PDA

View Full Version : Shotgun QB Keeper Formation

ydave77
11-15-2011, 12:25 PM
http://sinfl.files.wordpress.com/2011/11/tebow3.jpg?w=600&h=300

The above formation comes from 2nd and Goal, where Tebow ran a keeper for the TD.

I wonder why don't we split our WRs out wider. The Chiefs have 8 in the box, despite us not having any RB/FB.

Royal, and Thomas/Decker? are all close to the middle of the field.

If we split Royal and the other WR's out further towards the sidelines, the Chiefs have to at least keep a man on them.
The LB on the far left of the picture is probably responsible for Royal, but he is lined up nearer to the ball, because he is shading towards playing the run. If Royal is lined up wider, he will be pulled further towards the sideline, and less in a position to make a play.
The same for the LB/Safety's responsible for coverage of the other receivers near the center of the field. The further they get pulled to the sideline, the less they are in position to make the tackle.

If the defense leaves someone unaccounted and continue to shade towards the middle of the field, you throw a quick wr screen, and they walk in for a TD.
If they dont then the defenders are in less of a position to make a play on the QB keeper.

Any thoughts?

*And yes I understand the play went for a TD, but it doesnt mean there is no room for improvement. There is probably a reason I am missing, why we dont split them out wider, but I'd love to hear any thoughts...

TXBRONC
11-15-2011, 12:40 PM
http://sinfl.files.wordpress.com/2011/11/tebow3.jpg?w=600&h=300

The above formation comes from 2nd and Goal, where Tebow ran a keeper for the TD.

I wonder why don't we split our WRs out wider. The Chiefs have 8 in the box, despite us not having any RB/FB.

Royal, and Thomas/Decker? are all close to the middle of the field.

If we split Royal and the other WR's out further towards the sidelines, the Chiefs have to at least keep a man on them.
The LB on the far left of the picture is probably responsible for Royal, but he is lined up nearer to the ball, because he is shading towards playing the run. If Royal is lined up wider, he will be pulled further towards the sideline, and less in a position to make a play.
The same for the LB/Safety's responsible for coverage of the other receivers near the center of the field. The further they get pulled to the sideline, the less they are in position to make the tackle.

If the defense leaves someone unaccounted and continue to shade towards the middle of the field, you throw a quick wr screen, and they walk in for a TD.
If they dont then the defenders are in less of a position to make a play on the QB keeper.

Any thoughts?

*And yes I understand the play went for a TD, but it doesnt mean there is no room for improvement. There is probably a reason I am missing, why we dont split them out wider, but I'd love to hear any thoughts...

Dave I count seven in the box.

Dave the defensive backs only have to cover about 18 yards so really not a lot a room to operate.

MOtorboat
11-15-2011, 12:43 PM
The defenders aren't spread out because everyone and their dog knew it was a quarterback draw. I, live, mistakenly yelled, draw left...it was draw right. I commend Tebow for getting into the endzone on that one, because it was obvious.

ydave77
11-15-2011, 12:57 PM
Dave I count seven in the box.

Dave the defensive backs only have to cover about 18 yards so really not a lot a room to operate.

I counted the DB at the top of the picture, though technically you're right, he is outside "the box". My thought is he could be wider/further out.

In terms of distance, just further towards the sidelines seems better, when you are running the QB keeper.

And if the two wideouts near the right tackle, to were split further wide, they would drag a defender with them.

ydave77
11-15-2011, 01:00 PM
The defenders aren't spread out because everyone and their dog knew it was a quarterback draw. I, live, mistakenly yelled, draw left...it was draw right. I commend Tebow for getting into the endzone on that one, because it was obvious.

Yes everyone knew it, but lets say you have them split wider out, and you see the LB or safety covering Thomas or Decker stays towards the middle of the field, rather than covering them closer to the sideline.

Tebow throws a quick one step smoke route, and they walk in for the TD that way.

OrangeHoof
11-15-2011, 01:12 PM
Anytime I see Tebow and an empty backfield, I presume QB draw and so should the defense. Splitting the receivers further out would have only made the obvious even more obvious. If the LBs split further wide, a two-step QB draw up the middle is there for the taking.

Until Tebow gets good at some other option off that formation, (remember he did the jump pass at Florida), I'd expect some type of QB run whenever they go empty backfield in the red zone.

ydave77
11-15-2011, 01:25 PM
Anytime I see Tebow and an empty backfield, I presume QB draw and so should the defense. Splitting the receivers further out would have only made the obvious even more obvious. If the LBs split further wide, a two-step QB draw up the middle is there for the taking.

Until Tebow gets good at some other option off that formation, (remember he did the jump pass at Florida), I'd expect some type of QB run whenever they go empty backfield in the red zone.

If they dont split further wide, dont you have an uncovered man, then throw a smoke route (easily audibled) for an easy 5-6 yrd pickup (or more)?

MOtorboat
11-15-2011, 01:28 PM
If they dont split further wide, dont you have an uncovered man, then throw a smoke route (easily audibled) for an easy 5-6 yrd pickup (or more)?

Can Tebow make that throw?

slim
11-15-2011, 01:33 PM

Yes, 45% of the time :welcome:

ydave77
11-15-2011, 01:36 PM

I think so. It is not a timing route, the player isnt in motion. Its a simple take 1-2 steps back throw to the receiver showing his hands.
I believe he can, but if he can't do it yet, with practice, he should be able to.

The timing stuff, going through progressions, reading defenses, I don't know where Tebow will fall. But hitting a stationary receiver at the line of scrimmage, before the chance of any rush, can be practiced until it is perfected.

catfish
11-15-2011, 02:17 PM
my guess is they want more defenders in the box to keep the difficulty level up so Tebow doesn't get bored and lose interest. Thursday they will probably only put 9 guys on the field on 3rd and goal situations just to keep it interesting :D

TT15Superman
11-15-2011, 02:26 PM
Can't wait for Tebow's "fake run" step forward like he did at Florida. It will freeze the CBs and LBs, and the throwing will open up.

OrangeHoof
11-15-2011, 02:38 PM
If the LBs bunch in that formation, the right audible for most offenses would be a skinny slant-in to the slot receiver about 2-4 yards upfield. But most teams now have TEs with better hands than ours. Tebow had Aaron Hernandez at Florida but he doesn't have a TE with good hands now.

battherastard
11-15-2011, 07:00 PM
They should put a back next to Tebow to make the defense think he might be staying in to pass block.

Ravage!!!
11-15-2011, 07:11 PM
Can't wait for Tebow's "fake run" step forward like he did at Florida. It will freeze the CBs and LBs, and the throwing will open up.

Oh crap.. I hope to god we don't bring in that stupid step on every play.

Its not the need for the pass to "open up" that is the problem. Its Tebow hitting the open that is the problem.