PDA

View Full Version : The Facts Are In - This Team SUCKS!!

Broncos Mtnman
10-07-2007, 10:10 PM
Remember last week when I said the game against the Colts was over at halftime? I wish this week would have been at least that good.

Sadly, after a fumbled kickoff in the first quarter gave the Chargers a second TD in 11 seconds, you had a sense that this game was over before the last second of the first quarter ticked off the clock.

This team really is as bad as advertised. There's nothing special about the special teams - There's no defense for the defense - And the offense is just that..... offensive.

This loss ended with the largest losing margin in the Shanahan era as the Broncos head coach, and it was the worst loss at home since the 1970 AFL-NFL merger. It was also the worst home loss since the Kansas City Chiefs' 56-10 thumping on Oct. 23, 1966.

This week's 4 downs....

Most Glaring Weaknesses (I could almost paste and clip these)

1st - Poor Secondary play. Phillip Rivers averaged over 20 yards per completion today. He completed 72% of his attempts. He had a passer rating of 151.4. All of these were season highs for him. Perhaps the biggest bust of a play that demonstrates how pathetic the pass defense was today was on the 2nd and 33 play where Rivers completed a 45 yard pass.

2nd - Run defense. Please tell me how you allow over 200 yards in rushing defense for the third time in the first 5 games. (In one of the other two games against the Jags they surrendered 186). Please tell me how you can allow some of the big runs the Chargers got near the end of the game when all they were doing was running out the clock (see Michael Turner).

3rd - Fumbles... dropped passes... Interception... It all started with the kickoff fumble by Clark and ended with Cutler extending his streak of consecutive games with an INT to 10. I hear Brandon Marshall is upset with the fans for leaving early. Perhaps if he hadn't fumbled inside the 9 yard line when the Broncos were only down by 14, the fans would have had a reason to stick around.

4th - Play calling and team chemistry. Shanny (or Heimerdinger) were pathetic with playcalling. San Diego had the 29th ranked defense against the pass coming into today's game, yet it seemed like the ball was taken from Cutler's hands. I know we love to run, but Shanny used to be the "guru" in creating mismatches against the opposing team's weaknesses. I haven't seen it over the past three losses.

The Good Things (this was pretty hard with a game like this one)

1st - Tony Scheffler. It appears he's is back from his injury. It took an injury to Nate Jackson for him to get a chance, but he came through on a couple of big first down pass catches, and he had a blocked punt on special teams. It sure would be sweet to see the Cutler to Scheffler connection return after the bye.

2nd - Glenn Martinez. He did a great job playing the slot position today, catching 6 passes for 70 yards. He also had a very nice punt return, showing that we might have an answer in that area.

3rd - Brandon Marshall. He has the privilege of appearing in both the good and the bad this week. He did a decent job of playing the #1 receiver, netting 7 catches for 72 yards. If only he didn't have that key fumble....

4th - 3rd down conversions, going 6 for 13.

It appears the bye week will be needed. Several key players were injured today, including Champ Bailey and Brandon Stokley. When you add Javon's second consecutive missed game, the rest will be welcome.

As I have already stated, this team sucks. There's not a catagory anywhere over the past few weeks that would give the average fan reason to think that this year's edition of the Denver Broncos will finish the season better than .500 (playoffs...... PLAYOFFS??) /Jim Mora rant....

Hey, at least with the bye week, the defense won't give up another 200+ yards rushing next Sunday...

silkamilkamonico
10-07-2007, 10:50 PM
It's a very good breakdown Mtn Man.

What concerns me the most is it seems the team is full of gutless players who don't play with any sense of urgency, or pride.

And for as much as our offense has been struggling, I'm specifically talking about the defense and the special teams.

topscribe
10-07-2007, 11:35 PM
Oh how I love to argue with you, Mtnman.

But you didn't give me anything to argue about . . . :Cry:

-----

Uncle Buck
10-07-2007, 11:47 PM
Remember last week when I said the game against the Colts was over at halftime? I wish this week would have been at least that good.

Sadly, after a fumbled kickoff in the first quarter gave the Chargers a second TD in 11 seconds, you had a sense that this game was over before the last second of the first quarter ticked off the clock.

This team really is as bad as advertised. There's nothing special about the special teams - There's no defense for the defense - And the offense is just that..... offensive.

This loss ended with the largest losing margin in the Shanahan era as the Broncos head coach, and it was the worst loss at home since the 1970 AFL-NFL merger. It was also the worst home loss since the Kansas City Chiefs' 56-10 thumping on Oct. 23, 1966.

This week's 4 downs....

1st - Poor Secondary play. Phillip Rivers averaged over 20 yards per completion today. He completed 72% of his attempts. He had a passer rating of 151.4. All of these were season highs for him. Perhaps the biggest bust of a play that demonstrates how pathetic the pass defense was today was on the 2nd and 33 play where Rivers completed a 45 yard pass.

2nd - Run defense. Please tell me how you allow over 200 yards in rushing defense for the third time in the first 5 games. (In one of the other two games against the Raiders they surrendered 186). Please tell me how you can allow some of the big runs the Chargers got near the end of the game when all they were doing was running out the clock (see Michael Turner).

3rd - Fumbles... dropped passes... Interception... It all started with the kickoff fumble by Clark and ended with Cutler extending his streak of consecutive games with an INT to 10. I hear Brandon Marshall is upset with the fans for leaving early. Perhaps if he hadn't fumbled inside the 9 yard line when the Broncos were only down by 14, the fans would have had a reason to stick around.

4th - Play calling and team chemistry. Shanny (or Heimerdinger) were pathetic with playcalling. San Diego had the 29th ranked defense against the pass coming into today's game, yet it seemed like the ball was taken from Cutler's hands. I know we love to run, but Shanny used to be the "guru" in creating mismatches against the opposing team's weaknesses. I haven't seen it over the past three losses.

1st - Tony Scheffler. It appears he's is back from his injury. It took an injury to Nate Jackson for him to get a chance, but he came through on a couple of big first down pass catches, and he had a blocked punt on special teams. It sure would be sweet to see the Cutler to Scheffler connection return after the bye.

2nd - Glenn Martinez. He did a great job playing the slot position today, catching 6 passes for 70 yards. He also had a very nice punt return, showing that we might have an answer in that area.

3rd - Brandon Marshall. He has the priviledge of appearing in both the good and the bad this week. He did a decent job of playing the #1 receiver, netting 7 catches for 72 yards. If only he didn't have that key fumble....

It appears the bye week will be needed. Several key players were injured today, including Champ Bailey and Brandon Stokley. When you add Javon's second consecutive missed game, the rest will be welcome.

As I have already stated, this team sucks. There's not a catagory anywhere over the past few weeks that would give the average fan reason to think that this year's edition of the Denver Broncos will finish the season better than .500 (playoffs...... PLAYOFFS??) /Jim Mora rant....

Hey, at least with the bye week, the defense won't give up another 200+ yards rushing next Sunday...

Great post, mtnman. I'd buy wilderness prop from you any day of the week!

Go rockies!

broncosfanscott
10-08-2007, 01:37 AM

This week's 4 downs....

2nd - Run defense. Please tell me how you allow over 200 yards in rushing defense for the third time in the first 5 games. (In one of the other two games against the Raiders they surrendered 186). Please tell me how you can allow some of the big runs the Chargers got near the end of the game when all they were doing was running out the clock (see Michael Turner).

3rd - Brandon Marshall. He has the priviledge of appearing in both the good and the bad this week. He did a decent job of playing the #1 receiver, netting 7 catches for 72 yards. If only he didn't have that key fumble....

Good post and nice breakdown.

We can't even stop the run when they are trying to run out the clock......Pathetic.

Of the few good points, I am happy to see that Scheffler was able catch some passes today and even block a punt.

frenchfan
10-08-2007, 06:13 AM
The saddiest part of your post MntMan is that I AGREE with you ... :ahhhhh: :laugh:

j/k (and after all, it's not P&R... LOL)

You told everything... We suck... We have no D (and our best defender, Champ is out)... Our special teams has nothing special but its mediocrity...
Our O can't score points...

And oh... MntMan... You forgot 1 thing about the good news part of your post... We'll have a high pick in the next draft ;) ... Very good news if you ask me.

Requiem / The Dagda
10-08-2007, 09:55 AM
Might want to consider a crappy pass rush for a bad pass defense, also the injuries as well.

Retired_Member_001
10-08-2007, 10:30 AM

I could not possibly agree more.

SBboundBRONCOS
10-08-2007, 12:25 PM
besides our terrible 3rd down conversions look at the other side of the ball

SD went 6 or 7 for 10 tries, and most probably came on a run, its just sad

Medford Bronco
10-08-2007, 03:43 PM
Great post Mtn Man

I agree with you wholheardedly

I would have had zero postives though as there was nothing but bad in that game

Also we need to have an acutual zero turnover game.

when was the last time that happened.

a long time ago. maybe before Jay was QB. Not all TOs were him obviously but he needs
to get rid of the one poor int a game. IMO

this team is going to be at best 6-10 and if I get flamed oh well.

I am being honest. I have been a fan for a long time and not felt like this since 92 when we sucked as well and that year we still had Elway so the next year we rebounded to a 9-7 season I think

Jaws
10-08-2007, 04:29 PM
I thought the cheerleaders were good!

East Coast Fan
10-08-2007, 06:44 PM
It was a pretty close game until the kickoff.

Medford Bronco
10-08-2007, 06:46 PM
It was a pretty close game until the kickoff.

it was 0-0 for almost 4 mintues of the 1st Qtr lol

cant we just say this team is bad and not sugar coat it.

People get all defensive and say we are not "true fans" which is crap i say.

I am more passionated than most about sports but can see reality as well.

East Coast Fan
10-08-2007, 06:57 PM
People get all defensive and say we are not "true fans" which is crap i say.

I am more passionated than most about sports but can see reality as well.

Check out post # 23 on the "I can't believe how easily some Bronco fans fold".

Crush05
10-09-2007, 12:28 PM
Hey mtnman,
I agree with you on the issues. I think you missed one thing though!!! Cutler is stepping up and trying to fill a huge hole nobody else is willing to fill. I feel he is becoming a leader and with all of this I only think he can get better if the team would only get better as a whole now. By the way can anyone explain to me why we have Bly again?:ahhhhh::tsk:

This week's 4 downs....

2nd - Run defense. Please tell me how you allow over 200 yards in rushing defense for the third time in the first 5 games. (In one of the other two games against the Jags they surrendered 186). Please tell me how you can allow some of the big runs the Chargers got near the end of the game when all they were doing was running out the clock (see Michael Turner).

3rd - Brandon Marshall. He has the privilege of appearing in both the good and the bad this week. He did a decent job of playing the #1 receiver, netting 7 catches for 72 yards. If only he didn't have that key fumble....

OB
10-09-2007, 01:17 PM
I thought the cheerleaders were good!

My ex was at the game and thats exactly what he said was the only good thing our team had :laugh:

I think we have some talent but for some reason we are not gelling as a team - kinda like the yanks - :mad:

We have a young offense with Cutler, Scheffler, Marshall - some vets but new to the team - we have Javon having to get over DWill - we have many injuries

Maybe, just maybe we can start to pull things together :pray:

I mean how can you have players like, Bly, Bailey and Lynch, DJ on your D and have such a bad D :confused:

Heres to Mike putting a foot up some major arses this off-week either that or Bowlen can pull a Steinbrenner

Medford Bronco
10-09-2007, 01:26 PM
I mean how can you have players like, Bly, Bailey and Lynch, DJ on your D and have such a bad D :confused:

of these players you did not mention one defensive lineman

therein lies the major problem with this club

OB
10-09-2007, 02:04 PM
of these players you did not mention one defensive lineman

therein lies the major problem with this club

Exactly what I was thinking when I made that post - but I also thought - ok we have a young offense trying to gel and an old and banged up OLine - by the time we replace our OLine and they gel - will cutler and the rest of the offense be getting old - and we get into this vicious cycle of never having everyone on the same page (sort of ) same with the D - now we have a secondary and no DLine - by the time we fill the Dline gap - at least bailey and Lynch will be way past their best years and we will be back to a young inexperienced secondary

And a big gaping question is why does our ST always suck so bad these last few years? it seems to be an issue that the DB never address seriously enough, but I also hate when they put starters out on ST's due to the increase injury factor -

Its the damn salary cap - if everyone could just be like george - oh wait - you cant buy a championship can you :mad: - oh well maybe if the Sux win it all since they are 2nd only to the Yanks in payroll ;)