PDA

View Full Version : Can I ask a question without getting flamed too much (Devils Advocate)

Medford Bronco
01-08-2009, 06:02 PM
Why is everyone so in love with our offensive coaching staff?

I am not saying that I would not keep Bates/Turner but

I mean seriously I think if McDaniels or whomever comes in and wants to build a new staff one would think it would be okay with Bowlen.

This offense while good at times, was very inconsistent as well. The running game the last 2 years has not been the same, yes some injuries but the talent IMO is not as good as it was pre 2005.

Yes we move between the 20s good but dont score enough in the Red Zone or got a lot of FG the last 2 years.

If a whole new staff comes in, so be it. We will have to live with it and move forward as a team getting better as we all know that there are problems everywhere on this team.

The talent is there in spots for us to get better but changing offenses should not hamstring that development. If Cutler is as great as some think (I still need to be conviced of his greatness, he is good but can get much better IMHO) then he should adapt to what the new coach teaches, if McDaniels he can do well, he got a QB with no starts since HS to succeed this year.

Thoughts?

Ready to get :flame: :target:

topscribe
01-08-2009, 06:07 PM

I mean seriously I think if McDaniels or whomever comes in and wants to build a new staff one would think it would be okay with Bowlen.

This offense while good at times, was very inconsistent as well. The running game the last 2 years has not been the same, yes some injuries but the talent IMO is not as good as it was pre 2005.

Yes we move between the 20s good but dont score enough in the Red Zone or got a lot of FG the last 2 years.

If a whole new staff comes in, so be it. We will have to live with it and move forward as a team getting better as we all know that there are problems everywhere on this team.

The talent is there in spots for us to get better but changing offenses should not hamstring that development. If Cutler is as great as some think (I still need to be conviced of his greatness, he is good but can get much better IMHO) then he should adapt to what the new coach teaches, if McDaniels he can do well, he got a QB with no starts since HS to succeed this year.

Thoughts?

:mad2:: How's that?

Now that we're past that, I have to agree with you. While they may want to
suggest a coach or two to the HC, allllll the selections should be entirely up
to him. He needs control, and he cannot have complete control of the boss's
baby, or even the QB's favorite. If the HC cannot be the boss, then the whole
thing will be a failure from the start . . . just ask Kiffin . . .

-----

spikerman
01-08-2009, 06:08 PM
I'm very much in favor of keeping Bobby Turner. He has proven his worth over the years and when the Broncos have healthy backs they consistently produce. The one steadying force has been Turner. The o-line has been steady, but the "one-cut and go" philosophy doesn't come naturally to a back and Turner has been a master at teaching it.

Foochacho
01-08-2009, 06:10 PM
I agree, I don't think our playcalling is all that great. It is actually idiotic most of the time. How many times are we going to throw out of the shotgun in a game? Where did our bootlegs go? I know jay isn't jake and is supposed to be a pocket passer but he does well out of the pocket and is mobile. And don't get me started on the run game.

Medford Bronco
01-08-2009, 06:12 PM
:mad2:: How's that?

Now that we're past that, I have to agree with you. While they may want to
suggest a coach or two to the HC, allllll the selections should be entirely up
to him. He needs control, and he cannot have complete control of the boss's
baby, or even the QB's favorite. If the HC cannot be the boss, then the whole
thing will be a failure from the start . . . just ask Kiffin . . .

-----

Good minds think alike Top :salute:
We are probably in the bottom 10% of people here on this subject.

You would think Bates has McDaniels resume or Shannys from when he was an OC with SF in the early 90s.

I am not showing him the door but I am not in the boat that he comes with the new head coach no matter what.

skycoyote
01-08-2009, 06:12 PM
I agree.

Medford Bronco
01-08-2009, 06:13 PM
I agree, I don't think our playcalling is all that great. It is actually idiotic most of the time. How many times are we going to throw out of the shotgun in a game? Where did our bootlegs go? I know jay isn't jake and is supposed to be a pocket passer but he does well out of the pocket and is mobile. And don't get me started on the run game.

You mean you did not love the 11 bubble sreens vs SD in the last game of the year :lol:

Dortoh
01-08-2009, 06:14 PM
I would think long and hard about 2 things if I were coming in as the new HC

1. How close and comfortable is Jay really with Bates. If it will mess with his head one little bit I keep Bates as the QBC. Face it Jay is still pretty green let him have his security blanket.

2. Is all the hype of Turners ability to pick RB's true? If so he is worth his weight in gold on my staff. If it is more rumor then truth fine toss him.

topscribe
01-08-2009, 06:14 PM

You would think Bates has McDaniels resume or Shannys from when he was an OC with SF in the early 90s.

I am not showing him the door but I am not in the boat that he comes with the new head coach no matter what.

Exactly. I am in Bates' corner if he's in the new HC's corner. Same with Turner
and the others. I have assumed a position where I theoretically supervised
leftover people whom the boss wanted there. Trust me: It never works.

-----

topscribe
01-08-2009, 06:16 PM
You mean you did not love the 11 bubble sreens vs SD in the last game of the year :lol:

:banghead:

-----

spikerman
01-08-2009, 06:17 PM

Was it only 11?

Denver Native (Carol)
01-08-2009, 06:20 PM
For keeping Bates - Cutler may very well be driving this one - he stated in an interview that he wanted Bates to remain here, and Bowlen also stated that he would keep Jay in the loop - he would be informed of what is going on.

For keeping Turner - I definitely think it would be a mistake to not keep him - his track record speaks for itself.

Buff
01-08-2009, 06:24 PM
It's not that I'm overly enamored with Bates and Co. But I'm not really excited about the notion of Cutler and the offense learning an entirely new system and setting us back another 3 years. Especially when we're basically at rock bottom with the defense...

A little continuity would be nice.

GEM
01-08-2009, 06:29 PM

Bates gets to stay because Jay Cutler specifically requested it. We've also got 2 young WR's who have blossomed under the receivers' coach. I think Bates is the only one that is absolutely staying no matter what the new coach says. I think Bowlen would let the others go IF the coach demanded it.

MOtorboat
01-08-2009, 06:30 PM
Bates gets to stay because Jay Cutler specifically requested it. We've also got 2 young WR's who have blossomed under the receivers' coach. I think Bates is the only one that is absolutely staying no matter what the new coach says. I think Bowlen would let the others go IF the coach demanded it.

Bates MAY stay because Jay Cutler wants it.

Let's remember that no one has been inked. They've just stated they are looking at retaining these specific group of coaches, pending review by the new head coach.

GEM
01-08-2009, 06:32 PM
Bates MAY stay because Jay Cutler wants it.

Let's remember that no one has been inked. They've just stated they are looking at retaining these specific group of coaches, pending review by the new head coach.

Bates has a couple things going for him.

Jay wants him here, Bowlen has said Jay is the man now and he'll do what he can to keep him happy. And he just inked a new deal. With all of the money on the books for Shanny, I doubt Bowlen is willing to carry that too and just let him go. I could very well be wrong, but that's just my opinion.

MOtorboat
01-08-2009, 06:33 PM
Bates has a couple things going for him.

Jay wants him here, Bowlen has said Jay is the man now and he'll do what he can to keep him happy. And he just inked a new deal. With all of the money on the books for Shanny, I doubt Bowlen is willing to carry that too and just let him go. I could very well be wrong, but that's just my opinion.

It all pends on who the new coach is.

nevcraw
01-08-2009, 06:35 PM
Turner is really the only guy on the staff I think is irreplaceable but we have just compiled a young very talented offensive line that is built for the ZBS. I would hate blow that up and go in rebuilding mode on both sides of the ball.. so I think keeping Dennison too would really help keep the running game going or go out and get a ZBS line coach from ZBS style college program if there was someone worth getting..
IMO they need a stud WR coach to get push baby TO into being a trully elite WR. He is now only scratching the the bottom of the best 10 WR's in the league without the ability to beat the double team or consistantly catching the ball..

Shazam!
01-08-2009, 06:36 PM
When a Coach is dismissed after 14 seasons and the team isn't 4-12 or worse, it doesn't need a whole new regime. It just needs to be tweaked a bit on the Offense side. The defense is where most of the problems lay.

The Coach that's incoming knows well the Offense is set and just needs a little ironing out.

I think it's a good move keeping Cut's guy that he is happy with. Most of the Offensive staff did a decent job last year.

WHY they want to keep Tuten, I have no friggin' idea.

MOtorboat
01-08-2009, 06:39 PM
Turner is really the only guy on the staff I think is irreplaceable but we have just compiled a young very talented offensive line that is built for the ZBS. I would hate blow that up and go in rebuilding mode on both sides of the ball.. so I think keeping Dennison too would really help keep the running game going or go out and get a ZBS line coach from ZBS style college program if there was someone worth getting..
IMO they need a stud WR coach to get push baby TO into being a trully elite WR. He is now only scratching the the bottom of the best 10 WR's in the league without the ability to beat the double team or consistantly catching the ball..

Granted, I like the ZBS...it's kind of "our" system, and there, at least until Atlanta and Green Bay and Houston and now New England a little started using it, it was our scheme. But it was also Gibb's/Shanahan's/Kubiak's/Turner's scheme.

Both Clady and Harris played in different systems in college, Hamilton is not getting any younger and Nalen has retired. If Wiegmann doesn't retire and decides to come back, he has years of experience in a non-ZBS blocking scheme in Kansas City.

While I would like to see the ZBS continued, it doesn't necessarily mean we couldn't run something else.

GEM
01-08-2009, 06:43 PM
It all pends on who the new coach is.

I can't wait much longer to find out....it's driving me mad to not know what direction we're going. :brickwall:

GEM
01-08-2009, 06:45 PM

Hasn't that always been the knock on Marshall? Can't get open or create seperation? I dunno if that has to do with coaching.

bcbronc
01-08-2009, 07:02 PM
I'm very much in favor of keeping Bobby Turner. He has proven his worth over the years and when the Broncos have healthy backs they consistently produce. The one steadying force has been Turner. The o-line has been steady, but the "one-cut and go" philosophy doesn't come naturally to a back and Turner has been a master at teaching it.

if the new HC doesn't run an offense that revolves around the one-cut and go ZBS then keeping Turner isn't necessary.

I think, with the pieces already in place, our offense is pretty much bullet proof. we'd have to find someone really incompetent to make this unit tank. if the new regimes system fits the current coaches strenghts, by all means keep them. but I don't want to try to squeeze a square peg into a round hole simply for the sake of continuity.

frauschieze
01-08-2009, 07:10 PM
Granted, I like the ZBS...it's kind of "our" system, and there, at least until Atlanta and Green Bay and Houston and now New England a little started using it, it was our scheme. But it was also Gibb's/Shanahan's/Kubiak's/Turner's scheme.

Both Clady and Harris played in different systems in college, Hamilton is not getting any younger and Nalen has retired. If Wiegmann doesn't retire and decides to come back, he has years of experience in a non-ZBS blocking scheme in Kansas City.

While I would like to see the ZBS continued, it doesn't necessarily mean we couldn't run something else.

I might be mistaken but I thought Boise ran a ZBS. That one of the nice things about bringing Clady here was that he wasn't completely starting out new in this type of system. The learning curve wasn't going to be as steep.

BroncoWave
01-08-2009, 07:12 PM
It's not that I'm overly enamored with Bates and Co. But I'm not really excited about the notion of Cutler and the offense learning an entirely new system and setting us back another 3 years. Especially when we're basically at rock bottom with the defense...

A little continuity would be nice.

Why does everyone think that learning a new offense will set us back 3 years? Learning a new offense didn't seem to set Miami, Atlanta, and Baltimore back 3 years. This offense has some of the best players in the league at their respective positions. If we just add a solid RB, the offense will be fine, regardless of what system we are running. And if we get McDaniels, which is what it's looking like now, his offense if very similar to ours do I don't think it will be nearly as big a deal as many of you think. If we get rid of Bates and Cutler doesn't like it, he'll just have to get over it and get with the new guy.

elsid13
01-08-2009, 07:43 PM

Clady came from ZBS @ Boise State, and believe that both Kuper an Lichenstinger (sp) ran a version of it in college.

MOtorboat
01-08-2009, 07:44 PM
Clady came from ZBS @ Boise State, and believe that both Kuper an Lichenstinger (sp) ran a version of it in college.

There were some similarities, but it wasn't ZBS. I remember him talking about it after the draft.

jrelway
01-08-2009, 07:46 PM
give bates a stud RB, with hillis at FB, skies the limit.

topscribe
01-08-2009, 07:51 PM
give bates a stud RB, with hillis at FB, skies the limit.

Right. Let's put Hillis at FB, where he was so-so.

Keep him away from RB, where he averaged only 5.0 YPC.

Makes sense. :nod:

-----

BroncoWave
01-08-2009, 07:53 PM
Right. Let's put Hillis at FB, where he was so-so.

Keep him away from RB, where he averaged only 5.0 YPC.

Makes sense. :nod:

-----

Do you remember the Miami game? Hillis played FB in that one and dominated. Now don't get me wrong, I love Hillis at RB, but if we bring in a stud to be the starter, I'd be fine with putting Hillis back at FB. I think he could excel at either position.

topscribe
01-08-2009, 08:01 PM
Do you remember the Miami game? Hillis played FB in that one and dominated. Now don't get me wrong, I love Hillis at RB, but if we bring in a stud to be the starter, I'd be fine with putting Hillis back at FB. I think he could excel at either position.

Hillis is a so-so blocker. That is why Larsen was brought over from the defense
to start at FB over Hilis. He excelled as a receiver at the position.

A RB can do the same type of receiving. But Hillis is a better runner than he is
a blocker. That smacks of RB.

-----

Lancane
01-08-2009, 08:03 PM

Thoughts?

Good Post Medford...and McDaniels as I have been hearing is the favorite and of those whom have been retained thus far, they will allow him to fire any he sees fit! So there is a chance some stay, but some will likely go.

Hawgdriver
01-08-2009, 08:08 PM

Thoughts?

I don't mind if he does, but it might be best to wait a year for continuity. Then again, to the bold go the spoils.

BroncoWave
01-08-2009, 08:09 PM
Hillis is a so-so blocker. That is why Larsen was brought over from the defense
to start at FB over Hilis. He excelled as a receiver at the position.

A RB can do the same type of receiving. But Hillis is a better runner than he is
a blocker. That smacks of RB.

-----

I just think it would be better to bring in a stud RB and put Hillis at FB just so we can have more weapons on the field at the same time.

topscribe
01-08-2009, 08:13 PM
I just think it would be better to bring in a stud RB and put Hillis at FB just so we can have more weapons on the field at the same time.

You may end up being right. All I am saying is that, for the brief time Hillis was at RB, he looked like a stud.

I would like to see if he can keep that up.

-----

Lancane
01-08-2009, 08:23 PM
You may end up being right. All I am saying is that, for the brief time Hillis was at RB, he looked like a stud.

I would like to see if he can keep that up.

-----

Not to sound races, because I am not...but he is white! And while there are some white safeties, and there have been some white corners, or Sehorn at least. Alstot was not a halfback to be fair...but the chances of finding a great white hope is very slim Top. White people just do not have the stamina nor usually the speed for some such positions.

topscribe
01-08-2009, 08:31 PM
Not to sound races, because I am not...but he is white! And while there are some white safeties, and there have been some white corners, or Sehorn at least. Alstot was not a halfback to be fair...but the chances of finding a great white hope is very slim Top. White people just do not have the stamina nor usually the speed for some such positions.

Rex Ryan, the mastermind of perhaps the best defense in the league (Ravens),
said that he is swayed more by a player's performance on the field than
anything else . . . more than 40 time, more than Combine figures. This is what
I am looking at: What Hillis did on the field. How many other RBs in the league
averaged 5 YPC? How many ripped off 19-yard runs, back to back to back?

I realize it was a very short-lived experiment, but on the field is where it
counts, so I would like to see further what he can do on the field at RB. In
the meantime, I will do my best to forget his skin color.

-----

Lonestar
01-08-2009, 08:44 PM

but what happens if the new coach is not a huge ZBS fan.. then it is all moot.. Just because it has worked does not mean it will continue to do so and this OLINE is more tuned for the pass game pocket protection than it has been for ZBS..

Who ever it is will have their own Ideas and for the owner to douse his prowess with water is not good.. Pat should like the guy but not replace him with another mikey.. They should share a vision but it can't be the past.. If it is then mikey should be rehired with less responsibility..

I hope dennison is gone also never quite figured out how he moved up the food chain like he did.. Ex LB in charge of the OLINE.. makes sense to me..........

TXBRONC
01-08-2009, 09:14 PM
Why does everyone think that learning a new offense will set us back 3 years? Learning a new offense didn't seem to set Miami, Atlanta, and Baltimore back 3 years. This offense has some of the best players in the league at their respective positions. If we just add a solid RB, the offense will be fine, regardless of what system we are running. And if we get McDaniels, which is what it's looking like now, his offense if very similar to ours do I don't think it will be nearly as big a deal as many of you think. If we get rid of Bates and Cutler doesn't like it, he'll just have to get over it and get with the new guy.

As far as I know those three teams didn't change their offensive systems. I think the Falcons still use the zone blocking scheme, while Miami and Baltimore seem to still be running similar offensive systems. We change to power running game where the offensive line is suppose to maul the defense then we would be in major changes along the line. The only lineman that would be safe is Clady. In my opinion that could (but not necessarily) set us back three years just to find the right personnel. Also learn new offense with a different language could take that much time to learn regardless of how talented they are.

Lancane
01-08-2009, 09:22 PM
Rex Ryan, the mastermind of perhaps the best defense in the league (Ravens),
said that he is swayed more by a player's performance on the field than
anything else . . . more than 40 time, more than Combine figures. This is what
I am looking at: What Hillis did on the field. How many other RBs in the league
averaged 5 YPC? How many ripped off 19-yard runs, back to back to back?

I realize it was a very short-lived experiment, but on the field is where it
counts, so I would like to see further what he can do on the field at RB. In
the meantime, I will do my best to forget his skin color.

-----

Hahaha...fair, but it takes more then that to impress me. A forty yard run and a 65 yard run would have given me more hope. But with a new Head Coach coming, I would not count on Hillis being named the starting tailback anytime soon.

MOtorboat
01-08-2009, 09:23 PM
Hahaha...fair, but it takes more then that to impress me. A forty yard run and a 65 yard run would have given me more hope. But with a new Head Coach coming, I would not count on Hillis being named the starting tailback anytime soon.

I think you're right. I fully expect a Day 1 running back, and since we only have two picks on day one...well, I would expect it to be our second round pick. Maybe Shonn Greene...don't know.

BroncoWave
01-08-2009, 09:32 PM
As far as I know those three teams didn't change their offensive systems. I think the Falcons still use the zone blocking scheme, while Miami and Baltimore seem to still be running similar offensive systems. We change to power running game where the offensive line is suppose to maul the defense then we would be in major changes along the line. The only lineman that would be safe is Clady. In my opinion that could (but not necessarily) set us back three years just to find the right personnel. Also learn new offense with a different language could take that much time to learn regardless of how talented they are.

If we get McDaniels, we ARE going to be running a very similar system. And even if we get Spags, I would take a change in the offense if it meant improving the defense.

Lancane
01-08-2009, 09:33 PM
I think you're right. I fully expect a Day 1 running back, and since we only have two picks on day one...well, I would expect it to be our second round pick. Maybe Shonn Greene...don't know.

He would be a good addition, maybe Donald Brown or Javon Ringer even. I will not say that a day one tailback is guaranteed...but I do expect Denver to draft one by the end of the 4th Round to be honest.

MOtorboat
01-08-2009, 09:35 PM
He would be a good addition, maybe Donald Brown or Javon Ringer even. I will not say that a day one tailback is guaranteed...but I do expect Denver to draft one by the end of the 4th Round to be honest.

I like Ringer.

topscribe
01-08-2009, 09:40 PM

That may be true. But I would expect the new coach to give him a shot at it.
The HC will be studying film, after all, any he will see a few of Hillis' rips up the
middle and off-tackle.

But, of course, he will see competition, and I still like what I've seen of Torain,
and the Broncos may be bringing in yet another RB through the draft, from
the third or fourth round on. (I don't see them picking one any earlier than
that with the needs on defense.)

I see you allluded to Hillis' speed, but his 4.58 40 is actually a little faster than
TD's approximately 4.7, and Hillis showed football speed, too. So, when you
consider that TD's longest run was 71 yards, I can imagine Hillis ripping off
one, yes. (And for the little slower of us upstairs, I am not comparing Hillis to
TD as a RB--only their respective speeds.)

-----

MOtorboat
01-08-2009, 09:42 PM
The HC will be studying film, after all, any he will see a few of Hillis' rips up the
middle and off-tackle.

But, of course, he will see competition, and I still like what I've seen of Torain,

I see you allluded to Hillis' speed, but his 4.58 40 is actually a little faster than
one, yes. (And for the little slower of us upstairs, I am not comparing Hillis to

-----

Actually, I think with a new coach, he's more likely not to be given a chance.

topscribe
01-08-2009, 09:45 PM
Actually, I think with a new coach, he's more likely not to be given a chance.

That may be true, too. It's all speculation at this point . . . http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh256/AZDynamics/Smilies/cheersgif.png

-----

Lancane
01-08-2009, 09:45 PM
I like Ringer.

I have to give props to anyone from my Alma Mater...

There is a saying to being a Trojan: "God made man, and man made legends, but only those willing to be legends can be Trojans!"

topscribe
01-08-2009, 09:47 PM
I have to give props to anyone from my Alma Mater...

There is a saying to being a Trojan: "God made man, and man made legends, but only those willing to be legends can be Trojans!"

But, as a Wildcat fan, I've always equated Trojans to prophylactics . . . :D

-----

Lancane
01-08-2009, 09:47 PM
middle and off-tackle.

-----

Be honest Top...you like the white kids who get a chance...I mean you did get to see the 'Ghost' and other white legends actually play, when the rest of us had to watch them in black in white reels! Hehehe...

Kidding...hahaha. :lol:

topscribe
01-08-2009, 09:49 PM
Be honest Top...you like the white kids who get a chance...I mean you did get to see the 'Ghost' and other white legends actually play, when the rest of us had to watch them in black in white reels! Hehehe...

Kidding...hahaha. :lol:

Did you ever see Dances With Wolves?

The white guy becomes an Indian . . .

-----

Lancane
01-08-2009, 09:50 PM
But, as a Wildcat fan, I've always equated Trojans to prophylactics . . . :D

-----

Sheeeeesh, it is bad enough that Trojan Condoms have rallies at MSU because of the mascot, now you are going to start that...lol.

But you know what they say about Wildcats don't you? Come here putty putty! (I used language unoffensive to boards!...fair to say those T's should be S's.)

:eek: :lol:

Lancane
01-08-2009, 09:52 PM
Did you ever see Dances With Wolves?

The white guy becomes an Indian . . .

-----

Notice how he knew his time was up being an indian as well? :salute:

topscribe
01-08-2009, 09:53 PM
Sheeeeesh, it is bad enough that Trojan Condoms have rallies at MSU because of the mascot, now you are going to start that...lol.

But you know what they say about Wildcats don't you? Come here putty putty! (I used language unoffensive to boards!...fair to say those T's should be S's.)

:eek: :lol:

And you're going to throw that at a mod, after insulting his school??

*scours through the rules and regulations*

-----

topscribe
01-08-2009, 09:55 PM
Notice how he knew his time was up being an indian as well? :salute:

Cane, there is something you obviously learned quite well, a long time ago . . .

. . . better to be a smartass than a dumbass . . . :D

-----

MOtorboat
01-08-2009, 09:55 PM

-----

Definitely deserves a circumvention of the language filter "concerning your post"

:coffee:

Lancane
01-08-2009, 09:57 PM

-----

Hey now...my name is not spermacide, who insulted who's school first??? Hehehe...

:beer:

topscribe
01-08-2009, 09:58 PM
Definitely deserves a circumvention of the language filter "concerning your post"

:coffee:

Nah, I think he exposed himself quite well . . .

In fact, I remember hearing about his doing that once before.

Spent a night in jail for it . . .

-----

Lancane
01-08-2009, 09:59 PM
Cane, there is something you obviously learned quite well, a long time ago . . .

. . . better to be a smartass than a dumbass . . . :D

-----

We got use to losing football games at Michigan State, so we worked harder to get educations...see, it did pay off!

;)

Though my mother would disagree...lol.

Lancane
01-08-2009, 10:00 PM
Nah, I think he exposed himself quite well . . .

In fact, I remember hearing about his doing that once before.

Spent a night in jail for it . . .

-----

It was three nights damnit....:tsk:

topscribe
01-08-2009, 10:04 PM
Well, we've thoroughly hijacked Med's thread. Sorry, Med.

:focus:

-----

Medford Bronco
01-08-2009, 10:09 PM
Well, we've thoroughly hijacked Med's thread. Sorry, Med.

:focus:

-----

lol Med has hijacked enought threads.:lol: this has been pure entertainment so is okay by me.

at least some more people agree with me than I thought.

I am not kicking Bates/Turner to the door but I want my new coach
to pick his own staff and his own scheme. He owes none of the holdovers
nothing if he so chooses.

Lancane
01-08-2009, 10:43 PM
lol Med has hijacked enought threads.:lol: this has been pure entertainment so is okay by me.

at least some more people agree with me than I thought.

I am not kicking Bates/Turner to the door but I want my new coach
to pick his own staff and his own scheme. He owes none of the holdovers
nothing if he so chooses.

Agreed...and you know what, Cutler will just have to man up! McDaniels will probably keep Bates as the quarterback coach in truth, but I do not see him being the coordinator under him...not a chance. Dennison will likely be retained as the offensive line coach because of what they did and Turner could be a no brainer, and they will just have to swallow it or leave.

But I could see Bill O'Brien named Offensive Coordinator and Nick Caserio brought in as the Wide Receiver Coach. Something to that effect. He may even bring some staff from Miami and the University of Alabama.

omac
01-08-2009, 11:08 PM
Agreed...and you know what, Cutler will just have to man up! McDaniels will probably keep Bates as the quarterback coach in truth, but I do not see him being the coordinator under him...not a chance. Dennison will likely be retained as the offensive line coach because of what they did and Turner could be a no brainer, and they will just have to swallow it or leave.

But I could see Bill O'Brien named Offensive Coordinator and Nick Caserio brought in as the Wide Receiver Coach. Something to that effect. He may even bring some staff from Miami and the University of Alabama.

Cutler will be able to adjust. Shanahan has one of the more complex playbooks, and Cutler had to absorb a different gameplan every week. It does take a while, though, to get comfortable with the terminology, as well as get the timing with the receivers.

On the extreme cases ... you get Peyton who's played with virtually the same playbook his whole career, and it shows with Peyton able adjust and call any play from out of the blue. On the other end of the spectrum, you got guys like Jason Campbell and Alex Smith who've had their offenses changed every season, so they'd look like rookies even though they've been in the league since 2005.

Whatever the case, the head coach must be allowed by Bowlen to do whatever he wants with the team, otherwise, he'd be ineffective like any Raiders coach after Gruden.

EastCoastBronco
01-09-2009, 09:37 AM
It wasn't the inconsistencey of our O that gave me the shakes....It was the damn predictability. Especially in the red zone. I won't give a rats ass if they let go of Bates.

Ziggy
01-09-2009, 09:50 AM
I wouldn't mind seeing Cutler lose his security blanket at all. Maybe he'll grow up a little bit and stop staring down his receivers and throwing into triple coverage. He has the talent to be a superstar, but I don't know if he has the mentality to be one. We should find out in the next season or 2.

Bowlen isn't foolish enough to try to force existing assistant coaches onto a top coaching candidate. It has been stated that the Broncos will encourage candidates to keep some of them, not try to force them to. I'm one of the few on this board that like the fact that the Broncos are not rushing into this decision. I'd rather they take the time to thoroughly research all options and bring in the person that they think will turn this team around.

I am a huge fan of Shanahan the coach, but he had his flaws. This team hasn't been tough since the Super Bowl years. Maybe we can get a guy in here to turn the entire mentality around. How nice would it be to have a team that wants to come out and bully, bruise and beat down another team? We haven't had that in a long, long, time. Personally, I miss it.

As far as the zbs goes, I'll say what I said in another thread. I believe that Clady, Kuper, and Harris can all play any scheme. Hamilton is and always has been overrated, and Wegeman has already announced that he may retire. Lichtensteiger can take over at either guard or center, and we have the draft and free agency to help supplement the Oline. If we are going to switch away from the zbs, this is as good of a year as any to do so.

Bronco Bible
01-09-2009, 12:45 PM

:mad: