PDA

View Full Version : MdDaniels 2nd Interview, Was Thursday

Tebow4Ever
01-10-2009, 03:22 PM
According to this Piece by Adam Shefter, Bowlen and staff had a 2nd interview in Boston Thursday night With Mcdaniels. I didnt know if this had been posted, I didnt see it anywhere. Interesting piece.

http://blogs.nfl.com/2009/01/10/denver-narrows-list-of-coaching-candidates/

Ziggy
01-10-2009, 03:24 PM
They did a great job keeping that one quiet until today.

Lonestar
01-10-2009, 03:26 PM
Adam Schefter
Denver narrows list of coaching candidates
Posted: Adam Schefter | Adam Schefter | Tags: Denver Broncos, Josh McDaniels

At this time last week, in this space, it was suggested that New England offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels was the leading candidate for the Broncos head coaching job. The point is still valid, only now it’s stronger.

Broncos chief operating officer Joe Ellis spent five and a half hours in Massachusetts on Thursday night, conducting a second interview with McDaniels in which he was said to be just as impressive as he was in his first meeting with a full contingent of Denver officials.

Now there is a growing concern in Foxboro, Mass., that the Patriots are on the verge of losing their offensive coordinator, the man who is in charge of the offense and helped elevate the play of quarterbacks Tom Brady and Matt Cassel.

Though Denver refuses to say anything, it clearly has McDaniels in its list of a select few finalists. The others are thought to be Vikings defensive coordinator Leslie Frazier and Buccaneers defensive coordinator Raheem Morris.

But Denver has been so busy this week that is is possible, even likely, that it will make its move as early as Monday and introduce the next coach of the Broncos early this week.

The Broncos also have made it clear that, even though their defense is in disrepair, they want to hire the best head coach, even if he doesn’t come from the defensive side of the football.

SmilinAssasSin27
01-10-2009, 03:29 PM
best HEAD COACH. That's all I ask. Be it McD, Spags or Morris. We can find a better DC and we won't have Shanny to make the poor defensive personnel decisions.

SR
01-10-2009, 03:45 PM
best HEAD COACH. That's all I ask. Be it McD, Spags or Morris. We can find a better DC and we won't have Shanny to make the poor defensive personnel decisions.

That's pretty much where I'm at too. I want the best head coach. We can hire a solid defensive coordinator without hiring a defensive minded coach and still have a solid defense as long as we can bring in some solid free agents and have a good draft.

BroncoWave
01-10-2009, 03:48 PM
Exactly. It won't be the end of the world if we don't get a defensive minded HC. I'm much more concerned about who McDaniels picks as his DC because THAT is what will determine how much better our defense gets. And seeing as Bowlen and Co. seem to be enamored with McD, that's good enough for me at this point, because the guys doing those interviews have probably forgotten more football than most of us will ever know.

PatricktheDookie
01-10-2009, 03:55 PM
It could be worse.

DenBronx
01-10-2009, 03:55 PM
looks like mcdaniels is our guy. so why not try and intice morris or spag with assistant head coach/dc with a raise? that way if mcdaniels doesnt work out we can just promote spag or morris?

i really like mcdaniels and his spread offense. we can mix in a solid running game and not compromise our air attack. maybe sign jacobs as our only free agent and draft all defense.

SR
01-10-2009, 04:05 PM
Signing a high profile RB should be the last of our worries.

Tebow4Ever
01-10-2009, 04:07 PM
Signing a high profile RB should be the last of our worries.

We Keep Hillis..we are ok 8-)

TXBRONC
01-10-2009, 04:09 PM
That's pretty much where I'm at too. I want the best head coach. We can hire a solid defensive coordinator without hiring a defensive minded coach and still have a solid defense as long as we can bring in some solid free agents and have a good draft.

If it is McDaniel and he brings in Dom Capers like it has been rumored we should be fine.

Tned
01-10-2009, 04:17 PM
looks like mcdaniels is our guy. so why not try and intice morris or spag with assistant head coach/dc with a raise? that way if mcdaniels doesnt work out we can just promote spag or morris?

i really like mcdaniels and his spread offense. we can mix in a solid running game and not compromise our air attack. maybe sign jacobs as our only free agent and draft all defense.

Not sure about Morris, but I doubt there is any way that Spags leaves to be assistant head coach defense. He is one of the hotter HC candidates. He is coming off a SB win, and they 'could' win another.

In NY, he is leading a defense that is playing great and he is getting all the credit, so he is a hot HC candidate.

If he comes to Denver, he is still a DC, but now he is running a defense of much less talented players, and if he doesn't turn it around very quickly, he quickly loses his 'star status' and the chance of him getting a HC job is much less.

There is no upside for Spags coming to Denver as a DC (assistant head coach - defense).

As to signing a RB like Jacobs and no defensive free agents, that would be a huge mistake. The Broncos need to get a stud, every down, defensive end via free agency. That will cost some bucks, but that's what they need.

SmilinAssasSin27
01-10-2009, 04:23 PM
The Broncos need to get a stud, every down, defensive end via free agency. That will cost some bucks, but that's what they need.

But there won't be any available.

underrated29
01-10-2009, 04:24 PM
suggs baby. Suggs.

Esp. if we move to a 3-4.

SmilinAssasSin27
01-10-2009, 04:25 PM
suggs baby. Suggs.

Esp. if we move to a 3-4.

OLB

The best DE we'll have a shot at is Chris Canty of Dallas...and that too will be if we go 3-4.

SmilinAssasSin27
01-10-2009, 04:27 PM
and Suggs wil be EXPENSIVE.

I think we should go for young stable talent that won't break the bank. Leroy Hill, Michael Boley and Karlos Dansby all fit the mold at OLB.

Scarface
01-10-2009, 04:29 PM

Julius Peppers is a FA, right?

SmilinAssasSin27
01-10-2009, 04:31 PM
Julius Peppers is a FA, right?

yeah, but the Panther fans that I have talked to seem to think there is ZERO chance he leaves. Played college ball at UNC, then became a Panther. Plus the team will do what it takes to keep him. They don't have a bunch of overblown contracts as they are young all over.

underrated29
01-10-2009, 04:35 PM
peppers will get the Franchise tag. He aint going anywhere.

I would love dansby, he is awesome. But i dont think they let him walk either.

Who cares who we break the bank on. We are going to have to do it. We dont stand a chance unles we bring in an impact player at one of our dire needs.

S,MLB/OLB, DE,DT- we cant draft stars at all those positions this year.

Benetto
01-10-2009, 04:38 PM
I'd rather have a defensive coach...Defenses win Championships, Offenses keep you in the game.

Spags, Spags, Spags!!!!:defense::defense::defense:

Tned
01-10-2009, 04:44 PM

Peppers?
Haynesworth?

Not sure who else will be free agents. I know Haynesworth is a DT, but he lines up in both spots,and he would still help the line.

Tned
01-10-2009, 04:47 PM
So, the big question, once again, is if it is McDaniels, does he retain Bates, Dennison or Turner.

Does he take his offensive scheme and blend it with what the Broncos were already doing well.

SmilinAssasSin27
01-10-2009, 04:58 PM
peppers will get the Franchise tag. He aint going anywhere.

I would love dansby, he is awesome. But i dont think they let him walk either.

Who cares who we break the bank on. We are going to have to do it. We dont stand a chance unles we bring in an impact player at one of our dire needs.

S,MLB/OLB, DE,DT- we cant draft stars at all those positions this year.

We don't HAVE to break the bank on anyone. Great teams do it thru the draft. We did it that way, w/ a few finishing touches. NE, Pitt, Bmore all won w/ their drafted players.

BroncoWave
01-10-2009, 05:30 PM
I'd rather have a defensive coach...Defenses win Championships, Offenses keep you in the game.

Spags, Spags, Spags!!!!:defense::defense::defense:

It's all about the DC we bring in. The HC isn't going to be coaching the defense, he has to worry about managing the whole team. You can bring in the best DC in the world as your HC but if he doesn't bring in a good DC it's all for naught. I find it funny that people think bringing in Spags will automatically cure our defense. I think he'd make a fine HC but our defense could be just as good under McDaniels if he brings in a kickass DC.

BroncoJoe
01-10-2009, 05:32 PM
Posted this originally in the wrong thread, but it would look like Josh will get in peoples face. Even his boss:

http://blog.cleveland.com/browns_impact/2008/12/medium_joshmcdaniel.jpg

Or QB (which IMO Cutler needs)

http://multimedia.heraldinteractive.com/images/abb42b6dea_Josh_01032009.JPG

JONtheBRONCO
01-10-2009, 05:32 PM
I don't know if this has been posted and I'm too lazy to check around the site...

According to ESPN's Chris Mortensen, the two leading candidates for the Broncos head coaching job are Vikings DC Leslie Frazier and Patriots OC Josh McDaniels.

Early word had McDaniels as the clear front-runner, but Frazier is picking up steam as he continues to leave teams impressed during the interview process. Whether it's Denver or elsewhere, it's looking more and more likely that Frazier's time has come.

Source: Minneapolis Star-Tribune

JONtheBRONCO
01-10-2009, 06:49 PM
Quick read on Fraizer's career thus far... Pretty impressive.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leslie_Frazier

Tned
01-10-2009, 07:08 PM
Quick read on Fraizer's career thus far... Pretty impressive.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leslie_Frazier

Somewhat impressive. It was clearly written to be flattering to him. His time in Cincy wasn't as 'great' as the Wiki articles makes it sound, which is why he was fired, or 'dismissed' as they say.

In '04, Cincy was 19th in overall defense, 26th against the rush, 13th against the pass, and 21st in scoring. The only thing they really did well was the takeaways.

After getting fired, he became a DB's coach for Indy, and then in '07 took over Tomlin's defense in Minn.

Here are the rankings in '06 under Tomlin and '08 under Frazier:

'06
8th overall
1st rush D
31st Pass D
14th Scoring D

6th overall
1st rush D
18th Pass D
13th Scoring

So, while the pass defense did improve, otherwise the defense was pretty much the same under Tomlin and Frazier. In '05, the Minn pass defense was 22nd, so the '06 massive fall off could have been an anomoly or due to injuries or something.

Anyway, I don't know enough about him to be real sure, but based on what I see I'm not completely impressed.

WARHORSE
01-10-2009, 07:56 PM
Frazier doesnt appeal to me whatsoever. Nothing against him, I just think that defense was stellar BEFORE he got there. They got two of the best DTs in the game, and have Jared Allen come in during FAgency.

Whats so stellar about a guy inheriting THAT defense?

McDaniels is the man.

PatricktheDookie
01-10-2009, 07:59 PM
Listening to Frazier talk, I think Romo is smarter than him...

Ziggy
01-10-2009, 08:55 PM
Peppers?
Haynesworth?

Not sure who else will be free agents. I know Haynesworth is a DT, but he lines up in both spots,and he would still help the line.

Another name to look at is Chris Canty out of Dallas. He's an extremely underrated DE with a nonstop motor that can play in both a 3-4 and 4-3 defense.

Requiem / The Dagda
01-10-2009, 08:57 PM
Frazier is a great coordinator, he is one of my top three.

claymore
01-10-2009, 08:58 PM

If we dont call him, somethings up.

underrated29
01-10-2009, 09:03 PM
Posted this originally in the wrong thread, but it would look like Josh will get in peoples face. Even his boss:

LOL- cower had the chin. Gruden has the stare. Our new HC will have the finger!

broncobryce
01-10-2009, 09:09 PM
I'd like to give a few people here the "finger"........:D

omac
01-10-2009, 09:14 PM

"You're the man-genius."

"Who's the MVP?!?!"

Maybe he wasn't getting in their faces? :D

omac
01-10-2009, 09:17 PM

Yeah, and if he follows the way of one of his former mentors, Dungy, he'll leave the Broncos offense alone like Dungy did with the Colts.

Shazam!
01-11-2009, 01:08 AM
I WANT MCDANIELS.

I want someone from the Patriots organization.

Back in the 90's, we needed someone from the 49ers franchise, a team that was at the time the cream of the crop of the NFL to bring that kind of mindset to the Broncos.

Denver will name it's Coach next week. If the NYG win tomorrow, I expect it to be McDaniels. If the Giants go down, it could be Spags.

The NYG are also at the top of the NFC heap. That couldn't hurt either.

I don't think the NYG will lose. The odds are against them. It'd be the first time I think all top seeded team lost consecutive games in the Divisional playoffs. Philly is obviously at NY. Some may think it's ridiculous to think that way, but for 2 # 1's and a #2 to all lose together in the same weekend? The odds aren't good. One #1 will pull it off. The Giants.

Superchop 7
01-11-2009, 01:40 AM
Are you naive ?

From the moment Bowlen fired Shanahan, this was the choice.

Everything else is semantics and politics.

That being said.

In the NFL world.....you can't just "hire" a guy.

There is due diligence.

At the end of the day........I like the choice. (Since Jim Johnson is too old to know anything about football)

Don't get me started.

Kinda funny, My thread entitled "Worst linebacking in the history of pro football" got me kicked off Bronco Country.

(In hindsight it was 20/20)

REASON ???

"Apparently doesn't want to be a part of the boards"

However......they still let me blog.

Right up until I mentioned Jim Johnson. (Now kicked off everything)

Just sayin.

The Broncos do what they do.

In this case.

They did good. (Coaching decision)

I call em like I see em.

Sure.......to do a 3-4 they have to replace a ton of people.

Well, I want em gone anyway.

Works for me.

fcspikeit
01-11-2009, 03:08 AM
Are you naive ?

That being said.

There is due diligence.

At the end of the day........I like the choice. (Since Jim Johnson is too old to know anything about football)

Don't get me started.

Kinda funny, My thread entitled "Worst linebacking in the history of pro football" got me kicked off Bronco Country.

REASON ???

Just sayin.

In this case.

I call em like I see em.

Works for me.

Who are you saying is the guy, Mcdaniels?

PatricktheDookie
01-11-2009, 03:08 AM
Are you naive ?

That being said.

There is due diligence.

Don't get me started.

REASON ???

Just sayin.

In this case.

I call em like I see em.

Works for me.

Is this in poetry form?

I could swear I heard a hand drum beat in the background while reading that.

*snaps fingers*

Bozo Jr.
01-11-2009, 08:37 PM
No to McD. That coaching staff in NE is tainted. I don't want any part of that here in Denver.