PDA

View Full Version : Which backs do you wanna keep?

omac
01-09-2009, 06:52 AM
Well, there goes Selvin's 2,000 yard season. :D

For next season, I'd like us to keep Hillis, Pittman (if he can still play), and Aldridge. Aldridge reminds me a lot of Sproles, and the little guy was even more effective than LT in some games. I expect us to pick up a RB in the draft or FA.

I don't mind losing everyone else, including Torain, who could muster only 1 start before getting injured.

gobroncsnv
01-09-2009, 07:35 AM
I thought Hillis was GREAT! Our offense was different when he was in there. He and Aldridge (SP?) are definitely opposite sides of a coin. I don't know how our line will change, but I think Hillis was better for our oline's blocking last year. Who knows what changes may hold, and how that would impact what our RB's style should be?
I don't think there's much question that we'll go after SOME kind of RB help in the offseason. We couldn't keep anyone out there last year. Hillis' injury was a wierd and freakish thing, so odds are, he could play all year, but no way we'd think about getting by with just who we have now. 'bout the only thing that REALLY stopped our offense was being one dimensional, making it easy to key on the passing game, because there really wasn't much threat from our running.

Dirk
01-09-2009, 07:59 AM
Hillis for sure, Torain maybe (I would still like to see what he can do if he can stay healthy long enough) and Aldridge. Then draft a GOOD back.

Stay away from the oldies but maybe goodies.....

NameUsedBefore
01-09-2009, 08:16 AM
Whoever makes it through the camps. I'd say Hillis has earned a spot as an H-back, but beyond that it is really a crap shoot.

SmilinAssasSin27
01-09-2009, 08:41 AM
Hillis and then all bets are off.

Ziggy
01-09-2009, 08:49 AM
Whoever makes it through the camps. I'd say Hillis has earned a spot as an H-back, but beyond that it is really a crap shoot.

I'm hoping that with the new coaching staff, no one has earned anything yet. I hope they open up every position for competition, which usually happens when a new regime comes in.

studbucket
01-09-2009, 08:51 AM
Should be back
Peyton Hillis

Should be given a chance
Ryan Torain
Anthony Alridge
Tatum Bell

Unlikely
Michael Pittman
Selvin Young
Andre Hall
PJ Pope
All the other hacks I am forgetting

broncofaninfla
01-09-2009, 09:03 AM
Keep: Hillis (no way you don't throw Hillis into the starting mix I don't care who the coach is. Who ever reviews the tape from this season will know we have a stud in the stable)
Keep: Torain, we barely got a chance to see what this kid could do but he showed flashes in the Cleveland game and had a great camp.
Keep: Pittman, power runner type and a vet leader

Need to see more of these guys before making a call: Aldridge, Pope, Boyd

Cut: Hall, Young and who ever else is left

claymore
01-09-2009, 09:05 AM
Hillis is the only one worth a shit IMO. The rest are all cannon fodder.

Traveler
01-09-2009, 09:12 AM
Should be back
Peyton Hillis

Should be given a chance
Ryan Torain
Anthony Alridge
Tatum Bell

Unlikely
Michael Pittman
Selvin Young
Andre Hall
PJ Pope
All the other hacks I am forgetting

Can't argue with this...

CoachChaz
01-09-2009, 09:12 AM
Call me crazy, but I like keeping Tatum. He filled in very nicely and I think he'd be even more of a weapon if used in tandem with Hillis. He has proven he can be successful. I dont see why it would benefit us to let him go.

claymore
01-09-2009, 09:18 AM
Call me crazy, but I like keeping Tatum. He filled in very nicely and I think he'd be even more of a weapon if used in tandem with Hillis. He has proven he can be successful. I dont see why it would benefit us to let him go.

I dont see why he wasnt used more in the last couple of games.

Rick
01-09-2009, 09:19 AM
Hillis, Torain, Aldridge.

Bell should be given a shot if his ego is for sure gone.

Rest should be cut or signed to practice squad.

sneakers
01-09-2009, 09:19 AM
Didn't we have this same problem this last offseason? And we ended up needing all of them. :lol:

CoachChaz
01-09-2009, 09:24 AM
I dont see why he wasnt used more in the last couple of games.

Mostly because we were playing from behind against SD and Carolina.

Be careful which horse you back. I guarantee you someone here will say the ONLY reason Bell had any success was because Denver rarely faced 8 in the box. An excuse that will undoubtedly be reversed when discussing the almighty greatness that is Peyton Hillis.

LRtagger
01-09-2009, 09:36 AM
Hillis, Torain, Aldridge.

Bell should be given a shot if his ego is for sure gone.

Rest should be cut or signed to practice squad.

Im sure he wont have an ego seeing as how if we cut him, he will be working a 9-5 making $10 an hour :lol:

Tned
01-09-2009, 09:39 AM
Hillis is a given, but unlike some that would like to see him start at tailback, I would like him in a Hybrid mode. Alstot like, but maybe running a bit more from the tailback spot.

Use him as a lead blocker, running from the FB spot, running from the RB spot.

Pittman, while a vet, was the best runner early on. If he is healthy, he should probably be one of the two RB's behind HIllis (FB).

Then, I think Torain has to be given a shot, since injuries prevented seeing what he could do.

Pope and Byrd both looked good in brief starting duty.

Young and Hall both can be solid backs, especially in my Dunn/Alstot model. They can play the 'Dunn' role.

So, basically, I think all of them (except Tatum) need to be given a shot in training camp. I think the only back that truly earned a "starts under any circumstance" is Hillis, but the others should be given a chance to compete for the tailback spots.

Going into this year I didn't think I would say it, but after Hillis, if I had to pick one back who's performance earned him the right to be at the 'top' of the depth chart going into '09, it would be Pittman.

Dreadnought
01-09-2009, 09:50 AM
Keep Regardless = Hillis, Tatum Bell
Injury Report Dependant = Torain, Aldridge, Young
Cut = Pittman, Hall
Who the Hell Knows = Boyd, Pope

Ziggy
01-09-2009, 09:53 AM
I hope that every back that played this season is in training camp. We don't even know yet which blocking scheme we will be using. Let them all come in and compete under the eyes of new coaches, and see what shakes out.

muse
01-09-2009, 09:54 AM
Hillis is the only lock. I like Pittman not only because he runs hard and is a great goalline back, but also because his pass pro is outstanding and he's a good receiver out of the backfield.

I think the following should be given a shot: Alridge, Bell, Pope, Torain. I liked what I saw from Torain; Pope and Bell definitely earned their chances in camp. I like Pope's style and he breaks tackles. Hall is likely gone and Selvin is camp fodder at this point unless he turns into LT next TC. Yep. Alridge is intriguing as a scat back. Not to mention he has value as a KR - as much as I like Eddie as a returner, I hate holding my breath every time he makes a return. Also, the guy is apparently a very good receiver of the ball so we may be able to do funky things with him (motion to the slot etc.)

SmilinAssasSin27
01-09-2009, 11:18 AM
Im sure he wont have an ego seeing as how if we cut him, he will be working a 9-5 making $10 an hour :lol:

mall hours dude, and he was a new hire. He had to have been rocking the 4-9 shift. :elefant::elefant:

LRtagger
01-09-2009, 11:21 AM
mall hours dude, and he was a new hire. He had to have been rocking the 4-9 shift. :elefant::elefant:

Yea, but kiosks open later and close earlier :D

CoachChaz
01-09-2009, 11:22 AM
Wasnt he managing the place?

TXBRONC
01-09-2009, 11:24 AM

For next season, I'd like us to keep Hillis, Pittman (if he can still play), and Aldridge. Aldridge reminds me a lot of Sproles, and the little guy was even more effective than LT in some games. I expect us to pick up a RB in the draft or FA.

I don't mind losing everyone else, including Torain, who could muster only 1 start before getting injured.

Hillis, Aldridge, and Torain would be my choices.

NightTrainLayne
01-09-2009, 11:32 AM
Wasnt he managing the place?

I think that "managing" the place consisted of turning on the lights and unlocking/opening the cash register.

TXBRONC
01-09-2009, 11:43 AM
Hillis is a given, but unlike some that would like to see him start at tailback, I would like him in a Hybrid mode. Alstot like, but maybe running a bit more from the tailback spot.

Use him as a lead blocker, running from the FB spot, running from the RB spot.

Pittman, while a vet, was the best runner early on. If he is healthy, he should probably be one of the two RB's behind HIllis (FB).

Then, I think Torain has to be given a shot, since injuries prevented seeing what he could do.

Pope and Byrd both looked good in brief starting duty.

Young and Hall both can be solid backs, especially in my Dunn/Alstot model. They can play the 'Dunn' role.

So, basically, I think all of them (except Tatum) need to be given a shot in training camp. I think the only back that truly earned a "starts under any circumstance" is Hillis, but the others should be given a chance to compete for the tailback spots.

Going into this year I didn't think I would say it, but after Hillis, if I had to pick one back who's performance earned him the right to be at the 'top' of the depth chart going into '09, it would be Pittman.

This makes good sense. However, I probably would still be willing to take a chance on Hillis being an every down tailback because first and foremost he has legitimate running back skill as well as being a solid receiver out of the backfield.

Mike
01-09-2009, 11:49 AM
These should get invites to camp...
Hillis
Torain
Alridge
Bell
Young
Pope
New draft choice

My choices to make the team
Hillis
Torain
Alridge
Young
Rookie RB

BroncoWave
01-09-2009, 12:01 PM
Hillis, Torain, Bell.

underrated29
01-09-2009, 12:07 PM
keepers:

hillis, torain, pittman, young, alridge

possibles-
bell,hall,boyd,pope

Draft/FA-

The guy in my sig- Jerry Seymour- he is fast, strong, quick- a little MJD and Deangelo williams all in 1 small small package.

CoachChaz
01-09-2009, 12:23 PM
I guess I'm the only one that wouldnt object to using Bell full-time in a tandem with Hillis.

Requiem / The Dagda
01-09-2009, 12:26 PM
I think Smilin' and I believe LeSean McCoy should be given a chance! :smile:

studbucket
01-09-2009, 12:27 PM
I think Smilin' and I believe LeSean McCoy should be given a chance! :smile:

I like him better than Javon Ringer for sure. If we take a back in rounds 2-3, I hope it's Shonn Greene or McCoy.

turftoad
01-09-2009, 12:46 PM
I agree with Tned. Hillis makes the team for sure but not as the feature HB. I se him as a hybred HB/FB/H-back.
I don't see the new coach (whoever it is) using Hillis as the #1 guy. He's not a true HB. I do think he needs to run the ball more than a true FB but also see us using a true HB.

Dreadnought
01-09-2009, 12:50 PM
I guess I'm the only one that wouldnt object to using Bell full-time in a tandem with Hillis.

I actually love that solution. They complement each other perfectly

Requiem / The Dagda
01-09-2009, 12:50 PM
Hillis, Torain (too early to give up on him) and Bell (because he has talent and can contribute) are the only guys that would deserve a roster spot. As far as I'm concerned -- the other guys can get out of here. If we could get scraps for all the others, and by scrap I'd mean a late-round pick for any of those guys I'd do it. Time to draft the stud we've been waiting for since Clinton Portis was wrongly dealt from this franchise.

turftoad
01-09-2009, 12:53 PM
Hillis, Torain (too early to give up on him) and Bell (because he has talent and can contribute) are the only guys that would deserve a roster spot. As far as I'm concerned -- the other guys can get out of here. If we could get scraps for all the others, and by scrap I'd mean a late-round pick for any of those guys I'd do it. Time to draft the stud we've been waiting for since Clinton Portis was wrongly dealt from this franchise.

I understand where you're comming from but I wouldn't like to see that in favor of drafting defense.

It is a must to get some PLAYMAKERS on "D". They need to come early in the draft.

Requiem / The Dagda
01-09-2009, 12:59 PM
Denver has nine picks and is likely to get more. With the talent available in this years class, there will be players all over the board who can help them out. I wrote a long article (www.broncotalk.net) about the draft and it was put up early today. People need to realize that Denver can make defense a priority and get a playmaker on offense as well. It's all about analyzing the value in the draft, and it is clear that Denver will have a plethora of options. There is no need for the false dilemmas.

Denver could get a stud in defense at round one and get a back in round two, and then pick up the other defensive guys with the other picks. The value for running back in the second round will be almost too good to pass up. It is ridiculously insane.

LRtagger
01-09-2009, 01:17 PM

Count me in...This would be my top scenario if we dont draft anyone. And keep Torain and Alridge on the roster as backups.

I have been really big on Young, but I don't think I could put up with another season of him at this point. If he could stay healthy, he would be a good back...but I just dont think he can.

turftoad
01-09-2009, 01:23 PM
Denver has nine picks and is likely to get more. With the talent available in this years class, there will be players all over the board who can help them out. I wrote a long article (www.broncotalk.net) about the draft and it was put up early today. People need to realize that Denver can make defense a priority and get a playmaker on offense as well. It's all about analyzing the value in the draft, and it is clear that Denver will have a plethora of options. There is no need for the false dilemmas.

Denver could get a stud in defense at round one and get a back in round two, and then pick up the other defensive guys with the other picks. The value for running back in the second round will be almost too good to pass up. It is ridiculously insane.

Not all nine picks are going to be difference makers. Most difference makers come on the first day. Rounds 4 on up are nothing but a crap shoot in most cases. Might as well make them rookie free agents for the most part. Yes, I know there are exceptions to that rule but still a crap shoot.

We have some servicable players at the RB position. We have NONE at Saftey or LB except for DJ at this point.
Thus my point of drafting all defense on day one of the draft.

In case some of you guys forget, our defense was one of the WORST in the league. We need a ton of help.

JONtheBRONCO
01-09-2009, 03:12 PM
Hillis
Bell
Aldridge
Rookie
FA

Lonestar
01-09-2009, 04:52 PM

I'd like those and you can add torain to the list cause you know that we will probably have 6-7 RB's around at least through TC..

If he can't handle the load we should find out pretty quick..

you can cut tater tomorrow and we will not have lost anything.. other than a deal on cell phones..

D1g1tal j1m
01-09-2009, 05:07 PM
Hillis should not be in the running for starting HB. He should be used in the same role as Dallas Clark, a hybrid TE/FB. He has excellent hands and runs crisp routes and will make the pass offense in the redzone better.
Keep Torain as the big back and Aldridge as the return man (if he can handle the job) all the others can be replaced.

Lonestar
01-09-2009, 05:12 PM
Hillis should not be in the running for starting HB. He should be used in the same role as Dallas Clark, a hybrid TE/FB. He has excellent hands and runs crisp routes and will make the pass offense in the redzone better.
Keep Torain as the big back and Aldridge as the return man (if he can handle the job) all the others can be replaced.

why not keep him as a big RB until he was hurt on a freak play he was our best RB of the season..

He can catch passes out of the back field also , can run the tough yards up the gut and the not so tough ones..

One game (IIRC) against OAK they had to carry three DB off the field after trying to tackle him..

If he is only on the field during odd times which player are you gonna take off the field fro him to replace? Scheffler? Graham? Marshall or royale?

Slick
01-09-2009, 05:26 PM
Hillis and Pittman if he can come back. I'd like to see new blood. We could always call Tatum back if we need too. I doubt anyone else picks him up.

Lonestar
01-09-2009, 06:23 PM
Hillis and Pittman if he can come back. I'd like to see new blood. We could always call Tatum back if we need too. I doubt anyone else picks him up.

1800alltell 0 (zero)

UnderArmour
01-09-2009, 06:31 PM
Mostly because we were playing from behind against SD and Carolina.

Be careful which horse you back. I guarantee you someone here will say the ONLY reason Bell had any success was because Denver rarely faced 8 in the box. An excuse that will undoubtedly be reversed when discussing the almighty greatness that is Peyton Hillis.

I highly doubt we'll face any 8 man fronts next season either. Our pass attack is crazy good when healthy.

TXBRONC
01-09-2009, 06:35 PM

Just out of curiosity why do you think Hillis shouldn't be given a chance to be a starting running back? I think he could be just as effective in the receiving game from the running back as he could be as a TE/FB.

Benetto
01-09-2009, 06:41 PM
Hillis was good at lowering his shoulder and handing out some boom...He wasn't that consistent in clutch situations as much as I'd like him to be...That's why I can't see him helping us win a SB like TD did..

We need an elite RB...Its as simple as that.

Move Peyton back to FB, and bring in someone who can carry the rock effectively. Ditch everyone else.

topscribe
01-09-2009, 07:01 PM
Hillis was good at lowering his shoulder and handing out some boom...He wasn't that consistent in clutch situations as much as I'd like him to be...That's why I can't see him helping us win a SB like TD did..

Move Peyton back to FB, and bring in someone who can carry the rock effectively. Ditch everyone else.

Did you forget Hillis was a rookie? That always spells inconsistency.

Hillis was good at lowering the boom, as you said. He was good at reading
holes and making fast decisions. He was also recovering some of his moves he
once had as a RB, before he went down.

Actually, I would rather see a real FB in there. Hillis is not an excellent FB.
Use him in an H-back capacity, maybe. But first, I would like to see some
more of him at RB. When a RB gets 5.0 YPC, I'm not prepared to write him off.

-----

Northman
01-09-2009, 07:05 PM
I have to agree with the thread starter that i wouldnt keep to many of who we got right now. Hillis, Aldridge, and maybe Torain. But we should definitely play the FA market or draft one (in the higher rounds) this year.

nevcraw
01-09-2009, 09:00 PM

I'd say Hillis was the second most clutch player behing Cutler.
4th down run against Cleveland? Sure he had that fumble against The raturds, and a drop or 2 but that's it..
He is stud and should be the odds on favorite barring some stud draft pick. He run hards, catches better than most backs in the league, and certainly will tire any defense with a lot of touches. They would be silly to make him a reciever H back.

Lonestar
01-09-2009, 09:31 PM
I'd say Hillis was the second most clutch player behing Cutler.
4th down run against Cleveland? Sure he had that fumble against The raturds, and a drop or 2 but that's it..
He is stud and should be the odds on favorite barring some stud draft pick. He run hards, catches better than most backs in the league, and certainly will tire any defense with a lot of touches. They would be silly to make him a reciever H back.

Hell he probably has the best hands on the team how many of the receivers would have made that last catch of his and held on to it when he went down..

not to mention the one catch he made earlier in the season on the sideline and tippy toed down the sideline for another 15 or so yards.. before having to go out of bounds..

slim
01-09-2009, 10:40 PM

You are crazy.

slim
01-09-2009, 10:42 PM
Hillis is the only no brainer.

I would like to see what Torain and Alridge can do if healthy.

Tater...meh, I wouldn't buy a phone from him.

Tned
01-09-2009, 11:40 PM
This makes good sense. However, I probably would still be willing to take a chance on Hillis being an every down tailback because first and foremost he has legitimate running back skill as well as being a solid receiver out of the backfield.

There is no question he could be a starting tailback. He started his career at tailback at Arkansas, and if not for guys named Darren and Felix, would have finished his career in Arkansas at tailback and likely had some pretty impressive numbers.

However, I think he brings more value to Denver playing FB. He brings the pass catching talent of someone like Tom Rathman with the running of someone like Alstot. He can lead block, get carries from the FB spot, line up as the tailback, and catch from either the RB or FB spot.

Did you forget Hillis was a rookie? That always spells inconsistency.

Hillis was good at lowering the boom, as you said. He was good at reading
holes and making fast decisions. He was also recovering some of his moves he
once had as a RB, before he went down.

Actually, I would rather see a real FB in there. Hillis is not an excellent FB.
Use him in an H-back capacity, maybe. But first, I would like to see some
more of him at RB. When a RB gets 5.0 YPC, I'm not prepared to write him off.

-----

People seem to forget that Hillis was not only a rookie, but also didn't line up at tailback all off season, training camp, pre-season, and those early games/practices. He didn't run the RB plays, he was blocking.

Trivia questions. How many Broncos have had 100 yard receiving games and 100 yard rushing games in the same season?

TXBRONC
01-10-2009, 12:01 AM
There is no question he could be a starting tailback. He started his career at tailback at Arkansas, and if not for guys named Darren and Felix, would have finished his career in Arkansas at tailback and likely had some pretty impressive numbers.

However, I think he brings more value to Denver playing FB. He brings the pass catching talent of someone like Tom Rathman with the running of someone like Alstot. He can lead block, get carries from the FB spot, line up as the tailback, and catch from either the RB or FB spot.

People seem to forget that Hillis was not only a rookie, but also didn't line up at tailback all off season, training camp, pre-season, and those early games/practices. He didn't run the RB plays, he was blocking.

Trivia questions. How many Broncos have had 100 yard receiving games and 100 yard rushing games in the same season?

Hillis is the only one I can think of.

Watchthemiddle
01-10-2009, 12:06 AM
This thread brings up an interesting thought........

With a new HC coming in and possibly new OC, do you think our running game/system will remain the same or change? The one cut zone blocking and go downhill, or different? What has worked for years could change, so that said the new HC might be looking for a different style of RB than we currently have. Maybe not.

Hillis has to stay and be a main part of our offense IMO. He has the potential to cause serious problems for defenses if used properly.

Tned
01-10-2009, 12:26 AM
This thread brings up an interesting thought........

With a new HC coming in and possibly new OC, do you think our running game/system will remain the same or change? The one cut zone blocking and go downhill, or different? What has worked for years could change, so that said the new HC might be looking for a different style of RB than we currently have. Maybe not.

Hillis has to stay and be a main part of our offense IMO. He has the potential to cause serious problems for defenses if used properly.

This subject is being discussed in multiple threads. Some people are convinced that the zone blocking scheme and our running game under Shanahan will stay regardless of the coach that is hired, or which existing coaches are kept.

Other people (and I am in this group), feel it is completely dependant on who is hired as HC, and whether some or all of Bates, Turner and Dennison are retained. If all three of those guys are let go, it is 'very' unlikely that the ZBS will be kept. Why would a head coach fire coaches that were raised in the king of the Zone Blocking System, just to attempt to bring in other coaches to try and implement something the guys you just fired new like the back of their hands.

So, I think if Bates/Turner/Dennison are let go, then the ZBS and the running style of the last 14 years are history.

Watchthemiddle
01-10-2009, 12:33 AM
This subject is being discussed in multiple threads. Some people are convinced that the zone blocking scheme and our running game under Shanahan will stay regardless of the coach that is hired, or which existing coaches are kept.

Other people (and I am in this group), feel it is completely dependant on who is hired as HC, and whether some or all of Bates, Turner and Dennison are retained. If all three of those guys are let go, it is 'very' unlikely that the ZBS will be kept. Why would a head coach fire coaches that were raised in the king of the Zone Blocking System, just to attempt to bring in other coaches to try and implement something the guys you just fired new like the back of their hands.

So, I think if Bates/Turner/Dennison are let go, then the ZBS and the running style of the last 14 years are history.

Good points

Superchop 7
01-10-2009, 12:37 AM
Hillis and Hall were the best I saw last year. (You all know I'm not a huge Hall fan but I call em like I see em)

Torain is probably a keeper but I haven't seen enough yet.

Alridge should already get the nod returning kicks (with the emergence of Royal) and is an excellent change of pace back.

Headed south Selvin Young. (Why, I have no idea, he was much better in 07)

Lost a step.....Pittman.

First call when injuries occur.....Tatum Bell. ( The guy deserves it, very proud of how he fought, better player now than when we got rid of him, his heart was into every block and he ran smart, not stupid like he used to )

omac
01-10-2009, 01:15 AM
Hillis and Hall were the best I saw last year. (You all know I'm not a huge Hall fan but I call em like I see em)

Torain is probably a keeper but I haven't seen enough yet.

Alridge should already get the nod returning kicks (with the emergence of Royal) and is an excellent change of pace back.

Headed south Selvin Young. (Why, I have no idea, he was much better in 07)

Lost a step.....Pittman.

First call when injuries occur.....Tatum Bell. ( The guy deserves it, very proud of how he fought, better player now than when we got rid of him, his heart was into every block and he ran smart, not stupid like he used to )

Selvin was playing injured a whole lot, and his weight gain to try to secure being an every down back probably hurt his speed too. Hall looked good against NE until he got fumblitis.

omac
01-10-2009, 01:29 AM

I'm hesitant to use Bell because he's so easy to bring down. I'm wondering if there's some hidden potential inside of him that someone could light a fire under his butt to get to, much the same way Carolina drafting Stewart did for DeAngelo. We know Tatum has speed; I want to see more toughness out of him.

Heck, Fargas isn't a heavily built back, but he's a crash test dummy when running between the tackles. If we can get him from the Raiders cheap, who undervalue him because of McFadden and Bush, we'd immediately have a tough, fast enough runner in the lineup to go with a bruising Hillis.

omac
01-10-2009, 01:41 AM

Hillis is so valuable to the offense, as a run blocker, as a pass catcher, as a tough runner, for short yardage and for goal line, such that we need to have him in the game almost all the time, and for all the season.

This is the main reason I agree with Tned that he shouldn't be the #1 RB. We can't afford to have a weapon like this wear down throughout the season. We need him strong late in the season and in the playoffs.

If we run him hard regularly to wear down defenses, like the Giants do with Jacobs, or that we later did with Pittman, he could get injured like they did. I would've rather had Pittman in our last 3 games, then Bell. I want to have Hillis available for scoring and 3rd down situations more than I do for moving the ball a lot within the 20s. If we want a bruising back, let's get a guy like Davenport to do the 3 to 4 yard gains.

Lonestar
01-10-2009, 02:08 AM
NO one seemed to be concerned 10 years ago when TD was run 20-30 times a game.. at 205-212 so why all the concern for Hillis at 250..

omac
01-10-2009, 02:33 AM
NO one seemed to be concerned 10 years ago when TD was run 20-30 times a game.. at 205-212 so why all the concern for Hillis at 250..

Yeah, and TD had a pretty short career too. LT in his 8th year looks pretty worn down. It didn't take long for LJ to lose his value either. And these guys have more moves than Hillis.

It's all conjecture; he could very well last the whole season as the #1, even though he's a big target for tacklers. I just wanna make sure we have him late in the season and through the playoffs. :cheers:

hamrob
01-10-2009, 12:53 PM
I love Hillis...I'd love for us to give him a shot at starting next year. I really think that Hillis could carry the ball 15-20 times a game with Bell/Pope coming in and giving 5-10 carries a game. I think that in itself is a decent ground game. It all depends on whether guys can stay healthy or not. I still think we should pick a guy or two to compete...although I would not spend a top pick on a back...unless we trade back and get Moreno and an extra 2nd round pick.

It will be interesting to see if we resign TB...he's a free agent.

DenBronx
01-10-2009, 01:09 PM
Start the season with Hillis as the FB. Keep Torain and Alridge and cut or don't resign everyone else. If we get Spag then like a few are saying Jacobs might come with him. If not then we must draft a RB in round 2. If none of these guys are working out then slide Hillis back to HB.

Lonestar
01-10-2009, 01:31 PM
I love Hillis...I'd love for us to give him a shot at starting next year. I really think that Hillis could carry the ball 15-20 times a game with Bell/Pope coming in and giving 5-10 carries a game. I think that in itself is a decent ground game. It all depends on whether guys can stay healthy or not. I still think we should pick a guy or two to compete...although I would not spend a top pick on a back...unless we trade back and get Moreno and an extra 2nd round pick.

It will be interesting to see if we resign TB...he's a free agent.

until you mentioned tater it was brilliant post..

hamrob
01-10-2009, 01:38 PM
until you mentioned tater it was brilliant post..Perhaps you're right...here's the but:

Tater has always been good to great if he only gets 5-10 touches. He's the perfect change of pace back IMO.

Think about what really gives you a bad taste in your mouth about TB. For me, it's that everytime you run him up the middle he gets munched and doesn't move the pile. He's just not a between the tackles back...and that just drives me nuts.

On the flip side. Why the Heck do we continue to run him between the tackles? Over and over, we continue to make that mistake.

Look, if we pound it up the middle with Hillis 7 or 8 times and then bring Bell in and give him the pitch...ala TD...he's dangerous! Why can't we realize that is his value and stay away from running him up the gut!

My long winded point is this: If we did a better job of utilyzing the talent we have in the right ways...the better we would be!

Lonestar
01-10-2009, 01:44 PM
Perhaps you're right...here's the but:

Tater has always been good to great if he only gets 5-10 touches. He's the perfect change of pace back IMO.

Think about what really gives you a bad taste in your mouth about TB. For me, it's that everytime you run him up the middle he gets munched and doesn't move the pile. He's just not a between the tackles back...and that just drives me nuts.

On the flip side. Why the Heck do we continue to run him between the tackles? Over and over, we continue to make that mistake.

Look, if we pound it up the middle with Hillis 7 or 8 times and then bring Bell in and give him the pitch...ala TD...he's dangerous! Why can't we realize that is his value and stay away from running him up the gut!

My long winded point is this: If we did a better job of utilyzing the talent we have in the right ways...the better we would be!

yes your partial correct but the DC will also know that when tater the un-magnificent comes in it will be a off tackle call.. as the book is HE can't shake a tackle up the gut..

He is one "IF" that dimensional..

Remember all of the "he has the speed to take it to the house each time he touches the ball" crapola posts we used to get.. well how many times has he done that? I think Hillis had more take it to the house runs than he has..

let him be our, we will call you when we need you, we know your number 1800alltell 0..

BroncoJoe
01-10-2009, 01:45 PM
Tatum had a healthy 5.7 ypc in the six games he played in.

Hillis' longest run was 19 yards. Bell's was 37.

broncobryce
01-10-2009, 01:52 PM
I don't know, I think Selvin Young gives us the same thing as Bell except he's a little tougher. Hopefully Alridge can fill in their spot.

Lonestar
01-10-2009, 01:53 PM
Tatum had a healthy 5.7 ypc in the six games he played in.

Hillis' longest run was 19 yards. Bell's was 37.

wow, how many yards did he have after initial contact?..

Now I say that and have to add I did not get to see all the games this year.. so I am going off of what I know of tater going down with the slightest contact..

So maybe he is a new wunderkinder, but old dogs rarely learn new trick..

BroncoJoe
01-10-2009, 01:56 PM
wow, how many yards did he have after initial contact?..

Now I say that and have to add I did not get to see all the games this year.. so I am going off of what I know of tater going down with the slightest contact..

So maybe he is a new wunderkinder, but old dogs rarely learn new trick..

I was VERY skeptical when we brought him in, but watching the games, he ran hard - even between the tackles at times. I did see him go down a few times with initial contact, but for the most part, he looked like a man with something to prove, while being very humble at the same time.

BroncoJoe
01-10-2009, 01:57 PM
I don't know, I think Selvin Young gives us the same thing as Bell except he's a little tougher. Hopefully Alridge can fill in their spot.

To me, SY is what Tatum was when he first got here. I just think what happened to Tatum has made him a different player. And, I've never been a big fan of Tatum.

Lonestar
01-10-2009, 02:08 PM
I was VERY skeptical when we brought him in, but watching the games, he ran hard - even between the tackles at times. I did see him go down a few times with initial contact, but for the most part, he looked like a man with something to prove, while being very humble at the same time.

well since I did not see him much at all.. and since we rarely ran the damned ball in the SAN game I will have to believe what you tell me..

But I would not waste a roster spot on him but have him as my fifth to call in case we have another rash of groin pulls next year. As I believe NO one else will give him the time of day or cell call.. :laugh:

TXBRONC
01-10-2009, 04:17 PM

I like Selvin I don't see him as tougher than Bell and when Bell was here the first time he was a more explosive runner.

Simple Jaded
01-10-2009, 04:31 PM
Keep Peyton Hillis and.......

Unfortunately, I think they're going to hire McDaniels, which makes Selvin Young his Kevin Faulk.......at least until he gets injured.......

Broncolingus
01-10-2009, 07:19 PM
Keep Peyton Hillis and.......

Unfortunately, I think they're going to hire McDaniels, which makes Selvin Young his Kevin Faulk.......at least until he gets injured.......

...which will be on the second series of the first game of the year.

Hillis is my only 'lock.'

Let training camp 2009 figure out the rest...