PDA

View Full Version : McDaniels looking at Mike Nolan, DC

Tebow4Ever
01-12-2009, 12:11 AM
http://blogs.nfl.com/2009/01/12/mike-nolan-bound-for-denver-too/

Adam Schefter (http://blogs.nfl.com/category/adam-schefter/)
Mike Nolan bound for Denver, too (http://blogs.nfl.com/2009/01/12/mike-nolan-bound-for-denver-too/)

Posted: Adam Schefter (http://blogs.nfl.com/category/adam-schefter/) | Adam Schefter | Tags: Adam Schefter (http://blogs.nfl.com/tag/adam-schefter/), Denver Broncos (http://blogs.nfl.com/tag/denver-broncos/), Josh McDaniels (http://blogs.nfl.com/tag/josh-mcdaniels/), Mike Nolan (http://blogs.nfl.com/tag/mike-nolan/)
Now that the Broncos have agreed to hire Patriots offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels as head coach, he has begun to piece together his staff.
McDaniels’ most significant hire will be his defensive coordinator. And Denver’s new defensive coordinator is expected to be former 49ers head coach Mike Nolan, a Broncos source confirmed Sunday night.
Nolan interviewed for the Packers’ job last week, but he will take the Broncos’ job, returning him to the city where he once coached under Dan Reeves and Wade Phillips.

Posted in: Adam Schefter (http://blogs.nfl.com/category/adam-schefter/) | ShareThis (javascript:void(0))

NightTrainLayne
01-12-2009, 12:13 AM
So. . .about 3 hours since the McDaniels hire broke, and no less than 3 reports of 3 different DC's he's bringing in. I think I'll just wait for an announcement.

Zweems56
01-12-2009, 12:15 AM
Lol. Any of the three would be pretty sweet IMHO, but Nolan would be my top choice of them

ikillz0mbies
01-12-2009, 12:20 AM
This report probably made G do backflips. Anyway, I think it's wonderful that McDaniels is looking at quality DC's, not scrubs. Names like Capers, McDermott, and Nolan shows that he's committed to fixing an atrocious Denver defense. I was on the Spagnuolo train and against the McDaniels train, but since he's addressing the D as the number one priority, I'm on board.

Tebow4Ever
01-12-2009, 12:20 AM
I dont remember Nolan much as a DC, just that he had been. Was he pretty good? I know he spent some time in Denver.

Zweems56
01-12-2009, 12:21 AM
I dont remember Nolan much as a DC, just that he had been. Was he pretty good? I know he spent some time in Denver.

He was the DC of the ravens from 02-04

JONtheBRONCO
01-12-2009, 12:25 AM
Denver Broncos
(linebackers coach)

New York Giants
(defensive coordinator)

Washington Redskins
(defensive coordinator)

New York Jets
(defensive coordinator)

Baltimore Ravens
(wide receivers coach (2001), defensive coordinator)

San Francisco 49ers
(head coach)

sneakers
01-12-2009, 12:27 AM
Doesn't Mike Nolan always wear suits on the sideline?

Zweems56
01-12-2009, 12:27 AM

I'm pretty sure they put a rule in where he could wear a suit on the sideline once a season in tribute to his father.

Zweems56
01-12-2009, 12:29 AM
In the new NFL policy, coaches were allowed to wear a full suit for only two home games per season. The suits were designed, marketed and labeled under the Reebok corporation.

After further lobbying on the part of Nolan, the NFL and Reebok reached an agreement to allow suits to be worn at all home games in the 2007 season.

Watchthemiddle
01-12-2009, 12:30 AM
In the new NFL policy, coaches were allowed to wear a full suit for only two home games per season. The suits were designed, marketed and labeled under the Reebok corporation.

After further lobbying on the part of Nolan, the NFL and Reebok reached an agreement to allow suits to be worn at all home games in the 2007 season.

SWEET, I thought he looked pretty sharp wearing it, and think all of our coaches should.

It might be hard though for McDaniels to not do the hoodie though...:laugh:

CrazyHorse
01-12-2009, 12:30 AM

Suit wearer with sweatshirt boy?

JKcatch724
01-12-2009, 12:31 AM
YES! Nolan has an awesome eye for defensive talent

PatricktheDookie
01-12-2009, 12:33 AM

Then why the heck would he come here?

JKcatch724
01-12-2009, 12:34 AM
Then why the heck would he come here?

To GET some :laugh:

Tebow4Ever
01-12-2009, 12:36 AM
this is going to be a very exciting offseason, That defense is going to wind up getting totally stripped IMO.

Watchthemiddle
01-12-2009, 12:37 AM
this is going to be a very exciting offseason, That defense is going to wind up getting totally stripped IMO.

If thats the case, I won't be losing any sleep over it.

JKcatch724
01-12-2009, 12:37 AM

WARHORSE
01-12-2009, 12:38 AM
You know, I THOUGHT it was kinda funny that Nolan went from being the pretty much decided new coordinator of GB, to falling off the map.

Now we know why.

honz
01-12-2009, 01:06 AM
I'd love to have Nolan as our DC.

Shazam!
01-12-2009, 01:30 AM
The Rocky reported in the McDaniels hiring article that Dom Capers is expected to be DC, which I think would be awesome. I'll wait for an official confirmation. This could be done Monday or Tuesday. Being the most precious need behind a Coach obviously, they'll waste no time.

Cheez Whiz
01-12-2009, 01:31 AM
Mike Nolan would be a great choice to run this defense, even better than Dom Capers. McDaniels and Nolan?

Wow. Bowlen scores big if he pulls it off.

Shazam!
01-12-2009, 01:44 AM
Either one will do. I think (and hope) he'll rape the Patriots staff too.

Nowin
01-12-2009, 02:08 AM
lol you guys are going to have tons of fun discovering the Big Nickel with Nolan :lol:

LordTrychon
01-12-2009, 02:14 AM
lol you guys are going to have tons of fun discovering the Big Nickel with Nolan :lol:

Welcome...

Where you from/who are you a fan of? (You said 'you guys')

We first ran a 'Big Nickel' about 5 years ago, I think. :salute:

Watchthemiddle
01-12-2009, 02:15 AM
Welcome...

Where you from/who are you a fan of? (You said 'you guys')

We first ran a 'Big Nickel' about 5 years ago, I think. :salute:

I'm guessing he is a Nolan hater...with the name of Nowin

JONtheBRONCO
01-12-2009, 02:16 AM
It's Nolan.

Shazam!
01-12-2009, 02:20 AM
"Two Broncos players said Sunday night they had been told Dom Capers would be the team's new defensive coach..."- The Rocky

http://www.rockymountainnews.com/news/2009/jan/11/capers-likely-be-broncos-defensive-coordinator/

We got the Coach. I'll wait to see who the DC is.

Nowin
01-12-2009, 02:26 AM
I'm guessing he is a Nolan hater...with the name of Nowin

oh don't worry you guys will be haters too... :rolleyes:

Watchthemiddle
01-12-2009, 02:28 AM

So are you a hater under his defensive coaching abilities, or as a Head Coach?

Shazam!
I want Capers. But this speculation is getting worse than the HC speculation!

Watchthemiddle
I want Capers. But this speculation is getting worse than the HC speculation!

I believe that if Shefter is reporting Nolin, then thats the case. He is not wrong very often...if ever.

JKcatch724
01-12-2009, 02:29 AM

Bitter Niners fan?

Nowin
01-12-2009, 02:32 AM
So are you a hater under his defensive coaching abilities, or as a Head Coach?

Both, his coordinating abilities are severely overrated.

topscribe
01-12-2009, 02:35 AM
To GET some :laugh:

Ummm . . . you mean defensive talent, of course, right? :look:

-----

JKcatch724
01-12-2009, 03:25 AM
Ummm . . . you mean defensive talent, of course, right? :look:

-----

LOL yea. But if the women of Denver like well dressed men who knows?? :salute:

Italianmobstr7
01-12-2009, 03:37 AM
Hell we might get both. Nolan could be the D coordinator, and Capers could be like a DB coach or something. Either way, if Schefter is reporting that we're getting Nolan, then that's what I'm going with. I can't remember a time when he's been wrong.

Italianmobstr7
01-12-2009, 03:42 AM
http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_main.aspx?sport=NFL&hl=137763&id=1966

Citing a team source, NFL.com's Adam Schefter reports that ex-49ers head coach Mike Nolan is expected to be the Broncos' next defensive coordinator.
The Josh McDaniels era has begun with misinformation his mentor would be proud of. The Denver Post reported Dom Capers would replace Bob Slowik, but Schefter has never been wrong about the team he once covered. Nolan is choosing the Broncos over Green Bay, where he was considered the heavy favorite to land as defensive coordinator as recently as Friday.

muse
01-12-2009, 05:43 AM
I know Nolan can run either the 4-3 or the 3-4 effectively. So at least I know that he'll make the right choice for what he thinks the team can do.

Traveler
01-12-2009, 06:44 AM
I'm waiting to find out who the DL coach(es) will be.

UnderArmour
01-12-2009, 06:56 AM
Uh oh... If Schefter is wrong that means the new Bill Belichick secrecy system is already in place. There will be no injury reports anymore guys. Expect Jay Cutler to go into every week with an arm injury, Brandon Marshall to be on the list with a hand injury, but Champ Bailey to be left off the list and be inactive.

fcspikeit
01-12-2009, 07:04 AM
Uh oh... If Schefter is wrong that means the new Bill Belichick secrecy system is already in place. There will be no injury reports anymore guys. Expect Jay Cutler to go into every week with an arm injury, Brandon Marshall to be on the list with a hand injury, but Champ Bailey to be left off the list and be inactive.

If it helps us win 3 Superbowls then I can live with that...

gobroncsnv
01-12-2009, 08:00 AM
I'm waiting to find out who the DL coach(es) will be.

"Gentlemen, this is the word of the day... P_R_E_S_S_U_R_E... Pressure... can you say, Pressure? Have you HEARD of Pressure? Can you use it in a sentence? Now, do you think we could try it against a QB? Questions? Yes, over there?"

"Hey coach, we've never done it that way before! Could you slow down, you're going kind of fast!"

CoachChaz
01-12-2009, 08:04 AM
Who cares. Capers, Nolan, McDermott...all 3 are an improvement to the staff and more than capable of revamping the defense. I'm happy with either.

Tned
01-12-2009, 08:27 AM

We'll see, I don't anticipate a 'total stripping'. If we go 3-4, then the impact could be larger, but if we go 4-3, I anticpate 4-5 positions to be upgraded (MLB, S, S, DE, OLB/DE?).

Of those, I think Barret may very well be given the shot at one of the safety spots, which means we only need to find one safety, probably a strong safety based on Barret's speed.

It is very possible they could opt to move DJ back to the middle and woodyard to WLB, and then the question is Boss or no Boss.

Via draft or FA, we need an every down DE, that can also rush. Depending on whether we keep Robertson and pay him the bonus owed (not as large as it could have been based on playing time), then we would also need a DT via draft or FA (a nose tackle if we go 3-4).

I think we had a talent problem on defense, but I don't think it was a talent problem at 10 or 11 spots.

Tned
01-12-2009, 08:31 AM
http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_main.aspx?sport=NFL&hl=137763&id=1966

Citing a team source, NFL.com's Adam Schefter reports that ex-49ers head coach Mike Nolan is expected to be the Broncos' next defensive coordinator.
The Josh McDaniels era has begun with misinformation his mentor would be proud of. The Denver Post reported Dom Capers would replace Bob Slowik, but Schefter has never been wrong about the team he once covered. Nolan is choosing the Broncos over Green Bay, where he was considered the heavy favorite to land as defensive coordinator as recently as Friday.

Well, while I like both Rotoworld and Scheffter (NFL Network/ NFL.com), he has been wrong about the Broncos at times. Although he usually is correct with his "sources say" stuff.

As to disinformation, a little insincere from Rotoworld. It is very likely the Caper's report was bogus from the beginning, since that NFLReport site on the same day reported that McDaniels and Jason Garrett would want Capers as their DCs (two different news reports, one saying Garrett and one saying McDaniels).

More likely, one of them had made the comment, or someone had made a guess, and then it got repeated in multiple news reports all over the web.

CoachChaz
01-12-2009, 08:34 AM
Much like the reports in Dallas over the weekend that Garrett had received HC offers from Detroit AND Denver

Zweems56
01-12-2009, 08:34 AM
Well, while I like both Rotoworld and Scheffter (NFL Network/ NFL.com), he has been wrong about the Broncos at times. Although he usually is correct with his "sources say" stuff.

As to disinformation, a little insincere from Rotoworld. It is very likely the Caper's report was bogus from the beginning, since that NFLReport site on the same day reported that McDaniels and Jason Garrett would want Capers as their DCs (two different news reports, one saying Garrett and one saying McDaniels).

More likely, one of them had made the comment, or someone had made a guess, and then it got repeated in multiple news reports all over the web.

I believe there was a report that two PLAYERS had been told that Capers would be the DC. I'm checking it out now

Zweems56
01-12-2009, 08:35 AM
http://www.rockymountainnews.com/news/2009/jan/11/capers-likely-be-broncos-defensive-coordinator/

Two Broncos players said Sunday night they had been told Dom Capers would be the team's new defensive coach. Capers is a former Steelers defensive coordinator – the team had the league's No. 1 defense in 1992 during Capers' tenure – as well as former Carolina Panthers and Houston Texans head coach.

However there were indications that former 49ers coach Mike Nolan could be the pick as well and there were some in the league Sunday night who said they believed current Eagles secondary coach Sean McDermott would end up on new head coach Josh McDaniels' staff.

With Capers or Nolan, however, that would also seem to indicate the Broncos will switch to a 3-4 look on defense since that is what Capers, who was the Patriots' special assistant and secondary coach this past year, and Nolan have run for the majority of their careers and what the Patriots have played under Bill Belichick during McDaniels' time with the team.

There we go

Tned
01-12-2009, 08:54 AM
I believe there was a report that two PLAYERS had been told that Capers would be the DC. I'm checking it out now

That was last night, and we don't know where the player information came from. Last week, when the McDaniels/Capers thread started, it was based on the NFLReport article, and on the same day they had an article linking Garret and Capers.

As to the players actually knowing, it is hard to say. They can be basing it on reading articles, just like us.

Since it took 24 hours for anyone to call Cutler about Shanahan's firing, it seems hard to believe that players were called and not only told about the new HC, but also who the new DC would be, prior to him being announced. Possible, but unlikely.

The coaches have all been fired or are in limbo, and would be on vacation if not fired. So, with the exception of injured players going in for treatment, you wouldn't expect a lot of contact between players, coaches, and front office right now.

I'm not saying the report is bogus, because it likely isn't, but we have all seen quotes of players speculating just as much as we do.

broncofaninfla
01-12-2009, 09:03 AM
If we get any of the three names that keep getting mentioned then we will be getting a stud DC in Denver. Looks like we will make the switch to 3/4 too. A lot of changes coming to the defense.........

TXBRONC
01-12-2009, 09:31 AM
If we get any of the three names that keep getting mentioned then we will be getting a stud DC in Denver. Looks like we will make the switch to 3/4 too. A lot of changes coming to the defense.........

Isn't less likely that we would go to a 3-4 of if McDermott is the new defensive coordinator? If I'm not mistaken the Eagles run a 4-3.

broncofaninfla
01-12-2009, 09:35 AM
Isn't less likely that we would go to a 3-4 of if McDermott is the new defensive coordinator? If I'm not mistaken the Eagles run a 4-3.

True, thanks. I was VERY impressed with how the Eagles shut done the Giants.

TXBRONC
01-12-2009, 09:37 AM
True, thanks. I was VERY impressed with how the Eagles shut done the Giants.

I didn't see the entire game but from what I saw they did a great job.

Rick
01-12-2009, 10:02 AM
I don't know if we would need a total over haul on defense, just a good upgrade in some spots.

Defensive line
The defensive line is made up of a nose tackle (NT) and two defensive ends (DEs). Linemen in 3-4 schemes tend to be larger than their 4-3 counterparts to take up more space and guard more territory along the defensive front. 3-4 defensive ends were usually defensive tackles when entering at first. They must be strong at the point of attack and is aligned in most cases head up on an offensive tackle and must control runs gaps first and foremost. Size and strength become more of a factor because they play in confines of line play and seldom are in space using athletic ability. Ideally 3-4 DEs should weigh 275–290 pounds (125–132 kg) and be able to beat double teams by getting a push.[3]
The base position of NT is across from the opposing team's center. This location is usually referred to as zero technique. The two DEs flank the NT and line up off the offensive guards. The location off the offensive guard is usually referred to as three technique.
Some 3-4 teams (such as the New England Patriots) use the three down linemen primarily to occupy the offensive linemen. In such systems the defensive linemen are assigned two gaps to defend. The NT is responsible for defending plays which occur in the spaces, or gaps, between the center and guards. Each of those spaces is called an A gap. Flanking the NT, DEs defend the gaps on either side of the tackle he lines up across from. Each guard-tackle gap is a B gap and the space outside each tackle is called a C gap. Other 3-4 teams (such as the San Diego Chargers and the Dallas Cowboys) primarily make each lineman responsible for only one gap.
According to former general manager Randy Mueller, “the 3-4 defensive end is easier to identify and find when it comes to scouting and acquiring personnel,” while 4-3 DEs “are rare and hard to find and therefore very expensive to keep. There is no question that speed pass rushers are very much an impact position on the football field and their cap numbers reflect that. On the other hand, 3-4 defensive ends can be found easier and are much less expensive when it comes to ‘cap dollars’.”[3]

With a little weight loss perhaps Robertson and Thomas can handle the 3-4 ends then we just need a true NT.

Linebackers
In a 3-4 defense, four linebackers (LBs) are positioned behind the defensive line. The linebacker unit is made up of two inside linebackers (ILBs)—more commonly known as middle linebackers (MLBs)—flanked by two outside linebackers (OLBs). The OLBs often line up closer to the line of scrimmage than the MLBs, but may also be positioned at the same depth or deeper in coverage than the MLBs (though this is somewhat rare).
Strengths of the 3-4 include speedy MLBs and OLBs in pursuit of backs in run defense and flexibility to use multiple rushers to confuse the quarterback during passing plays without being forced into man-to-man defense on receivers. Most teams try to disrupt the offense's passing attack by rushing four defenders. In a standard 4-3 alignment, these four rushers are usually the four down linemen. But in a 3-4, the fourth rusher is usually a linebacker, though many teams, such as the Pittsburgh Steelers and Baltimore Ravens, use a talented safety to blitz and confuse the coverage, giving them that many more defensive options in the same 3-4 look. However, since there are four linebackers and four defensive backs, the fourth potential rusher can come from any of eight defensive positions. This is designed to confuse the quarterback's pre-snap defensive read.
A drawback of the 3-4 is that without a fourth lineman to take on the offensive blockers and close the running lanes, both the defensive linemen and the linebackers can be overwhelmed by blocking schemes in the running game. To be effective, 3-4 linebackers need their defensive line to routinely tie up a minimum of four (preferably all five) offensive linemen, freeing them to make tackles. The 3-4 linebackers must be very athletic and strong enough to shed blocks by fullbacks, tight ends, and offensive linemen to get to the running back. In most cases, 3-4 OLBs lead their teams in quarterback sacks.[4]
Usually, teams that run a 3-4 defense look for college “tweeners”—defensive ends that are too small to play the position in the pros and not quite fluid enough to play outside linebacker in a 4-3 defense—as their 3-4 outside linebacker. According to NFL coach Wade Phillips, 3-4 linebackers “are a little bit cheaper, and you can find more of them,” while “it's harder to find defensive linemen to play a 4-3 and pay for all of them.”[5]

Doom and Moss get a shot at OLB, DJ moves inside, then we get a MLB in draft or see if Larson/Bailey can handle the other spot.

Im just an arm chair though and don't pretend to be a DC... it is just what I think.

TXBRONC
01-12-2009, 10:27 AM
I don't know if we would need a total over haul on defense, just a good upgrade in some spots.

With a little weight loss perhaps Robertson and Thomas can handle the 3-4 ends then we just need a true NT.

Doom and Moss get a shot at OLB, DJ moves inside, then we get a MLB in draft or see if Larson/Bailey can handle the other spot.

Im just an arm chair though and don't pretend to be a DC... it is just what I think.

Robertson and Thomas don't weigh enough. At 305 lbs I think Thomas would ok at defensive end in 3-4. Robertson on the other hand with that degenerative knee condition I think we would be better off letting him go especially if move to a 3-4 base.

CoachChaz
01-12-2009, 10:30 AM
With smart FA and draft moves, I think the transistion to a 3-4 could be alot smoother than expected. Guys like Rocjy Bernard and Chris Canty could come in and play the DE spot in a 3-4 rather nicely and wouldn't break the bank at all. We could try Doom and Moss as the OLB's in a 3-4, but if we secured the inside guys by moving DJ there and adding one of a plethera of guys available, (Suggs, Dansby, Barton, Petersen, Scott, Vilma, Boley, Crowder, Farrior) we could focus the draft on filling the other spots. We should be decent at CB and could add a veteran safety (Phillips, Dawkins, Landry, etc)

bottom line...we could make the change and add solid contributors and playmakers without breaking the bank.

broncofaninfla
01-12-2009, 10:45 AM
If we switched to a 3/4 I think we would be solid on the inside with Larsen and DJ. Not sure if Moss or Doom are skilled enough to make the switch to OLB though.

Traveler
01-12-2009, 10:47 AM
Yesterday, I was reading the PFW 07 Draft review on Tim Crowder. They stated he tested better than all of the DL in the linebacker drillls at the combine. Maybe he's a candidate to switch to LB if we cgo to a 3-4.

Ziggy
01-12-2009, 11:24 AM
Yesterday, I was reading the PFW 07 Draft review on Tim Crowder. They stated he tested better than all of the DL in the linebacker drillls at the combine. Maybe he's a candidate to switch to LB if we cgo to a 3-4.

I don't see Crowder as a LB in any scheme. He has enough size to be a rotational 3-4 end though.

tomjonesrocks
01-12-2009, 11:32 AM
Mike Nolan would be a great choice to run this defense, even better than Dom Capers. McDaniels and Nolan?

Wow. Bowlen scores big if he pulls it off.

After reading G_Money's opinions on these guys, he convinced me Capers would have been the better choice. So now I'm mildly disappointed.

But I'm going to curse the defense with what was said when Slowik was hired--there's only one way you can go with this group--up. Surely Nolan can at least get the Broncos to middle-of-the-pack on defense...

Traveler
01-12-2009, 11:55 AM
"Gentlemen, this is the word of the day... P_R_E_S_S_U_R_E... Pressure... can you say, Pressure? Have you HEARD of Pressure? Can you use it in a sentence? Now, do you think we could try it against a QB? Questions? Yes, over there?"

"Hey coach, we've never done it that way before! Could you slow down, you're going kind of fast!"

I'll just wait to see the final product., thank you. Rhodes, Bates and Slowik were supposed to P-R-E-S-S-U-R-E too.

JONtheBRONCO
01-12-2009, 12:27 PM
The National Football Post confirms that ex-49ers head coach Mike Nolan has officially been hired as the Broncos defensive coordinator.

Reports of Nolan's hiring surfaced early Monday morning, but other sources had Dom Capers as the favorite to land the position. The Broncos will likely switch to a 3-4 defense, which Nolan has run for the majority of his career.

Source: National Football Post

G_Money
01-12-2009, 12:50 PM
If this is true, that’s okay. I like Nolan. I don’t think he’s the best DC in the league but he’s very competent and IIRC his defenses get turnovers, somethings our rarely did. I supported getting him to come back to Denver when Mike was in charge, and I won’t back off of that now.

I still hope Capers comes on board in some capacity.

Because while I like Nolan, I looooove Capers. And Nolan does his best work when he’s got a great framework to play within. Capers over the course of his career has built one of the best frameworks the league has ever seen.

If somebody would let me get Nolan and Capers together to fix the D, and McDaniels and Bates to carry on the O, and the Goodmans to draft for us, and somebody else who can sign non-reject FAs…

Hey, the offseason is the time for some dreamin…

If I was gonna rank the guys we’re talking about:

1) Capers – Lebeau/Johnson level coordinator, innovator with a near-perfect system. Also provides good support for new head coach since he’s done the job before. Would force switch to the 3-4.
2) Nolan – Rivera/Phillips level coordinator, competent with mediocre talent and great with great talent. Again, can help new HC with the demands of the job due to his experience. Can run a 4-3, but prefers a 3-4.
3) McDermott – Hasn’t been a coordinator, but comes highly recommended from the Johnson blitzing tree. Only at the bottom because of the inexperience of our new HC, I’d like more experience from the DC. Would stay 4-3.

I prefer Capers, but Nolan is a perfectly competent DC, something that hasn’t been seen in these parts in a while. Nolan’s a better DC than any of the guys in Shanahan’s tenure.

We’re gonna need to improve the talent level for him to truly do his best work though. It’s all on you, Goodmans. No pressure.

~G

DenBronx
01-12-2009, 12:53 PM
The National Football Post confirms that ex-49ers head coach Mike Nolan has officially been hired as the Broncos defensive coordinator.

Reports of Nolan's hiring surfaced early Monday morning, but other sources had Dom Capers as the favorite to land the position. The Broncos will likely switch to a 3-4 defense, which Nolan has run for the majority of his career.

Source: National Football Post

well there you go. nolan it is. huge upgrade over slowik! nolan knows all areas of football too. strong head coaches and teams must have a strong support group.

Thnikkaman
01-12-2009, 12:57 PM
If this is true, that’s okay. I like Nolan. I don’t think he’s the best DC in the league but he’s very competent and IIRC his defenses get turnovers, somethings our rarely did. I supported getting him to come back to Denver when Mike was in charge, and I won’t back off of that now.

I still hope Capers comes on board in some capacity.

Because while I like Nolan, I looooove Capers. And Nolan does his best work when he’s got a great framework to play within. Capers over the course of his career has built one of the best frameworks the league has ever seen.

If somebody would let me get Nolan and Capers together to fix the D, and McDaniels and Bates to carry on the O, and the Goodmans to draft for us, and somebody else who can sign non-reject FAs…

Hey, the offseason is the time for some dreamin…

If I was gonna rank the guys we’re talking about:

1) Capers – Lebeau/Johnson level coordinator, innovator with a near-perfect system. Also provides good support for new head coach since he’s done the job before. Would force switch to the 3-4.
2) Nolan – Rivera/Phillips level coordinator, competent with mediocre talent and great with great talent. Again, can help new HC with the demands of the job due to his experience. Can run a 4-3, but prefers a 3-4.
3) McDermott – Hasn’t been a coordinator, but comes highly recommended from the Johnson blitzing tree. Only at the bottom because of the inexperience of our new HC, I’d like more experience from the DC. Would stay 4-3.

I prefer Capers, but Nolan is a perfectly competent DC, something that hasn’t been seen in these parts in a while. Nolan’s a better DC than any of the guys in Shanahan’s tenure.

We’re gonna need to improve the talent level for him to truly do his best work though. It’s all on you, Goodmans. No pressure.

~G

Capers as assistant HC?

CoachChaz
01-12-2009, 01:01 PM
Capers can be a LB coach or whatever title they want to give him. If they are going to add his expertise along with Nolan's, we are in pretty good shape.

DenBronx
01-12-2009, 01:01 PM
Capers as assistant HC?

i was thinking that. why not? we had hiemerdinger as the assistant head coach a couple of years ago. capers could easily fill that support role and him with nolan would be amazing in fixing our defense. that way everyone is accountable. i'm sure mcdaniels will keep bates. he is the only bright spot on our coaching staff.

now, if we could just fire that strenght and conditioning coach.

bill romonowski anyone for linebackers coach?

Tned
01-12-2009, 01:02 PM
Capers as assistant HC?

A lot might depend on whether he thinks he has a shot in the near future of getting back into the DC ranks, and then ultimately back to HC.

Plus, McDaniels might not want an experienced, ex-HC, looking over his shoulder.

DenBronx
01-12-2009, 01:05 PM
A lot might depend on whether he thinks he has a shot in the near future of getting back into the DC ranks, and then ultimately back to HC.

Plus, McDaniels might not want an experienced, ex-HC, looking over his shoulder.

well he hired nolan. make that 2 experienced ex- head coaches looking over his shoulders.

if i was a rookie head coach i would personally love it. that kind of support only makes you and the team stronger. that means job security.

CoachChaz
01-12-2009, 01:08 PM
Hell yeah, hire as many ex-coaches as possible and then take all the credit for righting the ship

Nomad
01-12-2009, 01:09 PM

It seems he would welcome the advice of seasoned coaches.

Rick
01-12-2009, 03:06 PM
Robertson and Thomas don't weigh enough. At 305 lbs I think Thomas would ok at defensive end in 3-4. Robertson on the other hand with that degenerative knee condition I think we would be better off letting him go especially if move to a 3-4 base.

According to the article I posted 3-4 DEs are around 290, so really both are a little more heavy even then needed, not to light.

I ideally Robertson with his knee issues would not be a long term solution there but could perhaps work as a bandaid 3-4 end for a year or 2 while we work on other positions, like a true NT.

Traveler
01-12-2009, 03:20 PM
Maybe McDaniels can lure Pepper Johnson over to coach the DL or LB's.

topscribe
01-12-2009, 03:34 PM
After Nolan's experiences as HC, his luster as DC kind of faded. But he hasn't
lost his acumen for defense. IMO, McDaniels tapped one of the very best
defensive minds in the league.

-----

JKcatch724
01-12-2009, 03:44 PM
After Nolan's experiences as HC, his luster as DC kind of faded. But he hasn't
lost his acumen for defense. IMO, McDaniels tapped one of the very best
defensive minds in the league.

-----

Completely agree. For anybody to draw on his stint as HC as his ability to run a defense is ludicrous IMO. The only thing I look at during his time in SF is the talent he brought in on the defensive side. He SHOULD be the best DC in Denver since Robinson.

Lonestar
01-12-2009, 04:12 PM

There has been no such term used in the broncos playbook the past 10 years.. so it may take some time for us all to get used to it..:laugh:

TXBRONC
01-12-2009, 04:51 PM
Completely agree. For anybody to draw on his stint as HC as his ability to run a defense is ludicrous IMO. The only thing I look at during his time in SF is the talent he brought in on the defensive side. He SHOULD be the best DC in Denver since Robinson.

Nolan's track record indicates that he knows how to run a defense.

SmilinAssasSin27
01-12-2009, 05:27 PM
3-4 huh? My wish list has us drafting Tyson Jackson and Kyle Moore....perfect fits?

omac
01-12-2009, 08:39 PM
It seems he would welcome the advice of seasoned coaches.

Well, I guess if he trusts them not to try and undermine him in an attempt to stage a coup. Denver is one of the prized jewels for head coaches. :ninja:

NinerBroncoFan
01-12-2009, 08:45 PM
Hey Folks,

I'll admit one thing - I'm a 49er fan but I've have always come to respect and love the Broncos because they are always a classy team with really cool fans.

That being said, (cause I wouldn't do this for any other fan base). Buyer beware about Mike Nolan.

From a 49er fan's perspective, let me share some insight about Nolan you'll never hear in the national news because the team was so bad, no one but local beat writers really went after the truth.

The simple truth is that Nolan is a terrible Xs and Os beyond the basics. I know many of you say "well he was a HC" but Nolan always had weak DCs so he could run the defense. Quite frankly the 49er defense didn't improve until they let Nolan go. Don't believe me? Ask future HOFer Bryant Young and ask him why he didn't come back for one last year.

Google "Billy Davis" and you'll see what I mean.
Google "adjustments" and "Nolan" you'll see what I mean.
Google "vanilla" and "Nolan" you'll see what I mean.

Nolan RAN the defense in 49erland. He ignored the offense because he didn't have the acumen to run it at all. In Ninerland he had full control of the team - and had the ability to bring in any free agent he wanted and get rid of anyone he wanted (see Engleberger, Winborn). He convinced the team they needed a $80mil/9 year CB in Nate Clements, then signed Justin Smith at a similar salary. And no, it wasn't Nolan who fought for Patrick Willis, it was Scout McCloughan, our current GM.

Nolan is good at maintaining what's there. He doesn't believe in starting young players. He believes in older, more experienced players being on the field. Nolan is great at double-speak and empty explanations. But most of all, his defensive game plans after a couple of series were figured out by opposing offenses and neutralized for the remainder of the game.

The 49ers didn't get rid of Nolan because he wasn't a good guy, but rather his teams lacked intensity.

Google "Jed York" and "Mike Nolan".

And if you don't believe me, just look at this stats when he didn't have to BUILD a squad from scratch, the numbers are quite different (NY and Washington).

I feel bad because you guys are the best outside my own fanbase and I always root for you and I really feel like the absolute last thing you should do is buy a lemon.

Rex
01-12-2009, 08:49 PM
Yawn.

Google.....I cant believe I just read that bullshit.

Hobe
01-12-2009, 08:56 PM
There we go

This should give us something to do for the next week any way.:coffee:

omac
01-12-2009, 08:56 PM
Well, if this is finally true, we got what a lot of us wanted. When Nolan was fired, someone started a thread saying we should hire him as our DC, and now, it looks like it's done.

I was pumped up for Capers after G's build-up of him, and a bit down on Nolan after the negative article about him, but this should be good. SF's defense this season's been overall pretty solid; 13th against the rush, 20th against the pass, 23rd in points allowed, and 13th in total yards allowed. Their takeaways is bottom in the NFC with 18. No matter, that defense is tons better than what Denver's had the last couple of seasons.

omac
01-12-2009, 09:00 PM
Thanks for the heads-up, NinerBroncoFan! :salute:

TXBRONC
01-12-2009, 09:46 PM
I wonder when we'll find out who the new defensive coordinator is?

Dirk
01-13-2009, 07:20 AM
I didn't see the link so here is one....

McDaniels' first call: Nolan
Former 49ers head coach and Broncos assistant has agreed to become Denver's defensive coordinator

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_11439140

Broncolingus
01-13-2009, 07:24 AM
Yes, this looks to 'official' from what I'm reading this morning...

Dirk
01-13-2009, 07:31 AM
I'm ok with this. And actually I am starting to get a little excited about the whole thing.

Albeit, I don't think "miracles" will happen next year, but with the toughness of the 2009 schedule, it will be a good task to be competitive. If we are competitive in 2009, look out in 2010!

fcspikeit
01-13-2009, 07:32 AM
I didn't see the link so here is one....

McDaniels' first call: Nolan
Former 49ers head coach and Broncos assistant has agreed to become Denver's defensive coordinator

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_11439140

This looks like the real deal and probably should have its own thread :salute:

Thanks for the link :beer:

tomjonesrocks
01-13-2009, 09:34 AM
Well, if this is finally true, we got what a lot of us wanted. When Nolan was fired, someone started a thread saying we should hire him as our DC, and now, it looks like it's done.

I was pumped up for Capers after G's build-up of him, and a bit down on Nolan after the negative article about him, but this should be good. SF's defense this season's been overall pretty solid; 13th against the rush, 20th against the pass, 23rd in points allowed, and 13th in total yards allowed. Their takeaways is bottom in the NFC with 18. No matter, that defense is tons better than what Denver's had the last couple of seasons.

If we were going to hire him anyway; we should have done it during the bye week. Might have saved the season and Shanny's job. All water under the bridge now, but interesting.

NightTrainLayne
01-13-2009, 09:53 AM
If we were going to hire him anyway; we should have done it during the bye week. Might have saved the season and Shanny's job. All water under the bridge now, but interesting.

Well, Shanny's the guy who would have made that call and he didn't. . .. that's part of the reason he's gone.

tomjonesrocks
01-13-2009, 01:29 PM
Yahoo/Denver Post reporting this as official now, if not posted elsewhere already:
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/rumors/post/McDaniels-hires-Nolan-as-defensive-coordinator-i?urn=nfl,133974

McDaniels hires Nolan as defensive coordinator in Denver

Josh McDaniels dug into the Denver Broncos' past when making his first major decision as the team's new head coach Monday.

Mike Nolan, the former San Francisco 49ers coach who was a member of Dan Reeves' defensive staff here from 1987-92, has agreed to become the team's defensive coordinator.

"Mike is a very good coach, he's a good communicator and he's been around this league for a long time, and he's been a head coach in this league," McDaniels said. "All those things are very valuable, and his experience on the defensive side is absolutely a value to any organization."

Nolan, 49, followed Reeves to the New York Giants in 1993 for his first coordinator job. Their first year in New York, the Giants' defense allowed a league-low 205
points, and suddenly Nolan was a hot name for coordinator jobs. He would go on to run the defenses of the Redskins, Jets and Ravens before getting his first head coaching job with the 49ers in 2005. Nolan was fired by the 49ers on Oct. 20, midway through his fourth season, with a career record of 18-37.

"I've always had a strong impression of him from coaching against him. He's always been very difficult to scheme against," McDaniels said. "There's a lot of things that his defenses have historically done well."

Source: Denver Post

Related: Denver Broncos, New York Giants, San Francisco 49ers

DenBronx
01-13-2009, 01:33 PM
We we're just talking about that report in the Capers thread. Should be a good move for us, I wonder if Capers will come over as well. Rumors are that McDaniels is bringing the Patriots special teams coach too.

Rick
01-13-2009, 02:31 PM
2 of his last 3 years capers has been titled Special Assistant for the team he is on so its is plausible to assume he may come here and do the same without being defensive cord.

I am not sure I totally am for Nolan for defensive cord but Nolan and Capers combined would be awesome.

underrated29
01-13-2009, 02:57 PM
2 of his last 3 years capers has been titled Special Assistant for the team he is on so its is plausible to assume he may come here and do the same without being defensive cord.

I am not sure I totally am for Nolan for defensive cord but Nolan and Capers combined would be awesome.

I agree 100%!!!

But like many have said. Anything and anyone is better than slowik.

DenBronx
01-13-2009, 06:18 PM
No word yet on our website but it was rumored yesterday and reported by 2 credible sources today. Nolan is now official peeps.

http://blogs.nfl.com/2009/01/13/broncos-hire-nolan-as-defensive-coordinator/

Any questions about who would be Denver’s defensive coordinator now can be officially dismissed. The Broncos hired former 49ers coach Mike Nolan on Tuesday and gave him a two-year contract. Nolan returns to the Broncos franchise he worked for from 1987-1992.

Posted in: Adam Schefter

SmilinAssasSin27
01-13-2009, 06:19 PM
I hope he's good. But he really can't be any worse.

DenBronx
01-13-2009, 06:25 PM

no where to go but up. :laugh:

Medford Bronco
01-13-2009, 06:28 PM
We we're just talking about that report in the Capers thread. Should be a good move for us, I wonder if Capers will come over as well. Rumors are that McDaniels is bringing the Patriots special teams coach too.

You mean we might actually get a kickoff return for a TD.

The last time we had one was in 1998:shocked:

Special teams have been ignored by Shanny for years and are a very important part of the game.

Lonestar
01-13-2009, 06:30 PM
You mean we might actually get a kickoff return for a TD.

The last time we had one was in 1998:shocked:

Special teams have been ignored by Shanny for years and are a very important part of the game.

hey hey he hired a super stud ST guy two years ago.. and has drafted numerous KR types hixon, Darrent and then Royale last year..

Do not be ragging on my buddy mikey....

Medford Bronco
01-13-2009, 06:32 PM
hey hey he hired a super stud ST guy two years ago.. and has drafted numerous KR types hixon, Darrent and then Royale last year..

Do not be ragging on my buddy mikey....

lol our special teams, special ed.

also losing elam hurt last year as well as Prater is inconsistent right now as well.

Lonestar
01-13-2009, 06:35 PM
lol our special teams, special ed.

also losing elam hurt last year as well as Prater is inconsistent right now as well.

Not so sure that prater hurt us all that much as Elam most likely would have not seen those kicks either..

But tackling and schemes I think hurt us more that the KR portion..

muse
01-13-2009, 06:44 PM
no where to go but up. :laugh:

The Lions say otherwise :lol:

G_Money
01-13-2009, 07:05 PM

Immediate positives to Nolan:

1) He's far better than Slowik.

2) He's been very good whenever given something to work with.

3) His defenses are usually pretty good at turnovers, something we've been TERRIBLE at recently.

4) He can run a 4-3 or a 3-4, though he prefers a 3-4.

5) His defenses have done a good job of getting sacks, and don't tend to be blitz-heavy to do it. High 30s to low 40s consistently, even with his bad Redskins teams. We had 25 and 31 the last two years, if you were curious. Because they're not blitz-heavy, it means the QB is usually under more-constant pressure too.

Potential areas of concern:

1) He normally uses a DL for pressure, but we don't have one.

2) He's not known for in-game adjustments. He and Wade Phillips have a lot in common as DCs. They pretty much gear their guys up and let em go. Which means you need to have the horses.

3) He was unable to do jack in SF on defense, which gives me concerns about the men he would bring in to teach our players as well as his understanding of what personnel he needs to be effective himself - though most of his draftpicks were made - and wasted - on offense, not defense during his tenure. He DOES know linebackers, so that's good.

In other words, Nolan shouldn't sad-sack it once we get him some defensive talent, but he WILL need that talent. Most of Mike's teams have been terrible offensive squads, so in that sense it skews his sample in his favor even more. The Giants and Ravens were pretty abominable on O, which means the D was out there a long time. Those squads held up well. The 49ers, whether he was the DC or not, were also out there a lot and failed miserably.

I wonder what Champ thinks about Nolan. His rookie year was Nolan's last with the Skins, wasn't it? Didn't have a good D that year.

But Nolan CAN blitz, and he CAN bring pressure with a line. For all his issues as a HC, he's been a fairly good DC in this league, the equal of a Williams or Phillips.

As long as we aren't listening to him on personnel matters, I'm quite interested to see what he has in store for us.

Though I'm still standing watch for Capers.

~G