PDA

View Full Version : New Coach Would Be Wise To Leave Offense Alone

TheSportsGuru
01-08-2009, 01:57 PM
Word came out that the Broncos are going to 'urge' the new Head Coach to keep 6 existing assistant coaches from the current staff. This is not entirely a financial decision since all the Broncos assistants were under contract for 2009 and most have been shown the door. What it is, however, is wise thinking by Pat Bowlen, and whoever does finally win the Broncos sweepstakes would be wise to take Bowlen's urging under advisement.

Read More.....

http://www.milehighreport.com/2009/1/8/714003/new-head-coach-would-be-wi

topscribe
01-08-2009, 04:58 PM
That's an excellent article over there, and well worth the read.

Lots of other great articles over on MHR, too.

-----

Lancane
01-08-2009, 07:58 PM
Word came out that the Broncos are going to 'urge' the new Head Coach to keep 6 existing assistant coaches from the current staff. This is not entirely a financial decision since all the Broncos assistants were under contract for 2009 and most have been shown the door. What it is, however, is wise thinking by Pat Bowlen, and whoever does finally win the Broncos sweepstakes would be wise to take Bowlen's urging under advisement.

Read More.....

http://www.milehighreport.com/2009/1/8/714003/new-head-coach-would-be-wi

While it is all good and dandy that some fans feel the next Head Coach should leave it alone, there is not a very likely chance in hades it happens...no matter if we hire a Defensive or Offensive minded Head Coach. Only under Dennison would it remain as such. A coach will not want to be on a team where he does not trust or know his coaches like in Oakland! Garrett is the only other candidate that would likely retain much of the staff since he knows them.

TXBRONC
01-09-2009, 04:36 PM
While it is all good and dandy that some fans feel the next Head Coach should leave it alone, there is not a very likely chance in hades it happens...no matter if we hire a Defensive or Offensive minded Head Coach. Only under Dennison would it remain as such. A coach will not want to be on a team where he does not trust or know his coaches like in Oakland! Garrett is the only other candidate that would likely retain much of the staff since he knows them.

I'm not it will happen but there is plenty instances where a new head coach left an offensive or defensive unit alone because it was working. When Dan Reeves was hired he didn't change the defensive scheme from a 3-4 to 4-3 until nearly the end of his tenure as head coach.

Watchthemiddle
01-09-2009, 07:40 PM
Depending on who it is and if there is an ego involved, the new HC in my opinion will blow up the entire offensive coaching staff. Our offense needs coaching help the same way the D needs it. Who's to say the new HC even likes our scheme?

Magnificent Seven
01-09-2009, 08:59 PM
I agreed

TXBRONC
01-09-2009, 09:02 PM
Depending on who it is and if there is an ego involved, the new HC in my opinion will blow up the entire offensive coaching staff. Our offense needs coaching help the same way the D needs it. Who's to say the new HC even likes our scheme?

I don't agree with you there WTM our offense doesn't need the same kind of help that the defense does. Whose to say that the new head coach wont like it either?

Watchthemiddle
01-09-2009, 09:39 PM
I don't agree with you there WTM our offense doesn't need the same kind of help that the defense does. Whose to say that the new head coach wont like it either?

My biggest complaint about the offense is the play calling. I thought we were going to see some creativity over the past 3 season, but have yet to see it on a consistent basis. What really put me over the edge was the 7 bubble screens in the last game of the season. THey worked well the first 3-4 games of the season, but teams caught on. We seemed to never really adapt to defenses making adjustments against us. Maybe some of that had to do with SHanahan. Who knows...but whatever the case is, with our weapons we should have been averaging more than 23 ppg.

TXBRONC
01-09-2009, 09:58 PM
My biggest complaint about the offense is the play calling. I thought we were going to see some creativity over the past 3 season, but have yet to see it on a consistent basis. What really put me over the edge was the 7 bubble screens in the last game of the season. THey worked well the first 3-4 games of the season, but teams caught on. We seemed to never really adapt to defenses making adjustments against us. Maybe some of that had to do with SHanahan. Who knows...but whatever the case is, with our weapons we should have been averaging more than 23 ppg.

We probably woud have scored more points if there wouldn't have been as many turnovers and if running game had been more stable.

Watchthemiddle
01-09-2009, 10:23 PM
We probably woud have scored more points if there wouldn't have been as many turnovers and if running game had been more stable.

2nd in the league with YPG, 16th in the league in scoring. That has to change

TXBRONC
01-09-2009, 10:40 PM

If that's the only measuring of a running game that would be great argument. The running game still wasn't consistent. We didn't have one running back crack 100 carries nor did any of our running backs have more than five rushing touchdowns. Much of this was do to injuries nevertheless by the end of season we didn't have a reliable running game. If that changes I'm pretty scoring will go up.

slim
01-09-2009, 10:45 PM

Amen...

Watchthemiddle
01-09-2009, 10:48 PM
If that's the only measuring of a running game that would be great argument. The running game still wasn't consistent. We didn't have one running back crack 100 carries nor did any of our running backs have more than five rushing touchdowns. Much of this was do to injuries nevertheless by the end of season we didn't have a reliable running game. If that changes I'm pretty scoring will go up.

Well looking at the stats, we seemed to have given up on the running game too soon. To be 12th in the league in YPG on the ground with a 4.7 YPC to go with it, it would seem like we would have stuck with it more throughout the game and controlled the clock. But we didn't. I know we have a QB and talent at TE and WR, but clock management and not stressing over being down by 7 or 10 could have done wonders for the D and the O. Especially the D. Injuries aside, when we did run the ball it was successful.

TXBRONC
01-09-2009, 10:59 PM
Well looking at the stats, we seemed to have given up on the running game too soon. To be 12th in the league in YPG on the ground with a 4.7 YPC to go with it, it would seem like we would have stuck with it more throughout the game and controlled the clock. But we didn't. I know we have a QB and talent at TE and WR, but clock management and not stressing over being down by 7 or 10 could have done wonders for the D and the O. Especially the D. Injuries aside, when we did run the ball it was successful.

Until Hillis emerged we didn't a running back that we could depend on like that WTM. Then of coarse when Hillis went down making what 7 running backs on IR? We had nothing left to run with. Bell and Young are similar backs and they just didn't cut it down the stretch.

Tned
01-09-2009, 11:19 PM

Our offense might need some coaching help, but nothing like what the D needs. The Broncos could run the EXACT same offense as this year, and if they don't get hit with the injury bug, they will do fine. Don't get me wrong, Cutler and Marshall need to take their game to the next level, and that involves coaching. They are both insanely talented, but they both made a ton of mistakes. However, it is very possible that someone like Bates working closely with Cutler (I believe last year he worked with the receivers) could be like when a young Shanahan worked with Elway.

The defense is another whole can of worms. It has MAJOR talent gaps, and no identity to fall back on.

Tned
01-09-2009, 11:21 PM

When you combine 6 backs on IR (not even counting Aldridge, since he might not have made the team or roster) with the dropped passes, and scoring is going to suffer.

TXBRONC
01-09-2009, 11:55 PM
When you combine 6 backs on IR (not even counting Aldridge, since he might not have made the team or roster) with the dropped passes, and scoring is going to suffer.

Add to that as duly noted the turnovers and a defense that couldn't get turnovers or get stops, scoring is going to come at a premium.