PDA

View Full Version : See how much easier it is on the defense when you run the ball?

Agent of Orange
11-13-2011, 04:33 PM
We only threw 8 passes this game. We shortened the game and even when we didn't score we were at least getting to mid field before punting several times. We shortened this game and were greatly helped by going up by 2 scores early. KC played uphill the vast majority of the game when that happened and all of these things made it a lot easier for our defense.

When you hear coaches talk about complimentary football, this is one extreme example.

vhatever
11-13-2011, 04:36 PM
As long as you are making first downs it's all good.

CrazyHorse
11-13-2011, 04:37 PM
It's always fun when you can force it down their throat and they can't do anything to stop it.

Ziggy
11-13-2011, 04:43 PM
There will be a lot of complaining about McCoy's playcalling, but I think he's playing it the best way he can with the personnel he has. With Tebow at QB it's going to be real simple. If the Broncos can run the ball and play complimentary defense, they'll win. If teams get a big lead and we have to pass the ball to win, we're screwed. He's giving Tebow time to develop while winning. Hopefully, he'll get a little better each week and the Broncos can be playing balanced football by the end of the season.

HORSEPOWER 56
11-13-2011, 04:55 PM
There will be a lot of complaining about McCoy's playcalling, but I think he's playing it the best way he can with the personnel he has. With Tebow at QB it's going to be real simple. If the Broncos can run the ball and play complimentary defense, they'll win. If teams get a big lead and we have to pass the ball to win, we're screwed. He's giving Tebow time to develop while winning. Hopefully, he'll get a little better each week and the Broncos can be playing balanced football by the end of the season.

I agree. If we can mix in a little more passing from the option it will open the option up even more.

LawDog
11-13-2011, 05:00 PM
In this context, it is complementary football.

This has been a public service announcement from your friendly grammar police.

SR
11-13-2011, 09:22 PM
It's not going to last very long. The Jets won't allow this circus to happen against them Thursday night. Tebow will be forced to pass, so we'll see how it goes.

camdisco24
11-13-2011, 09:24 PM
It's not going to last very long. The Jets won't allow this circus to happen against them Thursday night. Tebow will be forced to pass, so we'll see how it goes.

I agree. Thursday is the first test with this new "style" we've seen the past two weeks.

SR
11-13-2011, 09:31 PM
I agree. Thursday is the first test with this new "style" we've seen the past two weeks.

Love him or hate him, Rex Ryan will get his boys coached up. The Jets game is gonna be a rude awakening in my opinion. But as soon as I get off work I'll be speeding home hoping to get the TV turned on before kickoff. Got some new whiskey to drank. ;)

Dreadnought
11-13-2011, 09:36 PM
Love him or hate him, Rex Ryan will get his boys coached up. The Jets game is gonna be a rude awakening in my opinion. But as soon as I get off work I'll be speeding home hoping to get the TV turned on before kickoff. Got some new whiskey to drank. ;)

You know what? A month ago we would all have pencilled in a loss already v. the Jets. I still think they should be a solid favorite - but I won't be utterly astonished if we beat them. Sanchez isn't that good and our D is playing respectable ball. Tebow could hit on a long TD pass or two. It could happen. I'm looking forward to watching this game, where a month ago i would have watched it out of duty, resigned to a miserable evening.

wayninja
11-13-2011, 09:36 PM

You are probably right. However, I'm not sure the pats can do much to stop it when we play them.

camdisco24
11-13-2011, 09:44 PM
You know what? A month ago we would all have pencilled in a loss already v. the Jets. I still think they should be a solid favorite - but I won't be utterly astonished if we beat them. Sanchez isn't that good and our D is playing respectable ball. Tebow could hit on a long TD pass or two. It could happen. I'm looking forward to watching this game, where a month ago i would have watched it out of duty, resigned to a miserable evening.

Its fun when there is actually some sliver of hope.

Tned
11-13-2011, 10:15 PM
I posted this in another thread, but the stats fit with this thread as well.

Since Tebow took over at half time in San Diego game the Broncos have been far and away the best rushing team in the NFL.

Before the San Diego game, the Broncos were averaging 87 yards a game, and were ranked somewhere in the mid-to-high 20's in rushing.

Over the last five weeks, the Broncos have averaged 215 YPG and have jumped up to 2nd in the league in rushing.

SR
11-13-2011, 10:19 PM

Denver has exceptionally shitty luck.
I would love to see a great game, but I just see the Jets pulling it together and bringing the Broncos and their fans back to reality. John Fox can only do so much with this group of vagabonds.

wayninja
11-13-2011, 10:33 PM
Denver has exceptionally shitty luck.
I would love to see a great game, but I just see the Jets pulling it together and bringing the Broncos and their fans back to reality. John Fox can only do so much with this group of vagabonds.

Again, you are probably right. The Jets are on another level than the Broncos that's for sure.

Having said that, with the Broncos unusual style it definitely adds an element of 'anything can happen' that isn't normally there. Sometimes that 'anything' can be blowout though. Hopefully it won't come to that.

Joel
11-13-2011, 10:33 PM
In this context, it is complementary football.

This has been a public service announcement from your friendly grammar police.
Maybe a complimentary post about complementary football, but, yeah. We won at Arrowhead, and that alone is worthy of compliments because it's so rare.

It is very hard to argue with a W, particularly when we never trailed and had a very nice 244 rushing yards. Of course, running 55 times SHOULD rack up lots of yards, and a 4.4 average (albeit with our second string back) is good but unremarkable. The D played a whale of game, only allowing the Chiefs a single score.* As long as we keep playing lights out D and gaining 4+ YPC we'll win more than we lose, but we won't be able to do the latter (and therefore ultimately not the former) unless we become consistently dangerous throwing downfield. Maybe the spectacle of so many NFL teams who've seemingly forgotten how to run has produced defences who've forgotten how to stop it (even our D managed to surrender 134 rushing yards but, inexplicably, only one score* in an otherwise exemplary performance.) The good ones still know how though, and it's a lot easier for all of them when they can load the box without fear of being burned deep (which was the nail in the coffin for KC.)

In that respect, it's also hard to fault all the runs when they chewed up the clock and rested our D while we had the lead, but I actually would've liked to see more passes from Tebow, because all but one of those he did throw looked good. The one into the dirt on 3rd down was the only really bad one (it's easy to track them all when there are only 8.) The first deep pass to Decker could have had a little more air, but only a DB coming in with his finger tips at the last minute prevented 1st and G; as it was Decker still got a hand on it despite falling backward. I don't expect any QB to throw a perfect pass every time, but all but one of Tebows looked plenty good enough to me, and that's the kind of play we need to see a lot of to prevent defences stacking the box on us and shutting down our run. The only complaint I have is that, with Decker currently 2nd only to Calvin Johnson for receiving TDs (though no less than 5 players in the Jets/Pats game could pass him) opponents will start looking for him just as diligently as Tebow does.

The biggest question now may be how badly Clady, McGahee and Moreno are hurt. :(

*The Chiefs FG down by 10 with 0:07 to play was pure prevent doing its job protecting the end zone, and thus a defensive win; if we don't miss a FG after our D stuffs them on 4th down, they don't even try one later.

Agent of Orange
11-13-2011, 11:41 PM
Again, you are probably right. The Jets are on another level than the Broncos that's for sure.

Having said that, with the Broncos unusual style it definitely adds an element of 'anything can happen' that isn't normally there. Sometimes that 'anything' can be blowout though. Hopefully it won't come to that.

The Jets are in a short week and will be playing against a team that's the polar opposite of the finesse patriots. Additionally, the Jets have struggled against the run this year. The Broncos have established that if you cant stop the run, it's a problem that won't go away because they wont stop running. LOL. If you struggle against the run, the Denver Broncos are the last team you want to see right about now. Denver's offense has recently turned into ground and pound on steroids. The best part of the Jets defense might be their CBs, which to a large extent, are irrelevant when facing Denver.

Agent of Orange
11-13-2011, 11:43 PM
Maybe a complimentary post about complementary football, but, yeah. We won at Arrowhead, and that alone is worthy of compliments because it's so rare.

It is very hard to argue with a W, particularly when we never trailed and had a very nice 244 rushing yards. Of course, running 55 times SHOULD rack up lots of yards, and a 4.4 average (albeit with our second string back) is good but unremarkable. The D played a whale of game, only allowing the Chiefs a single score.* As long as we keep playing lights out D and gaining 4+ YPC we'll win more than we lose, but we won't be able to do the latter (and therefore ultimately not the former) unless we become consistently dangerous throwing downfield. Maybe the spectacle of so many NFL teams who've seemingly forgotten how to run has produced defences who've forgotten how to stop it (even our D managed to surrender 134 rushing yards but, inexplicably, only one score* in an otherwise exemplary performance.) The good ones still know how though, and it's a lot easier for all of them when they can load the box without fear of being burned deep (which was the nail in the coffin for KC.)

In that respect, it's also hard to fault all the runs when they chewed up the clock and rested our D while we had the lead, but I actually would've liked to see more passes from Tebow, because all but one of those he did throw looked good. The one into the dirt on 3rd down was the only really bad one (it's easy to track them all when there are only 8.) The first deep pass to Decker could have had a little more air, but only a DB coming in with his finger tips at the last minute prevented 1st and G; as it was Decker still got a hand on it despite falling backward. I don't expect any QB to throw a perfect pass every time, but all but one of Tebows looked plenty good enough to me, and that's the kind of play we need to see a lot of to prevent defences stacking the box on us and shutting down our run. The only complaint I have is that, with Decker currently 2nd only to Calvin Johnson for receiving TDs (though no less than 5 players in the Jets/Pats game could pass him) opponents will start looking for him just as diligently as Tebow does.

The biggest question now may be how badly Clady, McGahee and Moreno are hurt. :(

*The Chiefs FG down by 10 with 0:07 to play was pure prevent doing its job protecting the end zone, and thus a defensive win; if we don't miss a FG after our D stuffs them on 4th down, they don't even try one later.

Fox already said that McGahee could have gone back in if necessary today.

Tned
11-14-2011, 12:18 AM
Fox already said that McGahee could have gone back in if necessary today.

Unfortunately, that doesn't mean he'll be able to go on Thursday. Hopefully, he can.

Ziggy
11-14-2011, 02:35 AM
I wonder if Jeremiah Johnson gets his chance now. Folks were raving about him for a while in training camp. For some reason, we're carrying 2 fullbacks on the roster. It might be time to drop one and bring up another tailback.

Tned
11-14-2011, 08:43 AM
I wonder if Jeremiah Johnson gets his chance now. Folks were raving about him for a while in training camp. For some reason, we're carrying 2 fullbacks on the roster. It might be time to drop one and bring up another tailback.

Yea, I've been thinking that unless Moreno and McGahee somehow can go (seems unlikely) that they bring J. Johnson up off the practice squad and then either cut Quinn Johnson (FB they claimed off of waivers last month) or one of the other guys that have been inactive each week.