PDA

View Full Version : Under Pressure: Tebow's Throws

Denver Native (Carol)
11-18-2011, 04:43 PM
I never heard of this person who wrote this article, maybe some have - what does everyone think about it?

It's not fair to say that Tim Tebow is a quarterback unlike any other. There were plenty of quarterbacks like Tebow, they just haven’t played in pro football since the 1940s.

Back in 1947, quarterback Spec Sanders, a New York Yankee in the All-American Football Conference, rushed for 1,432 yards while leading the league in rushing attempts and rushing yards. He also threw for 1,442 yards. Unfortunately for him, the Cleveland Browns held him in check in the championship game for their second of four consecutive AAFC titles.

The single wing offense that Sanders ran didn’t last for much longer, as the T formation quickly ensured that it turned into a high school offense. Marv Levy and the Chiefs brought back the Wing-T in 1978, out of desperation more than anything else, but generally NFL teams have left the run-heavy approaches in the days of black-and-white film.

rest of article - http://www.footballoutsiders.com/under-pressure/2011/under-pressure-tebows-throws

SM19
11-18-2011, 05:32 PM
I don't know much about the writer specifically, but FO is one of the best places on the Internet for intelligent and objective sports analysis, stripped of all the meaningless cliches and magical thinking that make the vast majority of sports commentary awful.

As for the article itself, I don't see anything that should be terribly controversial. The Denver offense has consistently evolved over the past few weeks as Fox continues looking for ways to hide Tebow's weaknesses and amplify his strengths. His approach has kept us in close games late, and when it's late in a close game, anything can happen. I think there's a limit to how far this approach can take us, and I think that limit is lower than a lot of people suspect, but it's served us reasonably well so far.