PDA

View Full Version : Offensive question.....

lgenf
11-13-2011, 07:03 PM
Not an offensive question, rather a question of offense

So if everyone else in the league has a similar style offense, with a traditional drop back pocket passer QB, and I mean everyone, so much that each week their defensive scheme only has to change slightly or have a certain tweak done to account for the NEW opponents offense or personnel, then do we have a decided advantage with our offense because it requires a complete change of thought and scheme?

Look, I was at the Miami game and it was not pretty, and I watched the Detroit game in horror, but last weeks Oakland game and this weeks KC game the offense truly looked to be clicking and the term next man up really seemed to be our montra this week, but because we are SOOOOO unconventional do we have an advantage over teams with similar talent?

The steelers, packers, ravens etc. they have superior talent so I'm not talking about them, but the teams that are not the top tiers, do we get an edge?

spikerman
11-13-2011, 07:13 PM
I have to believe that all NFL teams will eventually be able to stop the run if the threat of the pass isn't there. That's why, while it's working now, the Broncos coaches could be shooting themselves in the foot down the road. If the coaches would allow Tebow the opportunity to throw the ball more often, even limited success would back the defense up a bit and play to Denver's advantage in the run game.

Ziggy
11-13-2011, 07:16 PM
Thursday night will be a great guage. You can bet that Rex Ryan will make Tebow throw the ball. The Jets may suck on offense, but they have one of the best defensive game planners ever to walk the sidelines. It should be fun to watch.

turftoad
11-13-2011, 07:16 PM
No. Because if we fall behind to GOOD offense or prolific passing game, we won't be able to play catch up. Bottom line.

You can't play catch up late in the 4th vs a GOOD team running the ball like we have.

lgenf
11-13-2011, 07:21 PM
No. Because if we fall behind to GOOD offense or prolific passing game, we won't be able to play catch up. Bottom line.

You can't play catch up late in the 4th vs a GOOD team running the ball like we have.

Yeah but you're assuming we will be behind? Or down significantly

What if it's a 3, 7 or 10 pt game?

turftoad
11-13-2011, 07:28 PM
Yeah but you're assuming we will be behind? Or down significantly

What if it's a 3, 7 or 10 pt game?

Sorry, there is no way we hold the rest of our opponents to 10 points. Also, there is no way we win the majority of our remaining games only scoring 17 points.

SmilinAssasSin27
11-13-2011, 07:50 PM
Nope...I wasn't offended by that question at all. Odd name for a thread.

BroncoTech
11-14-2011, 01:32 AM
As long as teams apply conventional wisdom to our unconventional offense we'll be able to replicate this running game with the zone blocking. I'm going to watch the game again but KC I think only had 7 guys in the box, a lot. So I don't think KC tried the conventional approach with us today.

So when you listen the NFL channel talking head gas bags you're going to hear 'just keep Tebow in the pocket where he can't hurt you'. Or what Oakland tried was keeping a man on the running back and a man on Tebow. Since both can't carry the ball their gameplan wasted a player every play. Trying to contain Tebow in the pocket means you need to set the edge with your defensive ends. A run up the gut or a screen can make the defense pay.

There is an offensive answer for everything a defense can do to stop the read option. And this offense is still very much under construction. I see many thing that are wide open for this offense we haven't seen them run yet. So I think the best of this offense has yet to be seen. But by being able to run right, that leaves the back side as Tebow's left, which should work out for us on play action right roll out left plays, which we haven;t seen much of. The jets are rated 20th in run defense, we should have opportunities next Thursday.

Keep in mind Tebow can throw an accurate ball, he just doesn't spin it.

bcbronc
11-14-2011, 01:52 AM
where did this "all other teams run the same offense" BS begin?? Just because no other team is running an option offense, doesn't mean they're running the same offense. just because other teams are dabbling in this new thing called the forward pass and we don't doesn't mean they're all running the same, or even similar offenses.

Do you really think DCs put in the same game plan vs Brady and the Pats compared to Big Ben and Pitt? Or Vick vs Eli Manning vs Aaron Rodgers? Of course not.

So no, I don't think being one dimensional will make us harder to game plan against.

GEM
11-14-2011, 02:10 AM
Next man up? You mean next rb up. :lol:

silkamilkamonico
11-14-2011, 02:35 AM
Not an offensive question, rather a question of offense

So if everyone else in the league has a similar style offense, with a traditional drop back pocket passer QB, and I mean everyone, so much that each week their defensive scheme only has to change slightly or have a certain tweak done to account for the NEW opponents offense or personnel, then do we have a decided advantage with our offense because it requires a complete change of thought and scheme?

Look, I was at the Miami game and it was not pretty, and I watched the Detroit game in horror, but last weeks Oakland game and this weeks KC game the offense truly looked to be clicking and the term next man up really seemed to be our montra this week, but because we are SOOOOO unconventional do we have an advantage over teams with similar talent?

The steelers, packers, ravens etc. they have superior talent so I'm not talking about them, but the teams that are not the top tiers, do we get an edge?

There is no "edge". I'm as happy as the next Bronco fan as what has been happening. But teams will adjust to it and Denver is going to have to adjust too. The Wildcat was the next best thing in the NFL a couple years ago when Miami was running it, and now it's gone almost dormant.

You have to pass in the NFL to win. And if Tebow/Denver doesn't figure out a way to do that, this option thing we are currently running will be the next passing fade, and so will Tim Tebow as a QB.

BroncoTech
11-14-2011, 05:11 AM
You have to pass in the NFL to win.

No, you just need more points at the end of the game to win in the NFL.

lgenf
11-14-2011, 11:14 AM
Do you really think DCs put in the same game plan vs Brady and the Pats compared to Big Ben and Pitt? Or Vick vs Eli Manning vs Aaron Rodgers? Of course not.

No I don't think that DCs around the league when playing the ELITE QBs of the league gameplan the same way, but the normal teams I think the gameplan is very similar each week

If you played Seattle, Tenn, Cleavland, Tampa - you know the middle of the road teams, when you play those guys, how different do you really think the plan is?

I know you have KEYS that you look for, trends, tells etc, no different scheme, just different tells

But our offense is completely different, and to your point, we run because we can, NO ONE knows if we can throw out of this, because we've only thrown as much as we've had to up until this point

SR
11-14-2011, 10:20 PM
I wasn't offended.

Dapper Dan
11-14-2011, 10:30 PM
By running you risk a holding penalty. By passing you have a chance at PI or unnecessary roughness, which are both too common. Someone implied this before.

So just by being a run heavy offense versus a pass heavy offense you're at a disadvantage.

lgenf
11-14-2011, 11:01 PM
By running you risk a holding penalty. By passing you have a chance at PI or unnecessary roughness, which are both too common. Someone implied this before.

So just by being a run heavy offense versus a pass heavy offense you're at a disadvantage.

But if you run well and move the chains you get the advantage of time possession and keeping your D rested, which is an advantage

Dapper Dan
11-14-2011, 11:08 PM
But if you run well and move the chains you get the advantage of time possession and keeping your D rested, which is an advantage

True. I'm all for running the ball. I like that type of game. But I just think the NFL if favored for passing.

HORSEPOWER 56
11-14-2011, 11:21 PM

You also run a much higher risk of turnovers when you pass. Look at Phyllis Rivers. Ints, sack/fumbles, and QB strip fumbles all happen more often when you pass. Tebow has thrown one interception and lost one fumble in 4 games... both came from the pocket.

Running, provided it's working, rests the defense, fires up the O-line, wears down and frustrates the opposing defense and forces them to commit more guys to stopping the run which allows single coverage on the WRs when you do decide to pass. Not to mention but if you get a big enough lead running the ball, the other team now becomes one dimensional and must pass to try to catch up which plays right into our defense's hands. With Miller, Doom, and the exotic blitzes that Allen likes to call, go ahead pass every down. Matt Cassell will tell you how much it sucks.

rcsodak
11-14-2011, 11:25 PM
Thursday night will be a great guage. You can bet that Rex Ryan will make Tebow throw the ball. The Jets may suck on offense, but they have one of the best defensive game planners ever to walk the sidelines. It should be fun to watch.

Watch him go to a 44 or a 46 defense. Why have extra cb's covering dummy routes?

Mobile Post via http://Mobile.BroncosForums.com/forums