PDA

View Full Version : No GM

gnomeflinger
01-13-2009, 10:00 PM
There is going to be no GM for the Broncos. No new position, less money on the bottom line. Is this to increase the salary cap for possible drafts?

UnderArmour
01-13-2009, 10:03 PM
There is going to be no GM for the Broncos. No new position, less money on the bottom line. Is this to increase the salary cap for possible drafts?

GMs and Coaches don't count against the salary cap, only players. Has nothing to do with that.

Rick
01-13-2009, 10:04 PM
We have a 3 headed GM that should hold the fort just fine.

SR
01-13-2009, 10:05 PM
Bowlen probably can't afford a high profile GM because he's still paying Shanny $7mil/yr for the next three years to do nothing for our team.

Tned
01-13-2009, 10:07 PM
They don't effect the salary cap, but they do effect Bowlen's bottom line. Since he is on the hook for Shanahan's contract, plus all the fired coaches (until they get new jobs), plus the new coach's salaries.

So, it is possible that all of that money he is on the hook for came into play when considerng going after a GM.

gnomeflinger
01-13-2009, 10:11 PM
Ah, okay. I'm still green with football. I do know that in business, it's always cheaper to train someone on the payroll vs. hiring a new person.

SmilinAssasSin27
01-13-2009, 10:18 PM
At least KC just got arguably the best GM in football.

slim
01-13-2009, 10:19 PM

Shut up.

topscribe
01-13-2009, 10:20 PM

Judging from the last three drafts, I think Jim Goodman will do just fine . . .

-----

Denver Native (Carol)
01-13-2009, 10:27 PM

-----

I agree, and for whatever reason Bowlen is not going to hire a GM, most likely because he still will be paying Mike, I think he told us that from the beginning, without really saying it, when he stated that he would hire a head coach first. And, he may be totally happy with Goodman's ability.

Bozo Jr.
01-13-2009, 10:28 PM

-----

You got that right, I'll take those drafts year after year, regardless of what his official "title" is. If last years class is any indication of what Goodman can do, they can call him General Janitor for all I care, (GJ, lol). He knows what he's doing, and I cant wait to see who he brings in with 10 picks!

topscribe
01-13-2009, 10:32 PM
I agree, and for whatever reason Bowlen is not going to hire a GM, most likely because he still will be paying Mike, I think he told us that from the beginning, without really saying it, when he stated that he would hire a head coach first. And, he may be totally happy with Goodman's ability.

You got that right, I'll take those drafts year after year, regardless of what his official "title" is. If last years class is any indication of what Goodman can do, they can call him General Janitor for all I care, (GJ, lol). He knows what he's doing, and I cant wait to see who he brings in with 10 picks!

I have little doubt that finances helped to discourage Bowlen from shopping
for a GM, but I also believe that it would not have stopped him, were it not
for Goodman's presence on staff . . .

-----

TXBRONC
01-13-2009, 10:38 PM

Yep as long he and his staff can keep doing what they did with last year's draft Denver will be just fine.

dogfish
01-14-2009, 12:02 AM

i bet goodman could kick his ass! we'll see if he can catch lightning in a bottle twice, because if brady doesn't turn into the player he has, pioli is just another good GM, not the wunderkind. . .

omac
01-14-2009, 12:15 AM

-----

I agree with you, but I'm just not sold on their ability to gauge defensive players. The 2007 wasn't starting to look too good, and it looked like Harris was a wasted pick, until he showed what he could do this season.

topscribe
01-14-2009, 12:25 AM
I agree with you, but I'm just not sold on their ability to gauge defensive players. The 2007 wasn't starting to look too good, and it looked like Harris was a wasted pick, until he showed what he could do this season.

Thomas is starting, and Moss had a severe staff infection. I don't know about
Crowder, but Goodman hinted at his being hurt this year. Nonetheless, that
makes 2007 a decent year . . . not a great year, but a decent one. And the
other two years, which most teams would kill for, include Larsen, J. Williams,
Barrett, Dumervil, and Powell . . . and don't forget Woodyard. And Hixon
turned out to be a gem . . . just not our gem because of a gaff in trying to
move him to the PS, not in selecting him.

So, all in all, I am encouraged by the defensive judgment of the FO. It's just
that they have devoted most of their first day selections to offense is all.

-----

Requiem / The Dagda
01-14-2009, 12:50 AM
If we switch to a 3-4, those players mentioned pretty much become non-existent because they are not quality fits.

Lonestar
01-14-2009, 01:14 AM

not so sure that was not just Jim Bates getting his way withe the DL types We all know that mikey would have NEVER taken 75% of his draft on the DL..

The scouts can only lead the coaches to water then it is the coaches decision on who to take.. the more I see of this Bates fiasco the more I think Pat suggested/forced Mikey to hire him..

Superchop 7
01-14-2009, 01:18 AM
Pretty obvious that Pat wants more of a say in personnel decisions.

Lonestar
01-14-2009, 01:21 AM
Pretty obvious that Pat wants more of a say in personnel decisions.

no shit sherlock, he just had the last word yesterday..

Shazam!
01-14-2009, 01:25 AM
If Dumervil isn't converted to a LB, he may be a casualty.

Lonestar
01-14-2009, 01:36 AM
If Dumervil isn't converted to a LB, he may be a casualty.

maybe midget.........

gobroncsnv
01-14-2009, 08:00 AM
Well, as long as Goodman can do for D what he did for O. We don't yet know what Powell is capable of for DT.... Thomas? Yet to be seen, but if we're going 3-4, I don't see him as a NG-type. Maybe he is a 3-4 DE type??? Same for Crowder and Moss, they didn't do much in the 4-3, but will the change do them some good.
But we do have a lot of front 7 and safety work to be done with this club. We'll see what Goodman can bring to the table for a rebuild, because we're beyond "tweaking" now. Gonna really be looking forward to watching this off-season unfold.

Fan in Exile
01-14-2009, 08:20 AM
Now we really get to see how good the Goodmans are. There are no excuses now it's win or go home.

Dirk
01-14-2009, 08:46 AM

I am not all that impressed with Pizza-oli. Sure he has done a fine job, but remember he got A LOT of input from Belicheat. So, we shall see what he does out on his own.

Also, Pizza-oli has an ace up his sleave in being the son-in-law of Bill Parcells. So, who knows if this guy is actually worth his salt or not. I think it is all in his connections.

KC IMO has a lot of fine young talent and as I said before, they were just a play or two from being able to gain that confidence and stride to win games. They will be a ton better next year if they leave Herm there. If they get rid of Herm, another sorry season is ahead.

broncofaninfla
01-14-2009, 08:48 AM
We are in good hands with Goodman. This draft is rich in 3/4 talent and Goodman is te right man to pick from that talent and build Denver a defense that won't be a liability for us. Next year our defense will be improved, the year after we will dominate.

Rick
01-14-2009, 08:51 AM
I wouldn't be surprised to see them dump Edwards and bring in Spags.

TXBRONC
01-14-2009, 12:10 PM
i bet goodman could kick his ass! we'll see if he can catch lightning in a bottle twice, because if brady doesn't turn into the player he has, pioli is just another good GM, not the wunderkind. . .

Exactly, if Thigpen is just a flash in pan and Pioli can't find a starting quarterback his time in K.C. might not be so great.

Watchthemiddle
01-14-2009, 01:15 PM
WOW, Pat's already cutting corners.

dogfish
01-14-2009, 01:54 PM

what, did we cut dre bly? fine with me. . . .

TXBRONC
01-14-2009, 02:30 PM

How so? Because he thinks Goodman, and his son and Xanders (I think that's his name) are more than capable of handling the job therefore he's cutting corners? In my opinion one does not equal the other.

G_Money
01-14-2009, 03:00 PM
Goodman looks like he’s found more players in the last 3 years than we did in the previous 7.

I was terrified we were gonna lose him. I have no problem with him being promoted to “GM that is not called GM.”

FWIW, Pioli was never called the GM in NE either. It happens. I’m more concerned with results than titles.

To that end, I’m curious how we’ll do in free agency. We’ve recently sucked horrible donkey ass at it, even while we were cleaning up our act in the draft.

It’d sure be nice to get both phases of player acquisition working well – we definitely need the influx of talent on defense, and it’d be hard to get it all from the draft.

~G

TXBRONC
01-14-2009, 03:11 PM
Goodman looks like he’s found more players in the last 3 years than we did in the previous 7.

I was terrified we were gonna lose him. I have no problem with him being promoted to “GM that is not called GM.”

FWIW, Pioli was never called the GM in NE either. It happens. I’m more concerned with results than titles.

To that end, I’m curious how we’ll do in free agency. We’ve recently sucked horrible donkey ass at it, even while we were cleaning up our act in the draft.

It’d sure be nice to get both phases of player acquisition working well – we definitely need the influx of talent on defense, and it’d be hard to get it all from the draft.

~G

A GM by any other name is still a GM. :D

Tned
01-14-2009, 03:38 PM
A GM by any other name is still a GM. :D

Unless it's Saturn, and then it's just Saturn.

broncofaninfla
01-14-2009, 03:42 PM

:lol:

KCL
01-14-2009, 03:42 PM

You're so witty Tned....:rolleyes: ;)

KCL
01-14-2009, 03:46 PM
Exactly, if Thigpen is just a flash in pan and Pioli can't find a starting quarterback his time in K.C. might not be so great.

It's hard telling at this time if Thigpen will be our starter...As of right now I would say he should be.He did well considering he was (is) a 3rd stringer and he was thrown into the starting position.Something I doubt him or anyone else thought would happen.

I say the Chiefs get rid of Croyle and unload LJ if they can.

TXBRONC
01-14-2009, 03:56 PM

Touche T. :lol:

TXBRONC
01-14-2009, 03:57 PM
It's hard telling at this time if Thigpen will be our starter...As of right now I would say he should be.He did well considering he was (is) a 3rd stringer and he was thrown into the starting position.Something I doubt him or anyone else thought would happen.

I say the Chiefs get rid of Croyle and unload LJ if they can.

At the very least he deserves a long look during training camp this year.