PDA

View Full Version : I aim to misbehave...

Javalon
08-30-2007, 02:54 PM
What penalties would you change and how?

One penalty I feel is too strong is the offensive holding penalty. 10 yards is appropriate on occasion when the play would have resulted in around a 10 yard loss if not for the hold. But most of the time the defensive play would have resulted in something much smaller.

On a running play, what if the running back was at the line of scrimmage when the hold occurred? Is it fair to march the ball back 10 yards from there? I think not.

I would suggest reducing the penalty to 5 yards or spot of the ball when the foul occurred, whichever is longer. Or make it a pure spot of the ball foul but add a loss of down.

But a straight 10 yard loss is fairly often just too harsh and kills too many drives.

What do you think? And what other penalties do you have issues with?

Tned
08-30-2007, 02:58 PM
I think more times than not the spot foul on pass interference is a joke. I think that should be 15 at most. Yes, you do have times when what would have been a 60 yard TD is stopped by PI, but the reality is that a lot of them are barely PI to begin with and spot fouls are too much.

I agree about holding. 10 seems very steep, IMO.

Javalon
08-30-2007, 03:12 PM
I think more times than not the spot foul on pass interference is a joke. I think that should be 15 at most. Yes, you do have times when what would have been a 60 yard TD is stopped by PI, but the reality is that a lot of them are barely PI to begin with and spot fouls are too much.

I agree about holding. 10 seems very steep, IMO.

Yeah, the spot foul on a deep pass interference isn't always appropriate. But sometimes it is, too. I wonder if they could grade the severity of the foul. Blatant ones get a spot foul while little touch fould get 10 or 15 yards. Of course, that adds more subjectivity by the refs which will create more controversy.

In-com-plete
08-30-2007, 03:19 PM
The tuck rule.

If it looks like the QB is gonna tuck the ball and he fumbles then it should be a fumble. None of this "But his arm was moving forward so it's a pass" BS. Make it's the refs judgement wether he was gonna throw it or not.

I can't believe the haven't changed that.

topscribe
08-30-2007, 03:23 PM
Yeah, the spot foul on a deep pass interference isn't always appropriate. But sometimes it is, too. I wonder if they could grade the severity of the foul. Blatant ones get a spot foul while little touch fould get 10 or 15 yards. Of course, that adds more subjectivity by the refs which will create more controversy.
That was my reaction until I got to your qualifier. Still, were it go back to 15
yards (that is what it was at one time), an exception such as that would be
needed, IMO. I can see where the DB judges the pass as a sure 40-yard
reception, so he reaches out and just pulls down the receiver. That would
have to be a spot foul, it would seem.

-----

broncosfanscott
08-30-2007, 04:46 PM
I agree with the PI call. Reducing the penalty to about 15 yards, you don't have QBs trying to fling the ball down field just trying to get a PI call.

One thing I have a problem with is not a peticular penalty. It is the fact that some penalties are called that have nothing to do with the play.....like on the opposite side of the field. I saw one in the Den/Cle game and Scheffler was called for PI and the ball wasn't even going to him.

Watchthemiddle
08-30-2007, 04:50 PM
I would change the coach running on the field during a punt return penalty.

:protest:

And, the celebration after a TD being delay of game. I think celebration done in good taste has a place in the NFL without a penalty.

broncosfanscott
08-30-2007, 05:05 PM
I would change the coach running on the field during a punt return penalty.

:protest:

And, the celebration after a TD being delay of game. I think celebration done in good taste has a place in the NFL without a penalty.

Totally forgot about that. I see a couple of players step on the field when a player is about ten yds. from scoring on a kickoff or punt and are called for too many men on the field.

Players should be able to celebrate after a TD. Now if it last for a few minutes then it is different. Spiking the ball or doing a quick dance with fellow teammates is all in good fun.

Lonestar
08-30-2007, 06:55 PM
While the penalties seem harsh, they have to deter the defense from doing it again, in Javs point the OL. There has to be a deterrence factor or the game deteriorates to the point where rules are ignored. folks get hurt. Most of the time the flags even out.

do you really want to see a long TD type pass get just a 5 10 yard penalty late in the game deep in your territory?

arapaho2
08-30-2007, 07:44 PM
well i used to agree on the PI...but as im wiser as well as older i can see where a defender on a last drive with a few seconds left, and knowing a deep completion would set up a game winning fg..would rather grb the guy and get the fifteen, which still might not be fg range, so a deliberate penelty would help his team win...is not good for the game

but i would even out the offensive side...make offensive interferance a 5 to 15 yard penelty depending on the position on the field when it was commited

like within five its a five yarder...5-15 yards out its a ten yarder..and beyound is a 15

i would also change the rule on helmet to helmet unneccasary roughness....your a defender, you get paid top hit people, you keep your job by tackling....AND ONCE YOU GET READY TO HIT, YOU CANNOT CHANGE YOUR PATH...so if your going for the hit on a guys midsection...and at he last second the wr ducks or turns into the hit to avoid it but instead puts his head in the path of what was a legal hit, now suddenly is illegal...but the defender cannot stop midflight and raise or lower his impact zone, so he never intended to hit the head, but pays the price both penelty and ussually fines

Simple Jaded
08-30-2007, 08:01 PM
The one on Dumervil last week is a good example....

The Roy Williams Rule (Horse collar) needs to be better defined....

And I propose a new rule for excessive whining...Call it the "You're The Sorriest Corner In The League For Doing That" rule....Or maybe just The Charger Rule...

Q-niverse
08-31-2007, 09:20 AM
The tuck rule.

If it looks like the QB is gonna tuck the ball and he fumbles then it should be a fumble. None of this "But his arm was moving forward so it's a pass" BS. Make it's the refs judgement wether he was gonna throw it or not.

I can't believe the haven't changed that.

They can't Change it until Tom Brady retires :damnmate:

broncosfanscott
09-01-2007, 12:54 AM
They can't Change it until Tom Brady retires :damnmate:

That's funny. LOL

Medford Bronco
09-01-2007, 01:23 AM
I would change the overtime rule. I dont think it is fair that one team
has a better chance to win because of a coin toss.

Both teams should be guaranteed one possession then the game should be sudden death after that no matter what happens on the 1st ot possesion.

just my :2cents:

DenBronx
09-01-2007, 01:27 AM
What penalties would you change and how?

One penalty I feel is too strong is the offensive holding penalty. 10 yards is appropriate on occasion when the play would have resulted in around a 10 yard loss if not for the hold. But most of the time the defensive play would have resulted in something much smaller.

On a running play, what if the running back was at the line of scrimmage when the hold occurred? Is it fair to march the ball back 10 yards from there? I think not.

I would suggest reducing the penalty to 5 yards or spot of the ball when the foul occurred, whichever is longer. Or make it a pure spot of the ball foul but add a loss of down.

But a straight 10 yard loss is fairly often just too harsh and kills too many drives.

What do you think? And what other penalties do you have issues with?

it would be cool to let guys celebrate how they want after scoring again. it kinda took the fun out of it. even the group celebrations were fun to watch.

the sharpie and cell phones were pretty original too.

BigBroncLove
09-01-2007, 01:45 AM
it would be cool to let guys celebrate how they want after scoring again. it kinda took the fun out of it. even the group celebrations were fun to watch.

I agree, I think they clamped down to hard on celebrations. I don't think they should do anymore group ones, but allow celebrations between two players at least(where as any organized celebrations between two people or more results in a penalty). I sure would love to see the mile high salute return, but perhaps that's best left for days long past, and a trademark of a dynasty....

I generally like the way the rules are setup altogether. I think there needs to revisement on what constitutes forward motion by the QB, but otherwise I generally like things how they are.

broncosfanscott
09-01-2007, 02:09 AM

That's what makes the game fun. Let them celebrate a TD just as long as it doesn't last several minutes.