnt know all that much cause i sent her the info i put in my first post and dont see how she cant immediately see that my lack of RAM is the major problem

BroncoJoe
01-15-2009, 02:35 PM
Here's what I would do. Go to www.ccleaner.com and download the application. After the install, you can run the program, which lets you alter the startup programs, without receiving the windows popup window. It also lets you clean up your registry and clear all internet "junk".

Try that out...

OB
01-15-2009, 02:46 PM
Here's what I would do. Go to www.ccleaner.com and download the application. After the install, you can run the program, which lets you alter the startup programs, without receiving the windows popup window. It also lets you clean up your registry and clear all internet "junk".

Try that out...

Thanks joe - sorry for the delay but internet stopped working again - i dont know if its coincidence or not that im having internet problems and im screwing with the comp :confused:

BroncoJoe
01-15-2009, 02:52 PM
Just be careful when dis-selecting the startup programs. Unlike msconfig, it will list EVERY program, including those that windows needs to run. Don't stop a program unless you know 100% for sure that is doesn't have to do with the operating system.

BroncoJoe
01-15-2009, 02:53 PM
Also, if you run the registry cleaner, it will give you the option to back it up. Make sure you do this just in case...

Thnikkaman
01-15-2009, 03:03 PM
Yeah but wont i be running under "Selective Mode" and it seemed to have f'd up my internet connection - does that sound normal?

That doesn't. Honestly, to get as much speed back to your computer, and to minimize the time and headaches its going to take to fix it, I would do a format/reload of windows.

Do you have backups of everything you need?

FanInAZ
01-15-2009, 03:49 PM
You computer guys were off line last night when I first posted this. I am reposting it because I could definatly use your help.

I've had a problem for the last 2 months. Some how a my computer got infected by, virusresponse2009. It keeps causing a bubble to pop-up every 5 minutes or so warning me that my computer is infected with a number of spy-ware applications.

I already googled about it and learned that it is a fraudulent program claiming to be a virus scanner, but do nothing but generate false data. It shows you a list of supposed infections on your computer and then directs you to a site (which is no longer active) were you pay money for their supposed program that is suppose to remove them. The program is a fake.

I have tried to follow the instructions that several "solution" links provided during that google search, but none of them have worked. Any ideas?

BroncoJoe
01-15-2009, 03:58 PM
You computer guys were off line last night when I first posted this. I am reposting it because I could definatly use your help.

I haven't heard of that virus/spyware, but did you try this?

You are looking to remove this software from your machine and so I would not recommend adding more software to remove software. The software you have accidentally downloaded is formed of distinct components.

The Virus scanner (C:\program files\vir*)

The Internet Explorer Add-on (C:\program files\application\iebt.dll and the "internet services" toolbar)

The Pop-up applications (C:\program files\application\iebt.exe & (C:\program files\application\iebdt.exe)

Registry entries HKLocalMachine\software\ (Which result in items in the add/remove programs section of the control panel which try and force your PC to restart rather than uninstall)

All of these components must be removed at the same time so they cannot re-add the other components.

1. Close the Scanner application and delete c:\program files\vir* folder. The folder is not called vir* but virlib or something similar - it has a few varieties so delete the folder that starts with vir that contains the scanner and hold down [SHIFT] key as you do it so it doesn't go into the recycle bin.

2. Start task manager (Ctrl+Alt+Del) and right click on any processes that resemble iebt.exe and choose 'end process tree' which are the processes that make the pop-up appear bottom right. Then delete the c:\programs\application folder.

3. Go to the Control Panel and double click Internet Options and go along the top to Programs. Click on the button that says manage add-ons. Highlight the add-on iebt.dll and then down below move the blob into the disabled position. Also find Internet Services in the list and disable this also.

4. Go to Control Panel and make a note of the names of the new programs that have appeared such as IEBrowse and Internet Explore. Make a note of these names exactly as they appear. Open the registry editor (Start=>run and type regedit and click OK or start=>all programs=>accessories=>run and type regedit and click OK if youre on Vista.)

!BEWARE! Editing the registry is dangerous and can render you system un-bootable or even unrecoverable!! ReadAllAboutIT or sircles.net take no responsibility for what may happen even if you follow these instructions correctly!

Browse to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE > Software > and find the entries with the names you noted (or just do a search for them.) Delete these entries from the registry.

5. Go to start=>run=> and type msconfig. Go to 'startup' at the top and remove anything to do with 'Virus Scanning' or 'Antivirus' that you have not purchased.

Now restart your PC.

If all goes well you will not have the scanner restart, you will not go to the http://startedwebsite.com/security/xp or http://startedwebsite.com/security/vista (DO NOT CLICK ANY OF THESE LINKS TO DANGEROUS WEBSITES) webpage when you open Internet Explorer and you will not receive a pop-up from the Notification Bar about having viruses.

topscribe
01-15-2009, 04:01 PM
Wow, after OB follows all the advice in this thread, her Dell will go down into the Computer Hall of Fame!! :D

-----

FanInAZ
01-15-2009, 04:10 PM
Thanks BroncoJoe.

I will have to print out all of those instructions work on it off line. I might also have someone work with me on them to make sure I get them right. I wait a little bit to see if anybody else might have some additional insite.

BroncoJoe
01-15-2009, 04:41 PM
One more place you might want to look at, AZ is this link:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic173158.html

OB
01-16-2009, 12:00 PM
Woot :woot: im gettin a new computer - hells yeah

im glad i cleaned her up though cause all data is being transferred but wifey aint comin in

At least i dont have to worry about the start up deal anymore

deacon
01-16-2009, 03:24 PM
Woot :woot: im gettin a new computer - hells yeah

im glad i cleaned her up though cause all data is being transferred but wifey aint comin in

At least i dont have to worry about the start up deal anymore

Good news OB! Make sure you get a good anti-virus program and also at least 2 different anti-spam programs. A lot of the anti-virus programs have anti-spam on them also but you still need another one because not all of them clean up everything.

Kaspersky makes a dynamite anti-virus program. It's my favorite. Thier internet security is about the best around.

OB
01-19-2009, 02:12 PM
Its got an 8gb of RAM _ it rocks - only thing is i didnt get a new monitor but oh well - the only thing they didnt do was backup my old outlook data - only the 2nd most important thing on my computer :ohwell: I will have to take the old one back so they can transfer the data to a CD

They also didnt put on WordPerfect - he wants me to use Word - blah - I guess i will learn to like it

I alos have to get a USB cable for my printer cause my old one used a parallel port and the new compter doesnt even have a parallel port - shows you how far behind i was :lol:

Its all good in the hood though - im psyched - it also has Windows Vista - which i havent heard anything good

Anyone have any advice for a new vista user?

Oh and they put Webroot Internet Secuirty on there - anyone ever hear of this

Should I reinstall my McAfee - like i said its paid through July

deacon
01-19-2009, 02:29 PM
Its got an 8gb of RAM _ it rocks - only thing is i didnt get a new monitor but oh well - the only thing they didnt do was backup my old outlook data - only the 2nd most important thing on my computer :ohwell: I will have to take the old one back so they can transfer the data to a CD

They also didnt put on WordPerfect - he wants me to use Word - blah - I guess i will learn to like it

I alos have to get a USB cable for my printer cause my old one used a parallel port and the new compter doesnt even have a parallel port - shows you how far behind i was :lol:

Its all good in the hood though - im psyched - it also has Windows Vista - which i havent heard anything good

Anyone have any advice for a new vista user?

Oh and they put Webroot Internet Secuirty on there - anyone ever hear of this

Should I reinstall my McAfee - like i said its paid through July

I don't know anything about Webroot I.S. but you don't want to have 2 Antivirus programs running at the same time. It can cause your computer to do some weird stuff!

If I were you I'd google "best antivirus programs" and see which one is better then stick with that one.