PDA

View Full Version : Broncos Still a Laughingstock to the Media

battherastard
11-15-2011, 11:44 PM
Found this on MHR, very interesting and definetly worth a read.

http://www.milehighreport.com/2011/11/15/2564581/denver-broncos-a-joke-to-rest-of-league#storyjump

camdisco24
11-15-2011, 11:52 PM
Respect is one of the hardest things to earn back once it's been lost. We will have to deal with stuff like this for a while, until we consistently win and beat good teams.

Let the haterz hate and the Broncos win.

BORDERLINE
11-16-2011, 12:20 AM
F' this BS. What are they laughing about??? What that are QB that no one said would win in the NFL is 3-1? That we are 1 game out of first behind a team that we creamed and could have beat in week 1 if not for the best QB on the team Orton.

To hell with the BS. When the Fins came out with the wildcat it got them a playoff birth why can't this Tebow ran option read do the same? Hell give Teebs another year to improve his mechanics and who knows how good he will be.

The one thing that really I don't understand is by Tebow running this system it's not going to give him the look we all wanted to see. Yes it's getting us wins and i'm all for more of those but come draft time if a solid QB is on the board would we rather draft a RB or CB (gave up on a Stout D-Linemen) instead of the prototype passer? Who knows more questions than answers but as long as we are winning I don't care.

MOtorboat
11-16-2011, 12:37 AM
It's a gimmick offense. If it was so successful, the Panthers and Dolphins would still be running it, but they aren't.

There's good reasons for that. I'm all for smash mouth ball control offenses, but this is kind of ridiculous. Some of that falls on the playcallers, some of it falls on the quarterback. But even at the height of the wildcat schemes in both Carolina and Miami they had a passing game sufficient enough to back the gimmicks up. Currently Denver doesn't have that (I know, I know, he completed one heave-ho pass for a touchdown...).

hamrob
11-16-2011, 12:43 AM
I'm a huge Tebow fan, primarily because he has "it". I believe that he can develop into a stud QB.

Having said that, this offense will only get us so far. I'm glad we won 3 of the last 4 don't get me wrong. But, throwing the ball only 8 times was assinine. We had several 3rd and 7,8 etc. that Tebow could have thrown short routes to try and pick up 1st downs and work on his passing.

Fox has decided that Tebow can't run a convential offense and deemed him to be nothing more than a RB playing behind center. That's not something I'm interested in watching for very long.

Develop the kid into a QB for craps sake.

Tned
11-16-2011, 12:47 AM
It's a gimmick offense. If it was so successful, the Panthers and Dolphins would still be running it, but they aren't.

There's good reasons for that. I'm all for smash mouth ball control offenses, but this is kind of ridiculous. Some of that falls on the playcallers, some of it falls on the quarterback. But even at the height of the wildcat schemes in both Carolina and Miami they had a passing game sufficient enough to back the gimmicks up. Currently Denver doesn't have that (I know, I know, he completed one heave-ho pass for a touchdown...).

What the Broncos are running is not the wildcat, so the comparison doesn't really hold water. How many passes of any length did Ronnie Brown and other RBs running the wildcat complete, not to mention throwing multiple 40+ yard throws.

Gimmick offense is a very poor description of it. It's not much more 'gimmicky' than the fake it to the FB and toss to RB play the Broncos used to run, or for that matter the bootlegs with Jake. Instead of playaction boots, they are running read option boots -- not much different.

That said, I think they need to pass more and not just bombs or in obvious passing situations.

Also, the "completed one heave-ho" comment is pretty uninformed. While they didn't pass much, pretty much every one of his passes were good passes, with the exception of the Decker underthrow. He had 4 balls that should have either been caught or had PI called on the defender.

I suggest you rewatch his passes without the in game emotion that we all have when watching it live.

elwayisgod
11-16-2011, 01:00 AM
Your right. Gimmick isnt the rigbt word to describe this........ Fricking High School offense is the correct definiton.... to hell with Donkeys!!! Boycotting games until we get a real qb and offense!!!!

Davii
11-16-2011, 01:05 AM
Your right. Gimmick isnt the rigbt word to describe this........ Fricking High School offense is the correct definiton.... to hell with Donkeys!!! Boycotting games until we get a real qb and offense!!!!

Good thing you only have one post then, nobody will miss you!

Superchop 7
11-16-2011, 01:13 AM
When he becomes a defensive co-ordinator......let me know.:coffee:

wayninja
11-16-2011, 01:14 AM
I take a different tack. This isn't the same offense that Miami and Carolina ran.

It works until it doesn't. So far it's working.

Superchop 7
11-16-2011, 01:15 AM
Do not confuse the single wing with what we run......

Rookies...

Northman
11-16-2011, 01:16 AM
Im not worried about it personally. I never cared for what they said when they tried to jump on the Bronco bandwagon in the late 90's and i dont care what they say now that we are struggling.

elwayisgod
11-16-2011, 01:21 AM
All the Tebow lovers can have the whole stadium and chant Tebow!!!!! Any person who thinks this crap is getting us anywhere is a fool. Lets win meaningful games!!!! KC, Miami and Oak hardly qualify. Lets see what happens with Jets, Pats, Bears, Bills!!!!! We saw what happened with a quality team in Lions. This is fools gold!!!!!!

wayninja
11-16-2011, 01:26 AM
KC, Miami and Oak hardly qualify.

Exactly! Since when does defeating division opponents on the road mean anything?

Go **** yourself.

sneakers
11-16-2011, 01:28 AM
This is stupid. Who cares? I like watching the Broncos. That's all I care about.

FlyByU
11-16-2011, 01:41 AM
Currently Denver doesn't have that (I know, I know, he completed one heave-ho pass for a touchdown...).

Ok you tell me a QB that can be on fire with just 5 pass plays called in 3 Qtrs of play. Not Rodgers not Rivers not Manning and not Brady.

So why would you expect a 5 game QB to be hitting like Manning Brady Etc... with 5 total pass plays for 3Qtrs.

When Tebow is allowed to throw 25 times a game then lets see what he can do but until then McCoy and Fox need to dig there heads outa their arse and call some passing at least on 3rd and long. Maybe then he may have 10 passes in by the end of the 3rd Qtr.

When I have seen him pass for 20+ times he isn't great looking but he gets TD's and that's what we need to win.

I doubt we run all over the Jets D, and if McStupid calls 50 runs and 5 passes again it may be a major blow out like say the Packers game this year.

bcbronc
11-16-2011, 01:50 AM
The one thing that really I don't understand is by Tebow running this system it's not going to give him the look we all wanted to see. Yes it's getting us wins and i'm all for more of those but come draft time if a solid QB is on the board would we rather draft a RB or CB (gave up on a Stout D-Linemen) instead of the prototype passer? Who knows more questions than answers but as long as we are winning I don't care.

I dunno, I think if you read between the lines a bit (like a gameplan that had 8 pass attempts) the decision has already been made by the FO. Pretty much a guarantee that we'll be drafting a QB imo...maybe not in the 1st, but in the first 3 rounds for sure.

I'm a huge Tebow fan, primarily because he has "it". I believe that he can develop into a stud QB.

Having said that, this offense will only get us so far. I'm glad we won 3 of the last 4 don't get me wrong. But, throwing the ball only 8 times was assinine. We had several 3rd and 7,8 etc. that Tebow could have thrown short routes to try and pick up 1st downs and work on his passing.

Fox has decided that Tebow can't run a convential offense and deemed him to be nothing more than a RB playing behind center. That's not something I'm interested in watching for very long.

Develop the kid into a QB for craps sake.

His worst throw of the day...by a LOT...was the short out that he bounced. It almost got an intentional grounding flag for not getting back to the LOS. ;)

Yes he's obviously going to have to pass more in coming games if we're going to keep getting Ws. But the coaches are handling it right imo...don't lose the game on an errant pik-6. Fox is a conservative coach as we know, even with an established vet, Fox would just as likely run up the gut on 3rd, punt and have his defense win the field position battle.

When Tebow consistently shows in practice that he can make the throws, then you start giving him more pass attempts in games. He's getting the first-team reps every practice now...there's no excuse not to see progress every week as far as the passing game goes (and imo we have so far).

bcbronc
11-16-2011, 01:54 AM
I doubt we run all over the Jets D, and if McStupid calls 50 runs and 5 passes again it may be a major blow out like say the Packers game this year.

actually, if there's one team in the league where a 50run/5pass ratio might be the right call, it's vs NYJ. They're not good against the run, and it takes their blitzes and CBs out of the game.

And the Jets don't have the offense to blow us out like the Packers did. Win or lose, I think it will be a close game, unless whatever RBs we have off the scrap heap can't hold on to the ball.

Dirk
11-16-2011, 07:12 AM
The media doesn't like to be proven wrong. Of course they are going to continue to pile on the Broncos.

The offense that the Broncos are running now is "old school" kinda. It will work for a while but it isn't going to stay around long. Not as the MAIN ingredient.

I think that if what Fox is doing is bringing Tebow along slowly and allowing the run game to help him then he is being a very smart coach. If he is running this offense because they don't have faith in Tebow then I see a move for a QB in the first come draft time.

Either way, it is much more fun watching Tebow behind center than it ever was watching Orton.

slim
11-16-2011, 08:15 AM
His worst throw of the day...by a LOT...was the short out that he bounced.

John Fox disagrees.

Tned
11-16-2011, 08:20 AM
I dunno, I think if you read between the lines a bit (like a gameplan that had 8 pass attempts) the decision has already been made by the FO. Pretty much a guarantee that we'll be drafting a QB imo...maybe not in the 1st, but in the first 3 rounds for sure.

Considering the QB that started the year, and the current backup are not under contract next year and not expected to be resigned, it's not exactly going out on a limb to say the Broncos will draft a QB.

His worst throw of the day...by a LOT...was the short out that he bounced. It almost got an intentional grounding flag for not getting back to the LOS. ;)

Maybe you should go to this article and click on the video embedded in it labeled "Fox on Tebow's smarts."

Kind of embarrassing yourself with this statement: http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d824253ac/article/smart-like-a-fox-broncos-coach-adapts-to-tebows-strengths

Yes he's obviously going to have to pass more in coming games if we're going to keep getting Ws. But the coaches are handling it right imo...don't lose the game on an errant pik-6. Fox is a conservative coach as we know, even with an established vet, Fox would just as likely run up the gut on 3rd, punt and have his defense win the field position battle.

When Tebow consistently shows in practice that he can make the throws, then you start giving him more pass attempts in games. He's getting the first-team reps every practice now...there's no excuse not to see progress every week as far as the passing game goes (and imo we have so far).

Yea, we wouldn't want Tebow to lead the league in Picks over a five game period like Orton did.

UnderArmour
11-16-2011, 08:30 AM
This is just providing more fuel for the Broncos to go out and do well on Thursday. The team will rally around Tim Tebow and just keep on winning games. If this team can make it in the playoffs, yes, the PLAYOFFS, then the entire media will be forced to worship Skip Bayless as a genius. For that reason alone, the Broncos will keep on winning games because nothing is more humorous than hearing Skip Bayless sound like the genius while other members of the media sound like, well.... Skip Bayless.

Ravage!!!
11-16-2011, 09:05 AM
Gimmick may not be the proper word to be "exactly" correct....but it gets the point across. This kind of offense would work when coming out of the blue, no one expecting it, for a single week. This is the kind of offense you I ran in HS. I think it's embarrassing.

Right now, I don't give a flying CRAP about the wins and the losses. This team is NOT made to go into the playoffs, and it certainly is not talent-ready enough to win in them. We beat a bad Miami team due to special teams. We beat a bad Oakland team that was starting a QB that sat on the couch for the last 12 months, and we beat a BAD KC team without throwing. Thats more a testiment about how bad KC is than it is something to brag about with Denver.

I get some fans want to enjoy the wins since its been a while. BUt to me, this was a time to find out if Tebow can play QB with the big-boys. RIght now, he's failing in epic proportions and our offense has made the Denver Broncos a joke, and I HATE to see our Broncos being a joke. People around the NFL are laughing at us about this offense.

FlyByU
11-16-2011, 09:12 AM
actually, if there's one team in the league where a 50run/5pass ratio might be the right call, it's vs NYJ. They're not good against the run, and it takes their blitzes and CBs out of the game.

And the Jets don't have the offense to blow us out like the Packers did. Win or lose, I think it will be a close game, unless whatever RBs we have off the scrap heap can't hold on to the ball.

Yelp your right they are great vs. the pass I just looked it up so maybe we can run all over them also. With all them runs it should set up some great play action pass plays you would think. Like the Decker bomb and the one Royal dropped as well.

Npba900
11-16-2011, 09:16 AM

Here's another thought to consider. Although the Tebow offense is a gimmick offense. Who's to say if Fox will try over the next 2 years to turn the Tebow Schemmed Offense into a scheme where you have a "Hulking" OL of 330 plus with two hulking FB's who are required to get 3.5 yds a carry to supplement Tebows bruising-smash mouth running style. Then Tebow would be only required to complete dink and dunk passes.

Suddenly you have something so un-orthodox that it changes how Defenses must approach playing the Broncos. Imagine no more empty back fields and Tebow has two hulking FB's back there to give Tim more protection and time back in the pocket! If it works, now suddenly the Broncos are eating up valuable time off the clock while keeping high scoring offenses and high stat passing QB's on the sidelines!!

If Tebow's body can take the wear and tear of playing like a FB without sustaining injuries over the next 2-6 years and during this time frame Fox can draft-develop and sign through FA Offensive linemen to play Smash-Mouth football w/o the skill or requirement to give the QB 4-5 seconds of protection, Fox could be on to something.

After all, how hard can it be to draft-develop big blocking FB's in the 245-260 pound class over the next 2-6 years to provide lead blocking in the running attack and protection for Tebow to complete dink-dunk passes of 5-15 yards with a smash mouth running attack that averages 3.5 yards a carry.

Nothing is more demoralizing to an opposing team and its defense than to be victim of 80-90 drive possessions that ends with a physical hulking impossing OL and bruising FB's smashing ino the end zone from 1-5 yds out.

BroncoNut
11-16-2011, 09:30 AM
This is BS and I will not stand for it

wayninja
11-16-2011, 09:45 AM
Gimmick may not be the proper word to be "exactly" correct....but it gets the point across. This kind of offense would work when coming out of the blue, no one expecting it, for a single week. This is the kind of offense you I ran in HS. I think it's embarrassing.

Right now, I don't give a flying CRAP about the wins and the losses. This team is NOT made to go into the playoffs, and it certainly is not talent-ready enough to win in them. We beat a bad Miami team due to special teams. We beat a bad Oakland team that was starting a QB that sat on the couch for the last 12 months, and we beat a BAD KC team without throwing. Thats more a testiment about how bad KC is than it is something to brag about with Denver.

I get some fans want to enjoy the wins since its been a while. BUt to me, this was a time to find out if Tebow can play QB with the big-boys. RIght now, he's failing in epic proportions and our offense has made the Denver Broncos a joke, and I HATE to see our Broncos being a joke. People around the NFL are laughing at us about this offense.

I know 3 teams that aren't laughing at us...

camdisco24
11-16-2011, 09:45 AM
This is BS and I will not stand for it

Grab your pitchfork and meet me at the doors of ESPN.

Shazam!
11-16-2011, 10:10 AM
I hate MSM.

I've said before these 'experts' from ESPN and their ilk are a friggin' joke.

If they beat the NYJ, a team that is supposedly sooooooooo great who they hail praise at Rex and Co. every chance they get, how in the hell does that not matter?!

I hope denver beats their brains in (not likely though) to open some eyes and shut some mouths.

BroncoStud
11-16-2011, 10:23 AM
Why is this just about Tebow? Fox himself has said numerous times that this is also being used to help the defense.

Who cares what offense we run if the Broncos are winning games? A month ago people would have laughed if you told them Denver would be a game out of the division lead right now.

Dreadnought
11-16-2011, 10:25 AM
How about just edit to "Media Still a Laughingstock"

ESPN is a bad joke. Sirius NFL radio and the NFL network have some good stuff but ESPN is worse than merely terrible.

catfish
11-16-2011, 10:26 AM
I would rather be laughed at for how badly I win than how badly I lose

Thestrategist1
11-16-2011, 11:27 AM
This is no longer hatred for Tim Tebow this is outright hatred for our beloved team and city, this is getting way too personal. I sure hope every Broncos ticket holder holds on to their ticket and invites the loudest Fan they know and show them what this city and team is all about tomorrow night. Im gonna try and get a ticket right now so I can be there when we not only beat the Jets but humiliate them!!!! 4-1 "Just win Baby"

wayninja
11-16-2011, 11:39 AM
This is no longer hatred for Tim Tebow this is outright hatred for our beloved team and city, this is getting way too personal. I sure hope every Broncos ticket holder holds on to their ticket and invites the loudest Fan they know and show them what this city and team is all about tomorrow night. Im gonna try and get a ticket right now so I can be there when we not only beat the Jets but humiliate them!!!! 4-1 "Just win Baby"

I disagree, it's still pretty much hatred for Tim Tebow. If we go to the playoffs, the media and tons of people will still moan about how bad we are and how we will get killed and can't win. Same if we win the AFC Championship.

The only thing that will shut people up is a superbowl win and I'm sure the media will still find a way to spin it that Denver won DESPITE Tebow rather than with him.

Not saying any of this is going to happen, but if by some miracle it does, that's how it will play out.

horsepig
11-16-2011, 11:39 AM

:frusty:

Slick
11-16-2011, 11:55 AM
I could care less what the media thinks.

**** 'em.

Mike
11-16-2011, 01:10 PM
I disagree, it's still pretty much hatred for Tim Tebow. If we go to the playoffs, the media and tons of people will still moan about how bad we are and how we will get killed and can't win. Same if we win the AFC Championship.

The only thing that will shut people up is a superbowl win and I'm sure the media will still find a way to spin it that Denver won DESPITE Tebow rather than with him.

Not saying any of this is going to happen, but if by some miracle it does, that's how it will play out.

While people might not like him and root against him, if he starts getting consistently in the 10/15 for 170 1 TD 0 INT range with solid rush gain and the Broncos continue to win, people will give him and the Broncos a bit more respect. Irrational people will still hate, but it will take some wind out of their sails and rational people will give credit.

Bronco fans watched the game and know that his play wasn't as bad as 2/8 indicates, but the rest of the nation sees that line and laughs. I would too if I weren't a Bronco fan and didn't watch the game.

wayninja
11-16-2011, 01:24 PM
Bronco fans watched the game and know that his play wasn't as bad as 2/8 indicates, but the rest of the nation sees that line and laughs. I would too if I weren't a Bronco fan and didn't watch the game.

I agree for the casual fan. Professional sports analysts should know better.

Thestrategist1
11-16-2011, 01:31 PM
IDK guys!!!! This feels to me like its getting more personal than Tebow, its no longer Tebow cant win at this level, Its hes winning but this style of football cant win and now Tebow isnt the laughing stock of the NFL its the Denver Broncos are the laughing stock of the NFL... See a patern thats coming with the Wins???? Our whole team is proving the ***holes wrong but they wont cave, they just keep getting more and more out there in their thought process!!! If this team continues to win then I sure hope a few folks lose there jobs over this. And for everyone who keeps comparing yhis offense to the wildcat or wild horse, the big difference is the person taking the snaps can throw the ball!!! Update:99% sure I will be at the game tomorrow night... Go Broncos

vhatever
11-17-2011, 11:45 AM
I'm really curious if any analysts dare to pick the broncos to win. Last game, I counted over 25 analysts on half a dozen networks all picked KC. Not even a single former bronco player.