PDA

View Full Version : To the team,

Superchop 7
11-16-2011, 02:59 PM
Tomorrow is military appreciation day,

and how will the Broncos .....as a team....(representing our community) respond?

Well, aside from the norm.....l think they should stand behind Decker....

and when we score the player should take a knee and salute the troops.

NFL be damned.

There is right and there is wrong.

Decker was right.

slim
11-16-2011, 03:00 PM
Support the troops and give a big eff you to the NFL suits at the same time.

I like it.

Buff
11-16-2011, 03:02 PM
huh?

Superchop 7
11-16-2011, 09:25 PM
I prefer the message to the NFL is this....your in "Bronco Country"....and some of our best people serve this nation.

And we will honor them.

Our way.

Dapper Dan
11-16-2011, 09:47 PM
Can someone explain the Decker thing to me a little better? I saw that there was a penalty after the TD but I thought it was for throwing the ball.

rationalfan
11-16-2011, 10:28 PM
Someone tell me why we need more military appreciation days/games/etc. seems like I'm hearing about one every two weeks.

Superchop 7
11-16-2011, 10:28 PM
Excerpt from "Banking on Baghdad" by Edwin Black

Then Hughes did something that had never been done in Iraq in 6,000 years. He decided, “It made no sense to hurt people just to talk to a guy. I wasn’t going to do it. It was obviously a misunderstanding. So I just defused the confused.”

Suddenly, Hughes called out to his men, “Take a knee, everybody take a knee.” He continued, “I have taught my men, ‘I will always tell you the why in every order— so when I don’t have time— you’ll trust me.’” Hughes had no time. In a split second, the seething mob could erupt. “My men were nervous and some of them looked at me,” recalled Hughes. “But I held my weapon upside down, so they all took a knee.” Taking a knee is the traditional resting position or low profile for an infantryman on patrol. With little pause, all of No Slack dropped to one knee as ordered.

Members of the suspicious crowd abruptly did likewise, suddenly squatting and sitting, legs folded, on the ground. What next? Hughes then issued a tactical order his men had never heard. “Smile. Everybody smile. Relax, everybody smile!” His men did not speak Arabic. The Iraqis by and large spoke no English. So dozens of heavily armed warriors began communicating by smiling. Now others in the jammed intersection were smiling as well.

“Point your weapons down,” shouted Hughes. His men on bended knee, smiling hard, now pointed their weapons at the dirt.

In response, the crowd became slightly calmer. Hughes noticed that the Ba’athist provocateurs in the street were unhappy. They had tried to trigger a bloodbath. Hughes pulled aside his intel and Special Forces people and told them, “Pull out your digital cameras and take the picture of the face of everyone who is not happy” about the nonviolent resolution. Those people would be located and dealt with that night.

Although the throng’s angst had receded, they were still highly flammable. Hughes could not advance to the ayatollah’s house. He needed to withdraw. He told his men, “All No Slack, just turn around. Let’s go.” Slowly his men rose from their knees, and began stepping backward away from the crowd. The crowd did not pursue. Farther back, now farther.

Fomenters continued their efforts to move the mob to attack. “Just turn around,” Hughes repeated. No longer facing the crowd, his men simply turned and walked away. As he departed in a sweeping flourish, Hughes demonstratively swung his right arm and placed his hand flat against his heart in the traditional Islamic gesture, “Peace be with you.” He added, “Have a nice day.” Then the warrior peaceably walked off.

That night, the provocateurs were found and eliminated. Ayatollah Sistani issued his fatwa ordering all Shi’as to not interfere with American forces. Armed with that and an unstoppable coalition, Baghdad fell within a week. Iraq was taken. Again.

Hughes’s words still echo: “Have a nice day.” Iraq has been waiting for 7,000 years.

Mr. Pro Bowl
11-16-2011, 10:43 PM
just speechles...

Eric Decker Flagged for Dropping to a Knee and Saluting the Veterans (http://larrybrownsports.com/football/eric-decker-fined-for-dropping-to-a-knee-and-saluting-the-troops-picture/98504)

sneakers
11-17-2011, 01:21 AM
I don't get it.

sneakers
11-17-2011, 01:23 AM
Someone tell me why we need more military appreciation days/games/etc. seems like I'm hearing about one every two weeks.

Just another way of people making themselves feel good about themselves without having to put in any effort or make any impact.

Dapper Dan
11-17-2011, 02:06 AM
Does anyone think that some just make outrageous comments just to...well, outrage people? I believe so too.

Superchop 7
11-17-2011, 12:19 PM
yeah, its a real burden to pay ones respects.

The country was just magically made for you, thank God there was no sacrifice.

There are people everyday losing a brother.....a father......a friend.......

Get past your selfish self.

Buff
11-17-2011, 12:31 PM

I am annoyed that singing God Bless America has become a tradition at baseball games. It's not enough to sing the Nat'l Anthem before the game, now we are eliminating Take Me Out to the Ballgame for excessive nationalism.

slim
11-17-2011, 01:43 PM
Yeah, **** America!

rationalfan
11-17-2011, 01:55 PM
yeah, its a real burden to pay ones respects.

The country was just magically made for you, thank God there was no sacrifice.

There are people everyday losing a brother.....a father......a friend.......

Get past your selfish self.

I have no problem paying respect to people. I tire Of requests to respect the same people over and over again.

BigSarge87
11-17-2011, 02:23 PM
I have no problem paying respect to people. I tire Of requests to respect the same people over and over again.

And you have every right to feel like that...

Thanks to those same people.

slim
11-17-2011, 02:27 PM
I tire of people that are so self righteous that they bristle at simple requests

LTC Pain
11-17-2011, 02:29 PM

RF,

I'm a retired Army LTC. Served 20+ years in the active Army and 4+ years in the Army Reserve before that. My guess is that the Broncos are making the game versus the Jets Military Appreciation day because of 1) close proximity to Veteran's Day (11 Nov) and 2) because of the huge military presence in Colorado (active and retired), particularly the Denver/Colorado Springs corridor. You probably know where all the military bases are located in Colorado so I won't repeat them. I once read a stat that apart from the area around Eglin AFB, Florida there are more military retirees in Colorado than any other state. And I say if you hear/see a lot of organizations promoting military appreciation type activities that's a good thing. If you're at the game, shake the hand of a service member and offer your gratitude. They are the ones taking the risk and ensuring your Constitutional freedoms. Because freedom isn't free :beer: :salute:

BroncoTech
11-17-2011, 02:34 PM
When McGahee said early in the year they should bring back the mile high salute it had nothing to do with the troops, as far as I know. Now you're unpatriotic, unAmerican and all the other things tossed about from a single news source with an agenda.

So if it makes you feel better that they are saluting your neighbor's son in uniform keep in mind the plutocrat that started that war, his son is riding in the back of a limo.

rationalfan
11-17-2011, 04:06 PM
RF,

I'm a retired Army LTC. Served 20+ years in the active Army and 4+ years in the Army Reserve before that. My guess is that the Broncos are making the game versus the Jets Military Appreciation day because of 1) close proximity to Veteran's Day (11 Nov) and 2) because of the huge military presence in Colorado (active and retired), particularly the Denver/Colorado Springs corridor. You probably know where all the military bases are located in Colorado so I won't repeat them. I once read a stat that apart from the area around Eglin AFB, Florida there are more military retirees in Colorado than any other state. And I say if you hear/see a lot of organizations promoting military appreciation type activities that's a good thing. If you're at the game, shake the hand of a service member and offer your gratitude. They are the ones taking the risk and ensuring your Constitutional freedoms. Because freedom isn't free :beer: :salute:

i agree. but, often, our society has a rather myopic view of who is ensuring our country remains free. yes, the military and first responders deserve praise, credit and gratitude. but they seem to be the only people we honor. what about the social workers? the first amendment laywers? the anti-corporate lobbyists? the comedians who use humor to diffuse prickly ideas that are needed for cultural evolution?

i have nothing against the military; just the idea that the military deserves most of the praise for preserving our freedoms. we all deserve some praise for preserving freedom; what we do on this board is preserving intellectual freedom.

go broncos.

Dapper Dan
11-19-2011, 11:05 PM
i agree. but, often, our society has a rather myopic view of who is ensuring our country remains free. yes, the military and first responders deserve praise, credit and gratitude. but they seem to be the only people we honor. what about the social workers? the first amendment laywers? the anti-corporate lobbyists? the comedians who use humor to diffuse prickly ideas that are needed for cultural evolution?

i have nothing against the military; just the idea that the military deserves most of the praise for preserving our freedoms. we all deserve some praise for preserving freedom; what we do on this board is preserving intellectual freedom.

go broncos.

So don't keep someone from saluting or appreciating the military. Just do the same to the people you mentioned.

Joel
11-19-2011, 11:34 PM

go broncos.
I actually have to agree with LTC on this one: Few, if any of the people you mentioned are putting their bodies and lives between those who would take our freedom. That does not diminish the efforts and sacrifices of those you mentioned, but it is a very different thing. It kind of boggles the mind, really, that people who love the American flag so much they volunteer to die for it, with little say in where, why or how, do so knowing that means volunteering for the right of other Americans to burn their beloved flag. And they do it anyway. That's a level of commitment deserving respect and honor that endures as long as the rights it paid for in blood. It's also what enrages me when I see politicians cruelly use our military then turn their backs on it, but that's a rant for another thread. The point is that, after all the US military has given and continues to give the nation, a little public honor on and around Veterans Day seems the least they deserve from us. No one can coerce it, because of them, precisely the reason it should need no coercion.