PDA

View Full Version : Broncos Narrow Head Coach Candidates Down To 3

Denver Native (Carol)
01-11-2009, 08:34 AM
http://cbs4denver.com/broncos/josh.mcdaniels.broncos.2.905035.html

Broncos Narrow Head Coach Candidates Down To 3

CBS4 Broncos Insider Gary Miller reports the Denver Broncos have narrowed their coaching search down to three candidates and one of them is a clear front-runner.

At the top of the list is New England Patriots offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels.

Broncos Vice President Joe Ellis flew out to Providence, Rhode Island, to conduct a second interview with McDaniels on Thursday night. McDaniels is the only coach so far who has had a second interview.

Minnesota defensive coordinator Leslie Frazier made a good impression during his interview in Denver earlier this week, so he is one of the favorites. He has also interviewed for the Detroit Lions job, so his availability could change if the Broncos don't act soon.

The Broncos are also very impressed with Tampa Bay Buccaneers defensive coordinator Raheem Morris and he remains in the running.

The Broncos now say that they're going to take a 24-hour cooling-off period and let things settle.

It can be presumed that taking a break is to wait and see what happens in the New York Giants/Philadelphia Eagles game on Sunday. If the Giants lose, then Broncos officials would be able to talk to defensive coordinator Steve Spagnuolo again.

omac
01-11-2009, 08:47 AM
Is there any confirmed source regarding McDaniels bringing in Capers? I'm leaning more towards this option now.

hamrob
01-11-2009, 10:57 AM
I think that came from Mcdaniels himself. The Broncos made each of the perspective coaches present to them who they would project as being on their coaching staffs. I believe that Mcdaniels said that he would hire Capers to be his Defensive Coordinator or Assistant Head Coach-Defense. I don't have the link, but I seem to recall Sheftler being the one that reported this initially.

lex
01-11-2009, 10:59 AM
This sucks. If theyre not going to hire the most qualified coach, then whats his face better work miracles from day 1.

hamrob
01-11-2009, 11:00 AM
I like Mcdaniels and we all know that Capers is a known commodity...but to be honest...I'd kind like some youth on the defensive side of the ball. Someone who can motivate these guys and get them to do things they don't know that they can do. I'm just not sure that's Capers.

Best case scenario to me: The Broncos hire 2 of their top 3 guys. One as headcoach and one as Assistant Headcoach-Defense. I'd love to see a Mcdaniels/Morris partnership!

OrangeHoof
01-11-2009, 12:04 PM
You always have to wonder about minority names on the list whether there is true interest or if it is Rooney Rule window dressing. I'd prefer a defensive guy rather than an offensive guy but if McDaniels seems like the next Shanny, I wouldn't be upset with that.

SmilinAssasSin27
01-11-2009, 12:22 PM
They interviewed 3 black dues and 2 are "finalists" according to the article. I wouldn't call any of it token.

SR
01-11-2009, 12:27 PM
I wonder if they said "that shit's wack".

I trust Bowlen. If Bowlen things McD is the best man for the job, then I'm on board.

lex
01-11-2009, 12:28 PM

I trust Bowlen. If Bowlen things McD is the best man for the job, then I'm on board.

I would say the same thing except for me, it would mean something totally different. For me its more, "If Bowlen things McD is the best man for the job, then I'm on bored."

topscribe
01-11-2009, 12:38 PM

Let me add that we aren't there interviewing these guys. We aren't the ones
getting inside their heads. We can express elation over one guy or our
disappointment over another, but in all actuality we don't know what the hell
we're talking about . . .

-----

Ziggy
01-11-2009, 12:39 PM
I like Mcdaniels and we all know that Capers is a known commodity...but to be honest...I'd kind like some youth on the defensive side of the ball. Someone who can motivate these guys and get them to do things they don't know that they can do. I'm just not sure that's Capers.

Best case scenario to me: The Broncos hire 2 of their top 3 guys. One as headcoach and one as Assistant Headcoach-Defense. I'd love to see a Mcdaniels/Morris partnership!

Morris is already defensive coordinator. To bring him in to run this defense, they would have to give him the title of defensive coordinator/assisstant head coach. I don't know if he would want to leave Tampa for that or not.

claymore
01-11-2009, 12:53 PM
Morris is already defensive coordinator. To bring him in to run this defense, they would have to give him the title of defensive coordinator/assisstant head coach. I don't know if he would want to leave Tampa for that or not.
Hopefully Gruden will get fired. And He will be available. :D

Italianmobstr7
01-11-2009, 01:07 PM
This sucks. If theyre not going to hire the most qualified coach, then whats his face better work miracles from day 1.

You've been crying about this the whole time. Get over it man. If we don't get Spags, we don't get him. I'm sure we'll do just fine with any of the other coaches that we get. I think that the Broncos ownership knows more about hiring a coach than any of us do.

Lonestar
01-11-2009, 01:20 PM

I could see one or the other undermining each other to curry favor with eh owner or GM..

I think McDaniel's and bringing in a proven DC like Capers the better idea he would most likely KNOW that he has had a couple of chances as HC and realize it is not for HIM.. whereas morris could be either using it as a stepping stone to a HC job or undermining Josh to try and get his job.. kind a like slowick did to bates when he was here..

Denver Native (Carol)
01-11-2009, 01:36 PM
You've been crying about this the whole time. Get over it man. If we don't get Spags, we don't get him. I'm sure we'll do just fine with any of the other coaches that we get. I think that the Broncos ownership knows more about hiring a coach than any of us do.

Also, it was reported that Spags is, or will be labeled in NY - head coach in waiting. If this is true, I would think possibly the Giants management would have to throw a few more bucks in his paycheck, to keep him. And, if this is true, why would Spags want to relocate, etc. to another city to be a head coach, when he can stay where he is, stay with a team/situation he is familiar with, and comfortable with?

silkamilkamonico
01-11-2009, 02:43 PM

I totally agree.

McDaniels, Frazier, Spagnuolo, and Morris are all under qualified and would be mistakes.

Little disappointed with the candidates that have been narrowed down.

lex
01-11-2009, 02:46 PM
I totally agree.

McDaniels, Frazier, Spagnuolo, and Morris are all under qualified and would be mistakes.

Nur, nur, nur.

silkamilkamonico
01-11-2009, 02:48 PM
I think Bowlen should hire an interim head coach for one season and then go after Cowher or Holmgren.

Much rather take my chance on one of them and not getting either than hiring one of these underqualified coordinators.

nevcraw
01-11-2009, 02:52 PM
I totally agree.

Apparently the Broncos Owner (you know the man in charge of a billion dollar company) begs to differ... but what does he know?

silkamilkamonico
01-11-2009, 02:55 PM
Apparently the Broncos Owner (you know the man in charge of a billion dollar company) begs to differ... but what does he know?

He knew Mike Shanahan, and kept him about 6 years too long.

topscribe
01-11-2009, 02:59 PM
He knew Mike Shanahan, and kept him about 6 years too long.

Of course, that's your opinion.

Mine is that Pat might have fired Shanny a year too early. :whoknows:

-----

broncohead
01-11-2009, 03:02 PM
I think Bowlen should hire an interim head coach for one season and then go after Cowher or Holmgren.

Much rather take my chance on one of them and not getting either than hiring one of these underqualified coordinators.

None of the coaches on our radar will leave their jobs for a 1 year head coaching job just to be let go. And who says those two coaches will want to go to Denver?

silkamilkamonico
01-11-2009, 03:05 PM
Of course, that's your opinion.

Mine is that Pat might have fired Shanny a year too early. :whoknows:

-----

It is, and 4 years too late is probably more appropriate.

I don't know about a year too early though. His last 3 years have been average. He finally got his QB, and he finally got his offense, and he still couldn't make the playoffs. He continued to show an ill regard for the defense by neglecting the development of the dline, which is the one unit almost every defensive minded SuperBowl coach prioritizes. I just think it all finally caught up to him.

silkamilkamonico
01-11-2009, 03:07 PM
None of the coaches on our radar will leave their jobs for a 1 year head coaching job just to be let go. And who says those two coaches will want to go to Denver?

It's just wishful thinking on my part.

It's just unfortunate that it's a year where all the qualified capable coaches with experience that are available aren't really ready for whatever reason.

Getting a young coordinator might be nice, it just has a much lower rate of success.

MOtorboat
01-11-2009, 03:07 PM
It's just wishful thinking on my part.

It's just unfortunate that it's a year where all the qualified capable coaches with experience that are available aren't really ready for whatever reason.

Getting a young coordinator might be nice, it just has a much lower rate of success.

Otherwise known as retreads.

silkamilkamonico
01-11-2009, 03:09 PM
Otherwise known as retreads.

If retreads mean you've been a SuperBowl winner, have had success everywhere you've coached, and went out on your own terms and wasn't fired, then Denver could only be so lucky to get a "retread".

At least we would know one thing for sure. He would succeed.

Lonestar
01-11-2009, 03:10 PM
If retreads mean you've been a SuperBowl winner, have had success everywhere you've coached, and went out on your own terms and wasn't fired, then Denver could only be so lucky to get a "retread".

Hell mikey will be available next year after a year off how many would go for that..

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh: :laugh:

MOtorboat
01-11-2009, 03:11 PM

Really?

How many Super Bowls did Holmgren win in Seattle?

HOF caliber coaches who change jobs don't win Super Bowls. They do alright, and they keep winning, but they don't win Super Bowls, kind of like the last 11 years in Denver.

I liked winning and always being in it, but it grows old after a while.

The only example I can think of where it worked was last year's Giants, maybe...because Coughlin certainly wasn't HOF material.

nevcraw
01-11-2009, 03:16 PM

No guarrantee either Homgren nor Cowher could make this team a winner. In fact history shows otherwise. Name one coach who has won a SB with 2 diff. teams?
And you really want to give one guy total control, again?
I'd take my chances on younger hungrier guys who are less demanding in their own personal needs with a ton of upside.

silkamilkamonico
01-11-2009, 03:17 PM
Really?

How many Super Bowls did Holmgren win in Seattle?

He won 1 with Green Bay. Holmgren = SuperBowl winner. If you don't think he was a success in Seattle because he didn't win a SuperBowl, you would be foolish.

The only example I can think of where it worked was last year's Giants, maybe...because Coughlin certainly wasn't HOF material.

It would be easy to create an argument against an opinion that he wasn't HoF material before. He had a better career in Jacksonville than 80% of NFL coaches who ever coached. Maybe not surefire HoF candidacy, but certainly more than a mere success.

silkamilkamonico
01-11-2009, 03:19 PM
No guarrantee either Homgren nor Cowher could make this team a winner. In fact history shows otherwise. Name one coach who has won a SB with 2 diff. teams?
And you really want to give one guy total control, again?
I'd take my chances on younger hungrier guys who are less demanding in their own personal needs with a ton of upside.

Not sure where you're going with that one. Neither Holmgren or Cowher had total control when they stepped down from their respective positions.

I'd take my chances on proven guys. Young and hungry guys fail at a rate of about 90%.

MOtorboat
01-11-2009, 03:19 PM
He won 1 with Green Bay. Holmgren = SuperBowl winner.

In Green Bay.

How many did he win in Seattle?

silkamilkamonico
01-11-2009, 03:21 PM
In Green Bay.

How many did he win in Seattle?

0 in Seattle. It doesn't disprove my comment of him being a SuperBowl winner.

And if you think he wasn't a success in Seattle because he didn't win a SuperBowl, you would be foolishly mistaken.

nevcraw
01-11-2009, 03:22 PM

And if you think he wasn't a success in Seattle because he didn't win a SuperBowl, you would be foolishly mistaken.

so much so he was demoted.. Congrats to Holmgren!!!

MOtorboat
01-11-2009, 03:23 PM

Winning a Super Bowl doesn't prove you'll win another.

silkamilkamonico
01-11-2009, 03:26 PM
so much so he was demoted.. Congrats to Holmgren!!!

He was demoted, then took his team to a SuperBowl. Keep reachin'......

nevcraw
01-11-2009, 03:29 PM
Not sure where you're going with that one. Neither Holmgren or Cowher had total control when they stepped down from their respective positions.

I'd take my chances on proven guys. Young and hungry guys fail at a rate of about 90%.

You would be mistaken to think that would not be part of their demands - Total control. It's been widly reported Cohwer will only go somwhere that will give him that power and Holmgren is a big question mark with his constant "retirement" threats..
No thanks to retreads...

yardog
01-11-2009, 03:32 PM
Hell mikey will be available next year after a year off how many would go for that..

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

With a GM in place and a proven DC I would take it every time. :beer:

silkamilkamonico
01-11-2009, 03:32 PM
You would be mistaken to think that would not be part of their demands - Total control. It's been widly reported Cohwer will only go somwhere that will give him that power and Holmgren is a big question mark with his constant "retirement" threats..
No thanks to retreads...

Holmgren has already stated he doesn't want to have GM duties if ever coaches again, so there goes that argument.

Cowher doesn't want power, he wants his own people. That seems logical for a coach who knows how to win in the NFL.

No thanks to a 10% success rate...

nevcraw
01-11-2009, 03:33 PM
He was demoted, then took his team to a SuperBowl. Keep reachin'......

Easy dude.. It's my opinion that the broncos are better off with youth movement at coach as what has transpired with the players. If they wanted proven SB winning coach with a great resume they would have kept Shanny.. No need to swap one for another for the same result..

silkamilkamonico
01-11-2009, 03:41 PM
Easy dude.. It's my opinion that the broncos are better off with youth movement at coach as what has transpired with the players. If they wanted proven SB winning coach with a great resume they would have kept Shanny.. No need to swap one for another for the same result..

I disagree about Shanny. His marginal record the last few seasons speaks for itself. If he was more like Holmgren and was forced to step down from GM duties, he'd probably still be here, and Denver would be a lot better off then what they are now.

nevcraw
01-11-2009, 03:41 PM
Holmgren has already stated he doesn't want to have GM duties if ever coaches again, so there goes that argument.

Cowher doesn't want power, he wants his own people. That seems logical for a coach who knows how to win in the NFL.

No thanks to a 10% success rate...

I did not realize that you had insider info in contract demands of coaches..
10%??? did you make that up?

anyway - 10% beats 0%. 0% of coaches who have won SB's with one team have gone on to win a SB with another team.. And few of the coaches were more succsesful than Cowher or Holgren.

silkamilkamonico
01-11-2009, 03:45 PM
I did not realize that you had insider info in contract demands of coaches..
10%??? did you make that up?

I don't. I just read the articles. The one posted here about Cowher a couple weeks ago indicated itself that he would want to bring his own GM in.

anyway - 10% beats 0%. 0% of coaches who have won SB's with one team have gone on to win a SB with another team.. And few of the coaches were more succsesful than Cowher or Holgren.

Denver shouldn't be thinking SuperBowls until they get established team that can compete for their division. 1 Division title in 10 years.......We need someone who can come in and solidify the organization. The worst defense in Denver since 1963? Yea, half the team is in shambles right now, not to mention the poor not so special teams.

MOtorboat
01-11-2009, 03:47 PM
I don't. I just read the articles. The one posted here about Cowher a couple weeks ago indicated itself that he would want to bring his own GM in.

Personally, I read it as he wanted to BE the GM...maybe I missed something.

Italianmobstr7
01-11-2009, 03:47 PM
All this arguing is really moot. We won't be hiring Holmgren or Cowher. We'll be hiring 1 of 4 guys probably. Mcdaniels, Morris, Frazier, or Spags. According to the article the "clear frontrunner" is Mcdaniels. It really doesn't matter if ANY of us like it. That's how it's going to be. You either support the team and the decision or you don't. Either way, there's nothing that any of us can do about it. I have faith in Pat Bowlen and the rest of the Broncos upper management to hire a new coach.

silkamilkamonico
01-11-2009, 03:49 PM
Personally, I read it as he wanted to BE the GM...maybe I missed something.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3799959

Initially, ESPN.com's John Clayton reported that Cowher told the Jets he was not interested because he wanted his own personnel director.

MOtorboat
01-11-2009, 03:51 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3799959

I guess I interpret that as him wanting as much control as Shanahan had here, and that's what backfired.

silkamilkamonico
01-11-2009, 03:51 PM
We won't be hiring Holmgren or Cowher. We'll be hiring 1 of 4 guys probably. Mcdaniels, Morris, Frazier, or Spags. According to the article the "clear frontrunner" is Mcdaniels.

I disagree with who that article "thinks" is the frontrunner. That's pure speculation. I even read that article by Bill Williamson(or whomever) saying it was down to McDaniel's or Morris, that they were the frontrunner, but if the Giants lose Spagnuolo could jump into the mix. All that means nobody has a clue who the frontrunenr is and it's all pure speculation.

I believe the DEnver brass favors one of the guys you mentioned, but I hardly think they've commented to any writer or analyst saying who they favor.

It's all speculation by the media.

silkamilkamonico
01-11-2009, 03:53 PM
I guess I interpret that as him wanting as much control as Shanahan had here, and that's what backfired.

He wants control of the people that have the say in bringing his personnel here, he doesn't necessarily want to be the one in charge of that. There's a significant difference between that, and Shanny's position with Denver.

Italianmobstr7
01-11-2009, 03:54 PM
I disagree with who that article "thinks" is the frontrunner. That's pure speculation. I even read that article by Bill Williamson(or whomever) saying it was down to McDaniel's or Morris, that they were the frontrunner, but if the Giants lose Spagnuolo could jump into the mix. All that means nobody has a clue who the frontrunenr is and it's all pure speculation.

I believe the DEnver brass favors one of the guys you mentioned, but I hardly think they've commented to any writer or analyst saying who they favor.

Well here's one thing we know. It won't be Holmgren or Cowher like you want! I'd be thrilled with Spags, and happy with Mcdaniel. I really will be happy once this search is over. But you're wasting all of your energy arguing about Cowher and Holmgren when it's quite clear that neither of them will be the Broncos next head coach.

MOtorboat
01-11-2009, 03:55 PM

They are reporting what they hear from Dove Valley. Some of it may be smoke-screen type material from Dove Valley, but it's not like its total speculation.

MOtorboat
01-11-2009, 03:56 PM
He wants control of the people that have the say in bringing his personnel here, he doesn't necessarily want to be the one in charge of that. There's a significant difference between that, and Shanny's position with Denver.

He wants total control. Its the same exact thing.

silkamilkamonico
01-11-2009, 03:56 PM
Well here's one thing we know. It won't be Holmgren or Cowher like you want! I'd be thrilled with Spags, and happy with Mcdaniel. I really will be happy once this search is over. But you're wasting all of your energy arguing about Cowher and Holmgren when it's quite clear that neither of them will be the Broncos next head coach.

Perhaps you missed the not serious "Denver should hire an interim coach for a year" comment. I realize it isn't going to be a proven candidate. That doesn't mean an opinion can't be made of who I would rather have.

nevcraw
01-11-2009, 03:57 PM

Pure semantics..

silkamilkamonico
01-11-2009, 04:00 PM
They are reporting what they hear from Dove Valley. Some of it may be smoke-screen type material from Dove Valley, but it's not like its total speculation.

No, it's total speculation. They heard Morris had a 4 hour interview and it went well, so they immediately tagged him as a favorite. Then they heard McDaniel had a second interview, so they tagged him the favorite.

Seriously, I highly doubt for one second that Bowlen or any of the Denver brass made a comment along the lines of, "we interviewed these 7 people, and McDaniels and Morris are our current favorites, with a strong possibility of Spagnuolo if the giants lose", or anything along those lines.

It's pure speculation, especially when you see articles by Mortenson, who's almost been fired numerous of times for stating "insider information" without respected sources who turned out to be completely wrong.

silkamilkamonico
01-11-2009, 04:00 PM
Pure semantics..

...speculatively speaking.

silkamilkamonico
01-11-2009, 04:02 PM
Oh, looks like the Eagles are going to win.

Maybe this now means that Spagnuolo will leap from Morris and McDaniles as the current favorite...

:D

nevcraw
01-11-2009, 04:03 PM
well with the giants losing big, we will get to see what the Broncos want to do as far as Spags in concerned as early as tomorrow..

TXBRONC
01-11-2009, 07:36 PM

There's a significant difference? I don't know how anyone could come to that conclusion because there isn't a bit difference. Cowher still would want total control.

lex
01-11-2009, 07:39 PM
well with the giants losing big, we will get to see what the Broncos want to do as far as Spags in concerned as early as tomorrow..

Yeah, hopefully he Pat is wearing a disguise trying to get to Spags tonight the way he did with Shanahan.

Bronco Bible
01-11-2009, 08:13 PM

Silk say your just joking about Holmgren