View Full Version : Post reports Goodman has final say over personnel

dogfish
01-13-2009, 02:37 PM
Jim Goodman serves as GM
Same two aides remain to evaluate talent
By Mike Klis
The Denver Post
Posted: 01/13/2009 12:30:00 AM MST

Not long ago, Jim Goodman was a good ol' boy from the South, scouting football players in the area he knew best: the South.

Goodman could spend hours at a college practice, hook up with scouts over dinner to talk about the talent they just saw, chat about the weather and swap funny stories.

Comfortable on the back roads of the Southeastern Conference, Goodman just sort of "aw-shucked" his way up the Broncos' front-office chain until he essentially has become the Broncos' new general manager.

"Don't use that term," Goodman said. "I don't know what the big hangup is with that term."

Sorry, Jim. But when a personnel man has final say in the meetings, it doesn't matter which creative title a sports organization chooses, the sports world knows that man as a general manager.

And it was clear Monday, during the introductory news conference of head coach Josh McDaniels, that Goodman will have final say. The idea is to collaborate. But occasionally there are disagreements on a particular player.

"Hopefully there's not many of those, but Jim would make the call if there's an issue in terms of personnel," McDaniels said.

Jim Goodman is flanked in the Broncos' front office by two assistant general managers: Brian Xanders, who will primarily lead contract negotiations and assist in player evaluation, and Jeff Goodman, who at 30 has become the Josh McDaniels of player evaluation.

Broncos owner Pat Bowlen said he would not be bringing in anyone else to head the Broncos' front-office triumvirate.

"I think we have all the talent we need in that area," Bowlen said.

Goodman's first challenge will be monstrous: Revamp the Broncos' defensive personnel to make the transition from the 4-3 set the Broncos have used the past 25-plus years to the 3-4 system preferred by McDaniels and new defensive coordinator Mike Nolan.

"We'll just have to see the players that are out there to fit a scheme," Goodman said.

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_11439117

i love it! whether he has the formal position or not, he's the guy i wanted for the job. . . . keep up the good work jim!

TXBRONC
01-13-2009, 02:45 PM
I don't why he would be sensitive to being called a GM in actuality that is what he is. I don't care what his title as long as he can bring in quality talent.

DenBronx
01-13-2009, 02:49 PM
I don't why he would be sensitive to being called a GM in actuality that is what he is. I don't care what his title as long as he can bring in quality talent.

i think he is just trying to be a little humble about it.

Nature Boy
01-13-2009, 02:55 PM
Maybe because Goodman isn't making GM money so he doesn't want the title. I have no clue what his salary is but I'm sure it's not as much as a real full time GM.

I'm just glad a 32 yr old kid isn't making the final decision on personnel of such an illustrious NFL franchise.

underrated29
01-13-2009, 03:02 PM
why would age matter? I dont see that it does one bit.

TXBRONC
01-13-2009, 03:11 PM
Maybe because Goodman isn't making GM money so he doesn't want the title. I have no clue what his salary is but I'm sure it's not as much as a real full time GM.

I'm just glad a 32 yr old kid isn't making the final decision on personnel of such an illustrious NFL franchise.

NB that makes no sense. If you haven't a clue what Goodman is making how can you be sure he isn't making the same kind of money a GM would make? My guess is that with new responsibilities he probably got a raise.

CoachChaz
01-13-2009, 03:29 PM
I can assure you that if Goodman has the reputation of having a great eye for talent and is ONLY working with Denver...he's getting a nice paycheck from Mr. Bowlen

TXBRONC
01-13-2009, 03:35 PM
I can assure you that if Goodman has the reputation of having a great eye for talent and is ONLY working with Denver...he's getting a nice paycheck from Mr. Bowlen

I would think so.

Nature Boy
01-13-2009, 03:39 PM
NB that makes no sense. If you haven't a clue what Goodman is making how can you be sure he isn't making the same kind of money a GM would make? My guess is that with new responsibilities he probably got a raise.

Just a haunch but because the previous real GM just walked out the door and Goodman does not carry the official GM title, at least not yet, I'm assuming that he's making way less than the bottom 50% of the GMs in the NFL.

Yes, I'm just guessing but what do I know, I'm just a genius. :welcome: :cool:

:salute:

TXBRONC
01-13-2009, 03:48 PM
Just a haunch but because the previous real GM just walked out the door and Goodman does not carry the official GM title, at least not yet, I'm assuming that he's making way less than the bottom 50% of the GMs in the NFL.

Yes, I'm just guessing but what do I know, I'm just a genius. :welcome: :cool:

:salute:

The previous GM was fired he didn't walkout.

If you're a genius Jr is Mike Shanahan. :coffee:

broncofaninfla
01-13-2009, 03:54 PM
Maybe.....THIS ONE (job) IS FOR JOHN :D
sorry bad joke.....

I am stoked Goodman is playing the role of a GM. I have a lot of faith in his team and really think we are in good hands with him havingthe final say.

Nature Boy
01-13-2009, 03:57 PM

Thanks for the info and astute observation. I didn't know that.

:coffee:

If you watched the press conference on the firing. You'll see on the 2 man's faces just who got the short end of the stick.

Pat Bowlen will be kicking himself this same time next year.

TXBRONC
01-13-2009, 03:59 PM
Maybe.....THIS ONE (job) IS FOR JOHN :D
sorry bad joke.....

I am stoked Goodman is playing the role of a GM. I have a lot of faith in his team and really think we are in good hands with him havingthe final say.

I thought it was funny. :lol:

The fact that Bowlen didn't go out and hire someone to specifically be the GM doesn't bother me because like you I think Goodman will do well.

Nomad
01-13-2009, 04:09 PM
It's official Pioli hired by KC! Goodman has some competition in the division!

broncofaninfla
01-13-2009, 04:11 PM
It's official Pioli hired by KC! Goodman has some competition in the division!

Herm Edwards is gone then. Wouldn't mind having him as the DB's coach

underrated29
01-13-2009, 04:12 PM
urgh. Up yours KC- you are not supposed to make good descisions. The basement with the faid is where you are supposed to be.

Smart choice though.

Lonestar
01-13-2009, 07:40 PM

Bite your tongue.. on both counts.. this could be considered calling out a mod in public..:laugh::laugh::laugh: