PDA

View Full Version : Decker Penalized For Saluting Troops - May be fined

Shazam!
11-15-2011, 11:18 PM
Legal in the NFL: Scoring a touchdown and then running 100 yards down the sideline to give the ball to your girlfriend who's a cheerleader for the opposing team.

Not legal in the NFL: Scoring a touchdown and saluting the troops on Veterans Day weekend.

Denver Broncos wide receiver Eric Decker(notes) was assessed with an unsportsmanlike conduct penalty on Sunday after dropping to his knee and saluting in the end zone after a 56-yard touchdown reception from Tim Tebow(notes). The flag was thrown because Decker went to a knee, a celebration which has been illegal in the NFL since 2009.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shutdown_corner/post/On-Veterans-Day-weekend-Decker-penalized-for-sa;_ylt=Auhzpbwm6T0jK6YjBgj.MxlDubYF?urn=nfl-wp11807

I didn't know you cant go down to one knee.

Saw an AZ Card do it on Sunday in the Philly game, go down to a knee...

Denver Native (Carol)
11-15-2011, 11:22 PM
That is totally ridiculous :tsk: And if that is what Eric was fined for, why weren't the numerous Detroit players fined, as they were doing it when we played them :confused:

Superchop 7
11-15-2011, 11:35 PM
You gotta be kidding me.

Seriously.

camdisco24
11-15-2011, 11:48 PM
That's one of those calls that only one ref in the league would have made... and he happened to be calling our game that day. What can ya do?

MOtorboat
11-16-2011, 12:02 AM
Mocking Tebow by going to a knee...perfectly OK.

Going to a knee in the endzone after a touchdown...fine.

Hypocrites.

BroncoTech
11-16-2011, 12:09 AM
I think he was called for a pre determined celebratiion. I remember something where the NFL said they would never outlaw that move, because they didn't want to be struck down by lightening, something comical like that. Is there another new source saying this?

sneakers
11-16-2011, 12:21 AM
The nfl can fine who they want for whatever actions they deem are not in the best interest of their league...so if you got a problem with it, start your own football league.

Tned
11-16-2011, 12:22 AM
Mocking Tebow by going to a knee...perfectly OK.

Going to a knee in the endzone after a touchdown...fine.

Hypocrites.

As I read the rule, the guy that sacked Tebow and knelt in the Tebowing pose, should have been flagged:

TAUNTING
(c) The use of baiting or taunting acts or words that engender ill will between teams.
(d) Individual players involved in prolonged or excessive celebrations. Players are prohibited from engaging in any celebrations while on the ground. A celebration shall be deemed excessive or prolonged if a player continues to celebrate after a warning from an official.
(e) Two-or-more players engage in prolonged, excessive, premeditated, or choreographed celebrations.
(f) Possession or use of foreign or extraneous object(s) that are not part of the uniform during the game on the field or the sideline, or using the ball as a prop.

Note 5: Violations of (d) will be penalized if they occur anywhere on the field other than the bench area.

MOtorboat
11-16-2011, 12:28 AM
As I read the rule, the guy that sacked Tebow and knelt in the Tebowing pose, should have been flagged:

I don't think either should be fined or flagged, though that's not necessarily the rule.

But if one is a penalty and a fine, so is the other.

I haven't actually seen what Decker did, but if all he did was go to a knee and salute, that's just flat stupid to fine or flag him, especially considering the outright mocking the Broncos had to watch from Cliff Avril and Tony Scheffler in the Detroit-Denver game. It's inconsistent enforcement.

Tned
11-16-2011, 12:34 AM
I don't think either should be fined or flagged, though that's not necessarily the rule.

But if one is a penalty and a fine, so is the other.

I haven't actually seen what Decker did, but if all he did was go to a knee and salute, that's just flat stupid to fine or flag him, especially considering the outright mocking the Broncos had to watch from Cliff Avril and Tony Scheffler in the Detroit-Denver game. It's inconsistent enforcement.

Like with the roughing the passer calls that weren't flagged, but later fined, I don't necessarily agree with the rule, but just discussing the rules as written.

I'm a big believer in rules being fairly enforced, if they are in place, regardless if I agree with them. So, they should have both been flagged. I could even agree with an argument that the "spirit of the rule" that is "taunting" would mean that what Avril did was much more about taunting the other team than what Decker did.

As to agreeing/disagreeing with the rule, I'm with you, I think it's a dumb rule. As stupid as I thought some of the TD celebrations were getting, what was the big deal that they needed to rewrite the rules to prevent a couple players from leap frogging each other, or a guy falling on his back and doing a snow angel in the endzone.

MOtorboat
11-16-2011, 12:45 AM
Like with the roughing the passer calls that weren't flagged, but later fined, I don't necessarily agree with the rule, but just discussing the rules as written.

I'm a big believer in rules being fairly enforced, if they are in place, regardless if I agree with them. So, they should have both been flagged. I could even agree with an argument that the "spirit of the rule" that is "taunting" would mean that what Avril did was much more about taunting the other team than what Decker did.

As to agreeing/disagreeing with the rule, I'm with you, I think it's a dumb rule. As stupid as I thought some of the TD celebrations were getting, what was the big deal that they needed to rewrite the rules to prevent a couple players from leap frogging each other, or a guy falling on his back and doing a snow angel in the endzone.

Curry was fined for one hit, not "hits" in the plural. It was the one that drew the flag.

Scheffler's act was the most taunting of any of the three acts we're discussing, yet it wasn't flagged or fined.

The NFL needs to back off all this crap, because its not enforced consistently, or fairly.

hamrob
11-16-2011, 12:46 AM
That is totally ridiculous :tsk: And if that is what Eric was fined for, why weren't the numerous Detroit players fined, as they were doing it when we played them :confused:The heck with the fine. Why weren't the Lions flagged for it....like Decker was???

Tned
11-16-2011, 12:52 AM
Curry was fined for one hit, not "hits" in the plural. It was the one that drew the flag.

No, that was the not so unusual crappy reporting. In this case, by LaCanfora and then repeated by others ad nausea.

If you remember, the only flag Curry got was on the hit out of bounds where he shoved Tebow in the hip area. That was a personal foul and NOT a roughing the passer penalty as LaCanfora incorrectly reported and managed to get misreported all over the net.

Curry was fined $20,000 for hitting Tebow in the head/neck area, which he did twice. Once with the hit under the chin and once with the helmet to helmet chin. As we only have the shoddy reporting by LaCanfora to go on, we don't know which of those, if not both, led to his rather hefty fine.

Regardless, it wasn't for the flagged hit, because Curry didn't draw a roughing the passer flag, which was the whole point of the thread I started about the none calls on Tebow.

Northman
11-16-2011, 01:17 AM
Weak sauce...

I Eat Staples
11-16-2011, 01:21 AM
Players go to a knee all the time. I did read something last year about it being illegal but never saw it enforced. AP went to a knee after a TD on Monday night, no flag.

Npba900
11-16-2011, 08:48 AM
The NFL and its rules of the 21st Century is moving farther-n-farther away from the era of the 60's-70's-80's and first half of the 90's that really made the league great because Dynasty's Reign Supreme!

Oh well no sense harping over it....It - Is - What - It - Is.

FlyByU
11-16-2011, 08:59 AM
I sent Roger Goodell an E-mail asking that he review this fine and asked that it be removed as it was very appreciated by many Vet's that seen it and now have heard of it and are a little upset that Decker was fined for it. My Father, Sister, Son, and myself as well as several of my buddies all served and felt that it was very nice gesture. I encouraged them and ask you all to also send Roger Goodell Emails about this asking that he review and reconsider this fine.

Zweems56
11-16-2011, 09:03 AM
Someone should amend the title. To my knowledge, there was no fine; merely a penalty.

FlyByU
11-16-2011, 09:08 AM
The NFL and its rules of the 21st Century is moving farther-n-farther away from the era of the 60's-70's-80's and first half of the 90's that really made the league great because Dynasty's Reign Supreme!

Oh well no sense harping over it....It - Is - What - It - Is.

A lot of these new rules are embarrassing I was proud to tell the Euro's I meet about how tuff our Football is well now was. I cannot brag to much anymore.
I have seen harder hits in High School games that would of been 15yds and a few that might have gotten an NFL player suspended a game or two. Same watching college ball.
I do however see the new wimpy powder puff rules working into college now as well and it is just disgusting.

I don't think the Defensive players had any say in these new rules. If they did they are really paying for it now they cannot even cover a WR as well now without it being a flag and people wonder why the passing game has been so good now days.

threefolddead
11-16-2011, 09:12 AM
Unbelievable. Use your damn heads NFL. There are worse things going on than a salute to the troops in this league.

Mike
11-16-2011, 09:57 AM
He was fined for saluting with the wrong hand. ;)

Npba900
11-16-2011, 02:40 PM
He was fined for saluting with the wrong hand. ;)

Last I checked the UCMJ doesn't govern how the officials should officiate the games! So yes the oficial was wrong "Nine-Ways-To-Sunday"!:laugh:

Skacorica
11-16-2011, 09:52 PM
The no fun league rears its inconsistent head again

Dapper Dan
11-16-2011, 10:24 PM
I seriously thought he was fined for throwing the football at the wall. I guess I was wrong.

Btw, isn't Tom Brady always down on both knees?

Mr. Pro Bowl
11-16-2011, 10:38 PM
here is the picture (http://larrybrownsports.com/football/eric-decker-fined-for-dropping-to-a-knee-and-saluting-the-troops-picture/98504)

Dzone
11-16-2011, 10:54 PM
Check out Decker's girlfriend. What a life.
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d82431f58/article/deckers-countrystar-girlfriend-to-play-halftime-thursday?module=HP11_headline_stack

Mr. Pro Bowl
11-16-2011, 10:57 PM
I hope she is not wearing THAT @ Mile high on thursday...:shocked:

MOtorboat
11-16-2011, 10:58 PM
Still baffles me that Cliff Avril and Tony Scheffler were allowed to do what they did.

Mr. Pro Bowl
11-16-2011, 11:09 PM
I took this picture in July at Dove Valley.

http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x127/Jurgen4321/9-19.jpg

Denver Native (Carol)
11-16-2011, 11:29 PM
When you look at the picture, Eric was not on the field - he was on the white part, which is out of bounds - so apparently that does not matter???????

Also, this is from 2006, but if it is still the way the rule is - why is it ok for the Packers to jump into the crowd after they score - they definitely are not on their feet.

Simple celebration rule: Stay on your feet

http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/12070684/

Zweems56
11-16-2011, 11:58 PM
I'll request this again. Is there any chance we can change the title from "Fined" to "Penalized?" Until someone can prove that he was actually fined (I haven't seen a damned thing about it aside from this article that is titled "Fined" but says nothing of a fine in the body of the article), I'm calling bullshit. Right now we've got a bunch of knee-jerk reactions in this thread that basically sound like, "WHEEERRRRRT?! NFL IS UN-MURICAN! THEY MUST BE TERRORISTS!" In reality, all that happened was Decker got flagged for excessive celebration by the most ticky-tack crew in the NFL. It's well known that they're the most ticky-tack crew in the league. Stupid penalties (be it incorrect calls, or ticky-tack calls) happen every Sunday. We're not immune, and just because the stupid penalty came during Decker's salute to the military does not mean that the NFL are a bunch of communists.

Again. He did not get fined.

Tned
11-17-2011, 12:07 AM
I'll request this again. Is there any chance we can change the title from "Fined" to "Penalized?" Until someone can prove that he was actually fined (I haven't seen a damned thing about it aside from this article that is titled "Fined" but says nothing of a fine in the body of the article), I'm calling bullshit. Right now we've got a bunch of knee-jerk reactions in this thread that basically sound like, "WHEEERRRRRT?! NFL IS UN-MURICAN! THEY MUST BE TERRORISTS!" In reality, all that happened was Decker got flagged for excessive celebration by the most ticky-tack crew in the NFL. It's well known that they're the most ticky-tack crew in the league. Stupid penalties (be it incorrect calls, or ticky-tack calls) happen every Sunday. We're not immune, and just because the stupid penalty came during Decker's salute to the military does not mean that the NFL are a bunch of communists.

Again. He did not get fined.

I edited the thread title to "Penalized For Saluting Troops - May be fined." That clears up the fact that to date he was only penalized. We will find out tomorrow or Friday if he gets penalized.

Superchop 7
11-17-2011, 12:17 AM
The dead soldier's silence sings our national anthem. ~Aaron Kilbourn

Zweems56
11-17-2011, 12:26 AM
I edited the thread title to "Penalized For Saluting Troops - May be fined." That clears up the fact that to date he was only penalized. We will find out tomorrow or Friday if he gets penalized.

I think it's safe to say that there's no way he's going to get fined for it.

Tned
11-17-2011, 11:03 AM
I think it's safe to say that there's no way he's going to get fined for it.

Not really sure why it's "safe" to say that, but I hope you're right.

vhatever
11-17-2011, 11:55 AM
I don't understand what they have against going down on one knee. You can go down on two knees-- but not one knee? That's the dumbest thing I've heard.

Sounds like this might be an anti-religion rule, anti-christian in particular.

T.K.O.
11-17-2011, 12:05 PM
I don't understand what they have against going down on one knee. You can go down on two knees-- but not one knee? That's the dumbest thing I've heard.

Sounds like this might be an anti-religion rule, anti-christian in particular.

i think most Christians (children of them anyway) are taught to pray on their "knees" the one knee thing is historically used for proposing marraige,so i dont see where religon has anything to do with it.unless tebowing is the new kneeling?:confused:
either way it's just nuts to penalize a guy for what decker did.
i mean the "icky shuffle" should result in a 4 game suspension if the nfl is that uptight these days:laugh:

vhatever
11-17-2011, 12:10 PM
i think most Christians (children of them anyway) are taught to pray on their "knees" the one knee thing is historically used for proposing marraige,so i dont see where religon has anything to do with it.unless tebowing is the new kneeling?:confused:
either way it's just nuts to penalize a guy for what decker did.
i mean the "icky shuffle" should result in a 4 game suspension if the nfl is that uptight these days:laugh:

Nope. the typical christian pray pose is one bended knee, head bowed, hands clasped. I'm not sure you are familiar with the expression but for a long time the "on bended knee" meant someone was praying for something/someone.

Softskull
11-17-2011, 12:48 PM
Nope. the typical christian pray pose is one bended knee, head bowed, hands clasped. I'm not sure you are familiar with the expression but for a long time the "on bended knee" meant someone was praying for something/someone.

Someone stop him before he hurts himself. I've never iggied anyone and refuse to start now. I'm trying not to look...I swear. But is like when your dog got into the garbage and eaten something unusual (corn, pantyhose etc.) you just have to look at its poop.

vhatever
11-17-2011, 01:10 PM
Someone stop him before he hurts himself. I've never iggied anyone and refuse to start now. I'm trying not to look...I swear. But is like when your dog got into the garbage and eaten something unusual (corn, pantyhose etc.) you just have to look at its poop.

Are you denying my description of the typical christian prayer pose or you just don't like the fact I accurately pointed out this appears to be both aniti-religious and anti-christian?

If not, explain why 2 knees is okay but not 1?

Dzone
11-17-2011, 01:17 PM
The people who made that rule against kneeling were under the influence of Satan!
:pound:

Softskull
11-17-2011, 01:36 PM
Are you denying my description of the typical christian prayer pose or you just don't like the fact I accurately pointed out this appears to be both aniti-religious and anti-christian?

If not, explain why 2 knees is okay but not 1?

Actually, both.

Players cannot go to the ground while celebrating. It doesn't matter how many knees they use. You can't do snow angels either.

on bended knee is an act of submission adopted by Christians but used by non-Christians as well. It's typically use to denote someone's higher rank. In this case it was the US military.

BroncoTech
11-17-2011, 02:17 PM
This whole thread is a tanker. How you turn a penalty for excessive celebration into a thread is beyond the limits of reason. This team needs it's own signature move, not the mile high salute, which is some how turned into a salute for the troops. But that's the point, since when is the mile high salute intended for our troops? Somehow I thought it was a salute to the fans at mile high.