PDA

View Full Version : Dennison News

Dirk
01-12-2009, 12:12 PM
With the Broncos going offensive with their head coach, the team's current offensive coordinator, Rick Dennison, is shopping his services elsewhere.

Dennison is interviewing today for the San Francisco 49ers' offensive coordinator position, according to an NFL source. Dennison was one of seven candidates interviewed for the Broncos' head coaching job that went to now former New England Patriots' offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels.

The Broncos will introduce McDaniels at a 5 p.m. press conference today.

The Broncos announced that McDaniels signed a four-year contract. The typical salary for first-time head coaches is roughly $2 million a year. The Broncos still owe former head coach Mike Shanahan for three years at between $6.5 million and $7 million per year.

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_11434955

broncofaninfla
01-12-2009, 12:13 PM
Good luck Denny!
Hopefully we'll keep the zone blocking scheme on the O line...............

Traveler
01-12-2009, 12:16 PM
Not unexpected. Good bye and Good luck.

Ziggy
01-12-2009, 12:23 PM
I wish Dennison the best, and I'm sorry to be losing a long time Broncos player and coach.

TXBRONC
01-12-2009, 12:25 PM
I wish him the best.

dogfish
01-12-2009, 12:25 PM
too bad, the OL was great this year, and he's our last tie to the alex gibbs era of dominant lines. . . . add one more need to the list if he goes. . . . it's going to be interesting to see how things shake out with so many vacancies to be filled-- i wonder if doogie makes a play to bring sarnecchia over from new england in an assistant HC type of role?

MOtorboat
01-12-2009, 12:26 PM
too bad, the OL was great this year, and he's our last tie to the alex gibbs era of dominant lines. . . . add one more need to the list if he goes. . . . it's going to be interesting to see how things shake out with so many vacancies to be filled-- i wonder if doogie makes a play to bring sarnecchia over from new england in an assistant HC type of role?

Maybe ZBS will be history.

I wonder what this means for Turner.

dogfish
01-12-2009, 12:30 PM
Maybe ZBS will be history.

I wonder what this means for Turner.

ugh. . . ditching the ZBS would be completely stupid, given the time and resources we've invested to put together a high-quality young ZBS line. . . . i THINK (hope!) he'll probably want to keep it, given that they've been running some ZBS in new england the past few years, and that it's clearly what our current personnel is best suited for. . . really, can he afford to come in and start out by scrapping one of the strengths of the team when there's so much work that needs done elsewhere? IMO it would be a huge mistake. . . .

MOtorboat
01-12-2009, 12:32 PM
ugh. . . ditching the ZBS would be completely stupid, given the time and resources we've invested to put together a high-quality young ZBS line. . . . i THINK (hope!) he'll probably want to keep it, given that they've been running some ZBS in new england the past few years, and that it's clearly what our current personnel is best suited for. . . really, can he afford to come in and start out by scrapping one of the strengths of the team when there's so much work that needs done elsewhere? IMO it would be a huge mistake. . . .

Makes you wonder. He's smart, he knows what's successful with this o-line. That said, though, Nalen is gone, Clady and Harris have both blocked in other schemes, Wiegmann blocked in Kansas City for years...it's possible, and with not a whole lot of change. Hamilton would be the only question mark if they were to ditch the ZBS.

Tned
01-12-2009, 12:33 PM
It would be nice if Bates and turner were kept. Bates is young, meaning he should be adaptable to a new concept and has the good relationship with Cutler. Since McDaniels would likely call the plays initially, they could go the route of QB coach/OC for Bates, locking him up, and let him work under McDaniels.

Broncolingus
01-12-2009, 01:57 PM
Never had anything overly good or bad against Dennison (except maybe a not-so-great year as a ST Coach methinks)

...he's certainly given his life to the Broncos...

Good luck, Rick.

Lonestar
01-12-2009, 02:03 PM
Well I hope he get the job in SFO or any where else he was a good LB and kept the ZBS going in DEN..

But frankly I'd rather have an EX OLINE type and a coach for the unit..

Perhaps Nalen would be interested in doing so IF we decide to do the ZBS down the line.. If not withe the exception of Hamilton the other guys can adapt to any other system they want to put into effect..

Once Again I will beat the bigger OLINE drum as putting on 5-20 pound of muscle on each of them would not hurt us in getting the tough short yardage when we have to have it..

Nature Boy
01-12-2009, 02:15 PM
Dennison leaves and leaves Josh McDanials to overhaul our offense which was one of the most potent in the league.

Doesn't make much sense to me.

I predict the Broncos will take a couple steps back next season and never make the playoffs for the next 3 years and McDanials is then fired.

All the fans will be chanting "Bring back Mikey!"

I hope I not right on this one.

JONtheBRONCO
01-12-2009, 02:20 PM
I would say even if Turner goes (God, I hope he doesn't) our offensive line will be just fine. Pro offensive lineman are smart and can block in any system and even Hamilton will be able to adjust if we venture away from our ZBS. Remember not all these guys were in a ZBS in college and in high school.

red98
01-12-2009, 03:02 PM
Well I hope he get the job in SFO or any where else he was a good LB and kept the ZBS going in DEN..

But frankly I'd rather have an EX OLINE type and a coach for the unit..

Perhaps Nalen would be interested in doing so IF we decide to do the ZBS down the line.. If not withe the exception of Hamilton the other guys can adapt to any other system they want to put into effect..

Once Again I will beat the bigger OLINE drum as putting on 5-20 pound of muscle on each of them would not hurt us in getting the tough short yardage when we have to have it..

Tom Cable may be available if Dennison goes. He has coached the ZBS and played on the oline in college. Used to coach at CU I think too.

MOtorboat
01-12-2009, 03:05 PM
Tom Cable may be available if Dennison goes. He has coached the ZBS and played on the oline in college. Used to coach at CU I think too.

Neuheisal's last year, and Barnett's first. One as offensive coordinator.

Medford Bronco
01-12-2009, 05:32 PM

I would take Scarneccia. He did a wonderful job with that OL and
does not know to run block. I would not be sad to see zb end. the steelers smash you with a traditional OL. It can be done. Its about talent not just the scheme. You need a back that can get the job done as well.

Nature Boy
01-12-2009, 05:36 PM
Should've kept Dennison to maintain the same offense Mikey install which I thought was the best in the league despite a lack of a real RB and brought in a defensive coach to fix the real problem, Defense and special teams.

Pat Bowlen will be kicking himself this same time next year.

NightTrainLayne
01-12-2009, 05:38 PM
Should've kept Dennison to maintain the same offense Mikey install which I thought was the best in the league despite a lack of a real RB and brought in a defensive coach to fix the real problem, Defense and special teams.

Pat Bowlen will be kicking himself this same time next year.

I kick myself every time I read one of your posts.

BigDaddyBronco
01-12-2009, 05:42 PM
It's better than gouging out your eyes.

Medford Bronco
01-12-2009, 05:44 PM

lol we were 16th in scoring depite haveing the best offense as Nature Boy says :rolleyes:

Nature Boy
01-12-2009, 05:49 PM
lol we were 16th in scoring depite haveing the best offense as Nature Boy says :rolleyes:

No RB to punch it into the endzone but look at the yards and you'll see we were #2 or 3 in total offense.

Medford Bronco
01-12-2009, 05:50 PM
No RB to punch it into the endzone but look at the yards and you'll see we were #2 or 3 in total offense.

yardage is so overrated, just ask the Titans about Yardage this weekend.

its about scoring TDS and not FGs or turnovers in the red zone

Nature Boy
01-12-2009, 06:01 PM
yardage is so overrated, just ask the Titans about Yardage this weekend.

its about scoring TDS and not FGs or turnovers in the red zone

I agree and I think that the only missing piece in the Broncos offense was a superior RB. Our offense was fine.

It was the defense and STs that killed us.

Slick
01-12-2009, 06:07 PM
I agree and I think that the only missing piece in the Broncos offense was a superior RB. Our offense was fine.

It was the defense and STs that killed us.

The problem with your thinking here Nature Boy is you act like the defense and ST's weren't Shanahan's fault. They absolutely were. This is why he's gone.

Simple Jaded
01-12-2009, 06:14 PM
Scarnecchi would be great but I would think that NE would fight that tooth and nail, hopefully Dennison stays.

Cable is likely to stay in Oakland.......

Tned
01-12-2009, 06:23 PM
Never had anything overly good or bad against Dennison (except maybe a not-so-great year as a ST Coach methinks)

...he's certainly given his life to the Broncos...

Good luck, Rick.

Yea, my primary impression of Dennison was from when he was special teams coach and the special teams sucked. Having said that, the ST was bad before and after him. I know he spent a number of years as an assistant to Alex Gibbs, before taking over as O-line coach, and that apparently has been his focus, even with the title of OC.

Nature Boy
01-12-2009, 06:24 PM
The problem with your thinking here Nature Boy is you act like the defense and ST's weren't Shanahan's fault. They absolutely were. This is why he's gone.

Mike Shanahan is gone because of a clash of egos that anything else. Bowlen empowered Mikey to run the team as he will and when Bowlen stepped in to ask Mikey to make some changes, particularly to get a new DC to replace Slowick, Mikey said no to the BOSS. Hence the BOSS's EGO was bigger and won out.

What I do know is during the press conference, Pat Bowlen looked like the one who was being fired, not Mikey.

I totally agree that Mikey screwed up the defense when he fired Coyer(Coyer is still stewing over his dismissal) and tried to revamp the defense under Jim Bates. Well, Bates did not have the time or personnel to make it a success. With that, Mikey's time with Pat Bowlen also wore out.

Slick
01-12-2009, 06:36 PM
Mike Shanahan is gone because of a clash of egos that anything else. Bowlen empowered Mikey to run the team as he will and when Bowlen stepped in to ask Mikey to make some changes, particularly to get a new DC to replace Slowick, Mikey said no to the BOSS. Hence the BOSS's EGO was bigger and won out.

What I do know is during the press conference, Pat Bowlen looked like the one who was being fired, not Mikey.

I totally agree that Mikey screwed up the defense when he fired Coyer(Coyer is still stewing over his dismissal) and tried to revamp the defense under Jim Bates. Well, Bates did not have the time or personnel to make it a success. With that, Mikey's time with Pat Bowlen also wore out.

I see your point, but I disagree. I don't think Pat's ego had anything to do with it. He saw a coach that was failing in those areas. He took it upon himself as the owner of the club to rectify it. When you have the status that Shanahan had, there's no demotion, he had to go. It was obvious to all of us that Bowlen struggled with that decision. He didn't want to fire Shanahan. They worked closely together for so long, you build friendships in that way.

If I had a friend that was a good divemaster but had bad people skills, I'd struggle with it too, but I'd let him go.

sorry for going off topic here.

Nature Boy
01-12-2009, 06:54 PM
I see your point, but I disagree. I don't think Pat's ego had anything to do with it. He saw a coach that was failing in those areas. He took it upon himself as the owner of the club to rectify it. When you have the status that Shanahan had, there's no demotion, he had to go. It was obvious to all of us that Bowlen struggled with that decision. He didn't want to fire Shanahan. They worked closely together for so long, you build friendships in that way.

If I had a friend that was a good divemaster but had bad people skills, I'd struggle with it too, but I'd let him go.

sorry for going off topic here.

I disagree. It was all EGO. "It's my team, not your's." thought Bowlen.

BigHouseofOrange
01-12-2009, 07:01 PM
I disagree. It was all EGO. "It's my team, not your's." thought Bowlen.

Right, it is Bowlen's team, and he decided to make a change. I'm not sure the reasons actually matter. Shanahan had let himself get too comfortable in my opinion, and Bowlen decided he needed someone with some urgency.

As for Dennison, I wish him the best. He was definitely a Bronco lifer, and there aren't too many guys around anymore who spend more time with a team than he has with Denver.

Although I expect McD to run the offense himself, I think the OC is important, so I'm anxious to see who he's going to bring in. If Dennison is a definite goner, I can't see Bates staying and I am VERY concerned about Jay's relationship with the coaching staff.

Rick
01-12-2009, 07:19 PM
Hopefully Dennison stays but I can't blame him for wanting to leave. Broncos just hired a 32 year old offense coach, they are in love with young Bates(assuming he stays) so the chances of Dennison advancing any further on this team are slim to none.

Also as long as he stays here he will never be credited for the offense. Untill now it was Shannys and now it will be McDanials(some Bates).

he needs to leave if he wants to get any recognition for more than OLine coaching.

I think if he has a ball control offensive mentality at all he will have a good chance in San Fran to get the job as that is what Singaltary is looking for.

Den21vsBal19
01-12-2009, 07:22 PM
Dennison Interviewing in San Fran (http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/story/11252314/rss)

SANTA CLARA, Calif. -- Denver Broncos offensive coordinator Rick Dennison interviewed with the San Francisco 49ers on Monday to run their offense.

He's the fourth coach to interview for the job on Mike Singletary's staff that was vacated when Mike Martz was fired last month.

Dennison was an assistant to former Broncos coach Mike Shanahan for 14 years, also coaching the offensive line. He won't be retained on new Denver coach Josh McDaniels' staff, but his interview with San Francisco was set up before Shanahan was fired.

Former St. Louis coach Scott Linehan, Indianapolis receivers coach Clyde Christensen and Cleveland offensive coordinator Rob Chudzinski already have interviewed with Singletary.

Best of luck, wherever he lands :salute: