PDA

View Full Version : Dom Capers new defensive coordinator?

sneakers
01-12-2009, 05:44 AM
Nolan or Capers, either way we get to see the end of Slowick.

http://www.rockymountainnews.com/news/2009/jan/11/capers-likely-be-broncos-defensive-coordinator/

Capers likely to be Broncos' next defensive coordinator
Two Broncos players said Sunday night they had been told Dom Capers would be the team's new defensive coach. Capers is a former Steelers defensive coordinator – the team had the league's No. 1 defense in 1992 during Capers' tenure – as well as former Carolina Panthers and Houston Texans head coach.

However there were indications that former 49ers coach Mike Nolan could be the pick as well and there were some in the league Sunday night who said they believed current Eagles secondary coach Sean McDermott would end up on new head coach Josh McDaniels' staff.

With Capers or Nolan, however, that would also seem to indicate the Broncos will switch to a 3-4 look on defense since that is what Capers, who was the Patriots' special assistant and secondary coach this past year, and Nolan have run for the majority of their careers and what the Patriots have played under Bill Belichick during McDaniels' time with the team.

Cheez Whiz
01-12-2009, 05:50 AM
I think when Mickey D gives his presser tomorrow, we'll know more.

sneakers
01-12-2009, 05:55 AM
I think when Mickey D gives his presser tomorrow, we'll know more.

But I wanna know NOW! :bawling:

claymore
01-12-2009, 06:19 AM
I dont see how we can afford to switch to the 3-4.

fcspikeit
01-12-2009, 07:00 AM

Either way we will need an overhaul on D.. I would rather us switch to the 3-4.. IMO, we will be better of for it. We'll see who either Capers or Nolan can bring with them to help speed the transition along?

This should be an exciting off season. It's been 4 years sense the Broncos were talked about in the post season...:D

CoachChaz
01-12-2009, 08:18 AM

It's not like we can afford to stick with the 4-3 we currently use either.

G_Money
01-12-2009, 08:33 AM
You can’t run a 3-4 without a NT.

Scrap the mock drafts, we’ll have to take one in the 1st I’d think. Good thing we have a worse record than the Chargers, their NT is getting old and they need one too.

Hopefully we steal the right one.

A 3-4 makes Woodyard a non-factor at LB – he’s just too small. If he wants to get on the field he’ll have to play safety. Winborn’s gonna go, and DJ will likely move inside.

It removes Moss and Doom from the DE and forces them to play OLB or be gone.

It’ll be crazy…but it’s not like Doom, Moss, Winborn, etc were huge parts of our future success. All the positions we’re revamping to fit a 3-4 were positions that had to be re-vamped to run a successful 4-3, too. *shrugs* I care less about what type of scheme we run than that it’s brutally effective.

Dom Capers has been fairly brutally effective over the course of his career. Right now most of the teams in the NFC East (which we play next year) and the top teams in the AFC all have good defenses. Watching the Ravens, Titans, Steelers and Chargers slug it out should prove to most that our old D was never gonna give us a chance to hang with those teams and have a legit shot at a title.

Whatever our new D is, it needs to give us that chance.

I don’t care how much re-tooling that takes.

~G

CoachChaz
01-12-2009, 08:39 AM
I could care less if we have to replace all 11 players on that side of the ball. If that's what it takes to improve, then so be it.

broncofaninfla
01-12-2009, 09:08 AM
Sounds like we are getting the defensive overhaul we desperatly need.

TXBRONC
01-12-2009, 09:16 AM

I had one guy tell me that running a 3-4 defense is cheaper because you don't have to have the as many defensive linemen.

claymore
01-12-2009, 09:28 AM
I had one guy tell me that running a 3-4 defense is cheaper because you don't have to have the as many defensive linemen.

LOL. Im curious as to how good the Broncos are doing financially. With the coaching turnover alone, Bowlen is on the hook for millions.

Im worried we wont be able to afford bringing in the NT because of money issues, let alone finding one.

broncofaninfla
01-12-2009, 09:53 AM
LOL. Im curious as to how good the Broncos are doing financially. With the coaching turnover alone, Bowlen is on the hook for millions.

Im worried we wont be able to afford bringing in the NT because of money issues, let alone finding one.

I've been wondering the same thing as well.

Traveler
01-12-2009, 09:56 AM
My worry is that by the time the defense is rebuilt, the offense will start losing players because their contract years are approching.

CoachChaz
01-12-2009, 09:59 AM
My worry is that by the time the defense is rebuilt, the offense will start losing players because their contract years are approching.

Kind of the risk you take when you put all of your eggs in one basket. Say thanks to Shanny for that dilemma.

Broncolingus
01-12-2009, 10:00 AM
Personally, I don't care about either the scheme or the DC - OR the current personnel on the defensive side of the ball.

I think whatever DC and scheme Denver ends up running, the REAL key to success will be getting 'real' talent on the defensive side of the ball...

Hello, GM?

TXBRONC
01-12-2009, 10:01 AM
I don't know if we would need some like Vince Wilfork just yet and besides it will probably take a couple of years to rebuild the defense assuming that we switch to a 3-4.

Shazam!
01-12-2009, 10:04 AM
I'll take a completely rebuilt defense filled with rookies and a better DC (CAPERS) in a second over the disgrace of 2008.

Many have been clamoring for the 3-4 for years. We may get it.

Traveler
01-12-2009, 10:13 AM
Kind of the risk you take when you put all of your eggs in one basket. Say thanks to Shanny for that dilemma.

I hear you man. That was my biggest issue with Shanahan the GM. While it is nice to have the personnel we have on offense, he committed-for lack of a better term-malpractice with the remainder of the team. That's why he's no longer employed with Denver IMO. But I digress.

Again, as for the names being thrown out for DC, I'm not moved. But my feelings in this matter don't count ,so I'll roll with whomever they bring in and comment after the season is over.

TXBRONC
01-12-2009, 10:17 AM
I'll take a completely rebuilt defense filled with rookies and a better DC (CAPERS) in a second over the disgrace of 2008.

Many have been clamoring for the 3-4 for years. We may get it.

If Capers is the defensive coordinator I think it's pretty safe to say we'll move to a 3-4 as the base defense. Everywhere he has been as d.c. or h.c. his teams have run 3-4 defense.

broncofaninfla
01-12-2009, 10:43 AM
Isn't Capers currently the DC at NE? If so, why would he leave there for here?

Requiem / The Dagda
01-12-2009, 10:44 AM
He is their secondary coach.

broncofaninfla
01-12-2009, 10:47 AM
He is their secondary coach.

Cool, so it DOES make sense for him to make the switch. :beer:

frauschieze
01-12-2009, 11:22 AM

Shanahan is taking the year off, so Bowlen doesn't owe him a dime.

LRtagger
01-12-2009, 11:24 AM
Shanahan is taking the year off, so Bowlen doesn't owe him a dime.

My guess is he will still pay him.

frauschieze
01-12-2009, 11:27 AM
My guess is he will still pay him.

Why?

MOtorboat
01-12-2009, 11:30 AM
Why?

Do you know who the last team was that didn't pay Shanahan?

frauschieze
01-12-2009, 11:42 AM

I'm just theorizing from the blub in the thread that states if Shanahan doesn't actively pursue another job the contract is void. I suppose it all depends. If the contract is vague, or we don't have the right info on what the employment seeking clause is, I fully expect that Bowlen will pay every dime. But IF it is as cut and dried as it sounds, I can't see Bowlen paying Shanahan $21 million out of goodness of his heart.

G_Money
01-12-2009, 11:47 AM
Bowlen’s gonna pay Shanny for this year. He feels bad about firing him.

And Shanny will sit out.

Then Shanny will get a job next year and reduce Bowlen’s payments to him accordingly.

Bowlen will not pay Mike all 3 years to sit out, but next year? Yeah, he’s probably gonna. $5 hikes for the season ticket holders should cover it. :rolleyes:

~G

NightTrainLayne
01-12-2009, 11:50 AM
I'm just theorizing from the blub in the thread that states if Shanahan doesn't actively pursue another job the contract is void. I suppose it all depends. If the contract is vague, or we don't have the right info on what the employment seeking clause is, I fully expect that Bowlen will pay every dime. But IF it is as cut and dried as it sounds, I can't see Bowlen paying Shanahan $21 million out of goodness of his heart.

I also wonder if there's any qualifications for "actively pursuing another job."

I mean, could the other "job" be as an analyst with CBS or FOX? What strings are attached to job?

Nobody knows, but I do imagine that Bowlen pays for this next year just because of their relationship. By next year Shanny will be in the market again as G wrote.

TXBRONC
01-12-2009, 12:00 PM

Yeah, Bowlen in no Al Davis.

Traveler
01-12-2009, 12:04 PM
Bowlen’s gonna pay Shanny for this year. He feels bad about firing him.

And Shanny will sit out.

Then Shanny will get a job next year and reduce Bowlen’s payments to him accordingly.

Bowlen will not pay Mike all 3 years to sit out, but next year? Yeah, he’s probably gonna. $5 hikes for the season ticket holders should cover it. :rolleyes:

~G

$7 million this year (if he sits out) and whatever the difference is the following two years once he signs a new contract, if what I read was true in the papers.

underrated29
01-12-2009, 03:09 PM
We got mcdaniels, we got nolan. Some have speculated that dom capers might also be the next contestant on the fix the broncos, but no one knows for sure yet that i have heard.

Does anyone know the likely hood of dom coming over too?

I like mcd, and nolan is ok imo, but capers would be a lovely finishing touch.

Post your thoughts or Capers rumors here.

broncofaninfla
01-12-2009, 03:13 PM
Bowlens group has been good about being tight lipped through out this whole process. I think anything past Mcd and Nolan is pure speculation at this point. I just found a story that says Romeo Crennel is coming over as well. LOL! I think I'll wait until the news conference then absorb that news in.

claymore
01-12-2009, 03:15 PM
Nolan isnt official yet.....

underrated29
01-12-2009, 03:16 PM
wow, crennel too. That is funny, but wouldnt be to bad....I forgot about the press conference.

Dortoh
01-12-2009, 03:21 PM
My sources say "they are currently working on making it happen"

That is all

G_Money
01-12-2009, 03:30 PM
Huh.

My source said to ask again later.

Here, feel free to ask him yourselves:

http://web.ics.purdue.edu/~ssanty/cgi-bin/eightball.cgi

~G

shank
01-12-2009, 03:31 PM
my sources say that doroth's sources don't know ish

Dortoh
01-12-2009, 03:33 PM
My source could kick the **** out of your source.

shank
01-12-2009, 03:47 PM
My source could kick the **** out of your source.

don't think so. my source is bill brasky.

Lonestar
01-12-2009, 03:48 PM
Hey I'll take romeo, capers or Nolan all outstanding DC in the past.. just did not have what it took to run the franchise.. that happens.. but any or all of them could be great for a younger HC to bounce Ideas off of..

Medford Bronco
01-12-2009, 03:49 PM
Bowlens group has been good about being tight lipped through out this whole process. I think anything past Mcd and Nolan is pure speculation at this point. I just found a story that says Romeo Crennel is coming over as well. LOL! I think I'll wait until the news conference then absorb that news in.

lol it would be like an allstar coordinator staff to replace the inept one from last season

Nolan
Capers and
Crennell

I would take it :salute:

We actually might get a real:defense: (BTW I have never used this smilie because our D has been so patetic and not deserving of that smilie IMO)

Lonestar
01-12-2009, 03:54 PM
lol it would be like an allstar coordinator staff to replace the inept one from last season

Nolan
Capers and
Crennell

We actually might get a real:defense: (BTW I have never used this smilie because our D has been so patetic and not deserving of that smilie IMO)
it will be only one of them coming to us as we speak they are all either unemployed or assistants somewhere else so it would have to be a promotion for them to come or we have to compensate the old team and get permission if they come as assistant/position coaches..

Lonestar
01-12-2009, 04:03 PM

We actually might get a real:defense: (BTW I have never used this smilie because our D has been so pate tic and not deserving of that smilie IMO)

should have asked and perhaps you have already answered it somewhere, as your from his part of the country what is your take on Mc Daniels?

I know you get Pats crammed down your throat like the local press here does the cowgirls..

CoachChaz
01-12-2009, 04:11 PM
Hold off on adding 3 DC's. That could only end in tragedy

UnderArmour
01-12-2009, 04:14 PM
Hold off on adding 3 DC's. That could only end in tragedy

...for opposing offenses.

CoachChaz
01-12-2009, 04:19 PM
...for opposing offenses.

3 Very good DC's also means 3 egos. I'm happy with one of them

Medford Bronco
01-12-2009, 04:36 PM

Agreed Coach but

Crennell and Belllicheck once upon a time (1996) I think bothe worked under Parcells here in NE and it worked out fine. I also think they did in in 97 with the Jets as well.

It can work if the egos are checked at the door. We shall see.

I would take one of them :beer:

TXBRONC
01-12-2009, 04:42 PM

We wont hire more than one.

TXBRONC
01-12-2009, 04:44 PM
Agreed Coach but

Crennell and Belllicheck once upon a time (1996) I think bothe worked under Parcells here in NE and it worked out fine. I also think they did in in 97 with the Jets as well.

It can work if the egos are checked at the door. We shall see.

I would take one of them :beer:

All three of those guys ran New Englands defense at the same time?

Medford Bronco
01-12-2009, 04:45 PM
All three of those guys ran New Englands defense at the same time?

No only two

Crennell was DC with Bellicheck as "Assistant Head Coach" to Parcells and maybe overall consultant to the D or something like that.

Capers was only on this past season

broncofaninfla
01-13-2009, 09:24 AM
I'm still hearing reports that Capers might be brought in at some capacity for the Broncos.

TXBRONC
01-13-2009, 09:27 AM
I'm still hearing reports that Capers might be brought in at some capacity for the Broncos.

Same here, I read in today's RMN that Capers could possibly be coming to Denver as well as Mike Nolan.

broncofaninfla
01-13-2009, 09:34 AM
Same here, I read in today's RMN that Capers could possibly be coming to Denver as well as Mike Nolan.

Assistant Head coach maybe?

TXBRONC
01-13-2009, 09:50 AM
Assistant Head coach maybe?

It sounds good to me. But I wonder why McDaniels would want to bring both of them aboard? Capers and Nolan both have enough on their resumes to do the job independently.

BroncoJoe
01-13-2009, 09:54 AM
It'll be one or the other, IMO.

TXBRONC
01-13-2009, 09:57 AM
It'll be one or the other, IMO.

That's what I think will ultimately happen as well. But if we should end up with both what will be there respective roles on the team?

Shazam!
01-13-2009, 10:02 AM
I'd rather have Capers.

Dean
01-13-2009, 10:04 AM
Speaking as a coach, the more talent you surround yourself with the better for the team.

A strong head coach can massage the egos with some well chosen word in the press while keeping them in check. This allows competiion between them to make their group (LBs, D-line, or D-backs) the best. Unless the team is sinking back stabbing the head coach in public is career suicide.

If a head coach can not have dissent in meetings, he probably will have to carry the whole load by himself.

TXBRONC
01-13-2009, 10:30 AM
Speaking as a coach, the more talent you surround yourself with the better for the team.

A strong head coach can massage the egos with some well chosen word in the press while keeping them in check. This allows competiion between them to make their group (LBs, D-line, or D-backs) the best. Unless the team is sinking back stabbing the head coach in public is career suicide.

If a head coach can not have dissent in meetings, he probably will have to carry the whole load by himself.

If McDaniels does in fact bring both Capers and Nolan on board that seems monumental task considering what each has accomplished in their respective careers.

G_Money
01-13-2009, 10:38 AM
http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/articles/2009/01/13/capers_and_seely_next_to_go/

Josh McDaniels isn't the only coach leaving the Patriots behind. Both special teams coach Brad Seely and special assistant/secondary coach Dom Capers aren't expected to return to the team in 2009, according to an NFL source.

Seely, 52, has directed the special teams for the last 10 seasons, one of the few holdovers from Pete Carroll's staff. Patriots coach Bill Belichick has annually lauded him as one of the best special teams coaches with whom he's worked.

Meanwhile, Capers will end up spending just one season with the club. Denver-area newspaper reports indicated that Capers, a 23-year NFL veteran, was a candidate to join McDaniels's staff in Denver. McDaniels said yesterday in his introductory press conference that he hadn't spoken with Capers, although that doesn't mean the two couldn't meet up again in the Mile High City.

The same presumably would be true for Seely and McDaniels.

The Seattle Seahawks previously had expressed interest in Seely.

The defections are significant, as Belichick will have to revamp some key areas of his staff.

The Patriots place a heavy emphasis on special teams, whether it's devoting extra practice time to the kicking game, or having top players playing on those units. Under Seely, who just concluded his 20th NFL season, the Patriots had the league's third-ranked kickoff-return unit in 2008. They started, on average, at the 30.5-yard line.

On an individual basis, one of Seely's top accomplishments in New England was helping develop kicker Stephen Gostkowski, who joined the team in a difficult situation, stepping in for the iconic Adam Vinatieri. In just his third season, Gostkowski was named an All-Pro this year.

Part of what made Seely so valuable was his ability to piece together successful special teams units even when the Patriots were struck by a string of injuries.

Still hopin' for Capers, but I'd take the Pats special teams coach too...

~G

Ziggy
01-13-2009, 10:40 AM

I'd love to see that scenario. A smart coach uses all of the resources at his disposal.

broncofaninfla
01-13-2009, 10:41 AM
Getting Capers and Seely would be SWEET!

Shazam!
01-13-2009, 10:44 AM
I said it before, one of the perks of getting McDaniels or Spags would be raping their former teams staff. Both the NYG and NE have stellar staffs, and both are expected to be lightened with the coordinators leaving.

underrated29
01-13-2009, 12:51 PM
the people over at BM say its official that nolan has confimred signing as our DC.

Take it for what its worth, those people sometimes arent the smartest over there. It had a link, but alas my gay computer cant follow it.

TXBRONC
01-13-2009, 01:00 PM
I said it before, one of the perks of getting McDaniels or Spags would be raping their former teams staff. Both the NYG and NE have stellar staffs, and both are expected to be lightened with the coordinators leaving.

It is a fairly common practice for new head coach to bring some of his staff from his former team. I don't if I would use the word rape to describe the action. :shocked:

DenBronx
01-13-2009, 01:13 PM
the people over at BM say its official that nolan has confimred signing as our DC.

Take it for what its worth, those people sometimes arent the smartest over there. It had a link, but alas my gay computer cant follow it.

It's from the Denver Post. Pretty credible I would think.

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_11439140

McDaniels' first call: Nolan

Josh McDaniels dug into the Broncos' past when making his first major decision as the team's new head coach Monday.

Mike Nolan, the former San Francisco 49ers coach who was a member of Dan Reeves' defensive staff here from 1987-92, has agreed to become the team's defensive coordinator.

"Mike is a very good coach, he's a good communicator and he's been around this league for a long time, and he's been a head coach in this league," McDaniels said. "All those things are very valuable, and his experience on the defensive side is absolutely a value to any organization."

Nolan, 49, followed Reeves to the New York Giants in 1993 for his first coordinator job. Their first year in New York, the Giants' defense allowed a league-low 205

Nolan and his new boss share a similar pedigree as the sons of prominent coaches and understudies of respected NFL coaches. McDaniels' father, Thom, is a high school coaching legend in Canton, Ohio. Josh has spent all eight of his years in the NFL working for Bill Belichick.

Nolan's father, Dick, was the head coach of the New Orleans Saints and the 49ers while Mike was growing up, and Mike Nolan has been on the staffs of Brian Billick and Al Groh, as well as Reeves.

"He just did a phenomenal job for me there," Reeves said Monday of Nolan's first stint in Denver. "He's a great communicator. He's been around the game all his life. His dad was about as good a defensive coach as there's ever been in this business."

(Click image to enlarge)Nolan's tenure in San Francisco will be remembered more for his wardrobe choices, though, than for producing standout defenses. Nolan wished to wear a suit on the sidelines, a violation of league rules that coaches wear only Reebok gear. Because of Nolan, the rule was changed.

Meanwhile, his defenses struggled. In 2005, his first season, the 49ers were dead last in total defense. The team improved to 26th in 2006 and 25th in 2007. His failure in San Francisco was also tied to the decision to draft quarterback Alex Smith with the No. 1 pick in 2005. Smith has floundered.

But just the fact that Nolan has the experience of running a team should help McDaniels as he adjusts to his first head coaching job.

"He brings a wealth of experience," said former NFL quarterback and television analyst Joe Theismann. "If you're a young coach, having that kind of experience can be very, very calming."

TXBRONC
01-13-2009, 01:19 PM
It's from the Denver Post. Pretty credible I would think.

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_11439140

McDaniels' first call: Nolan

Josh McDaniels dug into the Broncos' past when making his first major decision as the team's new head coach Monday.

Mike Nolan, the former San Francisco 49ers coach who was a member of Dan Reeves' defensive staff here from 1987-92, has agreed to become the team's defensive coordinator.

"Mike is a very good coach, he's a good communicator and he's been around this league for a long time, and he's been a head coach in this league," McDaniels said. "All those things are very valuable, and his experience on the defensive side is absolutely a value to any organization."

Nolan, 49, followed Reeves to the New York Giants in 1993 for his first coordinator job. Their first year in New York, the Giants' defense allowed a league-low 205

Nolan and his new boss share a similar pedigree as the sons of prominent coaches and understudies of respected NFL coaches. McDaniels' father, Thom, is a high school coaching legend in Canton, Ohio. Josh has spent all eight of his years in the NFL working for Bill Belichick.

Nolan's father, Dick, was the head coach of the New Orleans Saints and the 49ers while Mike was growing up, and Mike Nolan has been on the staffs of Brian Billick and Al Groh, as well as Reeves.

"He just did a phenomenal job for me there," Reeves said Monday of Nolan's first stint in Denver. "He's a great communicator. He's been around the game all his life. His dad was about as good a defensive coach as there's ever been in this business."

(Click image to enlarge)Nolan's tenure in San Francisco will be remembered more for his wardrobe choices, though, than for producing standout defenses. Nolan wished to wear a suit on the sidelines, a violation of league rules that coaches wear only Reebok gear. Because of Nolan, the rule was changed.

Meanwhile, his defenses struggled. In 2005, his first season, the 49ers were dead last in total defense. The team improved to 26th in 2006 and 25th in 2007. His failure in San Francisco was also tied to the decision to draft quarterback Alex Smith with the No. 1 pick in 2005. Smith has floundered.

But just the fact that Nolan has the experience of running a team should help McDaniels as he adjusts to his first head coaching job.

"He brings a wealth of experience," said former NFL quarterback and television analyst Joe Theismann. "If you're a young coach, having that kind of experience can be very, very calming."

Maybe I missed something in the interview but what McDaniels said didn't sound like Nolan was on board but rather they only talked about the possibility.

DenBronx
01-13-2009, 01:27 PM
Maybe I missed something in the interview but what McDaniels said didn't sound like Nolan was on board but rather they only talked about the possibility.

He said "Nothing is official yet". Sounds to me like it was more than just a talk but maybe a verbal agreement.

Besides, this report was from today.

I've got mixed feeling about Nolan as a DC but I think he could do alot better then what we have had in the past. As long as our offense keeps moving forward and our D starts to show some sign of life I think we will do better than .500.

broncofaninfla
01-13-2009, 04:04 PM
Out of curiosity I just checked denverbroncos.com to see if they have updated their staff and this is what they have listed:

Coaching Staff
* Assistant Coaches Pending Further Consideration by Head Coach Josh McDaniels
Greg Saporta (http://www.denverbroncos.com/page.php?id=357&contentID=634) - Assistant Strength and Conditioning
Rich Tuten (http://www.denverbroncos.com/page.php?id=357&contentID=638) - Strength and Conditioning
Kristi Nichols - Assistant Coaches Secretary

Looks like Nolan isn't official yet.