PDA

View Full Version : Deep Frying Turkeys: A public service

Thnikkaman
11-17-2011, 05:11 PM
In honor of Thanksgiving, I am posting this information provided by my Food Hero (and future write in POTUS (he'll take over Canada and Mexico)) Aloton Brown.

Be safe, and good eating:

KEPH2Zsi0Jc
CZE51ynJkLk

MileHighCrew
11-17-2011, 05:14 PM
i'm going to try it

BigDaddyBronco
11-17-2011, 05:15 PM
His recipe for a brined, baked turkey is awesome. We make it eavery year.

slim
11-17-2011, 05:17 PM
His recipe for a brined, baked turkey is awesome. We make it eavery year.

You don't bake a turkey, you roast it.

Freaking hillbillies :tsk:

BigDaddyBronco
11-17-2011, 05:17 PM
You don't bake a turkey, you roast it.

Freaking hillbillies :tsk:

Oh yea...... must be this pot I'm smoking.

slim
11-17-2011, 05:18 PM
Oh yea...... must be this pot I'm smoking.

Alton taught me how to brine a turkey too.

I love him for it.

BigDaddyBronco
11-17-2011, 05:19 PM
Alton taught me how to brine a turkey too.

I love him for it.

Thanksgiving is at slim's house.....

Dreadnought
11-17-2011, 05:46 PM
If Alton Brown says something is good, or should be cooked thus and so, that ends all debate. He is the mightiest of TV food gurus. We have his lesson on preparing a wholebeef tenderloin permanently saved for future reference, and Mrs. Dreadnought has made magic using his teaching.

Chef Zambini
12-17-2011, 11:46 AM
I have posted procedure for a full turkey dinner over at the freak.
happy holidays everyone.

AlWilsonizKING
03-01-2012, 11:52 PM
My dad has been deep frying turkey's for years, since I was a kid. Some years he does multipul at one time. I'm always waiting for "the accident" when he's doing the mass fry. None yet. Every Turkey Day we have one baked and one deep fried mmmmmmmmm love it. He learned he technique from Justin Wilson, the old Cajun Cook. Reading this thread made me crave some really bad. I often tell my dad he needs to open a deep fried turkey shack :D I know I'd be there.

PEACE!!!

WTE
03-02-2012, 07:41 AM
I have a frozen turkey thawing in the fridge right now. Should be ready for roasting by Sunday. Several years ago my wife bought me a nice hard anondized aluminum roasting pan for Xmas.

That's right, the wife buys the husband cookware as a present. She also used my dept. store credit card to pay for it. I got the bill a month later.

Chef Zambini
03-02-2012, 11:36 AM
thanksgiving menu and methodology, zambini style.
Wednesday, bone out turkeys, breast halves, and four piece dark meaT, USE BONES FOR STOCK.
TRUSS BREASTS
brine breaSTS OVERNIGHT.
BRINE: cup of sugar, cup of salt 2 bottles of beer.
bring to a boil, then ICE.
combine with enuff cold water to submerse trussed turkey breasts.

prepare roasting pan with carrots, celery, onion, oranges and apples, all diced, all oiled and seasoned with rosemary and tarragon.
roast all veggies at 425 for 10 minutes, place turkey pieces on top , then roast or hot smoke for 45 minutes.
braise dark meat pieces in roasted veggies and stock, for 30 additional minutes.
Pull breasts at 140 internal temp.

STUFFING:
USE 3 BREAD TYPES, HERB LOAF, MARBLE RYE, SOURDOUGH.
cut and cube to stand at room temp overnight.
fine dice carrot, cerery, onion, garlic, sautee.
add medium dice apples, pears, (both skinned)
craisins,pecans and chopped black olives. mix in large bowl with dried bread (croutons).
add STOCK and mix to a mashed potato consistency.
spread into a greased pyrex / glass pan, , bake at 450 for half hour, roasted, moist, mixture, turn and redistribute as needed.

CRANBERRIES:
1 Lb bag of cranberries, one cup sugar, one cup sweet white wine.
combine.
flavoir with, favorite liquor, (grandmarinier)
nutmeg
cinnamon
all spice
maple syrup
bring to slow boil over low heat, covered.
let stand refregerated overnight.

Mushroom gravy:
dice assorted mushrooms, sautee in garlic, onion and a splash of stock, reduce and set aside.
roux thickened stock, add mushrooms, simmer.

WTE
03-02-2012, 11:40 AM
Sounds like a ton of work Chef. No thanks.

Here's my recipe for turkey. Place on roasting pan. Add salt pepper sage, rosemarie

Cook.

Eat.

FanInAZ
03-02-2012, 01:20 PM
Sounds like a ton of work Chef. No thanks.

Here's my recipe for turkey. Place on roasting pan. Add salt pepper sage, rosemarie

Cook.

Eat.

I have a simpler method yet...

Go to Mom's

Eat.

Chef Zambini
03-03-2012, 11:05 AM
god bless moms.

Chef Zambini
03-03-2012, 11:08 AM
fast way to defrost a turkey:
leave inside packaging. put in dishwasher.
(all by itself)
run your dishwasher.
turkey is thawed at end of standard cycle, much faster than thawing 3-4 days in the fridge, taking up all that space !

Chef Zambini
03-03-2012, 11:16 AM
WTE, ten minutes to prepare the veggies,
leave the turkey whole and bpass the butchering and the brine, but I promise you the addition of fruits and veggies during the roasting process is well worth it when it comes to FLAVOR !
whole turkey:
hot oven 450
start breasdt side UP !
brown for 10-15 minutes, get a nice brown color on a well oiled, seasoned skin.
turn the tirkey over, BREAST SIDE DOWN,
lower the oven to 350 and finish the turkeybreast side down.
the juices will flow to the bottom, basting the breast for you !
pull the turkey when the breast reqaches 140 degrees !
remove and let stand for 10 minutes. the turkey will continue to cook because of its mass.
seperate the legs and thighs from the breast, THEY will need additional cooking !
puit them back in your pan, cover with liquid and finish the dark meat with all those wonderful juices, BRAISING your dark meat !
it will be awesome and well worth the extra time and few extra steps!
you noe have an awesome stock for a fantastic gravy too !

WTE
03-03-2012, 11:53 AM
WTE, ten minutes to prepare the veggies,
leave the turkey whole and bpass the butchering and the brine, but I promise you the addition of fruits and veggies during the roasting process is well worth it when it comes to FLAVOR !
whole turkey:
hot oven 450
start breasdt side UP !
brown for 10-15 minutes, get a nice brown color on a well oiled, seasoned skin.
turn the tirkey over, BREAST SIDE DOWN,
lower the oven to 350 and finish the turkeybreast side down.
the juices will flow to the bottom, basting the breast for you !
pull the turkey when the breast reqaches 140 degrees !
remove and let stand for 10 minutes. the turkey will continue to cook because of its mass.
seperate the legs and thighs from the breast, THEY will need additional cooking !
puit them back in your pan, cover with liquid and finish the dark meat with all those wonderful juices, BRAISING your dark meat !
it will be awesome and well worth the extra time and few extra steps!
you noe have an awesome stock for a fantastic gravy too !

I might just try this Chef. Turkey scheduled for 2moro.

Thnikkaman
03-03-2012, 12:22 PM
fast way to defrost a turkey:
leave inside packaging. put in dishwasher.
(all by itself)
run your dishwasher.
turkey is thawed at end of standard cycle, much faster than thawing 3-4 days in the fridge, taking up all that space !

5 gallon bucket, cold water, in the bathtub

Chef Zambini
03-03-2012, 12:40 PM
5 gallon bucket, cold water, in the bathtubtoo high a risk of bacteria growth with the turkey at danger temp of 40-100 degrees! the dishwasher generates 160- 180 degree temp, the frozen turkey moderates that temp keep ing the temperature below the danger region of bacteria growth in the interior, whiule the hot temp kills any surface bacteria.

Chef Zambini
03-03-2012, 12:44 PM
I might just try this Chef. Turkey scheduled for 2moro.best wishes for you and your turkey' have a great meal !

Thnikkaman
03-03-2012, 12:49 PM
too high a risk of bacteria growth with the turkey at danger temp of 100 degrees! the dishwasher generates 160- 180 degree temp, the frozen turkey moderates that temp keep ing the temperature below the danger region of bacteria growth in the interior, whiule the hot temp kills any surface bacteria.

That's why you keep the eye on the water temperature with a digital thermometer and change out the water every 30 minutes.

Chef Zambini
03-04-2012, 02:54 AM
That's why you keep the eye on the water temperature with a digital thermometer and change out the water every 30 minutes.something you should have posted from the start !
you dont want to get any fellow bronco fans sick, do you?
especially on a holiday.

Jsteve01
03-04-2012, 05:03 AM
Yummy we cook several per year. I will be investing in the oil free charbroil Turkey fryer soon

Chef Zambini
03-29-2012, 08:54 AM
turkey for easter anyone?

Thnikkaman
03-29-2012, 09:33 AM
turkey for easter anyone?

Sounds good, however I may end up smoking a pork shoulder instead.

BigDaddyBronco
03-29-2012, 11:29 AM
I might smoke a ham or maybe a pork shoulder. Pulled pork is good every holiday. :D

NightTrainLayne
03-29-2012, 12:57 PM
Turkey, Pork, Ham?

Whatever happened to Lamb on Easter?

PatriotsGuy
03-29-2012, 01:28 PM
Turkey, Pork, Ham?

That's what we're having

BigDaddyBronco
03-29-2012, 01:41 PM
Turkey, Pork, Ham?

I could go over to the res and get mutton stew.

FanInAZ
03-29-2012, 02:00 PM
I prefer pork over any other kind of meat.

Thnikkaman
03-29-2012, 07:49 PM
Turkey, Pork, Ham?

meh.

Chef Zambini
03-30-2012, 09:19 AM
spring lamb and easter, the 2 just came together. Now lamb is raised and fed exclusively for its intended by-product
wool
lanolin
meat.
The new zealanders were the first to make this distinction, faILING at the wool market competing with the Ausies, so they changed the feed format for their sheep and the result was more subtle tasting meat over the wool lamb conterparts.
Spring lamb, meant YOUNG lamb, milder flavor because the lanolin in their fat layers had not yet developed.
Now all lamb meat producers utilkize feed that reduces the lanolin / fat layers.
Lamb, yummy!
I bone out a leg of lamb, and stuff it with a pork tenderloin, wrapped in spinach and fill the remainder of the cavity with a forcemeat made from the lamb and pork trimmings.
It is my "specialty"

Thnikkaman
03-30-2012, 09:25 AM
spring lamb and easter, the 2 just came together. Now lamb is raised and fed exclusively for its intended by-product
wool
lanolin
meat.
The new zealanders were the first to make this distinction, faILING at the wool market competing with the Ausies, so they changed the feed format for their sheep and the result was more subtle tasting meat over the wool lamb conterparts.
Spring lamb, meant YOUNG lamb, milder flavor because the lanolin in their fat layers had not yet developed.
Now all lamb meat producers utilkize feed that reduces the lanolin / fat layers.
Lamb, yummy!
I bone out a leg of lamb, and stuff it with a pork tenderloin, wrapped in spinach and fill the remainder of the cavity with a forcemeat made from the lamb and pork trimmings.
It is my "specialty"

Lambporken? Do you wrap it with bacon?

Chef Zambini
03-30-2012, 09:46 AM
no, no bacon.
My force meat is seasoned with minced garlic, dijon mustard, fresh tarragon and rosemary, the pork tender is rich and luxurius with its own fat content, "really no need for bacon", and thats a phrase you will rarely hear from me. The pork tender basted the stuffed lamb roast from the inside, along with the fat from the trimmings used ofrh the forcemeat/ stuffing.
the spinach just gives a defined line between the pork tender / stuffing/ lamb when you slice it! looks very cool, and the earthy taste of the spinach blends well with my chosen spices and meats.
damn it, now you have me thinking about BACON !
if I was to use it, I would render it down, crispy, chop it up to add to the forcemeat, and use the fat to brown my lamb before roasting it in the oven.
Guess I am having some bacon for breakfast now... thanks.

Thnikkaman
03-30-2012, 09:55 AM
no, no bacon.
My force meat is seasoned with minced garlic, dijon mustard, fresh tarragon and rosemary, the pork tender is rich and luxurius with its own fat content, "really no need for bacon", and thats a phrase you will rarely hear from me. The pork tender basted the stuffed lamb roast from the inside, along with the fat from the trimmings used ofrh the forcemeat/ stuffing.
the spinach just gives a defined line between the pork tender / stuffing/ lamb when you slice it! looks very cool, and the earthy taste of the spinach blends well with my chosen spices and meats.
damn it, now you have me thinking about BACON !
if I was to use it, I would render it down, crispy, chop it up to add to the forcemeat, and use the fat to brown my lamb before roasting it in the oven.
Guess I am having some bacon for breakfast now... thanks.

I'd agree that it doesn't need bacon. Maybe serve that roast with a wilted spinach salad drizzled with a bacon based dressing?

Here's the recipe that my wife and I like:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/spinach-salad-with-warm-bacon-dressing-recipe/index.html

NightTrainLayne
03-30-2012, 10:03 AM
wool
lanolin
meat.
Lamb, yummy!
It is my "specialty"

Yep. That's how you do it. Can't be beat, but it's some work.

Chef Zambini
03-31-2012, 01:24 PM
to bone-out a leg of lamb is a total pain in the ass. once done you have to split, patchwork and reconfigure the muscles if you then plan to stuff it !
trussing the sqiuishy mess is yet another exercise in culinary futility.
I havent made this dish since my mom passed away, she was the only one worthy of the effort.
now, if i bone out a lwg of lamb, I just season it and grill it, the stuffing aspect I no longer justify.

NightTrainLayne
03-31-2012, 10:35 PM
to bone-out a leg of lamb is a total pain in the ass. once done you have to split, patchwork and reconfigure the muscles if you then plan to stuff it !
trussing the sqiuishy mess is yet another exercise in culinary futility.
I havent made this dish since my mom passed away, she was the only one worthy of the effort.
now, if i bone out a lwg of lamb, I just season it and grill it, the stuffing aspect I no longer justify.

Growing up, we had a butcher who would bone it out for us.

Thnikkaman
04-01-2012, 10:03 PM
Growing up, we had a butcher who would bone it out for us.

Must be nice.

NightTrainLayne
04-01-2012, 10:45 PM
Must be nice.

Yes. I wish I knew of a butcher here that could provide such a service.

Thnikkaman
04-02-2012, 08:29 AM
Yes. I wish I knew of a butcher here that could provide such a service.

I think I know of one here in Iowa, but I'm not big on lamb.

Chef Zambini
04-03-2012, 01:33 PM
iowa is cattle country.
Colorado Lamb is at the top of the commercial red meat food chaIN.
COLORADO LAMB finds its way on to many high end restaurants across north america.
when was the last time you had lamb/
the taste is much milder, thanks to the feed change.
try a simple marinade of your favorite italian dressing and grilling.

Thnikkaman
04-03-2012, 02:12 PM
iowa is cattle country.
Colorado Lamb is at the top of the commercial red meat food chaIN.
COLORADO LAMB finds its way on to many high end restaurants across north america.
when was the last time you had lamb/
the taste is much milder, thanks to the feed change.
try a simple marinade of your favorite italian dressing and grilling.

I won't turn down lamb if offered to me, but I'm not going to buy it unless my wife really wants it.

Besides, I've been on a Duck kick lately.

Chef Zambini
04-04-2012, 09:04 AM
I love duck.
confit for the leg and thigh. (stewed in its own juices)
and for the breast, remove the skin, leave just a 'landing strip of the fat layer across the back of the breast and pan roast.
SAVE THE TRIMMED DUCK FAT for cooking, it is absolutly fabulous. and make duck skin chitlins with the skin.
the method of pan roasting the breast with just the strip of fat across the top to baste it, I learned from Michael de Maria, a gold medal winner in the Culinary Olympics! Not some better crocker bake-off or a TV show face-off!
the culinary olympics are held every 4 years, just like the athletic olympics and teams from each countries BEST vie for the gold.
The location, munich germany remains the same.
Only twice has the American team taken home team gold, De maria was on one of those teams !
he won individul honors as well, and ironicly, his team captain turned down one of MDM's salt dough presentations of an american bald eagle, saying it was "too gaudy"
so a canadian colleague of his entered it, sying, "just to see how it scores' and his EAGLE won gold for the Canadians !
De Maria is the best chef I have ever worked with, including my 20 chef instructors at the CIA !

Thnikkaman
04-04-2012, 10:18 AM
I love duck.
confit for the leg and thigh. (stewed in its own juices)
and for the breast, remove the skin, leave just a 'landing strip of the fat layer across the back of the breast and pan roast.
SAVE THE TRIMMED DUCK FAT for cooking, it is absolutly fabulous. and make duck skin chitlins with the skin.
the method of pan roasting the breast with just the strip of fat across the top to baste it, I learned from Michael de Maria, a gold medal winner in the Culinary Olympics! Not some better crocker bake-off or a TV show face-off!
the culinary olympics are held every 4 years, just like the athletic olympics and teams from each countries BEST vie for the gold.
The location, munich germany remains the same.
Only twice has the American team taken home team gold, De maria was on one of those teams !
he won individul honors as well, and ironicly, his team captain turned down one of MDM's salt dough presentations of an american bald eagle, saying it was "too gaudy"
so a canadian colleague of his entered it, sying, "just to see how it scores' and his EAGLE won gold for the Canadians !
De Maria is the best chef I have ever worked with, including my 20 chef instructors at the CIA !

I have only ever had duck breast, and it was cooked that way. So good.