PDA

View Full Version : McGahee Named FedEx Ground Player of Week

Denver Native (Carol)
11-11-2011, 08:09 PM
Denver running back Willis McGahee has been named the FedEx Ground Player of the Week after his 163-yard, two-touchdown performance in Week 9 vs. Oakland.

http://blog.denverbroncos.com/denverbroncos/mcgahee-named-fedex-ground-player-of-week/

dogfish
11-11-2011, 08:43 PM
:salute:

WTE
11-11-2011, 08:58 PM
Whoop Dee Doo

Broncos Mtnman
11-11-2011, 09:50 PM
It's a good thing he had Tim Terrific handing him the ball.

:coffee:

wayninja
11-11-2011, 10:06 PM

I can't honestly tell if that's sarcastic. I'll assume it is and simply say it actually is a good thing Tim Terrific was handing McGahee the ball. If Orton is doing the same thing, McGahee gets less than 100 yards.

dogfish
11-11-2011, 10:38 PM

quit trollin' big guy. . . what the hell does tebow have to do with this? we put 300 stinkin' rushing yards on the faders, and the best you can come up with is griping about tebow? put down your agenda for one second, maybe you could enjoy a win. . .

MOtorboat
11-11-2011, 11:34 PM
quit trollin' big guy. . . what the hell does tebow have to do with this? we put 300 stinkin' rushing yards on the faders, and the best you can come up with is griping about tebow? put down your agenda for one second, maybe you could enjoy a win. . .

Well, to that point, I read earlier today on this message board, that Tim Tebow was the sole reason McGahee gained as many yards as he did. So...

BroncoWave
11-11-2011, 11:36 PM
Well, to that point, I read earlier today on this message board, that Tim Tebow was the sole reason McGahee gained as many yards as he did. So...

The attention the Raiders had to pay to him certainly didn't hurt. Obviously he wasn't the sole reason, but McGahee doesn't sniff 160 if Orton is the QB.

wayninja
11-11-2011, 11:40 PM
The attention the Raiders had to pay to him certainly didn't hurt. Obviously he wasn't the sole reason, but McGahee doesn't sniff 160 if Orton is the QB.

Spot on. I'm not a Tebow homer by any stretch, but it's pretty obvious that our ground game didn't suddenly get lightyears more productive in a vacuum.

There's not enough physics jokes/references.

MOtorboat
11-11-2011, 11:40 PM

Maybe he does, maybe he doesn't...

He has 3 100 yard rushing games before Tebow. I have a hard time saying Tebow is the reason McGahee ran for as much as he did.

I'd say it's an offensive line that performed much better than it has, getting to the second level and all, but I suppose that's probably Tebow's doing too...

wayninja
11-11-2011, 11:42 PM
Maybe he does, maybe he doesn't...

He has 3 100 yard rushing games before Tebow. I have a hard time saying Tebow is the reason McGahee ran for as much as he did.

I'd say it's an offensive line that performed much better than it has, getting to the second level and all, but I suppose that's probably Tebow's doing too...

How many 100 yard games does Tebow have?

Guess that was O-line too?

Don't get me wrong, the O-line gets their props for doing their job, but if you don't think the option, and more specifically the real threat of either burning them, didn't cause them big problems, you are fooling yourself.

MOtorboat
11-11-2011, 11:46 PM
How many 100 yard games does Tebow have?

Guess that was O-line too?

He has one, I believe. It's not mutual exclusivity. He had a good game running the football. McGahee had a good game running the football.

McGahee has had good games running the football without Tebow. That's why I can confidently say Tebow is not the reason McGahee had a good rushing day.

MOtorboat
11-11-2011, 11:48 PM
Remember how the Chiefs could NEVER defend the bootleg correctly?

I see that game against Oakland more in that regard than I do some sweeping mandate that the zone-read suddenly works in the pros. If Tebow proves me wrong consistently, I'll admit to being wrong, but I doubt it.

wayninja
11-11-2011, 11:49 PM
He has one, I believe. It's not mutual exclusivity. He had a good game running the football. McGahee had a good game running the football.

McGahee has had good games running the football without Tebow. That's why I can confidently say Tebow is not the reason McGahee had a good rushing day.

Yes. I see what you mean now. Each player would have identical games regardless of the effect any other player has.

Makes a sterile sort of sense.

Magnificent Seven
11-11-2011, 11:53 PM
I hope he will do the same thing against the Chiefs.

MOtorboat
11-11-2011, 11:57 PM
Yes. I see what you mean now. Each player would have identical games regardless of the effect any other player has.

Makes a sterile sort of sense.

My point is that neither of us can prove that said player's output would not be the same if different players were inserted into the lineup in their stead.

I cannot definitively say McGahee wouldn't have had a good rushing day unless Tebow was the quarterback...and vice versa.

wayninja
11-12-2011, 12:06 AM
My point is that neither of us can prove that said player's output would not be the same if different players were inserted into the lineup in their stead.

I cannot definitively say McGahee wouldn't have had a good rushing day unless Tebow was the quarterback...and vice versa.

Your right. All I can do is look at the tape. Obviously that tells me something totally different than it tells you. Such is life I guess.

Your stance makes it impossible for you to weight the outcome of any players performance with respect to anothers. Just keep that in mind the future I suppose.

MOtorboat
11-12-2011, 12:17 AM
Your right. All I can do is look at the tape. Obviously that tells me something totally different than it tells you. Such is life I guess.

Your stance makes it impossible for you to weight the outcome of any players performance with respect to anothers. Just keep that in mind the future I suppose.

Not necessarily.

McGahee has proven throughout his career, and even this year, that he is a good running back. Tebow hasn't had enough time, in my opinion, to prove he can run like that consistently. Therefore, until proven otherwise, I'm more predisposed to believe McGahee was the reason McGahee accumulated the yards he did.

Subsequently, it was probably McGahee's success that spurned Tebow's success, but that's probably sacrilege to suggest that...

wayninja
11-12-2011, 12:26 AM
Not necessarily.

McGahee has proven throughout his career, and even this year, that he is a good running back. Tebow hasn't had enough time, in my opinion, to prove he can run like that consistently. Therefore, until proven otherwise, I'm more predisposed to believe McGahee was the reason McGahee accumulated the yards he did.

Subsequently, it was probably McGahee's success that spurned Tebow's success, but that's probably sacrilege to suggest that...

Absolutely. I never argued McGahee's skills. The guy is good, plain and simple. It's hard to ignore that his best game in a Broncos uniform comes from the option supported by Tebow though. This what the option is designed for. I'm a little stymied that you don't recognize that it was effective. And that the effectiveness would simply not have been there without a threatening counter in Tebow.

I'll critique the guys throwing until the sun stops shining (or he proves it different), but I just don't see how you truly justify that he was a non-factor for the openings McGahee was privy to.

As for your chicken and egg argument, it's just that. Them both having success was key to either of them having success. To suggest otherwise is not sacrilege, just shortsightedness. Tebow hit a 32 yarder before Willis did better than 3 yards.

MOtorboat
11-12-2011, 12:29 AM
I salute your suppositions, and will admit to recognizing Tebow's running ability helped the team.

I won't definitively say that's why McGahee ran for so many yards, and I certainly won't say it's a reason for optimism until it happens more than once.

wayninja
11-12-2011, 12:32 AM
I salute your suppositions, and will admit to recognizing Tebow's running ability helped the team.

I won't definitively say that's why McGahee ran for so many yards, and I certainly won't say it's a reason for optimism until it happens more than once.

Touche. I admit your skepticism is a far cry more beneficial than blind fanaticism.

I also agree that a 1-off is not a reason to sell the farm and go all in with the option.

dogfish
11-12-2011, 12:41 AM

well, what are we gonna do? all lose our damn minds every time somebody says something stupid on the internets. . . or have our own discussions as intelligently and civilly as we can, without trying to make anyone that says anything positive about tebow have to answer for whatever garbage the retards spew?

*shrugs*

DenBronx
11-12-2011, 01:06 PM

So with Orton we would be running the option? Wasnt in the option installed to better suit Tebows strengths? Wasnt McGahee getting those big gapping holes because Oaklands D kept running to Tebows side?

Truth is, whenever Tebow or McGahee would rip off a big one the defenses guessed wrong.