PDA

View Full Version : Eddie Royal football IQ

Skacorica
11-18-2011, 04:47 PM
At the game yesterday, unlike my previous outings, I made a concerted effort to focus on our wide receivers away from the ball and the major takeaway I had has to do with Eddie Royal.

Don't get me wrong, I think he is a great returner, or at least exciting, and he has the ability to make some good catches, but I feel like his football IQ is pretty terrible.

He consistently runs routes that are shy of where they should be. He had one I think it was last week where he caught a 3 yard pass on third and 4, and this week he caught another pass, one yard short of the first down. Aside from that, on two of the pass plays to decker, one on third down, he again ran a route that was 1-2 yards short of the first down. There were a couple of other things too; I watched him run a curl pattern that a 10 year old could have jumped, and another time he looked back over the wrong shoulder.

Is it his being inured and coming back late? Am I just being too critical of him? Anyone else at the game notice any of this?

Northman
11-18-2011, 04:52 PM
Honestly, too critical.

If we are too assume that Tebow himself is just getting into gameshape with his passing than so must be for the receiving core. Right now the chemistry is way off with Tebow and the receivers. Its just that evident to me. I think this is a huge reason why Decker had the fall start later in the game last night because of the previous overthrow by Tebow. A lot of people dont like Royal and thats ok, he has dropped some easy passes the last couple of years but at the same time he has been moved around a lot the last 3 years and having to adjust to different QB's. His first year he had ZERO problems running routes and i think a lot of that had to do with Cutler and him having good chemistry. Orton, is inaccurate, so is Tebow right now so really it isnt just Royal who is struggling with receiving as its all of them.

catfish
11-18-2011, 04:55 PM
Honestly, too critical.

If we are too assume that Tebow himself is just getting into gameshape with his passing than so must be for the receiving core. Right now the chemistry is way off with Tebow and the receivers. Its just that evident to me. I think this is a huge reason why Decker had the fall start later in the game last night because of the previous overthrow by Tebow. A lot of people dont like Royal and thats ok, he has dropped some easy passes the last couple of years but at the same time he has been moved around a lot the last 3 years and having to adjust to different QB's. His first year he had ZERO problems running routes and i think a lot of that had to do with Cutler and him having good chemistry. Orton, is inaccurate, so is Tebow right now so really it isnt just Royal who is struggling with receiving as its all of them.

I agree, the whole offense is still developing chemistry....it will come with time

Skacorica
11-18-2011, 05:04 PM
I hope so, and the be fair, TTs passes are obviously harder to catch (just ask Decker) and he hasn't had much time to get in the swing. I actually like ER quite a bit, I just was diappointed a bit in his play, especially away from the ball.

On a side note, despite his not being much of a playmaker factor, DT is a freaking solid blocker for a WR.

BeefStew25
11-18-2011, 05:07 PM
Eddie saved us a safety. But he also fair caught it at the 5 I think. I don't know.

Northman
11-18-2011, 05:07 PM
I actually dont blame Eddie for catching that punt at the 5. There was a defender right behind him to down it at the one so he saved us at least 4 yds.

catfish
11-18-2011, 05:17 PM
I hope so, and the be fair, TTs passes are obviously harder to catch (just ask Decker) and he hasn't had much time to get in the swing. I actually like ER quite a bit, I just was diappointed a bit in his play, especially away from the ball.

On a side note, despite his not being much of a playmaker factor, DT is a freaking solid blocker for a WR.

If they are going to use the option regularly blocking WR's are a must. You can't run this offense with primadonnas. I have my fair share of HE SHOULD HAVE CAUGHT THAT! moments, but what it boils down to is a young offense figuring each other out

CoachChaz
11-18-2011, 05:21 PM
I dont think cutting off routes has anything to do with chemistry. If the play calls for a 5 yard curl and you need 6 yards...you take the extra yard.

catfish
11-18-2011, 05:27 PM
didn't he break off his route to get open for that TD vs the raiders?

Northman
11-18-2011, 05:37 PM
I dont think cutting off routes has anything to do with chemistry. If the play calls for a 5 yard curl and you need 6 yards...you take the extra yard.

Yea, but ive seen some of the best receivers make mistakes like that even now. Anyone remembering Reggie Wayne going the wrong way in the Super Bowl which lead to a INT TD for the Saints. It happens.

slim
11-18-2011, 05:38 PM
Eddie is very overrated by Bronco fans.

I like him, but he is nothing special on the field.

Northman
11-18-2011, 05:39 PM
Eddie is very overrated by Bronco fans.

I like him, but he is nothing special on the field.

Yes, we know. Every player is overrated by Bronco fans.

sneakers
11-18-2011, 05:41 PM
Northman needs more sideboob in his siggy.

getlynched47
11-18-2011, 05:42 PM
Yes, we know. Every player is overrated by Bronco fans.

Yeah, Slim. You big dumb biatch :welcome: