PDA

View Full Version : Bill Johnson Hired by Saints

Ziggy
01-11-2009, 12:46 PM
Bill Johnson, Denvers Dline coach and one of the names reported to have been kept on staff, has been hired as the new Dline coach for the New Orleans Saints.

http://neworleanssaints.com/Articles/2009/1/Saints%20Name%20Bill%20Johnson%20as%20Defensive%20 Line%20Coach.aspx

Saints Name Bill Johnson as Defensive Line Coach

NewOrleansSaints.com,
Saturday, January 10, 2009 - 6:40 PM

Bill Johnson was named the new defensive line coach for the New Orleans Saints this evening.

Johnson comes to the Saints following the past two seasons as the defensive line coach for the Denver Broncos.

Johnson joined the Broncos after working as the Atlanta Falcons’ defensive line coach for six seasons (2001-06). He spent his first 21 years in coaching as a college assistant and has worked at major Division I-A programs such as Texas A&M University (1992-99), the University of Arkansas (1990-91, 2000) and the University of Miami (1987).

During his first year on the Broncos’ staff in 2007, Johnson instructed a defensive line that led the AFC (T-2nd in NFL) with nine takeaways as his group totaled seven fumble recoveries and two interceptions. Second-year defensive end Elvis Dumervil tied for sixth in the NFL with 12.5 sacks, which were the most by a Bronco in eight seasons, and tied for the league lead in takeaways (4) among defensive linemen. Johnson also oversaw the development of defensive end Tim Crowder, whose four sacks tied for fifth among league rookies.

Instructing the Falcons’ defensive line from 2001-06, Johnson helped the club post the seventh-highest sack total in the NFL (3rd in NFC) with 242 quarterback takedowns during that period. Atlanta twice ranked in the league’s top 10 in both fewest rushing yards per game and fewest rushing yards per carry allowed, doing so during the 2004 and 2006 campaigns.

Johnson also instructed two Pro Bowl selections during his time with Atlanta in defensive end Patrick Kerney (2004) and defensive tackle Rod Coleman (2005). Coleman’s 28 sacks under Johnson’s tutelage from 2004-06 marked the highest total by an NFL defensive tackle and were 7.5 more than the next closest player. Kerney tied for ninth in the league with 53 sacks while working with Johnson from 2001-06 and three times recorded at least 10 sacks in a season (2001-02 and ‘04).

In 2006, he helped Atlanta rank ninth in the NFL in rushing defense (103.6 ypg.) to mark the club’s lowest such figure since 1998. The Falcons ranked sixth in the league in yards per carry (3.8) in 2006, also their best average in eight years.

Johnson’s defensive line with Atlanta in 2005 was led by Coleman, who earned the first Pro Bowl selection of his career and led all NFL defensive tackles with 10.5 sacks. Johnson’s group also helped Atlanta lead the NFL in third-down defense (30.2%) that year.

Atlanta reached the NFC Championship Game during the 2004 season and featured a Johnson-led defensive line that paved the way for the club to lead the NFL in sacks (48) for the first time in franchise history and tie for eighth in the league in run defense (105.1 ypg.). Kerney ranked fourth in the league with a career-best 13 quarterback takedowns to earn Pro Bowl honors while Coleman tied for the most sacks (11.5) among all NFL interior linemen that season.

The Falcons’ 47 sacks in 2002 tied for the second most in a season in club annals, and the team was led by Kerney’s second consecutive season with a double-digit sack total (12).

Johnson joined the Falcons in 2001 after working the previous 21 seasons as a collegiate assistant. His most recent collegiate job was at Arkansas, where he completed his second stint with the Razorbacks as their defensive line coach in 2000.

Johnson’s longest collegiate coaching stint occurred at Texas A&M, where he spent eight seasons (1992-99) as its defensive line coach under Head Coach R.C. Slocum. Johnson helped the Aggies advance to six bowl games (3 Cotton Bowls, 2 Alamo Bowls and 1 Sugar Bowl), earn three conference championships (2 Southwest Conference, 1 Big 12 Conference) and finish ranked in the Top 10 three times. He instructed nine defensive linemen who were selected in the NFL Draft in eight seasons at Texas A&M.

The Aggies were crowned SWC champions with Johnson coaching their defensive line in 1992 and 1993, finishing those seasons ranked seventh and eighth respectively in the nation. His defensive line also was a key part of Texas A&M’s 1998 team that won the Big 12 title.

Individually, Johnson instructed defensive lineman Sam Adams, who was a consensus All-American at Texas A&M in 1993 and was selected as the national defensive player of the year by Sports Illustrated. Adams, who had 10.5 sacks in 1993, was chosen by the Seattle Seahawks with the eighth overall pick in the 1994 NFL Draft. He also coached Brandon Mitchell in 1995 as the Texas A&M defensive lineman earned first-team All-America honors (Walter Camp).Johnson came to Texas A&M after coaching the defensive lines of Arkansas (1990-91) and Louisiana Tech University (1988-89).

As a graduate assistant under Head Coach Jimmy Johnson at Miami in 1987, Johnson primarily worked with the Hurricanes’ linebackers on a team that went 12-0 and was voted National Champions after a victory over top-ranked Oklahoma in the Orange Bowl.

Before joining Miami’s coaching staff, Johnson spent two years as an assistant at McNeese State University (Lake Charles, La.) coaching the school’s outside linebackers in 1986 and its defensive line in 1985.

He entered the coaching profession as a graduate assistant at his alma mater, Northwestern State University (Natchitoches, La.), in 1980 and served in that capacity for two seasons before coaching defensive ends/linebackers at the school from 1982-84. Johnson was a four-year letterwinner and two-year starter in football at Northwestern State.

claymore
01-11-2009, 12:47 PM
Whew........:ranger:

Ziggy
01-11-2009, 12:49 PM
There are a few of us in here that think Johnson was one of the problems on D. During his tenure, I rarely saw dvelopment worthy of note out of our Dlineman. I may be wrong on this, but I don't think this is a big loss. It may be more of an addition by subtraction, depending on who replaces him.

Mike
01-11-2009, 12:53 PM
Sweet.

gobroncsnv
01-11-2009, 12:55 PM
Also looks like he had a way to develop talent when he had something to work with.

Lonestar
01-11-2009, 01:25 PM
kind a wonder why he did virtually nothing here.. other than collect a paycheck and develop the worst DL in franchise history..

Den21vsBal19
01-11-2009, 01:31 PM
No great loss there :coffee:

drewloc
01-11-2009, 01:42 PM
Personally I don't think he was all that impressive even in his tenure with atlanta. Plus he only managed one good season out of Dumervil. There is definitely room for improvement.

dogfish
01-11-2009, 01:43 PM
:wave:

SmilinAssasSin27
01-11-2009, 02:09 PM
and the peasants rejoiced

nevcraw
01-11-2009, 02:39 PM
I'm really looking forward to a complete overhaul on the defensive side coaches and players. Nobody should be spared.. save for champ, but if they recieve a worthwile deal for him than all bets are off..
and please whomever takes over the D - how about remvong soft DB coverage from the playbook?

Lonestar
01-11-2009, 06:31 PM
:wave: do not let the dorr hit you in the ass on the way out

Edited for accuracy..

Broncolingus
01-11-2009, 06:33 PM
Yawn - who cares...

Bottom five (if not worst) DL in the league the past two years in a row IMO...of course, how much talent did he have to work with?

DenBronx
01-11-2009, 06:41 PM
would of been fired anyway by the new coach.

Tned
01-11-2009, 07:40 PM
I know popular opinion is that this is a good thing, but the fact he was one of only 6 coaches the Broncos front office didn't terminate and wanted the new HC to keep, along with the fact he was quickly snatched up, indicates the Broncos management might know more than us.

TXBRONC
01-11-2009, 08:01 PM
I know popular opinion is that this is a good thing, but the fact he was one of only 6 coaches the Broncos front office didn't terminate and wanted the new HC to keep, along with the fact he was quickly snatched up, indicates the Broncos management might know more than us.

How can it be Tned that Broncos management knows more than us? ;)

Bozo Jr.
01-11-2009, 08:23 PM
I'm certainly not shedding any tears here. Good luck Saints. Hahahaha!

broncofaninfla
01-12-2009, 09:16 AM
I guess the Saints want to suck on defense again next season?

LRtagger
01-12-2009, 09:46 AM
giggity giggity gooo

LRtagger
01-12-2009, 09:55 AM

Yea, and Im sure if Shanny declared he wanted to coach in 09, he would be snatched up in a split second...doesnt mean it is a bad move that he will be gone.

When you have absolutely no advancement from your defensive line, no matter what players you draft or sign...when your 17th overall pick DE cant even get on the field and has not developed at all since college, it is time for a change.

Johnson took over the job the year we drafted Moss and Crowder and I'm sure had some input on the selections...and he definitely should be held accountable for them busting.

Whether the FO and Saints know something we dont, after watching the Dline develop under Johnson the last couple years...I will not be sad to see him go at all.

Shazam!
01-12-2009, 09:58 AM
Good riddance. Denver deserves no holdovers on Defense. They need a clean slate and a fresh start. Nobody is guaranteed to be here in 2009 on Defense, even Champ sadly.

shank
01-12-2009, 10:49 AM

yeah, but like shanny repeated several times, results are what matter, and johnson yielded negatives.

Traveler
01-12-2009, 10:50 AM
Good riddance. Denver deserves no holdovers on Defense. They need a clean slate and a fresh start. Nobody is guaranteed to be here in 2009 on Defense, even Champ sadly.

Agree with everything except the Champ comment.

Lonestar
01-12-2009, 03:31 PM
Yea, and Im sure if Shanny declared he wanted to coach in 09, he would be snatched up in a split second...doesnt mean it is a bad move that he will be gone.

When you have absolutely no advancement from your defensive line, no matter what players you draft or sign...when your 17th overall pick DE cant even get on the field and has not developed at all since college, it is time for a change.

Johnson took over the job the year we drafted Moss and Crowder and I'm sure had some input on the selections...and he definitely should be held accountable for them busting.

Whether the FO and Saints know something we dont, after watching the Dline develop under Johnson the last couple years...I will not be sad to see him go at all.

IIRC Johnson came to town with the browncos he was a primary mover and shaker to get them here.. But I could be wrong on this..

Traveler
01-12-2009, 03:48 PM
IIRC Johnson came to town with the browncos he was a primary mover and shaker to get them here.. But I could be wrong on this..

Andre Patterson is the guy you are thinking about. Johnson was brought on board as a lure for Patrick Kearney. Guess that worked out well, huh?

Lonestar
01-12-2009, 03:55 PM
Andre Patterson is the guy you are thinking about. Johnson was brought on board as a lure for Patrick Kearney. Guess that worked out well, huh?

thanks for reminding me .. :salute:

GEM
01-12-2009, 05:00 PM
There are a few of us in here that think Johnson was one of the problems on D. During his tenure, I rarely saw dvelopment worthy of note out of our Dlineman. I may be wrong on this, but I don't think this is a big loss. It may be more of an addition by subtraction, depending on who replaces him.

:lol: Have fun with your DLine becoming completely non existent Saints.

GEM
01-12-2009, 05:04 PM

Defensive line has 2 jobs depending on position. Stop runners coming at you and penetrate the oline on the way to the qb. Our Dline did neither the last couple seasons. Perhaps he's a good coach, perhaps they know something more than us....but from the outside looking in, he did nothing to mold new players into better players, he did nothing to teach penetration and he did nothing that is what his job consists of. You're only as good a coach as the product you put on the field. Epic Fail.

Lonestar
01-12-2009, 05:07 PM
Defensive line has 2 jobs depending on position. Stop runners coming at you and penetrate the oline on the way to the qb. Our Dline did neither the last couple seasons. Perhaps he's a good coach, perhaps they know something more than us....but from the outside looking in, he did nothing to mold new players into better players, he did nothing to teach penetration and he did nothing that is what his job consists of. You're only as good a coach as the product you put on the field. Epic Fail .

edited for acuracy

tomjonesrocks
01-12-2009, 05:08 PM
Didn't someone say somewhere the organization saves money if you don't terminate a guy and he gets hired elsewhere?

If so, Denver could have known he was taking this job and intentionally didn't fire him to save some cash.

Anyway--a clean slate is needed so no loss whatsoever. Hopefully Tuten will find work elsewhere to perfect the staff.

Slick
01-12-2009, 05:36 PM
Why would any team in the NFL want any coach that had anything to do with this pathetic defense?

I'm glad he's gone, and I feel a little sorry for Saints fans.

shank
01-12-2009, 05:40 PM
will smith and sedrick ellis will be missed when johnson destroys their talent.

Slick
01-12-2009, 05:44 PM
will smith and sedrick ellis will be missed when johnson destroys their talent.

exactly, and add any incoming draft picks to that list