PDA

View Full Version : Smart like a Fox: Broncos coach adapts to Tebow's strengths

BroncoAV06
11-15-2011, 01:04 PM
Real Good Read:
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d824253ac/article/smart-like-a-fox-broncos-coach-adapts-to-tebows-strengths

'We can't do that other crap'
For the next 45 minutes, while I watched and listened from the other side of the desk, Fox broke down and explained nearly every offensive play from the past two wins against the Raiders and the Chiefs.

"After the loss to Detroit (a 45-10 blowout), we decided if Tim is going to be our guy, we can't do that other crap," Fox said. "We had to tweak it."

ydave77
11-15-2011, 01:26 PM
Good read.
Initially I was anti-Fox, but I dont know many coached that would be willing mid-season to make a wholesale change in philosophy to suit the talent on the team.
Do whatever it takes, get the win, and let the analysts keep telling you why it wont work.

catfish
11-15-2011, 02:03 PM
Good article. I would argue that Fox is matching the offense to the TEAMS strengths not just tebows. The running backs are a bright spot on this team, the O-line looks better run blocking than they do pass blocking (IMO). I think he saw running as this teams strength and went with it. Hope it works out

TT15Superman
11-15-2011, 02:21 PM
'We can't do that other crap'
For the next 45 minutes, while I watched and listened from the other side of the desk, Fox broke down and explained nearly every offensive play from the past two wins against the Raiders and the Chiefs.

"After the loss to Detroit (a 45-10 blowout), we decided if Tim is going to be our guy, we can't do that other crap," Fox said. "We had to tweak it."
Funny thing is...they couldn't do "that other crap" when Orton was in their either.

This team and the "new offense" thrive because of what Fox wanted this team to be: run first, defense second. That "other crap" didn't work because the running game never got going. With Tim Tebow's read option ("Tim thinks he deserves to have these plays in this offense."), it's opening holes.

MasterShake
11-15-2011, 02:22 PM
Good article. I would argue that Fox is matching the offense to the TEAMS strengths not just tebows. The running backs are a bright spot on this team, the O-line looks better run blocking than they do pass blocking (IMO). I think he saw running as this teams strength and went with it. Hope it works out

Totally agree, and when you get your strengths going you can really cover up your weaknesses. In the last two weeks thanks to our ground attack, our defense has been fresh and looks like a swarming, aggressive type D which you love to see.

Mike Klis brought up a good point on the radio the other day that NFL teams have been building their gameplans and personnel on defense to stop the new passer-friendly rules, and the Broncos are going against this trend and giving coordinators fits the last two weeks. How else can you explain our ability to run despite the fact that everyone knows we are going to do it?

All I can say is I like our chances against the Jets because they have a really elite secondary. I sure hope those high priced corners are able to withstand the furious onslaught of passes coming their way! :lol:

EastCoastBronco
11-15-2011, 02:27 PM
Like the article says, there aren't too many coaches that would set their ego aside and adapt like he has.
It's a refreshing change from the McMuffin regime.
I'm no Tebow fanboy but I have always believed that if you use the tools you have the way they were meant to be used then the project goes a lot smoother.
You don't use a screwdriver to drive a nail and you don't use a Tebow in a pass oriented offence...at least not yet.
I have always hoped the kid would get a legitimate shot to lead this team and it appears that is what is happening.

I also believe that what gets missed in all of the Tebowmania is how much the defence and the O-Line have improved.

Hope springs eternal, my friends.

Bring on Dirty Sanchez and the Jets....

catfish
11-15-2011, 02:32 PM
Totally agree, and when you get your strengths going you can really cover up your weaknesses. In the last two weeks thanks to our ground attack, our defense has been fresh and looks like a swarming, aggressive type D which you love to see.

Mike Klis brought up a good point on the radio the other day that NFL teams have been building their gameplans and personnel on defense to stop the new passer-friendly rules, and the Broncos are going against this trend and giving coordinators fits the last two weeks. How else can you explain our ability to run despite the fact that everyone knows we are going to do it?

All I can say is I like our chances against the Jets because they have a really elite secondary. I sure hope those high priced corners are able to withstand the furious onslaught of passes coming their way! :lol:

best analogy I have for this team is boxing. They are like a guy with quick hands in a knockout league. Best idea is to control the fight wear your opponenet out, win by points, may not be as fun to watch as a slugfest, but if you don't have knockout power you are going to get killed in a stand up fight.

Tned
11-15-2011, 02:36 PM
I read this a little while ago. Real interesting. Not sure how I feel in general, in the sense that on the one side they are embracing his running/option skills, but I hope they don't forget to evaluate him as a passer as the year goes on. Knowing Fox's competitive advantage stuff, he doesn't like to give forward looking stuff away.

Also, if you didn't click on the top video in that story (the one showing Fox looking at a video screen), you should. He talks about the one horrible pass that Tebow had in the KC game.

slim
11-15-2011, 02:37 PM
I read this a little while ago. Real interesting. Not sure how I feel in general, in the sense that on the one side they are embracing his running/option skills, but I hope they don't forget to evaluate him as a passer as the year goes on. Knowing Fox's competitive advantage stuff, he doesn't like to give forward looking stuff away.

Also, if you didn't click on the top video in that story (the one showing Fox looking at a video screen), you should. He talks about the one horrible pass that Tebow had in the KC game.

His take on that throw will really surprise some people.

MO, I suggest you go have a listen.

TT15Superman
11-15-2011, 02:42 PM
Like the article says, there aren't too many coaches that would set their ego aside and adapt like he has.
It's a refreshing change from the McMuffin regime.You do understand that this was probably McD's thought all the way? He's the one who drafted two key run components on the OL and the QB.

Regardless of our feelings about McD, I highly doubt that he thought Tebow was the next coming of [insert historic pocket passer here]. He looked at Tebow's strengths, the weaknesses of the NFL's D (the swing towards pass D), and put 2+2 together to believe that he would have an edge with Tebow and a read-run-option-pass game. And yes, I do believe that he felt he could make Tebow a good, proficient passer. Maybe not great, but good.

We'll never really know, but I wouldn't put it past McD to have seen what they were doing in NE (and why) and try to make a run at that philosophy.

[With that said, if the Broncos give up on Tebow, I wouldn't be surprised if Belly isn't watching what's unfolding from afar and thinking to himself about some sort of trade in the coming years. He's smart enough to exploit that weakness in the NFL D all the way to SB victories. I just hope that the Broncos regime can think out of the box also longterm. Problem is, Elway has to stick that wood for "prototypical" back in his pants.]

Tned
11-15-2011, 03:13 PM
His take on that throw will really surprise some people.

MO, I suggest you go have a listen.

Yep. It's a different view of that horrible pass than most of us have.

slim
11-15-2011, 03:16 PM

John Elway thought TT played "very well" in that game. Personally, I thought he played as well as could be expected...still, I thought that throw would be roundly criticized. I guess it was....except by the people that matter.

catfish
11-15-2011, 03:28 PM

thank you for pointing that out, wouldn't have watched that video otherwise. The last 2 interviews I have seen with him make me think that he is seeing real development from Tebow, still a "work in progress" but far from hopeless and not near as bad as many think

lgenf
11-15-2011, 03:41 PM
It's almost like fox thought Orton gave them the best chance to win early on, but Tebow is more like what he wants to run the offense with

G_Money
11-15-2011, 04:08 PM

:lol: I loved how irritated he sounded in the last sentence.

"That's why we've been able to WIN a couple of games, because we're not turning the ball OVER 50 times." :mad:

If Tim can keep from turning the ball over he's gonna be Fox's favorite player soon. Fox already sounds much happier when talking about him. Easier to be happy after wins.

We'll see how he sounds on Friday.

~G

DenBronx
11-15-2011, 10:27 PM
It seems like Fox and John have fully embraced Tim as the QB. Beating Oakland in Oakland was a huge step in the right direction and I think that game alone has caused them to rethink their opinions on a traditional style offense. I have this gut feeling they are working hard on the passing attack and when the time is right they will catch defenses off guard by airing it out.

If TT can get "the other crap" under control he will be a deadly weapon for years to come. I like what Fox said a couple of weeks ago, "We will either revolutionize the game or set it back 15 years." If this works and defenses cant stop us I can see the Broncos changing the game for good. This is a copycat league and I suspect the Eagles are looking in to the success we're having so far.

I think it would do wonders if we got a legit pass catching TE that could be a security blanket that TT could dump off the ball if he had to.

wayninja
11-15-2011, 10:38 PM
This feels more like jumping on the Bandwagon more than anything. If they were that committed to Tebow, he would have been taking first team snaps in pre-season and this 'tweak' of the offense would have occurred week 1 with Tebow as starter and Orton traded for something while he was still worth something.

I'm glad to see that he didn't stick to his guns like a stubborn jackass, but that doesn't mean this was his plan all along either.

TT15Superman
11-15-2011, 10:58 PM
... glad to see that he didn't stick to his guns like a stubborn jackass, but that doesn't mean this was his plan all along either.
it's evident that it wasn't. Look at the quote about the 2nd half of the Detroit game.

Tned
11-15-2011, 11:02 PM
This feels more like jumping on the Bandwagon more than anything. If they were that committed to Tebow, he would have been taking first team snaps in pre-season and this 'tweak' of the offense would have occurred week 1 with Tebow as starter and Orton traded for something while he was still worth something.

I'm glad to see that he didn't stick to his guns like a stubborn jackass, but that doesn't mean this was his plan all along either.

Obviously, it wasn't his plan all along. Tebow failed to win the job in training camp. There wasn't a single camp report from fans or media (local and national) that gave ANY indication that Tebow was the best QB in camp. As average, or below, as Orton is, he still was the Broncos best option coming out of camp.

As to trading Orton, they clearly tried, but there were no takers. Once they were stuck with him and his salary, and with Tebow failing to show anything in camp, they made the obvious call on their starting QB.

I tend to think things would have been different if there hadn't been a lockout. While it's idiocy when people slam Tebow for his book tour, when he clearly was working out hard all off season, the fact is not being able to work with the Broncos coaches and on the offensive gameplan, hurt Tebow possibly more than any other player in the NFL, and certainly any other player on the Broncos. Tebow had a very long way to go to be truly ready to be a starting QB and the lockout really hurt him.

Superchop 7
11-15-2011, 11:07 PM
You do understand that this was probably McD's thought all the way? He's the one who drafted two key run components on the OL and the QB.

Regardless of our feelings about McD, I highly doubt that he thought Tebow was the next coming of [insert historic pocket passer here]. He looked at Tebow's strengths, the weaknesses of the NFL's D (the swing towards pass D), and put 2+2 together to believe that he would have an edge with Tebow and a read-run-option-pass game. And yes, I do believe that he felt he could make Tebow a good, proficient passer. Maybe not great, but good.

We'll never really know, but I wouldn't put it past McD to have seen what they were doing in NE (and why) and try to make a run at that philosophy.

[With that said, if the Broncos give up on Tebow, I wouldn't be surprised if Belly isn't watching what's unfolding from afar a

nd thinking to himself about some sort of trade in the coming years. He's smart enough to exploit that weakness in the NFL D all the way to SB victories. I just hope that the Broncos regime can think out of the box also longterm. Problem is, Elway has to stick that wood for "prototypical" back in his pants.]
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________

I disagree with this......McD wanted Cassel to run his offense. Do you really think Cassel is an option QB? The offense we are running now would have NEVER been a brain child of McD.

Give credit where credit is due......what is going on in Dove Valley is "smart like a fox" .....seriously, I love what they are doing. They are giving us the BEST possible chance to win with the talent on the roster.

It reminds me of the line in "We are Marshall" when the coach throws the playbook in the trash and says "Gentlemen....it is time to sim-pli-fy!"

Superchop 7
11-15-2011, 11:14 PM
When you take that field today, you've got to lay that heart on the line, men. From the souls of your feet, with every ounce of blood you've got in your body, lay it on the line until the final whistle blows.

You understand me? How you play today, from this moment on is how you will be remembered.

wayninja
11-15-2011, 11:16 PM
it's evident that it wasn't. Look at the quote about the 2nd half of the Detroit game.

Sorry, I didn't mean to imply it was his plan, just using hyperbole to say that this 'decision' is probably about 5 games late.