PDA

View Full Version : One stat that really does matter between 1-4 and 3-1

Northman
11-13-2011, 05:00 PM
Turnovers.

In our first 5 games we turned the ball over 12 times.

In the last 4, only 4 times. 3 of those against Detroit.

So while Tebow may not be lighting up the passing statboard at least he is limiting his turnovers as well as the rest of the team.

DenBronx
11-13-2011, 05:05 PM
Add in a healthy Dumervil now playing on the other side of the animal Von Miller and QBs are having nightmares.

We are also creating turnovers which helps too!

DenBronx
11-13-2011, 05:10 PM
And Tebow wasnt sacked once today.

Agent of Orange
11-13-2011, 05:14 PM
It's not just the turnovers though. It's also the running threat that Tebow provides.

camdisco24
11-13-2011, 05:55 PM
We seem to be more "all around" now.

Things are coming together on both sides of the ball each week more and more.

I really like the direction of this team right now.

hamrob
11-13-2011, 07:38 PM

I really like the direction of this team right now.I know...this is what it feels like when your team wins football games!!!:cool:

camdisco24
11-13-2011, 07:40 PM
I know...this is what it feels like when your team wins football games!!!:cool:

Even if we lose next week, with strong efforts, I'll feel pretty good about this team. I really don't think we're as bad off as some suggest.

The rest of our schedule is a pretty tough test though.

SmilinAssasSin27
11-13-2011, 07:41 PM

I really like the direction of this team right now.

Dunno is "all around" is how I would describe things after today...

camdisco24
11-13-2011, 07:45 PM

Offense is moving, Defense is playing tough. Special teams did what special teams do. That's my version of all around.

Now, compared to the traditional NFL passing style game, we're not all around, but I'm not so sure that's where this team even wants to be right now. That's not really what I'm looking for right now. I want physical, downhill football cause that's what has worked honestly.

catfish
11-13-2011, 08:49 PM

Denver was very balanced, they ran to the right AND the left(from NFL postgame)

honz
11-13-2011, 09:03 PM
Denver was very balanced, they ran to the right AND the left(from NFL postgame)
Heard ya the first time, broseph.

CrazyHorse
11-13-2011, 09:21 PM
How many of those turnovers were the result of Orton?

Tned
11-13-2011, 10:10 PM
Turnovers.

In our first 5 games we turned the ball over 12 times.

In the last 4, only 4 times. 3 of those against Detroit.

So while Tebow may not be lighting up the passing statboard at least he is limiting his turnovers as well as the rest of the team.

The other big stat is that since Tebow took over at half time in San Diego game the Broncos have been far and away the best rushing team in the NFL.

Before the San Diego game, the Broncos were averaging 87 yards a game, and were ranked somewhere in the mid-to-high 20's in rushing.

Over the last five weeks, the Broncos have averaged 215 YPG and have jumped up to 2nd in the league in rushing.

SR
11-13-2011, 10:16 PM
Am I the only person staring at the stat sheet seeing a whopping eight pass plays called? I'd hardly be confident going in to a game against the Jets on national tv looking at that. Sorry to be a Debbie downer

Northman
11-13-2011, 10:17 PM
How many of those turnovers were the result of Orton?

9 out of 12 came from Orton himself.

Northman
11-13-2011, 10:19 PM
Am I the only person staring at the stat sheet seeing a whopping eight pass plays called? I'd hardly be confident going in to a game against the Jets on national tv looking at that. Sorry to be a Debbie downer

While im still a bit skeptical i think a lot of lack of passes called had to be because we were running the ball so well. Jets will be a solid test like the Lions were but if we can run the ball (which we should be able to do) and not turn the ball over like we did vs Detroit i think we have a fair shot.

wayninja
11-13-2011, 10:27 PM
Add in a healthy Dumervil now playing on the other side of the animal Von Miller and QBs are having nightmares.

We are also creating turnovers which helps too!

The hammer and the anvil.

Tned
11-13-2011, 10:30 PM

I have lots of problems with the play calling. Not only were there only 8 passes thrown, but the first three were all play action bombs. Tebow only threw a couple bad balls, but those bombs are low percentage plays.

To all those saying KC couldn't stop the run, so there was no reason to pass, I disagree. There is a conservative gameplan -- Fox pregame had said he would like to see something like 30 runs/20 passes, if they had 50 offensive plays -- but what we saw was so far beyond conservative I'm not sure what to call it.

This is the same kind of play calling that has resulted in almost all of Tebows pass attempts being 2nd/3rd and long, and complaints about Tebow's 3rd down conversation rate being too low.

McCoy has to mix it up more on first down, more WR screens, slants across the middle, TE drags, etc., along with some deeper throws.

Win or lose, McCoy has been calling very bad games.

DenBronx
11-14-2011, 01:17 PM
One stat that is in line with the turnovers is Tim Tebow has ZERO turnovers in 3 road games this year.

And....he is 4-3 overall as a Broncos QB, which of course means he's a winning QB.

Not crowning him as a FCQB yet but I think his ceiling is higher than many think.

G_Money
11-14-2011, 02:42 PM
McCoy has to mix it up more on first down, more WR screens, slants across the middle, TE drags, etc., along with some deeper throws.

Win or lose, McCoy has been calling very bad games.

Agreed. OTOH, he's installed chunks of the read option and now triple option in just a couple of weeks and he and Magazu have done WONDERS since the Detroit game at getting the OL where they need to be for the whole mish-mash to work. Clady's holding calls aside, props to the whole offensive line.

And some of that's on McCoy too, on the plus side. What I'm HOPING is that we have that short-passing game against the Jets, but they're very good against the pass with terrific corners, so I want the TE and slot receivers to be men on Thursday, please.

If this is McCoy being crafty and witholding game film for the Jets to hamper their already-good pass D and keep them in the dark against our still-rudimentary passing attack...then that'll show up on Thursday. He certainly gave them lots to worry about in the running game that'll have to be worked on in a short week.

If we throw it 8 times on Thursday as well, then by God we'd better run it for 350. With backup RBs.

~G

Softskull
11-14-2011, 03:22 PM
G Money, you are an excellent poster. Always one of my favorites to read. Cheers.

The thing that I really like about the new Bronco's style is that were finally not playing as the "finesse" team that were under both Shanny and McDumbass. Our defense is playing well against the run and the offense is playing smash mouth. We've won back to back road games against division rivals for the first time in forty+ years. We controlled the ball and let the defense win this game. How do you complain about that? I'm loving me some John Fox.

G_Money
11-14-2011, 09:55 PM
I've missed our running game. :beer:

Mulching other teams for 2300+ yards on the ground, watching their frustration and panic as we rammed the ball down their throats on 11 minute TD drives to start the second half, seeing the delight on the OL's faces when they're just demoralizing the opposing D.

KC was like that, even after the game. "We KNEW what they were gonna do, we just couldn't stop it" is sweet music to my ears.

First time in a long time that anything other than a losing streak has been unstoppable for us. Every game me play makes me more eager for the next game to better judge what the Broncos are building.

And to see if we're gonna punch the next team in the face like we have been instead of cowering and praying not to lose like we were before. :D

~G

TXBRONC
11-15-2011, 09:39 AM
G Money, you are an excellent poster. Always one of my favorites to read. Cheers.

The thing that I really like about the new Bronco's style is that were finally not playing as the "finesse" team that were under both Shanny and McDumbass. Our defense is playing well against the run and the offense is playing smash mouth. We've won back to back road games against division rivals for the first time in forty+ years. We controlled the ball and let the defense win this game. How do you complain about that? I'm loving me some John Fox.

I've said I don't think Denver can get away with throwing the ball just 8 times consistently. That said, just the week before Denver put the ball up 21 times so I don't see Denver just throwing 10 or fewer passes the rest of the year.

Fox said just recently he wants more balance between run and pass but he also mentioned that right now they will run a more as a way to help Tebow.