PDA

View Full Version : Eagles-Cardinals NFC Championship Preview

CoachChaz
01-13-2009, 12:01 PM
The NFC Championship. Two teams with a combined 18 wins. At the beginning of the season no one would have guessed this would happen. Even as recently as last week, most epected to see a repeat of the Ginats and Panthers. Instead, we will be entertained with a repeat of the Eagles and Cardinals.

As with every Cinderella story, the Cardinals appear to have NFL fans and certainly the media in their corner. The perennial loser lead by the grizzled veteran. Unfortunately, I dont know that anyone will care after this weekend. The media keeps telling us to forget about the Thanksgiving game, but why should we? Aside from that game being played in Philly, not alot has changed. Unless, of course, you want to consider that the Cards had both Fitgerald AND Boldin for that game...a luxury that looks unlikely for this weekends match-up.

The Eagles forced the Cardinals to abandon what minimal running game they have and throw the ball. Not that Warner and the Cards have a problem with that as evidenced by having three 1000 yard receivers, but the pressure Philly put on Warner forced three interceptions as well.

Arizona's dead last 32nd ranked running game will again be abandoned against Philly's #4 rush defense. We know Arizona will be forced to throw the ball and it's inevitable that they will have some success. however, the fabled Jim Johnson blitz sceme and the lack of Anquin Boldin will eventually catch up with the Cards on that end.

On the flip side, the modest Arizona defense will be forced to corral Brian Westbrook who ran on them for over 100 yards and 2 TD's in November...and Donovan McNabb who tossed 4 TD's in the same game.

There is hope and speculation and all kinds of twists added to this scenario by the media and NFL fans, but at the end of the day we all know that Arizona really doesnt belong here. I dont care if they are playing in Minnesota, New York or Arizona...Philly is on a roll and the Cards are just one more obstacle on their way to the Super Bowl.

Philadelphia - 42....Arizona - 21

turftoad
01-13-2009, 12:24 PM
I don't know. The AZ defense has been showing up in the playoffs and playing well. There is no doubt that Philly's "D" is better but AZ offense is better.
AZ plays at home in a warm weather game which suits their offense. They will be able to throw the ball.
AZ defense did force Carolina into 6 turnovers. So..... it depends on which AZ defense shows up for this game as thier offense can out score Philly's.
If, and I say if, AZ can win this game they go to Tampa, another warm climate game, they just might be enjoying the promise land.

Broncolingus
01-13-2009, 12:45 PM
Logic says Eagles will win...

...but personally I really hope the Cards win - everything.

Oh, and on the side, I'll continue to pick against Cards in every Pick-em League I can --- which means, of course, they'll continue to win.

Go Cards!

Nomad
01-13-2009, 01:10 PM
The Eagles are riding on momentum just as much as the Cardinals are. I believe the Eagles bring a more lethal defense than the Panthers and the Cardinals better bring their 'A++' game on all three aspects of the game (O, D, ST). As you said, Cardinals aren't supposed to be here and the Eagles aren't either. I believe the Eagles will come in with more intensity treat Warner like a rag doll!!

CoachChaz
01-13-2009, 01:47 PM
Being from Philly, I'll admit to being a bit bias. But, how many times does a Cinderella story have to fade away before accomplishing anything before we begin to realize it's just not going to happen.

Philly doesnt have a great record either, but it's obvious they are a much better team than the record indicates. Arizona has simply taken advantage of some untimely turnovers by their opponents. Does that mean their defense is playing great? not necessarily...but I guarantee you they will be worrying abotu turnovers themselves this weekend. The Philly defense is MUCH better than Carolina and Atlanta and Asante Samuel is a much better cover man than anything the other two had to offer.

Medford Bronco
01-13-2009, 01:59 PM
Agreed on your story Coach.

I dont think AZ has a chance. I have no ill feelings for them but if you
dont play good defense, not saying that that played bad last week but I think
it was more of a result of Jake Dellomes complete suckage than them playing good D.

I like Philly in a closer game, say 31 to 27ish.

AZ will show up but overall Philly is a better more well rounded team IMO

horsesense
01-13-2009, 03:03 PM
I figure Edgerrin James to be a factor this time around. He didnt so much as touch the ball in the first game. I also like that Az has home turf. I didnt give Az a chance against Carolina. (see my slim and none comment). Theyre even more confident since. I see a close game 27-24 Az.

Poet
01-13-2009, 03:09 PM
If the score is that lopsided then I would be a bit surprised. I do expect Philly to make Warner fumble more than once.

What has always kept the Cardinals alive is that once again their opposition does not have a CB of any real worth.

CoachChaz
01-13-2009, 04:45 PM
I figure Edgerrin James to be a factor this time around. He didnt so much as touch the ball in the first game. I also like that Az has home turf. I didnt give Az a chance against Carolina. (see my slim and none comment). Theyre even more confident since. I see a close game 27-24 Az.

What is it that makes you think the worst rushing team in the NFL is suddenly going to "be a factor" against a top 5 run defense? Just curious

...and I don't think home turf will be a big deal. Philly just went into a raucous dome and the Meadowlands and came away with 2 convincing road wins. Somehow I dont think playing in Arizona will bother tham too much.

CoachChaz
01-13-2009, 04:46 PM
If the score is that lopsided then I would be a bit surprised. I do expect Philly to make Warner fumble more than once.

What has always kept the Cardinals alive is that once again their opposition does not have a CB of any real worth.

Do you mean once again as in this week? I have to think Asante Samuel and Sheldon Brown are more than capable of holding their own. At least ALOT more than the duos in ATL and CAR were. Then you subtract Boldin.

horsesense
01-13-2009, 05:06 PM
...and I don't think home turf will be a big deal. Philly just went into a raucous dome and the Meadowlands and came away with 2 convincing road wins. Somehow I dont think playing in Arizona will bother tham too much.

I was referring to the turf (grass) more than I was the crowd. Az has a new turf that plays a little faster than some of the other sods you see around the league. The running game has been more a factor the last 3 games with Hightower and James sharing the load.

bengaaaaals1688
01-14-2009, 12:00 AM
Do you mean once again as in this week? I have to think Asante Samuel and Sheldon Brown are more than capable of holding their own. At least ALOT more than the duos in ATL and CAR were. Then you subtract Boldin.

I still don't understand why Sheppard isn't the starter... He is the best CB on that roster, IMO.

CrazyHorse
01-14-2009, 12:41 AM
This is Philadelphia's year.
Philadelphia over Pittsburgh in the Super Bowl.

FanInAZ
01-14-2009, 12:41 AM
Logic says Eagles will win...

...but personally I really hope the Cards win - everything.

Oh, and on the side, I'll continue to pick against Cards in every Pick-em League I can --- which means, of course, they'll continue to win.

Go Cards!

:confused: There is nothing logical about what the Cards have done in the play-offs. They had lost to 4 of the 5 play-off teams that they played in the regular season. The one win came in week 2 against a Miami team the was struggling out of the gate, but got it together to make their own improvable play-off appearance. Logic would suggest that such a team would be one and done in the play-offs. Logic suggest that the Eagles, who killed the Cards on Thanksgiving, should do the same this Sunday. Never-the-less, what does logic have to do with anything. :confused:

No think for sure, this is as close to a legitimate shot at the Superbowl that they are going to have for a while. Forget about the regular season meatings that the Cards had with the Eagles and Giants. If the Cards would have gone to NY and had to play in the snow, they would have lost. Warm weather teams, especially the Cards, do not win in the snow. The only reason why they have a chance of going to the SB is because the game is being played here.

For the record, I'm still picking against the Cards. They just have to start living down to everybody's expections sooner or later. :D

Poet
01-14-2009, 12:48 AM

Samuel is a player that has a big name because of his INTs. He is from the same mold that Cromartie from SD. People love CBs with INTs, it's the easiest way for people to find out who is good. Sameul never had coverage skills that were elite, and at this point Fitzgerald is looking like he can't be stopped.

So while I have the Cardinals losing, the fact remains that the Cardinals are facing a blitz happy defense that has overrated flashy CBs. If the blitz doesn't get there it's going to be hard for the Eagles.

CoachChaz
01-14-2009, 08:22 AM
Samuel is a player that has a big name because of his INTs. He is from the same mold that Cromartie from SD. People love CBs with INTs, it's the easiest way for people to find out who is good. Sameul never had coverage skills that were elite, and at this point Fitzgerald is looking like he can't be stopped.

So while I have the Cardinals losing, the fact remains that the Cardinals are facing a blitz happy defense that has overrated flashy CBs. If the blitz doesn't get there it's going to be hard for the Eagles.

I have to disagree. That's like saying Bailey is a stud because he had big interception numbers. Oddly enough his big season for numbers was the same year as Samuel's. Asante only had 4 this year, but his benefit comes from the fact that he plays in a VERY good secondary. Other teams cant really throw away from him regularly because Sheldon Brown is very capable on the other side and Quintin Mickell and Brian Dawkins are Pro-Bowl caliber safeties.

Poet
01-14-2009, 09:36 AM
I have to disagree. That's like saying Bailey is a stud because he had big interception numbers. Oddly enough his big season for numbers was the same year as Samuel's. Asante only had 4 this year, but his benefit comes from the fact that he plays in a VERY good secondary. Other teams cant really throw away from him regularly because Sheldon Brown is very capable on the other side and Quintin Mickell and Brian Dawkins are Pro-Bowl caliber safeties.

Bailey is a stud first and foremost because he can cover damn near any WR and blank him. It was never his INTs that made him truly HOF great, those were just the plays that got him time on ESPN and thus widely known.

Samuel is a good coverman. Fitzgerald is playing like a great WR. I see the same thing in this game that I did when the Cardinals played ATL and Carolina. A nice defensive steam with a good pass rush and a suspect secondary that is overrated.

I'm not saying he's bad, or that he isn't good, but you really need a great CB to cover Fitz. If you have to double him then the rest of the Arizona team benefits greatly. Breaston isn't great but he did get 1k yards. I haven't heard that Boldin is out, I don't know if this is updated yet but:http://www.nfl.com/injuries

I think the Eagles win, but the Cardinals will definitely be there with them.

CoachChaz
01-14-2009, 09:58 AM
Bailey is a stud first and foremost because he can cover damn near any WR and blank him. It was never his INTs that made him truly HOF great, those were just the plays that got him time on ESPN and thus widely known.

Samuel is a good coverman. Fitzgerald is playing like a great WR. I see the same thing in this game that I did when the Cardinals played ATL and Carolina. A nice defensive steam with a good pass rush and a suspect secondary that is overrated.

I'm not saying he's bad, or that he isn't good, but you really need a great CB to cover Fitz. If you have to double him then the rest of the Arizona team benefits greatly. Breaston isn't great but he did get 1k yards. I haven't heard that Boldin is out, I don't know if this is updated yet but:http://www.nfl.com/injuries

I think the Eagles win, but the Cardinals will definitely be there with them.

I dont know that I'd call their secondary overrated. Sheldon Brown has been playing very well for a few years, Samuel has been a stud for a few and Dawkins has been doing it forever. Mickell stepped up this year and probably played better than any of them.

If Boldin does play, his groin/hamstring/whatever will limit his production. braston could be a weapon, I guess, but it always seemed to me that alot of his yards came as a benefit of defenses trying to double-team TWO stud WR's in Fitz and AB

bengaaaaals1688
01-14-2009, 12:10 PM
I dont know that I'd call their secondary overrated. Sheldon Brown has been playing very well for a few years, Samuel has been a stud for a few and Dawkins has been doing it forever. Mickell stepped up this year and probably played better than any of them.

If Boldin does play, his groin/hamstring/whatever will limit his production. braston could be a weapon, I guess, but it always seemed to me that alot of his yards came as a benefit of defenses trying to double-team TWO stud WR's in Fitz and AB

Lito Sheppard, people. He is the best CB on that team, with Brown running second (regardless of the starters on that team). Samuel is a starter because Sheppard doesn't want to be there, and they paid Samuel too much not to start him.

Poet
01-14-2009, 12:56 PM

I know that I would. They just don't impress me. They are hard smash mouth guys, but they aren't great coverage guys. Samuel was always overrated. He got so much hype for being a flashy CB on a flashy huge point team.

Boldin will still have to be accounted for, and when you look at what he has done even if you do limit it he can still be a big deal. Fitzgerald has inevitablility. Before the game ends he is going to do something insane and you can't stop it.

Eagles win, but it won't be a blowout unless Warner just starts dropping the ball all crazy like.

CoachChaz
01-14-2009, 01:13 PM
Wow. I appreciate your assessment...just never heard the Eagles secondary called overrated before.

Poet
01-14-2009, 01:23 PM
Wow. I appreciate your assessment...just never heard the Eagles secondary called overrated before.

If they shut down the Cardinals and cover the hell out of their offensive players I will be here to admit that I was wrong.

:salute:

CoachChaz
01-14-2009, 01:32 PM
If they shut down the Cardinals and cover the hell out of their offensive players I will be here to admit that I was wrong.

:salute:

"Shutting down" the Cardinals passing game is something no one has really been able to do. That's a rather lofty standard you are holding them to.

Poet
01-14-2009, 01:35 PM
"Shutting down" the Cardinals passing game is something no one has really been able to do. That's a rather lofty standard you are holding them to.

Other teams have been able to do it. I don't think stopping a team's primary function of winning is lofty.

CoachChaz
01-14-2009, 02:19 PM
So what's the definition of "shutting them down"? Hold Warner to under 300 yards? 250? 200? Maybe intercept him 2 or 3 times?

I mean if he throws for 260 and 2 TD's but gets picked off 3 times and sacked 4 times, is that enough to determine he was "shut down"?

Only twice this season was Warner held under 200 yards passing and in both of those games, the running game was able to eclipse the century mark. If he's forced to throw the ball 40-45 times in this game, he'll undoubtedly rack up a few yards,s o the definition of being "shut down" is completely vague

Poet
01-14-2009, 02:35 PM
So what's the definition of "shutting them down"? Hold Warner to under 300 yards? 250? 200? Maybe intercept him 2 or 3 times?

I mean if he throws for 260 and 2 TD's but gets picked off 3 times and sacked 4 times, is that enough to determine he was "shut down"?

Only twice this season was Warner held under 200 yards passing and in both of those games, the running game was able to eclipse the century mark. If he's forced to throw the ball 40-45 times in this game, he'll undoubtedly rack up a few yards,s o the definition of being "shut down" is completely vague

If you are a CB and the WR you cover gets more than 80 yards you most likely failed miserably. Sure, if your in the prevent and the man catches a 20 yard pass or so that's one thing.

What I am saying is that the Eagles DBs benefit greatly from their pass rush. If teams had more time to throw on them they would do far worse. Obviously that's true, but even when you factor in that all secondaries would be worse it's still true.

They benefit from their pass rush the same way an average RB benefits from a really good line. You really think that their secondary is that good at coverage? Sameuls has always been overrated, the rest of their secondary is older and slower for the most part. They are not that good. I remember watching them play Cincinnati and having a hard time covering a banged up bengals WR corp. I remember watching the second Giants Eagles game and I kept seeing the Giants guys get open. I'm sorry, their good but I still think you overrate them.

Medford Bronco
01-14-2009, 03:19 PM

I think they are good Coach. We all have differing views.

but we all know that the secondary is only as good as the front 7 and right now the Eagles Front 7 is playing very well.

It should be a fun game to watch. I cant wait.

I envision an Eagles vs Ravens Super Bowl.

CoachChaz
01-14-2009, 04:58 PM
If you are a CB and the WR you cover gets more than 80 yards you most likely failed miserably. Sure, if your in the prevent and the man catches a 20 yard pass or so that's one thing.

What I am saying is that the Eagles DBs benefit greatly from their pass rush. If teams had more time to throw on them they would do far worse. Obviously that's true, but even when you factor in that all secondaries would be worse it's still true.

They benefit from their pass rush the same way an average RB benefits from a really good line. You really think that their secondary is that good at coverage? Sameuls has always been overrated, the rest of their secondary is older and slower for the most part. They are not that good. I remember watching them play Cincinnati and having a hard time covering a banged up bengals WR corp. I remember watching the second Giants Eagles game and I kept seeing the Giants guys get open. I'm sorry, their good but I still think you overrate them.

I guess the same can be said for any secondary. Without a pass rush...even the best DB's can get torched.

As far as the Eagles secondary being old...I dont think any of them are over 30 with the exception of Dawkins and there is no denying his abilities out there.

We can just agree to disagree, I suppose

Poet
01-14-2009, 05:00 PM
I guess the same can be said for any secondary. Without a pass rush...even the best DB's can get torched.

As far as the Eagles secondary being old...I dont think any of them are over 30 with the exception of Dawkins and there is no denying his abilities out there.

We can just agree to disagree, I suppose

I don't think it is fair to say that though. Yes, every DB who plays on a good pass rush team will benefit. What I am saying is that I feel and have always felt that their secondary has always been a weak part of their team. The pass rush covers up that deficiency

BroncoAV06
01-15-2009, 08:22 PM
Oh the Cards. Not having Boldin sure did not hurt them agianst the Panthers, yes Philly is a better defense but Arizona knows how to play without Boldin. As for the Eagles I don't see them blowing Arizona out of the water unless like mentioned above Warner just goes into the tank.

Its just really hard to judge this team (ARI), because again everyone thinks they are going to get rolled. James has been better but not to the extent that OMG the Cards have a huge threat now! I must say Arizona's defense has really surprised me this post season and in my mind Philly does not have anything that they can't handle. Westbrook has been quite all post season outside of that screen play against the Vikings and he is dealing with a high ankle sprain so most likely will be quite again this weekend.

I see the Eagles D making one or two more plays and McNabb somehow does enough with his WR to get past his second NFC Championship game with a 27-17 victory.

Poet
01-18-2009, 04:45 PM
cough.

cough.

broncogirl7
01-18-2009, 05:02 PM
Cardinals looking good, too bad Warner couldn't hit his target on that one.

horsesense
01-18-2009, 06:24 PM
excellent game!!
Who had AZ. in the SB 4 months ago?

broncogirl7
01-18-2009, 06:24 PM
Awesome game. Well-done Cardinals!

atwater27
01-18-2009, 06:34 PM
excellent game!!
Who had AZ. in the SB 4 months ago?

What were the odds?

Poet
01-18-2009, 06:36 PM
What were the odds?

The same odds that the old Rams had after Trent Green went down...astronomically slim.

Damn the NFL really is the best league and football really is the best sport known to man.

atwater27
01-18-2009, 06:40 PM
The same odds that the old Rams had after Trent Green went down...astronomically slim.

Damn the NFL really is the best league and football really is the best sport known to man.

**** Yeah! I love this league! And I love you!

KCL
01-18-2009, 06:47 PM
Yeah AZ Cards......:beer:

Poet
01-18-2009, 06:50 PM
**** Yeah! I love this league! And I love you!

I love you too Atwater. I love everyone.

atwater27
01-18-2009, 08:38 PM
I love you too Atwater. I love everyone.

Well that makes you a whore.
but that's ok. God bless ya.