PDA

View Full Version : Expectations for next season's defense .....

omac
01-08-2009, 10:54 PM
(poll above ...)

Whoever the coach(es) we get, the biggest change we all expect to see is obviously on defense. Where do you expect the new staff to bring our defense to next season?

I'm thinking top 20, with a run defense in the top 10. For me, that would be a great first start.

What are you all expecting from the new staff?

omac
01-08-2009, 11:13 PM
Wow, top 5. I guess you're expecting a really good draft. :cheers:

Lonestar
01-09-2009, 03:21 AM
I think it totally premature to even think about it until we have a clue on who is coming in..

We do know that it can hardly get worse..

PatricktheDookie
01-09-2009, 03:52 AM
The Broncos have thrown my hope in the gutter. =(

omac
01-09-2009, 05:07 AM
I think it totally premature to even think about it until we have a clue on who is coming in..

We do know that it can hardly get worse..

True, but the focus primarily will be to fix the defense first, so whoever they get, I'm expecting at least an improvement to a top 20 stature. Anything less than that for such a drastic move, I think, is unacceptable.

Traveler
01-09-2009, 06:35 AM
I'm expecting them to learn how to diagnose plays more quickly, fill the right gaps, properly tackle, stop the run, and rush the passer.

omac
01-09-2009, 06:41 AM
I'm expecting them to learn how to diagnose plays more quickly, fill the right gaps, properly tackle, stop the run, and rush the passer.

Yeah, we're 0-5 on that list. :D

Traveler
01-09-2009, 09:23 AM
Whomever comes in needs to break our defensive players down "Boot Camp" style. Fundamentals first, then build them back up properly.

broncofaninfla
01-09-2009, 09:26 AM
A shake up is coming and the new talent is sure to be better than the scrubs we had on the field plus I'm hopefull we will have a top tier DC calling the shots.

Medford Bronco
01-09-2009, 09:28 AM
I would hope in the top 15, which would be right in the middle.

Where we want to be if we want to advance to a playoff team again IMHO

Medford Bronco
01-09-2009, 09:28 AM
A shake up is coming and the new talent is sure to be better than the scrubs we had on the field plus I'm hopefull we will have a top tier DC calling the shots.

Not having Slowbrain is a huge upgrade and maybe
our corners can actually you know play press coverage some
as we have the talent at CB to do so.

Medford Bronco
01-09-2009, 09:29 AM
Whomever comes in needs to break our defensive players down "Boot Camp" style. Fundamentals first, then build them back up properly.

You mean teach the LBs dicipline that you dont overrun every play.

that means that Nate Webster will be cut after the first practice:lol:

Tned
01-09-2009, 09:32 AM
I chose Top 15, but that is a "hope", not an expectation. It is impossible to make an expectation with no coaching staff, not knowing if there will be a major scheme change, and what type of player turnover there will be.

Shazam!
01-09-2009, 09:37 AM
I voted Top 15. In reality, a top 20-15 defense would be a drastic improvement and if the offense kept it's pace it would mean Denver would be back as a playoff contender.

They won't have to be the '85 Bears. Having hope that your defense can make a stop on 2nd and 20 isn't asking much.

Ziggy
01-09-2009, 09:38 AM
You mean teach the LBs dicipline that you dont overrun every play.

that means that Nate Webster will be cut after the first practice:lol:

If Nate Webster doesn't play well on special teams next season, I doubt he's even on the roster at the end of training camp. This defense has a gross lack of overall talent. Outside of Champ, we have no players who would be starting on most NFL teams. You can make a case for DJ and Bly, but they are both questionable.

If we don't address the defense through both the draft and free agency, expect another bad season. If we can bring in 3-4 legit starters, I expect this defense to finish in the middle of the pack. Even focusing most of our efforts on the D, I think it's going to take 2-3 seasons and a lot of luck to make them upper echilon.

Traveler
01-09-2009, 09:45 AM
If Nate Webster doesn't play well on special teams next season, I doubt he's even on the roster at the end of training camp. This defense has a gross lack of overall talent. Outside of Champ, we have no players who would be starting on most NFL teams. You can make a case for DJ and Bly, but they are both questionable.

If we don't adress the defense through both the draft and free agency, expect another bad season. If we can bring in 3-4 legit starters, I expect this defense to finish in the middle of the pack. Even focusing most of our efforts on the D, I think it's going to take 2-3 seasons and a lot of luck to make them upper echilon.

Hell, I hope Webster isn't brought back at all.

broncofaninfla
01-09-2009, 10:18 AM
I stick by my prediction that Nate Webster has played his last down in the NFL.

D1g1tal j1m
01-09-2009, 10:38 AM
If we are able to draft a MLB, a large DT and a S and then sign a passrushing DE then we will be in the top 20. There are so many holes on this D that even with all that we still need a lot more talent, we are too small at every position.

Lonestar
01-09-2009, 01:51 PM
If we are able to draft a MLB, a large DT and a S and then sign a passrushing DE then we will be in the top 20. There are so many holes on this D that even with all that we still need a lot more talent, we are too small at every position .

the way mikey liked it faster and small..

But then once upon a time we could also tackle..

I hope they allow Champ to play his style of pass defense.. he is quick enough to jump the pass for picks IF we get some pass rush if not then all WR need to be jammed at the LOS...

Broncolingus
01-09-2009, 02:10 PM
Shot in the dark...Top 25. Too early to tell pending the HC and GM fills, and what (if any) offseason moves are made.

...that said, the talent level is so poor right now on the defensive side of the ball - first DL, then LBs and Safety's, - and the rebuild need is so 'large,' I don't think even the best DC can make lemonade out of what Denver's got right now.

Fan in Exile
01-09-2009, 02:11 PM
TOP 5 Baby!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :rockon::rockon::rockon::rockon::rockon: We're going to the Super Bowl!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!