PDA

View Full Version : Champ-Elbow Surgery

Shazam!
01-08-2009, 02:08 AM
Bailey to have elbow surgery Thursday
Injury suffered by cornerback was in final game of year
By Lee Rasizer, Rocky Mountain News
January 7, 2009

It took a decade, but Champ Bailey finally will go under the knife as an NFL player.

Bailey, the Broncos' eight-time Pro Bowl cornerback, will undergo surgery Thursday to repair torn ligaments in his left elbow, an injury he suffered during the season finale at San Diego.

Bailey also suffered cartilage damage when he was injured making a first-quarter tackle during the Dec. 28 loss to the Chargers at Qualcomm Stadium; he ended up finishing the game.

Those loose bodies also will be removed from his elbow during the surgical procedure.

The anticipated recovery time is three to four months.

That would jeopardize Bailey's availability for offseason minicamps. But he is expected to be fully recovered by the time the Broncos open training camp in July.

The news caps the toughest year in Bailey's distinguished career. He had missed only three games in nine seasons before tearing a groin muscle Oct. 20 at New England. He sat out the next nine games but returned for the Dec. 21 matchup against Buffalo and was credited with making 10 unassisted tackles.

But in his two late-season appearances, Bailey clearly was limited in terms of his speed and ability to make split-second turns and cuts.

The groin injury is expected to heal with time, but that's not the case with his ailing elbow

http://www.rockymountainnews.com/news/2009/jan/07/bailey-to-have-elbow-surgery-thursday/

Astrass
01-08-2009, 02:36 AM
Man....poor guy. He better get a ring soon...and hopefully it's with Denver.

PatricktheDookie
01-08-2009, 04:00 AM
Elbow won't heal with time? Permanent damage?

Requiem / The Dagda
01-08-2009, 05:09 AM
Damaged goods. Trade him. Ayo.

PatricktheDookie
01-08-2009, 07:06 AM
Because what we need is one less playmaker on defense.

Dean
01-08-2009, 07:24 AM

The damage is only permanent if the free floating bodies are allowed to remain. As long as they are present, movement causes them to actually enter the joint causing irritation, pain, and catilage damage.

Dirk
01-08-2009, 07:26 AM
An damaged Champ is still better than a healthy Bly.....

LRtagger
01-08-2009, 09:43 AM

They are saying it wont heal on its own with time...needs surgery.

claymore
01-08-2009, 09:48 AM
An damaged Champ is still better than a healthy Bly.....

Thats not saying much. :D

Tebow4Ever
01-08-2009, 10:01 AM
Let Champ go, he will never be the Champ of yesterday...Still one hell of a cornerback, But I'd like to see him get a ring. I dont know if he has enough time here to do that.

Shazam!
01-08-2009, 11:30 AM
I'm sorry, but Denver should deal him while he still is a commodity and there would be eager takers, like Dallas, NE, Tenn or Indy.

Denver needs too much on defense. They need to get everything upfront.

Even Bly would play like Champ with any kind of a passrush.

I like Champ. But he's running out of time. He has value. Could even get a 1st and a 2nd or 3rd.

MHCBill
01-08-2009, 11:32 AM
You don't trade Champ Bailey. Get a decent pass rush and a defensive coordinator that has a clue and you get to see Champ make plays.

By the way... anyone notice he's our best tackler?

Shazam!
01-08-2009, 11:39 AM
Um, yeah. That says your defense SUCKS when your CB is your best tackler.

PatricktheDookie
01-08-2009, 12:02 PM
You never, ever, ever, trade your best player for draft picks unless you're in a long-term rebuilding project.

Who cares if we get a first and a second? That could just as easily become another Tim Crowder and Jarvis Moss.

broncofaninfla
01-08-2009, 12:08 PM
I'm not ready to give up on Champ just yet. We need some vets on defense to lead the young guys we are sure to have next season. Champ is one of the best CB's of all time. A guy like him is vital in giving these young guys direction and showing them how to conduct yourself at the next level. Not to mention he is still one of the best in the league and can be even better if we can muster even a half *ss pass rush next season.

BroncoWave
01-08-2009, 12:51 PM
Damaged goods. What's that, 4 injuries in the last 3 years now? Seems a little more than a coincidence.

D1g1tal j1m
01-08-2009, 01:28 PM
I would rather trade Bly and any of our safeties for a bag of peanuts and a used kicking tee than to trade Champ. Champ has become the leader of the D and just needs lots of help. You don't trade Champ unless someone offers you a Starting MLB and a passrushing DE (which will not happen).

Nomad
01-08-2009, 01:31 PM
I'm not ready to give up on Champ just yet. We need some vets on defense to lead the young guys we are sure to have next season. Champ is one of the best CB's of all time. A guy like him is vital in giving these young guys direction and showing them how to conduct yourself at the next level. Not to mention he is still one of the best in the league and can be even better if we can muster even a half *ss pass rush next season.

I agree! Hopefully Champ is willing to work with the young players. The only Bailey I would send down the road is Boss, does us no good if he will always be injured.

D1g1tal j1m
01-08-2009, 01:39 PM
Also, maybe Champ has gotten injured this year because he has had to do so much these last few years to cover for the mistakes of the rest of his defensive teammates. He has had to do a lot of running to make sideline to sideline tackles just to be a part of the play (as teams have shied away from his side of the field) and made way too many tackles as a DB. Hopefully a revamped D with bigger and better tacklers will allow Champ to focus on defending the pass and less tackling as a DB.

girler
01-08-2009, 01:39 PM
Mike let Al Wilson and John Lynch go when he thought he'd be able to get something for them- but all he did was loose the heart and soul of the defense. They meant something to the :defense: but not much to anyone else. If we trade champ now, there will be nothing left but a pile of goo.

The heart of the Broncos defense won't even be able to beat if he's gone.

WARHORSE
01-08-2009, 01:48 PM
Move Champ to free safety. Let the man play longer.

Hed kill at FS with a pass rush, and it wont be as hard on his body as CB is, especially in the groin area..............

TheBear
01-08-2009, 02:30 PM
I agree with War, do what was done with Rod Woodson and prolong the career. Let him play his hunches and reads from centerfield, even blitz blindside. Might be somewhat slight but has the talent to overcome that.

broncofaninfla
01-08-2009, 04:05 PM
I'd say I'd be open to seeing Champ move to FS later on in his career but for now, injuries aside, he is still one of the CB's in the game and will be even better with a pass rush. New blood is coming, I'm optimistic we will improve on getting to the QB this year with Slowick out of the picture and new talent on the way.

Den21vsBal19
01-08-2009, 08:56 PM
Damaged goods. What's that, 4 injuries in the last 3 years now? Seems a little more than a coincidence.
It is more than a coincidence....................................... ..maybe not the elbow, but another instance of the plethora of groins, it's gotta be Tuten :mad:

Says a lot for the rest of the D that with a dislocated elbow, and missing a series against the Chargers he was still our leading tackler :sad:

broncohead
01-08-2009, 09:24 PM
I wouldn't mind seeing him move to FS after next year to add a couple years to his career.

Denver Native (Carol)
01-09-2009, 01:50 PM
http://www.denverpost.com/ci_11411486?source=rss

Champ Bailey gets needed left elbow surgery

With nearly the entire game in front of him, and the outcome leading to either the playoffs or season's end, Champ Bailey must not have believed there was much choice.

Pop the gruesomely dislocated left elbow back into its socket and go back in and play.

Bailey, the Broncos' star cornerback, played essentially the entirety of the final game, against the San Diego Chargers on Dec. 28, with a dislocated elbow injury so serious it required surgery Wednesday, according to an NFL source. The surgery was performed by Broncos physician Dr. Ted Schlegel and went well.

Bailey suffered the dislocation on the second play of the game during a long run by Chargers running back LaDainian Tomlinson that was called back by penalty.

With a playoff spot on the line, Bailey had his elbow popped back into place and returned for the second defensive series. The Broncos were clobbered 52-21, a defeat that at least partially led to the firing of head coach Mike Shanahan. Bailey finished the game with seven unassisted tackles.

His dislocated elbow is similar to the one suffered in training camp by Broncos rookie back Ryan Torain, who was out three months before returning. Bailey should be ready to return in time for the team's second offseason minicamp in mid-May.

As Bailey heals, there is a chance the Broncos may consider reworking the final two years and $16 million left on his contract. He is due a $2 million roster bonus on March 1.

Lonestar
01-09-2009, 02:23 PM
Folks CB routinely play into their mid 30's Darrell Greene played until he was 42..

CB get better with time they may be a step slower down the line but they make up for it is being in the right place ant the right time..

He has another 4-7 years in him unless of course some of you youngster feel the need to get him a motorized wheel chair for those really long deep routes..

I'd rather have Champ at 40 than bly at 25.. The guys has guts and brains..

To go back on the field and still get 6-7 tackles with a dislocated elbow takes HUGE HUEVOUS..

TXBRONC
01-09-2009, 05:00 PM
Move Champ to free safety. Let the man play longer.

Hed kill at FS with a pass rush, and it wont be as hard on his body as CB is, especially in the groin area..............

He's still at the top of his game I wouldn't ask him to move to safety.