PDA

View Full Version : Should Denver make a run at Arian Foster?

Thestrategist1
11-15-2011, 12:53 PM
With the option game working in Denver should we make a legitimate run at a young proven everydown dual threat running back?

I say yes, it has been a long time since we have had one!!!!

I think we have a shot at him, the Texans have 2nd year sensation Ben Tate riding the bench and Arian Foster is going to require a substantial amount of money. I believe we have a good shot at landing him and what RB wouldnt want to have a great shot at 2,000 yards, as discruntled as WRs might be, RBs would kill each other to play here in this system.

For Lancane: I know he is a restricted FA but the Texans first have to make a reasonable offer, then he has 3 or so weeks to find a better offer, then the Texans have to meet that offer and I just dont see them sitting Tate another year and paying Foster 60 million to remain with them. Thoughts everyone?

weazel
11-15-2011, 12:55 PM
so do you cook up your own meth or just pick it up downtown?

Thestrategist1
11-15-2011, 12:57 PM
so do you cook up your own meth or just pick it up downtown?

I thought it was resonable Idea given our new running game. Foster and McGahee tearin it up every sunday!!!!

MileHighCrew
11-15-2011, 12:59 PM
Try it on Madden and see how it works :)

Northman
11-15-2011, 01:00 PM
Foster isnt going anywhere, if anything Denver should try to make a play for his backup Tate.

Thestrategist1
11-15-2011, 01:11 PM
Try it on Madden and see how it works :)

I have him on Madden and he sucks!!!! Thought it was a good daydream but even us fans cant imagine this team bringing a big name into Denver, we just ship em out!!!! I dont think the Texans will pay him that $$$$$:elefant:

MileHighCrew
11-15-2011, 01:14 PM
I have him on Madden and he sucks!!!! Thought it was a good daydream but even us fans cant imagine this team bringing a big name into Denver, we just ship em out!!!! I dont think the Texans will pay him that $$$$$:elefant:

They will pay him.

Jsteve01
11-15-2011, 01:16 PM
rb = short shelf life. Just say no to big $ for a FA starting back. What you have to find is that second tier guy like a Michael Bush. I just wish McFadden would get healthy so Bush would quit driving his value up.

slim
11-15-2011, 01:17 PM
Maybe Kubes would trade him for Champ Bailey.

Love,

Clay

Thestrategist1
11-15-2011, 01:19 PM
They will pay him.

Explain to me why the Texans will pay him????

They have a 1st rounder sitting on the bench and a well paid FA (Derek Ward) right behind him! we are talkin in upwards of 60 million big ones he will ask for but with the offers comin in, we could be talking about the highest paid RB in the NFL next year and Gary Kubiak is of the Mike Shanahan tutilage, so RBs area dime a dozen.... IDK

Northman
11-15-2011, 01:20 PM

Why do you believe they wont pay him? He's worth every penny.

Thestrategist1
11-15-2011, 01:20 PM
Maybe Kubes would trade him for Champ Bailey.

Love,

Clay

He would be a FA so no trade involved

slim
11-15-2011, 01:23 PM

They have a 1st rounder sitting on the bench and a well paid FA (Derek Ward) right behind him! we are talkin in upwards of 60 million big ones he will ask for but with the offers comin in, we could be talking about the highest paid RB in the NFL next year and Gary Kubiak is of the Mike Shanahan tutilage, so RBs area dime a dozen.... IDK

Who is the 1st round RB they have sitting on the bench?

slim
11-15-2011, 01:23 PM
He would be a FA so no trade involved

He won't be, because Houston will resign him :welcome:

Thestrategist1
11-15-2011, 01:24 PM
Why do you believe they wont pay him? He's worth every penny.

I agree he is worth every penny, I want him on my football team next year!!!!

The reasons why I think they wont pay him are , that they have a 1st round breakout RB in Ben Tate (if he hadnt gotten hurt last year there would be no mention of Foser ever) and they signed Derrick Ward this year and paid him handsomely. plus we are talking 60-80million dollar contract next year.
Thats why I think they will let him go!

Thestrategist1
11-15-2011, 01:24 PM
Who is the 1st round RB they have sitting on the bench?

Ben Tate

slim
11-15-2011, 01:25 PM
Ben Tate

Are you sure?

Northman
11-15-2011, 01:26 PM
Ben Tate

tate was a second rounder.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ben_Tate

Thestrategist1
11-15-2011, 01:27 PM
Ben Tate's Stat's 122att 686yds 5.6ypc avg 3TDs 5cth for 40yds not bad for a 2nd year guy playing 2nd fiddle to Foster and a heavy pass game

Thestrategist1
11-15-2011, 01:29 PM
tate was a second rounder.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ben_Tate

you are right

Northman
11-15-2011, 01:29 PM
Ben Tate's Stat's 122att 686yds 3TDs 5cth for 40yds not bad for a 2nd year guy playing 2nd fiddle to Foster and a heavy pass game

And Foster has 2613 yds rushing, 25 TDs, 1142 yds receiving and 4 TDs in 17 games started.

slim
11-15-2011, 01:31 PM
You make a good point about paying a guy like Foster when they have a "plug-in any back" system.

But Foster is just so dominate, I can't believe they would let him go.

Thestrategist1
11-15-2011, 01:32 PM
And Foster has 2613 yds rushing, 25 TDs, 1142 yds receiving and 4 TDs in 17 games started.

Im not arguing his stats the question is should Denver get into the bid for him I personally would be willing to throw an obsurd offer out there given our current offense of around 100mil for his services. We are not debating whether Foster is great or worth the $$$$, its should the Broncos make a run at him.

GEM
11-15-2011, 01:35 PM
60-80 million contract says he ain't coming to Denver. No way the Broncos pay him that kind of dough.

MileHighCrew
11-15-2011, 01:35 PM

look at his numbers the past year and a half when he is healthy. That is why they pay him. Even Shanny and Kubes knew TD was special , no matter their opinion of RB's in general.

I love the idea, I just don't think there is any chance it would happen

Northman
11-15-2011, 01:36 PM
Im not arguing his stats the question is should Denver get into the bid for him I personally would be willing to throw an obsurd offer out there given our current offense of around 100mil for his services. We are not debating whether Foster is great or worth the $$$$, its should the Broncos make a run at him.

I guess my problem with your thinking (not that i wouldnt mind having Foster) is that Houston would end up paying either Foster or Tate big money to stay as their premier back. Foster is making 525,000 right now, Tate is making 403,000. So either way Houston would end up paying one of those guys big money but i would see them paying Foster more because he's proven more at this point than Tate. Tate to me is expendable and who i think would be shopped before Foster was. I would take either in a heartbeat but i just dont see Houston cutting ties with Foster at this point.

Jsteve01
11-15-2011, 01:37 PM

100 mill for a rb? Seriously? Look at McGahee's numbers this year as a retread. There's no way the Broncs spend that kind of money on Foster.

Thestrategist1
11-15-2011, 01:38 PM
look at his numbers the past year and a half when he is healthy. That is why they pay him. Even Shanny and Kubes knew TD was special , no matter their opinion of RB's in general

well if I was Elway and I decided to continue with this spread option offense, I would make a bid 100mil for him, pay him to tote the rock 25-30x a game and get defenses off Tebows back like TD did for Elway. if the Texans match it then oh well but if they dont I just got potentially one of the greatest dual threat RBs ever and hes 25yrs old, just sayin :beer:

Thestrategist1
11-15-2011, 01:40 PM
60-80 million contract says he ain't coming to Denver. No way the Broncos pay him that kind of dough.

I can Dream tho lol

GEM
11-15-2011, 01:42 PM
I can Dream tho lol

SInce we're dreaming, I want Foster, Suh and Revis. :D

MileHighCrew
11-15-2011, 01:43 PM
well if I was Elway and I decided to continue with this spread option offense, I would make a bid 100mil for him, pay him to tote the rock 25-30x a game and get defenses off Tebows back like TD did for Elway. if the Texans match it then oh well but if they dont I just got potentially one of the greatest dual threat RBs ever and hes 25yrs old, just sayin :beer:

that is assuming Tebow is back as the QB next year.

Thestrategist1
11-15-2011, 01:43 PM
SInce we're dreaming, I want Foster, Suh and Revis. :D

Revis absolutely, Suh Nah (A** hole) and I see a potential shot at Foster

BroncoNut
11-15-2011, 01:44 PM
100 mill for a rb? Seriously? Look at McGahee's numbers this year as a retread. There's no way the Broncs spend that kind of money on Foster.

:lol: At first I thought that you had posted "retard" instead of retread. Read it that way, it's so funny

Thestrategist1
11-15-2011, 01:45 PM
that is assuming Tebow is back as the QB next year.

If he keeps winning then nothing Fox or Elway can do to stop the conundrum they are in and will be forced to start him next year... I see Foxy comin around but Elway still looks mad when we win lmao

GEM
11-15-2011, 01:47 PM
Revis absolutely, Suh Nah (A** hole) and I see a potential shot at Foster

I could give a shit if he's an *******, we are seeing that Von has a mean streak. I'll take a mean, nasty defense any day of the week.

Northman
11-15-2011, 01:47 PM
If he keeps winning then nothing Fox or Elway can do to stop the conundrum they are in and will be forced to start him next year... I see Foxy comin around but Elway still looks mad when we win lmao

Ok Jags.....

Thestrategist1
11-15-2011, 01:49 PM
Ok Jags.....

Now seriously Im not Jags

Thestrategist1
11-15-2011, 01:50 PM
Ok Jags.....

Even the media is starting to recognize this;)

MileHighCrew
11-15-2011, 01:51 PM

If we learned anything from McDaniels as fans, don't think the FO can't do something cause you don't want it to happen. There is a QB in Chicago I was a HUGE fan of and I was pissed when he was traded.
Personally I hope JJ comes out this week and runs crazy all over NY and we have our new young RB.

Thestrategist1
11-15-2011, 01:57 PM
If we learned anything from McDaniels as fans, don't think the FO can't do something cause you don't want it to happen. There is a QB in Chicago I was a HUGE fan of and I was pissed when he was traded.
Personally I hope JJ comes out this week and runs crazy all over NY and we have our new young RB.

At the time that this all started everyone was in favor of letting crybaby Cutler Go, I remember being one of the only people saying WTH are we doing and when we let Marshall Go again everyone was like good ridence, and finally the only outcry I truly heard was when we traded Hillis. Other then him Broncos fans were on board with all of it, til guess what we started losing. I am a big Tebow supporter but every win pushes us further away from getting a top tier QB!!! the top 2 will be gone in the first 3-5 picks after that you get 2nd tier guys and whats that worth in the NFL today...

Thestrategist1
11-15-2011, 01:59 PM

as do I! I sure hope we find an Arian Foster deep down in the practice squad too

weazel
11-15-2011, 02:02 PM

ding ding ding... they sign him.

damn thats a stat line!

Thestrategist1
11-15-2011, 02:04 PM
ding ding ding... They sign him.

Damn thats a stat line!

lol

MOtorboat
11-15-2011, 02:22 PM
He'll be tendered a first, or a first and a third, maybe even a first and a second, if he makes it to RFA.

This team can't afford to give up that for a running back.

MOtorboat
11-15-2011, 02:24 PM

If a player with his rating "sucks" in Madden, it's operator error.

Thestrategist1
11-15-2011, 02:34 PM
If a player with his rating "sucks" in Madden, it's operator error.

Maybe so lmao... As to the tendered part he is a RFA and how that system works is the Texans make an offer, then his agent goes to work and finds a better deal from other teams at which time the Texans have to match that offer and he remains a Texan or he goes to the highest bidder. No first rounder involved its not a trade...

slim
11-15-2011, 02:35 PM
That isn't how it works....at all.

MOtorboat
11-15-2011, 02:38 PM

Yeah, not even close...

slim
11-15-2011, 02:39 PM
Yeah, not even close...

Not unless the new CBA has completely changed the rules...which I highly doubt.

Thestrategist1
11-15-2011, 02:39 PM

Here is a link that shows I am correct.... Look it up

football.about.com/od/football101/g/restrictedFA.htm

slim
11-15-2011, 02:45 PM
Here is a link that shows I am correct.... Look it up

football.about.com/od/football101/g/restrictedFA.htm

Yeah, it pretty much says what MO just said.

If another team signs one of your RFAs, you will recieve draft pick compensation (value of pick depends on tender offer).

OrangeHoof
11-15-2011, 02:50 PM
In the current structure of the NFL, only a fool would rely on one feature RB. Most teams will need 2-3 over the course of the season. Since the Texans' running game sets up their passing attack, no way do they let Foster or Tate leave. I think you have a better chance of landing Mario Williams if you plan on signing a Texans free agent.

Thestrategist1
11-15-2011, 02:50 PM
Yeah, it pretty much says what MO just said.

If another team signs one of your RFAs, you will recieve draft pick compensation (value of pick depends on tender offer).

I didnt see that part my bad

slim
11-15-2011, 02:52 PM
I didnt see that part my bad

It's all good.

But please don't make me defend MO again. It makes me feel dirty.

Thestrategist1
11-15-2011, 03:01 PM
It's all good.

But please don't make me defend MO again. It makes me feel dirty.

Lol, I read exactly what I said and the wording on compensation is kinda vague so who knows what compensation they really get but a 1st would make sence. But given Fosters ablities I would be willing to pay that for him in his prime and the open free market might garnish some guys that fill what we would do in the draft, Maybe

G_Money
11-15-2011, 03:01 PM
I don't expect Foster to go anywhere. If he does, I don't expect us to sign him.

Chris Johnson was a 4 years/$53 mil deal with 30 million guaranteed.

Jamaal Charles signed for 5/$32 with $13 guaranteed.

Foster should fall between the two, so let's say 4/45 with 25 guaranteed?

DT Mebane signed for 5/25 with Seattle, DT Cofield was 6/36 with Washington, and their combined signing bonuses are far less than $25 million.

I could buttress the DL with the top 2 guys on the market for what it would cost to sign Foster, IMO. We've got McGahee, and I can see us adding several UDFAs and a later-round backup for Willis, maybe even another cheap FA.

I can't see us splurging on Foster. If Timmy is still the QB next year it'll be a great offense for RBs, but we'll be doing RB by fleet, not committee. A McGahee + Lance Ball + Tashard Choice + Brandon Bolden-ish look. Throw Rodney Stewart in there as a UDFA, maybe, and potentially a 3rd round back like Martin or Polk if we like them at the spot.

I expect to add several backs to the crash-test-dummy pile (especially since Moreno blew out his knee and might/should be outta here), but Foster isn't one of them.

~G

Thestrategist1
11-15-2011, 03:06 PM
I don't expect Foster to go anywhere. If he does, I don't expect us to sign him.

Chris Johnson was a 4 years/$53 mil deal with 30 million guaranteed.

Jamaal Charles signed for 5/$32 with $13 guaranteed.

Foster should fall between the two, so let's say 4/45 with 25 guaranteed?

DT Mebane signed for 5/25 with Seattle, DT Cofield was 6/36 with Washington, and their combined signing bonuses are far less than $25 million.

I could buttress the DL with the top 2 guys on the market for what it would cost to sign Foster, IMO. We've got McGahee, and I can see us adding several UDFAs and a later-round backup for Willis, maybe even another cheap FA.

I can't see us splurging on Foster. If Timmy is still the QB next year it'll be a great offense for RBs, but we'll be doing RB by fleet, not committee. A McGahee + Lance Ball + Tashard Choice + Brandon Bolden-ish look. Throw Rodney Stewart in there as a UDFA, maybe, and potentially a 3rd round back like Martin or Polk if we like them at the spot.

I expect to add several backs to the crash-test-dummy pile (especially since Moreno blew out his knee and might/should be outta here), but Foster isn't one of them.

~G

I believe Foster will garnish far more money the Chris Johnson could ever wish for, hes a far better back 2nd to only AP when this season is all said and done.

Rick
11-15-2011, 03:09 PM
Houston won't let him go.

Kubiak and Shanny believe in the plug any guy in their system and get a grand...but they also know the difference between the Davis type backs and the Olandis Gary type backs.

One guy can get you to the playoffs and the other to the Superbowl.

I will personally be stoked if we get Michael Bush.

turftoad
11-15-2011, 03:14 PM
At the time that this all started everyone was in favor of letting crybaby Cutler Go, I remember being one of the only people saying WTH are we doing and when we let Marshall Go again everyone was like good ridence, and finally the only outcry I truly heard was when we traded Hillis. Other then him Broncos fans were on board with all of it, til guess what we started losing. I am a big Tebow supporter but every win pushes us further away from getting a top tier QB!!! the top 2 will be gone in the first 3-5 picks after that you get 2nd tier guys and whats that worth in the NFL today...

Everyone? In favor of? Good ridence? Outcry? On board with it all??

Can tell you aren't or havent been a true Bronco fan very long. Or..... follow what the hell really happened. :tsk:

SM19
11-15-2011, 03:34 PM

Because he's the best back in the league.

Thestrategist1
11-15-2011, 03:34 PM
Everyone? In favor of? Good ridence? Outcry? On board with it all??

Can tell you aren't or havent been a true Bronco fan very long. Or..... follow what the hell really happened. :tsk:

Dont doubt my loyalty as a fan ever please atleast show me that respect.... I was here throught the whole dismantaling of this team. There was no outcry when Shanahan was let go out of nowhere and we still had to pay him 20mil to sit on his arse ( I about had a heart atack when they made that anouncement It was the wrong move). Then Came Cutler and Nobody gave a rats ass, I remember clearly the local media playing it up as he was crying and wanted out of Denver. Then Marshall that needed to happen, I didnt object there, then bye bye Hillis, that was when everybody started to truly say WTF has happened to our team and to put a nail in the coffin they almost didnt resign Champ then we got active.

I have been a Broncos fan since 83' I was only 4 at the time so couldnt watch any sooner really, I have a shrine to the broncos that includes, My rookie cards of John Elway, Steve Atwater, Simon Fletcher, Terrel Davis, Karl Mecklenberg, Rod Smith, Brian Griese (yeah I held on to it) The 3 amigos and so on plus my numerous signed pictures and jersy's. I have the 25th anaugural Wheaties box w the Greatest Quaterback evers signature on I was 10 at the time and didnt have the guts to walk up to Elway myself and Froze and My mom had to do it for me. So again please dont question my loyalty to this team.... My greatest moment watching Football was when Elway did the helicopter and the SOB finally did it!!!!!

G_Money
11-15-2011, 03:54 PM
I believe Foster will garnish far more money the Chris Johnson could ever wish for, hes a far better back 2nd to only AP when this season is all said and done.

I think that Johnson being worthless this year for that price tag is gonna make the next team more cautious about how much to pay a RB. Johnson's failure may bring down Foster's price tag...but if it doesn't that's even more reason to hold off on acquiring his services.

We need a lot of help. Is Foster better than McGahee (or Choice or whomever we sign instead of Foster)? Yes.

Is Foster + 2 of our current DTs at basement prices worth more than a cheap RB + 2 top-shelf DL talents and change?

Harder question - I'm voting no.

In baseball I'd rather have the 16 million dollar, 5 WAR talent than the two 8 million dollar guys because there's a farm to get lesser talent from, talent that can blossom, and there are fewer positions to fill. The NFL's farm team is college, and we've been bad at getting cheap farm talent that way recently.

But there are very few high-ticket non QBs, and the NFL runs fine without em. The NFL doesn't have a WAR-type stat that encompasses a DTs value vs. a RB or a WR. So it's still possible to get good interior defensive help on the (relative) cheap, if you can identify talent that works in your scheme.

We still need to do that, IMO. Identify it...and get it. Paying Foster hurts the latter, and I'm not willing to do that.

~G

Thestrategist1
11-15-2011, 04:05 PM
Im not completely disagreeing with you but I would love to have the 2nd best Rb deabtebly the best RB in the league lineup behind my QB in a run heavy offense then what we currently have. I love McGahee but facts are he is 30yrs old and on the downhill side of his career now but playing at a high level.

I thought the aquesition made sence given the current team we are building. I have been all for spending our coveted 1st round pick on interior line help for sure and I would like to see a 3rd spent possibly as well. 2nd on a CB the draft is full of them this year and a few years under Champ would help the young man exstensively. Fox and McCoy have somehow found a winning formula right now for immediate success and if Tebow can show any promise passing the ball which he is, I havent seen a stadium seating missle in 2 games, so defense is where I want us to put our time and effort into during the offseason but it sure would be nice to put our money into a top-tier RB aswell seeing as its gonna be awhile before we truly have a pass game here in Denver drafting a QB this year or not...

ikillz0mbies
11-15-2011, 05:07 PM
Would I love to have Foster on this team? Absolutely, who wouldn't? But at the price that he might command? Nope, not at all. The money used to pay Foster could be used on 2 cheaper options at RB such as Michael Bush and a mid-round RB, and the running game would still thrive. Foster isn't a realistic option in Denver because there's no way the Texans let him go. If anything, Ben Tate is the guy to go. Hell, they could dangle him in a trade and get a 2nd-3rd round pick and still keep Foster.

G_Money
11-15-2011, 05:42 PM
The reason it's hard to justify paying a RB:

Top 20 running backs by yardage

Running back Yards years in the league
Jackson 917 five
McCoy 906 three
Forte 869 four
Jones-Drew 854 six
Peterson 846 five
Turner 788 eight
Gore 782 seven
Foster 740 three
Jackson 707 eight
Tate 686 two
Murray 674 one
McGahee 640 nine
McFadden 614 four
Benson 593 seven
Wells 588 three
Greene 563 three
Rice 559 four
Matthews 543 two
Vick 535 QUARTERBACK
Mendenhall 517 four

Average years of experience before a player hits the FA market? 4-5 years.
Number of backs in the top 20 with more than 5 years experience? SIX.

Average length of contract for high priced FA? 4-5 years.
Number of backs who are still in the top 20 after 8 years? ONE - ours.

RB is a young man's game, for the most part. There are exceptions, and you hope that if you pay a RB all that money that he's the exception. Most aren't, that's why they're the rule.

And the rule is: "Never invest > 10% of your payroll in the position with the lowest life expectancy." You can build an offense around a QB, as the rules tend to protect them. You can build around a running SCHEME, provided it works with multiple backs so that one injury doesn't destroy your season. But building around a RB is risky business, especially with that kind of monetary investment.

It's right next to this rule: "Never invest > 10% of your payroll in a part-time, situational player." We already broke that rule with Dumervil.

Can't afford to break the other one for Foster. Just add a bunch of RBs and see who works out. We need more than one anyway, and they're much cheaper in the draft. Most of the guys on this list are in their rookie contracts.

Top-level production + bargain prices = a formula for success. :salute: Just gotta find the right one(s). :lol:

~G

Thestrategist1
11-15-2011, 06:04 PM
The reason it's hard to justify paying a RB:

Top 20 running backs by yardage

Running back Yards years in the league
Jackson 917 five
McCoy 906 three
Forte 869 four
Jones-Drew 854 six
Peterson 846 five
Turner 788 eight
Gore 782 seven
Foster 740 three
Jackson 707 eight
Tate 686 two
Murray 674 one
McGahee 640 nine
McFadden 614 four
Benson 593 seven
Wells 588 three
Greene 563 three
Rice 559 four
Matthews 543 two
Vick 535 QUARTERBACK
Mendenhall 517 four

Average years of experience before a player hits the FA market? 4-5 years.
Number of backs in the top 20 with more than 5 years experience? SIX.

Average length of contract for high priced FA? 4-5 years.
Number of backs who are still in the top 20 after 8 years? ONE - ours.

RB is a young man's game, for the most part. There are exceptions, and you hope that if you pay a RB all that money that he's the exception. Most aren't, that's why they're the rule.

And the rule is: "Never invest > 10% of your payroll in the position with the lowest life expectancy." You can build an offense around a QB, as the rules tend to protect them. You can build around a running SCHEME, provided it works with multiple backs so that one injury doesn't destroy your season. But building around a RB is risky business, especially with that kind of monetary investment.

It's right next to this rule: "Never invest > 10% of your payroll in a part-time, situational player." We already broke that rule with Dumervil.

Can't afford to break the other one for Foster. Just add a bunch of RBs and see who works out. We need more than one anyway, and they're much cheaper in the draft. Most of the guys on this list are in their rookie contracts.

Top-level production + bargain prices = a formula for success. :salute: Just gotta find the right one(s). :lol:

~G

you are correct, I conceed my points

dogfish
11-15-2011, 08:11 PM
Should Denver make a run at Arian Foster?

of course not. . . as G explained, it's just not cost effective. . .

far smarter to invest your top resources building a good line that any decent back can run behind. . . there are plenty of good backs to be found in the draft from rounds 2-5, sometimes even later. . . more often than not you still need to take a guy in the top 50-60 picks to get a true elite runner, but with a good line you can be plenty effective with a stable of decent backs (you're welcome, dread). . .

would i still rather have a real difference-making back? of course, but there's no point going all-in to acquire one when you don't have your quarterback ready. . . and even if you think tebow will eventually be ready, we still need to build a team around him. . . if we go after any big-time free agents (we probably won't-- you notice how much we spent last year?), we'd be best served getting a right tackle, a DT or a cornerback. . . running back is hands down THE easiest plug and play position-- we can always come back and take a back in the 1st once some of the more gaping holes are filled, but a late round speed threat is probably more our speed this off-season. . . and probably a much lower-profile FA to add depth. . .

DenBronx
11-15-2011, 10:08 PM
I agree that Denver needs a big time RB, however we have zero chance Foster will come here. We have a better shot at getting Matt Forte and would come a little cheaper but will still be expensive.

For those of you bitching about money should relax because A. It's not YOUR money and B. We are in the bottom 5 cap and next year we have to spend 99% of the cap.

Willis McGahee looks like a beast in our running game but how long will those old legs hold up? I would love for him to stay healthy here another 4 years but with the physical demands it will put on his body I just don't see him playing a full 16+ games every year. I would think P. Hillis would be much cheaper and yet do just as good as McGahee on this team.

We will draft a RB at some point next year though and possibly deal Moreno to someone like St Louis for whatever we can get.

Shazam!
11-15-2011, 10:28 PM
I think Denver should Draft a couple of late round Backs and take it from there. No expensive FA's with the constant threat of injury that surrounds the position.

DenBronx
11-15-2011, 10:34 PM
I think Denver should Draft a couple of late round Backs and take it from there. No expensive FA's with the constant threat of injury that surrounds the position.

That approach will most likely fill our roster with more Lance Balls.

Shazam!
11-15-2011, 10:56 PM
That approach will most likely fill our roster with more Lance Balls.

How about TD?

WARHORSE
11-15-2011, 11:14 PM
We need an all around back like Foster, but its all been said here already.

He has one shot and one shot only at a big contract, so he wont be coming here.

Not sure targeting a FA RB is the right direction to go.

All the reasons have been stated.

What will Denver draft in the upcoming draft?

RB will definitely be one of the targets, but I hope and pray we stick to our guns and draft guys that we think can come in and start with the top three picks.

Bama back Richardson will probably be there, or James if we went that route.

Speaking for myself, Im hoping we get some more defensive help.

We have the beginnings of a killer D.

I want another impact player on defense, regardless of position.

If we go corner, then Champ moves to safety.