PDA

View Full Version : Search for Shanahan's successor nearing end zone

Traveler
01-08-2009, 08:37 AM
Search for Shanahan's successor nearing end zone
By Mike Klis
The Denver Post

They are the Seven who would replace Shanahan.

Once Todd Bowles of the Miami Dolphins has his say today, the Broncos' search committee to replace coach Mike Shanahan will end its parade of candidates at seven.

If it's possible, Bob Stoops can coach the Bowl Championship Series title game tonight in peace. The Oklahoma coach was telling the truth this week when he said he's not a candidate for the Broncos' head coaching position. An NFL source with knowledge of the Broncos' search confirmed Wednesday night Stoops is not under consideration.

The Broncos' next head coach will come from one of the seven identified candidates, according to the source. The six who have been interviewed, in order of appearance before the Broncos' search committee, were New York Giants defensive coordinator Steve Spagnuolo, New England offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels, Tampa Bay defensive coordinator Raheem Morris, Broncos offensive coordinator Rick Dennison, Dallas offensive coordinator Jason Garrett and Minnesota defensive coordinator Leslie Frazier, who was at the team's Dove Valley headquarters Wednesday.
Bowles, the secondary/assistant head coach of the Dolphins, will conclude the interview process today.

The Broncos' new head coach will be encouraged to keep six assistant coaches left over from Shanahan's staff. According to two NFL sources, the Broncos have sent termination notices to the league office for all assistants except Dennison, Jeremy Bates (quarterbacks), Jedd Fisch (receivers), Bobby Turner (running backs), Bill Johnson (defensive line) and Rich Tuten (strength and conditioning).

The Broncos will honor the contracts of the other assistant coaches — which run through at least 2009 — but their future with the organization is at the discretion of the team's next head coach.

The committee searching for that head coach consists of Broncos owner Pat Bowlen, chief operating officer Joe Ellis and the football operations executive trio of Jim Goodman, Brian Xanders and Jeff Goodman.

The feeling among the committee as it adjourned Wednesday night was that four or five of the candidates will be an NFL head coach someday. The question is, which one does Bowlen pick to coach his team?

The search committee will spend the next two or three days thoroughly discussing each candidate. By Monday, the committee will bring back one to three finalists for a second interview or present an offer to the top choice.

Ellis, the Goodmans and Xanders will submit their choice, or choices, to Bowlen. The owner will then make his first head coaching hire since Jan. 31, 1995, when he lured Shanahan away from his job as offensive coordinator of the San Francisco 49ers.

Whirlwind tour
The Broncos' interview panel of Pat Bowlen, CEO Joe Ellis, player personnel head Jim Goodman and assistant GMs Brian Xanders and Jeff Goodman by today will have met with seven candidates to replace Mike Shanahan as coach:

Steve Spagnuolo - New York Giants defensive coordinator, Jan. 3 in New York

Josh McDaniels - New England offensive coordinator, Jan. 4 in Rhode Island

Raheem Morris - Tampa Bay defensive coordinator, Jan. 5 in Denver

Jason Garrett - Dallas offensive coordinator, Jan. 6 in Denver

Rick Dennison - Broncos offensive coordinator, Jan. 6 in Denver

Leslie Frazier - Minnesota defensive coordinator, Jan. 7 in Denver

Todd Bowles - Miami secondary/assistant head coach, today in Denver

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_11403273

Dean
01-08-2009, 08:42 AM
I am glad that Dennison and Turner have a good shot at coming back. They have shown ability over a long period of time. Bates and the recievers' coach would almost ensure a return of this year's offense that racked up nearly 400 yards per game.

Tned
01-08-2009, 08:44 AM
Hmmm, defensive line coach. I didn't see that one coming. I guess it goes to show that at least in management's mind, you can't completely based performance on the coaches. They may have felt he brought the young guys along, but that the talent was limited enough to explain minimial production from the line.

It will also be interesting what happens if Spags is one of the 1-3 finalists, and the Giants win this weekend.

claymore
01-08-2009, 08:45 AM
Not a hater, but I think Bill Johnson and Rich Tuten could pack their bags as well.

MOtorboat
01-08-2009, 08:45 AM
Hmmm, defensive line coach. I didn't see that one coming. I guess it goes to show that at least in management's mind, you can't completely based performance on the coaches. They may have felt he brought the young guys along, but that the talent was limited enough to explain minimial production from the line.

It will also be interesting what happens if Spags is one of the 1-3 finalists, and the Giants win this weekend.

I thought I saw that he had already interviewed in St. Louis, New Orleans and Green Bay, but now I can't find that.

Fan in Exile
01-08-2009, 08:46 AM
Thanks for the article it's really nice to have a timeline. I was a little diturbed that they're looking at keeping Bill Johnson around for the D-line. He's had two years and I haven't seen the results.

Tned
01-08-2009, 08:52 AM
I am glad that Dennison and Turner have a good shot at coming back. They have shown ability over a long period of time. Bates and the recievers' coach would almost ensure a return of this year's offense that racked up nearly 400 yards per game.

Something I haven't seen anyone mention, which could possibly lead to McDaniels and those offensive coaches meshing, is the fact that Cutler said earlier this year that they had reviewed and copied some of New Englands offense in thie off season:

For those who figured the Broncos' offensive attack looked a little like last year's Patriots, with spread formations and a lot of passes, you'd be right.

"We really liked what the Patriots were doing with some of their empty sets," quarterback Jay Cutler said, referring to some offseason study. "We've got similar weapons with our guys, with our tight ends and our backs are able to get out.

"Offensively we kind of matched up with what they were doing and we thought we might put it in, and it's working so far."

There's little doubt about the success. The Broncos are 2-0 and lead the league in yards gained and points.

The Broncos have passed the ball at a surprising rate. Cutler threw 50 passes on Sunday against San Diego, which tied a franchise record. The 2007 Patriots were the highest-scoring offense in NFL history and asking the Broncos to duplicate their numbers would be absurd. But Denver thinks the wide-open style fits their personnel, and quarterbacks coach Jeremy Bates has gotten a lot of credit for his aggressive plan.

"Jeremy is doing a heck of job play-calling, changing things up," Shanahan said.

Cutler said the Broncos also studied the Steelers, Chargers, Cowboys and this week's opponent, the Saints, who are all pass-heavy teams.

"This is a copycat league and everyone looks at everyone, everyone takes plays and tweaks them here and there a little bit," Cutler said.

http://www.dailycamera.com/news/2008/sep/18/broncos-open-up-offense/?partner=RSS

Traveler
01-08-2009, 08:53 AM
I wonder if Dennison would still be willing to stay with the team if he's not selected as the HC?

Nomad
01-08-2009, 08:55 AM
Not a hater, but I think Bill Johnson and Rich Tuten could pack their bags as well.

You're such a hater, I'm disappointed:tsk: The BRONCOS had an outstanding d-line and the players were in the best condition out all the teams in the NFL!:D

Tned
01-08-2009, 08:55 AM
I wonder if Dennison would still be willing to stay with the team if he's not selected as the HC?

It's hard to imagine him not staying. I haven't seen his name thrown around as a legitimate head coaching candidate. His situation is made worse by the fact that nearly every article that talked about the Broncos offense this year talked about it being Bates' offense, not Dennison's.

horsesense
01-08-2009, 09:21 AM
I thought something was posted a few weeks ago regarding the status of strength and conditioning, and that area would be addressed at seasons end. With all the injuries this year you would think that would be a concern. Im not hating either, and am sure some of the injuries would/could have happened regardless of who was at the helm.

LRtagger
01-08-2009, 09:31 AM
The problem with keeping assistants is, if we completely overhaul the defense as we are all expecting...especially if we switch to a 3-4, not only will the players need to get up to speed, but so will the position coaches. IMO, in the end we would be better off getting rid of Johnson (and Tuten for obvious reasons) and bringing in staff that knows whatever system we switch to and how to get the most out of players in that particular system. The only reason I can think of to keep a guy like Johnson is that he is familiar with the players...but we have enough young and newly aquired FAs that switching their position coach shouldnt hurt their long-term development (no more than it already has been hurt playing under multiple DCs including SLOWik and his staff).

Tebow4Ever
01-08-2009, 09:57 AM
The More I think about it, I think a Mcdaniels/Capers duo would work well. With such a relatively young team. I think Capers could help out the defense quite a bit while Mcdaniels has had proven success that will keep the offense clicking on as many cylinders as possible. Marshall and Royal will be given the opportunity to continue flourishing, Keep in mind also that Graham is familiar with Mcdaniels during his time in NE. So we have veteran leader who can help the process for the other guys.

claymore
01-08-2009, 10:08 AM
The More I think about it, I think a Mcdaniels/Capers duo would work well. With such a relatively young team. I think Capers could help out the defense quite a bit while Mcdaniels has had proven success that will keep the offense clicking on as many cylinders as possible. Marshall and Royal will be given the opportunity to continue flourishing, Keep in mind also that Graham is familiar with Mcdaniels during his time in NE. So we have veteran leader who can help the process for the other guys.

My concern is with Cutler. I hope he and McDaniels really hit it off, and he doesent hold any false resentment towards the guy.

NightTrainLayne
01-08-2009, 10:17 AM
So. .. Is it Bowlen that is in love with Bill Johnson and Tuten instead of Shanny? Is it possible that Bowlen had his fingers in Shanny's coaching staff more than we would have expected?

I don't know, but with those two staying which were in charge of arguably the weakest components of the team over the past two years it sure makes me wonder.

Medford Bronco
01-08-2009, 10:17 AM
So. .. Is it Bowlen that is in love with Bill Johnson and Tuten instead of Shanny? Is it possible that Bowlen had his fingers in Shanny's coaching staff more than we would have expected?

I don't know, but with those two staying which were in charge of arguably the weakest components of the team over the past two years it sure makes me wonder.

I would say that it is not a guaranty they stay. Just speculation

Denver Native (Carol)
01-08-2009, 11:20 AM
Here is a listing of all of the assistant coaches the Broncos had. I did not realize that Slowik's kid (guess it is his kid) was also an assistant coach.

http://www.nfl.com/teams/coaches?coaType=assist&team=DEN

LRtagger
01-08-2009, 11:21 AM
Here is a listing of all of the assistant coaches the Broncos had. I did not realize that Slowik's kid (guess it is his kid) was also an assistant coach.

http://www.nfl.com/teams/coaches?coaType=assist&team=DEN

Yea special teams assistant...go figure the Slowiks had a hand in the two worst facets of the organization.:elefant:

underrated29
01-08-2009, 11:30 AM
IT SUCKS that they are keeping the DL coach, but it more than makes up for it in the fact that TURNER is staying.

He is soo vital to us and i really think he is underrated to the highest degree.

MHCBill
01-08-2009, 11:30 AM
I don't think a new head coach is obligated to keep any of these assistants. They just weren't terminated at this time.