PDA

View Full Version : Second round of interviews

broncofaninfla
01-09-2009, 11:02 AM
Denver High On McDaniels

From Karen Guregian of The Boston Herald (http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/football/patriots/view/2009_01_09_Denver_looks_to_be_mile_high_on_Josh_Mc Daniels/):
Josh McDaniels is scheduled to interview today for the St. Louis Rams’ vacant head coaching position.
And if the Rams are smitten with the Patriots (http://patriots.bostonherald.com/patriots.bg)offensive coordinator, they may want to move fairly swiftly to lock him up.
It appears likely that Denver will bring back McDaniels for a second interview early next week for their vacant head coaching job. The Broncos interviewed their seventh candidate yesterday.

It’s also possible Denver could offer McDaniels the job if its search commitee decides he’s the one to replace Mike Shanahan.
McDaniels met with the Broncos in Providence on Sunday. The opening round of interviews concluded yesterday with Miami assistant head coach and secondary coach Todd Bowles.
McDaniels reportedly is a favorite to land the job, even though the 32-year-old is one of the least experienced of the lot.
Two of the head coaches to serve under Denver owner Pat Bowlen (Dan Reeves and Shanahan) were both young and possessors of great offensive accumen, qualities McDaniels certainly has.
Although the Broncos did extend the contract of offensive coordinator Rick Dennison, that shouldn’t be an issue if Bowlen ultimately deems McDaniels to be coach.
With a reported job offer to become the Chiefs’ new general manager on the table for Scott Pioli, it’s now a waiting game to see if the two sides can reach an agreement.
It boils down to the Pats vice president of player personnel working out an arrangement in which he feels comfortable enough to finally leave a successful situation in Foxboro.
It appears the Chiefs have everything riding on a Pioli hire. By all accounts, no one else has been interviewed for the post.
Tampa Bay director of pro personnel Mark Dominik was believed to have been on a short list of candidates but has yet to meet with Chiefs owner Clark Hunt

broncofaninfla
01-09-2009, 11:18 AM
According to the National Football Post's Michael Lombardi, the Broncos will narrow their list of head coaching candidates to three and then start the second interview phase next week.

While it's not yet known if any more candidates will be brought in, Bucs DC Raheem Morris is expected to be one of the three finalists. We would assume that Pats OC Josh McDaniels has also made the short list.-Rotoworld

G_Money
01-09-2009, 11:42 AM
MacDaniel, Morris & Spagnuolo would be a really interesting final 3.

Not former head coaches. Not long-time coordinators. All have been on highly successful staffs, with tremendous coaches and coaching staffs.

I remember when being inexperienced was a negative. Those days are gone, apparently. It’s not a bad thing – all three guys are lauded by everyone around them.

It’s just funny to think that the Broncos job is one of those plum gigs that don’t come around every day, like a Lakers HC job or managing the Cardinals, and we’re making sure to exclude former HCs from the search.

Pat definitely wants to stay away from retreads. Here’s hoping the new tires are 100,000 milers with run-flat, in that case. Knock it outta the park big guy.

~G

tomjonesrocks
01-09-2009, 12:40 PM
I'd be very interested to know if Spagnuolo is even still under consideration. Haven't heard a thing about him since the dinner interview.

And please--the Rams are going to snatch McDaniels away from the Broncos? I don't think so. He'll wait to see what Bowlen does before taking that job. 66 million committed to Bulger there--sounds like a serious headache.

I'm not going to harp forever on this--but I still wish Bowlen would have at least picked up the phone and talked to Cowher. I know, I know, he's not coaching next year...